• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drakengard 3 |OT| This Silence Is Mine

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Are there towns a la Nier, or just action setpieces like D1? How are quests handled?

There are no towns you can freely walk around. You just pick the mission you want to play from a menu. The same menu is used for upgrading/equipping weapons, buying items, choosing you allies etc.

OK. Maybe I'll try grabbing D1 at some point since it seems to be fairly cheap. I just didn't want to start this one first if it would have been worth while to play the previous games first.

D1 is a chore to play. I wouldn't recommend it. You'd be better off watching a play through on YouTube or reading this: http://lparchive.org/Drakengard/

Also, if you want to see the ending that leads into Nier you have to collect all the weapons (there's like 60 I think), which again is an absolute CHORE!

I had the CE pre-ordered, but I canceled it after hearing the game wasn't very good. Now I'm having 2nd thoughts, I guess I'll wait for more impressions.

D1 is a chore to play. I wouldn't recommend it. You'd be better off watching a play through on YouTube or reading this: http://lparchive.org/Drakengard/

Also, if you want to see the ending that leads into Nier you have to collect all the weapons (there's like 60 I think), which again is an absolute CHORE!
While I too would recommend reading the Dark Id's LP, I think there's still some value in playing the game because of its shitty design being weirdly in sync with the ever increasing bleakness of the story, along with the soundtrack getting more fucked up and broken sounding as it goes on. There's something to experiencing it that isn't quite the same as watching or reading it.

Josephl64

Are the characters' ages known at all? Mainly the sisters and Mikhail?

this is pre-game but and don't think it's a spoiler but just in case:

I believe all we know is Zero died at 17 with the others just being estimates oh and Mikhail is a little older than 1 if I remember

Groof

Hypehypehypehypehypehypehype

So English or Japanese? Are there any opinions on this yet?

Great ot BTW!

K.Sabot

While I too would recommend reading the Dark Id's LP, I think there's still some value in playing the game because of its shitty design being weirdly in sync with the ever increasing bleakness of the story, along with the soundtrack getting more fucked up and broken sounding as it goes on. There's something to experiencing it that isn't quite the same as watching or reading it.

I completely agree with the gameplay informing the story. You get a certain atmosphere out of slaughtering a whole army mixed the repetition of the music and the heaviness of color tone.

Groof

Japanese because Mamiko Noto.

Well I'll be downloading the Japanese voices anyway.

Also, got off work early and found this waiting for me (EU):

_DSC5118.JPG

Very hype.

Eirulan

Well I'll be downloading the Japanese voices anyway.

Also, got off work early and found this waiting for me (EU):

Very hype.

Really beautiful.
Now I'm jealous :)
Guess I have to wait for my copy two weeks. Ships from Kanada to Germany...

Majmun

pleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegood

I loved the first two games, but I'm only reading lukewarm impressions for this game so far :(

koutoru

pleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegood

I loved the first two games, but I'm only reading lukewarm impressions for this game so far :(

gamersyndrome seemed ok with it. They gave it a 7/10.

http://gamersyndrome.com/2014/ps3/ps3-reviews/drakengard-3-review/

PROS

Excellent characters and story
Multi-weapon types system adds interesting combat possibilities
Sidequests and aerial combat add some variety to the basic experience
Excellent soundtrack

CONS

Technical issues, uneven frame rate, plenty of screen tearing
Limited role playing game elements
The action lacks any real depth, as gamers don’t have any real incentive in doing complex combos.
The overall tone of the game may turn off long time Drakengard fans.

Szadek

Really beautiful.
Now I'm jealous :)
Guess I have to wait for my copy two weeks. Ships from Kanada to Germany...
I was thinking about importing the US version,in fact I was going to till the CE for europe was announcement.
I really don't want to wait for several more weeks before playing it

Groof

Looks like the UK Collector's Edition, only contains a digital copy of the game.

Yep, but you still get a proper PS3 game box, just that it contains the OST sampler instead of a game disc. I could redeem my code, but the actual game + Japanese VO isn't available until the 21st. The DLC was downloadable though.

kn1ves24

How is the OST for this? I'm assuming its close to NEIR quality stuff. From what I've heard it sounds good but I've been avoiding alot of it cause I like to experience the soundtrack within the context of the game/gameplay first.

Dantis

How is the OST for this? I'm assuming its close to NEIR quality stuff. From what I've heard it sounds good but I've been avoiding alot of it cause I like to experience the soundtrack within the context of the game/gameplay first.

From what I've heard, it's miles worse than Nier's OST. It's still interesting, but doesn't seem to compare, really.

Synless

From what I've heard, it's miles worse than Nier's OST. It's still interesting, but doesn't seem to compare, really.
This is correct, it is no where near as good. Not a bad soundtrack however, just lost in the shadow of Nier's epic OST.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Its different but good in its own way.

