• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey |OT| Book One: Reborn

Terra_Ex

Nice OT, I horribly misjudged how long it'd take me to replay the original games in time for Chapters release. Will be jumping right into this when my replays are done, hopefully it lives up to its predecessors.

SparkTR

Nice OT, I horribly misjudged how long it'd take me to replay the original games in time for Chapters release. Will be jumping right into this when my replays are done, hopefully it lives up to its predecessors.

It took me 20 hours to complete the original TLJ, and another 12 for Dreamfall. Definitely on the lengthy side of things considering they're Adventure games.

I'm glad I read the recap of the old ones because I can barely remember anything. Mines installing now. Might stream it but I'm usually awful at adventure games so it might be frustrating for people to see me fumble around lol.
Yeah, I'm glad I took the time to write them, as I kept having the reaction of "wait, I don't remember that," when reading various wikis and the like for the lore and plot of the previous games. If nothing else, it helped refresh my memory a lot.

FoneBone

So if I had a Humble Store account (I didn't, though I've previously bought bundles from them), the key is supposed to already be in my account? That's not how Broken Age worked on there...

inm8num2

So if I had a Humble Store account (I didn't, though I've previously bought bundles from them), the key is supposed to already be in my account? That's not how Broken Age worked on there...

Your Humble page will be associated with the email you used on Kickstarter/PayPal. Try to use the key resender with your associated backer email. You can also verify with BackerKit.

inm8num2

That worked, thanks! Not sure why I didn't get an email alert from Humble though.

I'm not sure if alerts go out by default. My experience from a few KS projects has been that redemption/reward pages show up in my Humble account as "unclaimed keys" without notification, since my Humble and Kickstarter/backer emails are the same. Then I just had to claim respective pages and voila! Glad you resolved your issue. :)

Any ETA on when it will be finished? I want to wait until all episodes are out. It's been a long wait so a little bit longer won't hurt...

Conezays

Think I'm going to replay TLJ/Dreamfall before diving into this. Stoked to hear more impressions, glad to hear the writing is supposedly good. I'd forgotten how good the writing/voice acting is in the older games.

To the above poster, I believe they've mentioned wanting to have them all out within a year and/or following similar release schedule to The Walking Dead.

Any ETA on when it will be finished? I want to wait until all episodes are out. It's been a long wait so a little bit longer won't hurt...
It will probably take a year, give or take a few months. They have said they're going to follow a similar model to The Walking Dead, so expecting a new episode every 2-3 months seems reasonable.

Think I'm going to replay TLJ/Dreamfall before diving into this. Stoked to hear more impressions, glad to hear the writing is supposedly good. I'd forgotten how good the writing/voice acting is in the older games.
Same. I planned on doing it, but got distracted by other games. Given how much I've forgotten, I feel like I need to replay them again.

It will probably take a year, give or take a few months. They have said they're going to follow a similar model to The Walking Dead, so expecting a new episode every 2-3 months seems reasonable..

I can wait that long.

Hope they're good. Although Dreamfall wasn't as good as TLJ I still really liked it and I'm glad this series can be finished. Thought it was gonna be a Shenmue situation...

epmode

Offering early access to the game was such a poor choice for a backer reward. I'm glad I'll be playing a fixed version.

I haven't run into any of those issues but I haven't played with the default subtitle options. Fewer bugs is always nice though!

Begaria

I played TLJ a long time ago, when it came out, but never got around to Dreamfall. I really enjoyed TLJ, so I think I'll track down a good LP of Dreamfall (or just read a synopsis), and hop on Chapters after some impressions.

epmode

I'd suggest playing it. Even though it was from the Xbox era, the PC version is really well done. It supports all sorts of aspect ratios, resolutions and controllers. Load times are practically non-existent.

While it's a ~12 hour game, that's almost all content. There are very few puzzles, and what's there is very easy.

Vlodril

Damnit at the delay. Have been looking forward to playing it all day and now it will be late at 5 hours so i guess tomorrow. Not a big issue but still annoying :p

Guess back to wasteland for today.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't run into any of those issues but I haven't played with the default subtitle options. Fewer bugs is always nice though!

That's a good thing.

