• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drew Scanlon launches Cloth Map (Patreon)

That was a fun little video! Now I want to go to Ukraine to eat ramen. What's his pace going to be for releases? Is he going on a set schedule when he has a video series done or is he just releasing them as he can?

I don't know that you can really set a hard schedule for this type of work. Look at Danny O'Dwyer who was supposed to release a doc every month but has kind of petered out after his first two documentaries.

lol yeah I saw the game and edited for technicality's sake. :p

Cuz irresponsibility?

Two weeks ago I had a flight that was supposed to leave at 4:45, and was a 45 minute drive away.

I left at 1:15 and had to sprint in the airport to make it in time because Chicago highways are FUCKED.

Shit happens.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I don't know that you can really set a hard schedule for this type of work. Look at Danny O'Dwyer who was supposed to release a doc every month but has kind of petered out after his first two documentaries.

O'Dwyer was just in Japan filming though. You can't expect a finished documentary every month.

BOTEC

Everything about Cloth Map has been great so far.

First update: "Uhh, hi guys. I missed my flight."

This is going to be AMAZING.

jambo

While Danny hasn't strictly been sticking to the monthly timeline he briefly mentioned in his launch video, he's hardly put out just two documentaries.

So far he's done Rocket League, DOOM, Romero, Mystery, Frog Fractions, Frog Fractions 2, Spelunky, The Witness and now the Sessions minis as he works on the FFXIV doco.

Pretty good for 7 months worth.

sikkinixx

While Danny hasn't strictly been sticking to the monthly timeline he briefly mentioned in his launch video, he's hardly put out just two documentaries.

So far he's done Rocket League, DOOM, Romero, Mystery, Frog Fractions, Frog Fractions 2, Spelunky, The Witness and now the Sessions minis as he works on the FFXIV doco.

Pretty good for 7 months worth.

I found his last few things, especially the Spelunky one, very disappointing. Not really digging deep into things as much as I figured he would. The doom and rocket league ones were outstanding through.

So far Drew has been great. Lots of fun to see his travels (brief as they have been so far). Editing is top notch and he's just a delight.

Weetrick

I think most if not all stores near me have both.
I imagine lines move faster when the there's no weighing at the register, unless someone forgets to do it themselves.

In my experience, the bottleneck is usually with the bagger. Even with weighing, the cashier usually moves groceries through quicker than the bagger can bag them. I don't think customer weighing would save much time. I could be completely wrong though!

Strax

In my experience, the bottleneck is usually with the bagger. Even with weighing, the cashier usually moves groceries through quicker than the bagger can bag them. I don't think customer weighing would save much time. I could be completely wrong though!

No baggers here

Weetrick

No baggers here

Yeah, that's why I think customer weighing would help some regions but not others.

The only thing similar near me is for loose items like nuts and seeds. You have to scoop and bag them yourself, then write the item number on a tag. But the cashier still weighs it.

Weetrick

I hope the camera is less shaky in future videos. I know this video was mostly candid shots of him travelling and moving around, but I was conscious of it the whole time. I'm sure future videos with interviews and on-location shots will put those tripods to use.

That being said, I've enjoyed all the videos so far and I'm looking forward to more! Drew is an awesome dude and perfect for this kind of project.

Thanks for destroying America, Drew.
tlAC5oj.png

Thanks for destroying America, Drew.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't know if I could've pushed that button. I don't mean during wartime or launching actual nuclear missiles or anything; I mean literally do what Drew just did, even knowing that the base has been decommissioned for almost two decades and is just a museum now. There's a tiny but incredibly paranoid voice in the back of my head that would be like "WHAT IF THERE'S STILL A NUCLEAR MISSILE HOOKED UP MAN DON'T DO IT"

Super neat episode!

I love how open that guide was about his willingness to kill himself if that particular situation occurred.

Awesome video as always. Love Drew. So happy he is getting to do this as a career.

sirap

Great video, loved the dark humor. Wish the camera work was a bit better but I understand how difficult it is to film in a cramped environment.

Ledbetter

Great video. It was very unsettling to see Drew in those tight spaces and the tour guide was too cool.

Can't wait to watch the rest of the travel videos.

ike_

God that video made me realize how intensely morbid it must be to be a war planner. "This vehicle has a redundant driver cockpit in case his friend passes out and dies from radiation poisoning while driving." But somehow they incorporated some levity (S-18 missiles? Satan missiles?)

Watching this and then listening to the "Camp X" episode from the Stuff You Should Know podcast in the same day has changed me as a human.

Thanks Drew. Not even joking. Can't wait for the next episode.

AaronMT86

I take it the seatbelt/strap in the C&C chair is meant for the actual missile launches that follow the push of the button and the entire rumbling of the facility right?

Liamc723

While both videos have been fun to watch, I'm still not seeing the point of them in relation to videogames.

There's literally no link?

totowhoa

Banned
While both videos have been fun to watch, I'm still not seeing the point of them in relation to videogames.

I'm guessing/hoping those are the main videos yet to come. I'm not following his patreon updates. Either way, these videos have been cool.

BOTEC

Was there ever any promise of this being a video game-centric project? I always thought it would be Drew-travels-the-world-and-meets-up-with-interesting-people-to-maybe-play-some-games. These videos so far are exactly what I expected.

Was there ever any promise of this being a video game-centric project? I always thought it would be Drew-travels-the-world-and-meets-up-with-interesting-people-to-maybe-play-some-games. These videos so far are exactly what I expected.

From the OP

Cloth Map is a video series that explores how games impact the lives of people around the world. Games are a universal concept, but can take drastically different forms from culture to culture. By exploring these differences, I hope to not only expand our definition of “games,” but also remind ourselves that no matter our background, everyone on Earth loves having a good time.

He doesn't specify video games, but games are a focus in his mission statement.

Top Bottom