• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drakengard 3 |OT| This Silence Is Mine

Diamond

LnUGf6P.jpg

Creative Director: Yoko Taro
Character Design: Kimihiko Fujisaki
Music Director: Keiichi Okabe

Platform : PS3

Release date(s) :

JP - December 19, 2013 (released)
NA - May 20, 2014 (released)
EU - May 21, 2014
AUS - May 22, 2014

Moneyz : 50$/€, 40£

Cover Art

250px-Drakengard_3_boxart.png

aHikiw9.jpg

tumblr_mxmcy72yTJ1ql1k21o1_r1_500.jpg

pBT40rb.png

WEfF3BT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fCGrgbg.png

m1vS3Yg.jpg

ciqmaT0.jpg

L6qdc63.png

The Empty Tone (Feat. Emi Evans)
This Silence Is Mine

2vvH48A.png

Debut
First Trailer
Localization Reveal
First Trailer (Dubbed)

Screens

Tc42lBE.jpg

Destructoid : 8.5/10
Chris Carter said:
Drakengard 3 is a bit unconventional at times (like its developer) with tales of extreme hair cutting and dragon piss, but action fans will want to seek this one out immediately. Within 15 minutes I was drawn into its world and its cast of characters, and I wanted to see Zero's journey through from start to finish. If you like games like Nier, you'll love Drakengard 3.

Gamersyndrome : 7/10
Francesco De Meo said:
Drakengard 3 is a game that’s hard to recommend. Action and role playing gamers fans may find the basic gameplay experience more than decent but somewhat lacking and the role playing elements limited. At the same time, the story, characters and setting, while being good, are not as crazy as in the original Drakengard, something that will probably turn off long time fans of the series. Despite the obvious differences with the previous entries of the series, Drakengard 3 is just like the original: you either love it, despite the flaws, or you hate it. I personally liked it, recognizing, at the same time its objective flaws, but others will probably not share my sentiment.

Nichegamer : 7/10
Brandon Orselli said:
The Good : Completely insane yet brilliantly realized characters, absolutely mesmerizing soundtrack, a story that will keep you wanting to know how it all ends
The Bad : Noticeable performance issues, some environments are bland, too few monster designs

Polygon : 7/10
Alexa Ray Corriea said:
Drakengard 3's weirdness is its greatest asset. The narrative is intriguing, and the combat is fun enough, but it's the game's unapologetically unusual atmosphere that made me end up liking it. It almost lost me to the flood of colorful language and sex-crazed overtones, but those frustrating first few hours gave way to one of the most singular games I've ever experienced.

Game Informer : 6/10
Kimberley Wallace said:
As with past Drakengard games, the game has multiple endings. However, if playing through the game once is such a pain, I can’t imagine who would willingly go through such lackluster content multiple times. Drakengard 3 offers some bright spots at first, but those quickly flicker and fade. It simply doesn’t have enough to redeem itself from its laundry list of flaws.

GamesRadar : 3/5
Becky Cunningham said:
A darkly humorous action RPG with entertainingly fast-paced combat, Drakengard 3 is a unique experience marred by long load times, minor technical issues, and lackluster world design.

RPGamer : 6/10
Michael A. Cunningham said:
Overall, I enjoyed much of my time with Drakengard 3, but I couldn't help think that it could have been improved in many ways. The boss fights, writing and character dialogue, music, and art design are all great. Unfortunately, the repetitive combat in bland, empty areas is often too tedious, especially when plagued with camera issues, weak AI, and graphical slowdown. If you are willing to look past these issues, there is fun to be had here, but the problems are hard to ignore.

IGN : 4.8/10
Meghan Sullivan said:
A unique RPG experience is ruined by poor visuals, repetitive gameplay, and shallow characters.

Dualshockers : 4/10
Tony Polanco said:
The makings of a good game are hidden somewhere under the boring combat, murky graphics and juvenile and confusing plot. If you’re into mindlessly killing hordes of enemies or hearing sexual jokes then this is right up your alley. If not then it’s best to skip Drakengard 3 and play something else instead.

cWbuK0i.jpg

Awesome OT.

Will probably buy the game digitally on EU PSN when discounted. This game's westside release is all sorts of fucked. I'll just spin the soundtrack some more until then.

Still excited to see what Taro has come up with.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Haven't played a Drakengard game before, but from a gameplay and visual perspective, D3 was a huge disappointment.
Still, I've cleared it until the very last stage, where I gave up, because I value my sanity.
Loved the characters and the jokes during dialogues though.

Eagerly looking forward to this, but importing from NA for a physical copy means I have to wait. I think Square Enix has made a real mess of it's western release but still hyped to play this.

cj_iwakura

Can't wait. Amazon'd, I have no love for Digital Ripoff.

And Diamond deserves every accolade for the gorgeous banners.

Have there been any reviews yet?

Tizoc

Awesome OT.

Will probably buy the game digitally on EU PSN when discounted. This game's westside release is all sorts of fucked. I'll just spin the soundtrack some more until then.

Still excited to see what Taro has come up with.

Why not get it off US PSN which would be cheaper?

Liked the first Drakengard, couldn't stand the second..........and am really interested in the 3rd one. Will pick this up at best buy with my discount......really looking forward to what they did with the PS3, game just looks brutal combat wise.