I've also realized I should clarify my comment. I'm not against the concept of early access games, but in this case, if they were offering early access, it should've been as a beta for players to offer feedback on, ala Wasteland 2. Letting them play it a few hours early, only to hit a critical bug in what is supposed to be a finished product (with the admission that there are lesser bugs to be addressed) seems less savory to me. That is what I meant by poor choice.

jamsy

So I'm really interested in this game/series, but I've tried to play The Longest Journey on my laptop and it keeps crashing. I should be able to run Dreamfall OK but the first game keeps crapping out on me...

Is it really necessary to play the TLJ to fully enjoy the sequels?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm really interested in this game/series, but I've tried to play The Longest Journey on my laptop and it keeps crashing. I should be able to run Dreamfall OK but the first game keeps crapping out on me...

Is it really necessary to play the TLJ to fully enjoy the sequels?

Fully? Yes.

If you're content with an incomplete picture, with trips to the community wiki to fill in the gaps, then you'll be fine. Not if you want to fully immerse yourself in the story, though.

I hope you're able to work your technical problems out. Maybe it's a compatibility issue?

While I share the sentiment that we've waited this long, making a few extra hours nothing... I know deep inside those of us who have been waiting for today (not to mention all my kickstarter pals) are fidgeting with tiny swmi-rage monsters squatting atop our excitement as we await the release.

Hopefully sometime after my media delivery systems class I'll be able to start downloading. Does anyone know the total size?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Wasn't there a mod for the PC SKU of Dreamfall that removed the absolutely awful combat parts?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Also, what is the deal the the "Special Edition" that seems to be the only way to purchase the game right now?

When the game is released, will there immediately be a cheaper version that doesn't have a bunch of PDFs and wallpapers?

GavinUK86

I've been playing it for about 5 hours now and there are tons of visual bugs everywhere, especially with the lens flare effects.

Performance is atrocious too. I put everything on low and at 720p and it was still chugging along at 20fps in places. It seems to be like that no matter what settings you choose. 1080p and High or 720p and Low. It still hangs at 20fps.

It'll probably be delayed until tomorrow or possibly even later considering how rough it feels.

Story wise though, it's interesting. Not as gripping as the previous two but enough to make me want to carry on.

Also, what is the deal the the "Special Edition" that seems to be the only way to purchase the game right now?

When the game is released, will there immediately be a cheaper version that doesn't have a bunch of PDFs and wallpapers?
Not sure. The only place that I didn't see it specified was on Humble, where it's also $5 cheaper. No idea if it comes with the extras, so I omitted them from the list.

aasoncott

I've been playing it for about 5 hours now and there are tons of visual bugs everywhere, especially with the lens flare effects.

Performance is atrocious too. I put everything on low and at 720p and it was still chugging along at 20fps in places. It seems to be like that no matter what settings you choose. 1080p and High or 720p and Low. It still hangs at 20fps.

It'll probably be delayed until tomorrow or possibly even later considering how rough it feels.

Story wise though, it's interesting. Not as gripping as the previous two but enough to make me want to carry on.

Yeah, the lens flare issues are pretty annoying, especially since I can see exactly why they're happening. I just want to reach into the code and fix it. It's such a simple problem.

Performance was great until I got to chapter 2. Had to drop quality and resolution to keep going--but only when I'm "outside".

GavinUK86

Yeah, the lens flare issues are pretty annoying, especially since I can see exactly why they're happening. I just want to reach into the code and fix it. It's such a simple problem.

Performance was great until I got to chapter 2. Had to drop quality and resolution to keep going--but only when I'm "outside".

Yeah, the fps in the city dropped to the 20's for me.

Vlodril

so it went from 2 hours a bit a go to coming soon now. i am guessing that worse? :p

and now i can't connect to steam wth..

GavinUK86

@RedThreadGames 2 minutes ago
#Dreamfall #Chapters is uploading to Steam! Humble + GOG to follow! We are CLOSE, people!
NUyttbn.gif

GavinUK86

People with performance issues...what kind of hardware are you running?

2600k, 8gb ram and gtx660. pretty old now in hardware years but it should be enough to run this comfortably. i guess a lot of it will be sorted when we get the new version though.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I didn't know what is happening with this game, why I can't preload it and it's not available yet, now I know.

Slowdive

Banned
It should be out soon.

@RedThreadGames 38 minutes ago
Scratch that again, we’re back online with Steam! We panicked for no reason whatsoever, as usual. Update coming soon! Release is imminent!

wrowa

Apparently a retail version of Chapters is available since today in Germany. Does anyone know if the disc contains the actual game or is it just a Steam key inside of a DVD case?

Top Bottom