Vanille

Stage themes are bland and repeated ad nauseam. Boss themes are fantastic.

Namikaze

My amazon order is preparing for shipment. It's happening.

I was watching a "Lets play" of sorts of the Japanese version. Looks really fun.

Szadek

My copy has arrived,I will download at the week end when I visit my family.
Downloading a game that big with my crappy internet connection would most likely take longer anyway.

creyas

Almost ordered from videogamesplus but remembered at the last second i'd have to finally bother to set up a US account to purchase the japanese audio DLC. Guess i'll get the digital edition later on when it gets a sale.. e: really close to not caring

So I just got my copy and I was wondering...where the heck is all my preorder dlc stuff?

US or EU?

When did you preorder?

Did you check your email and/or look up your order status on the Squeenix/Digital River site?

Did you look inside the case? I read that some of the DLC comes inside the case.

Are you EU?

No, but I think they sent it to a different email. When I went to log on it had two letters of my email mixed up so I think that's why. Well, I'm sure this will be fun to try and explain.

Also I ordered way back in January, so I don't think that's the problem. Stupid letters and not being in place.

Gbraga

I'm scared with the negative impressions from players. Nier is a masterpiece to me, so I never expected that to be as good as Nier, but I was at least expecting a nice story >_>

Holykael1

Banned
Snapped some photos of the trio:

Maybe I'm hyping myself up too much. But I really want to play.

Are you EU?

Dude where's Nier xD

Nier is basically Drakengard 3 and Drakengard 3 is Drakengard 4.

Originally, shortly after Drakengard 2 was released when the PlayStation 3 was coming out, it was Yoko who approached Shiba with the original Drakengard 3 concept, but was turned down at the time. "Mr. Shiba told me 'I'm not interested in making a console game right now.'" Yoko recalled. "That conceptual idea got tossed around a bit and eventually became the game, NieR. So for me, NieR is Drakengard 3." (Apparently there was even an idea to call Drakengard 3, Drakengard 4.)

Source Kotaku

No, but I think they sent it to a different email. When I went to log on it had two letters of my email mixed up so I think that's why. Well, I'm sure this will be fun to try and explain.

Also I ordered way back in January, so I don't think that's the problem. Stupid letters and not being in place.
If you ordered in January you won't be getting any of the DLC. Only orders placed in February (when the preorder bonuses were announced) were eligible to get them. If you ordered BEFORE February you had to cancel and then reorder.

Might wanna double check when you placed that order.

kn1ves24

So I just checked my tracking number and supposedly my CE has been delivered to my house. The official release date isn't till tomorrow correct? Since I have the physical disc I can play tonight right? The dlc just isn't available

Tohsaka

So I just checked my tracking number and supposedly my CE has been delivered to my house. The official release date isn't till tomorrow correct? Since I have the physical disc I can play tonight right? The dlc just isn't available

The DLC is already available, actually. I downloaded the Japanese voice pack and other stuff the other day with the pre-order bonus code they e-mailed to me.

If you ordered in January you won't be getting any of the DLC. Only orders placed in February (when the preorder bonuses were announced) were eligible to get them. If you ordered BEFORE February you had to cancel and then reorder.

Might wanna double check when you placed that order.

That's stupid. I didn't cancel and reorder because I used paypal and they charged me when I placed my order, which I was under they impression they wouldn't do but did regardless. That's really dumb. Hopefully they can at least get the whole email situation sorted out. And it was definitely in January cause that's when I got charged. So oh well I guess.

Holykael1

Banned
Just bought Drakengard 1 in preparation for getting this next month... It was super cheap, ridiculously so.. Im almost suspicious it will be a broken mess but it was "Used - Very Good" on amazon but since there is no pic, it's hard to tell.. The game was 3 euros..

kn1ves24

The DLC is already available, actually. I downloaded the Japanese voice pack and other stuff the other day with the pre-order bonus code they e-mailed to me.

I haven't used my code yet. I heard people were downloading it but I figured it was like a preload option and wouldn't "activate" till the 20th. I'm probably wrong. The VO stuff is like 14gb right?

kn1ves24

That's stupid. I didn't cancel and reorder because I used paypal and they charged me when I placed my order, which I was under they impression they wouldn't do but did regardless. That's really dumb. Hopefully they can at least get the whole email situation sorted out. And it was definitely in January cause that's when I got charged. So oh well I guess.

That sucks. I ordered through DigitalRiver with paypal too(but in Feb.) I was a little pissed that they charged me immediately for the order even though it was implying it wouldn't. Needless to say this is my first and last order through DigitalRiver.

Top Bottom