Have there been any reviews yet?

If the horrible graphics, repetitive gameplay and uninspired soundtrack aren't enough to drive you away from Drakengard 3, then the horribly misogynistic plot and characters should be.
4/10

There. A professional video game review of Drakengard 3. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Why not get it off US PSN which would be cheaper?

I like to have everything on a single account.

Watched a few playthroughs. I like the tone and voice acting. That framerate sometimes though makes the game look like a slideshow.

cj_iwakura

If the horrible graphics, repetitive gameplay and uninspired soundtrack aren't enough to drive you away from Drakengard 3, then the horribly misogynistic plot and characters should be.
4/10

There. A professional video game review of Drakengard 3. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Awesome, can go right on the back cover. I'd frame it.

Yazuka

Hoping my copy will arrive at the end of next week. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Imported so I could get a physical release. Damn, bullshit not giving Europe a physical release. =/

Terra_Ex

Looking forward to playing this but gotta wait for my physical import copy to make its way to the UK first (thanks for that Square...) so I'll be waiting a little while longer.

Xord

When this was anounced I was really excited. But after Parkeetman's warnings I am scared that its a waste to spend 50 euro on this.

cj_iwakura

When this was anounced I was really excited. But after Parkeetman's warnings I am scared that its a waste to spend 50 euro on this.

Everyone loathed D1. I enjoyed it. So I'm willing to judge for myself.

Also, this OT was a collaborative effort, mine just came down to getting bios and graphics from the main site.

Square really did a bang-up job on it.
http://drakengardgame.com/

Holykael1

Banned
A site called Gamer Syndrome gave it a 7/10. Seems to be the only one so far.
http://gamersyndrome.com/2014/ps3/ps3-reviews/drakengard-3-review/

"PROS

Excellent characters and story
Multi-weapon types system adds interesting combat possibilities
Sidequests and aerial combat add some variety to the basic experience
Excellent soundtrack"

That's all the incentive I needed to hear. If it's anything like Nier it will be gold.
I doubt the game will be "misogynistic", there was nothing of the sort in Nier and the same person directed that game. Sounds like another "Mario Kart is racist" situation.

cj_iwakura

"PROS

Excellent soundtrack"

That's all the incentive I needed to hear. If it's anything like Nier it will be gold.
I doubt the game will be "misogynistic", there was nothing of the sort in Nier and the same person directed that game. Sounds like another "Mario Kart is racist" situation.

Also, the women are pretty much in control of the men in D3, so I think it's anything but misogynistic.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
"PROS

Excellent soundtrack"

excellent story? lol no. It by far is the WORST in the series. Unless you are not a fan of the series I highly doubt you would be enjoying the story in comparison.

Its nothing like Nier really, as Id actually consider that to be a good game, though it did spread itself thin with the many things it had attempted to do.

---

Good luck to all those who still are getting the game. Esp those poor bastards who are trying to get their copies from DR. Seems like its been a nightmare for them judging from the other thread.

Xord

Why has the OT not any basic information like the release date ?
Edit: oh wait you can click on the images ;)

Holykael1

Banned
excellent story? lol no. It by far is the WORST in the series. Unless you are not a fan of the series I highly doubt you would be enjoying the story in comparison.

Hmm.. I will take a chance on it, I like Nier too much, it's one of my favourite games story wise ever. Even if it's "the worst in the series" it might still be pretty good in it's own right.

We'll see. Thanks for the advice nonetheless.

SJW? And I'm sure someone'll claim it eventually.

Let's see, all the women are depicted as sex-crazed, unlikable human beings.

Social Justice Warrior (Kinda like "posers" of the civil rights movement)

Dantis

Hoping this goes on sale at some point. I kinda want to play it, but digital only sucks and I bet Square charge the full £39.99.

Also, Two, Three and Four have great designs. Two's is best.

Holy shit, now I want this game after hearing this dialogue in a Youtube video:

Mikhail:
"Wow, look at the water here, it's so pretty!"
Zero:
"Just sink the goddamn battleship."

So excited for this game, though my only worry is making sure that my collectors edition arrives at my new address, as I had it sent to my previous place before realizing I would be moving in a few months.

Been waiting so long for this.

cj_iwakura

Release info added.

By the way, all the gameplay and character icons are links.

Avatars are pending too, so please understand be excited.

SheHateMe

I'm excited for it. I am. I bought the CE (it's on it's way now!) and despite the things I've heard about it, I still want to play it. I've spent money on quirky games before... This'll be no different.

Besides, it reminds me of Kill Bill... but with dragons and shit.

Clov

I'm really excited for this, game looks like it will be right up my alley. As someone who loved Deadly Premonition (made by the same developer as this!), "Flower, Sun, and Rain", and even the first Drakengard, I can put with with a bit of jankiness if there's a really interesting and bizarre story within.

Been listening to the soundtrack of this for months, it's great! The Intoners' battle themes are really exciting to listen to. Hoping my copy of the game arrives soon, some of my friends got interested in it and want to try it out.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
The only weapon you will need in the game is really just the spear. Not the heavy type attack animation one though. Since you can just cheese the enemy to death with it quite often.

Everything else for the most part isnt too efficient to use regardless of how cool it may look. As getting hit at the same time is generally a bad thing.

Top Bottom