• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

It's the above that lead people to say shit like DC has no "soul" or "personality". Fuck off... if you have to rely on a voiceover to add "soul" to your game, you're fucking doing it wrong.
Its one of the most head scratching complaints I heard about this game at its launch and it was repeated by an alarming amount of people. It's such a shallow opinion.

"I need to have someone telling me how good I am. I need constant validation!"

That's all I hear when someone says DC has no soul. Dumbest fucking complaint in the history of video games.

Varvor

Is there any word on new steering wheels to be released in near future?

I am running out of options here, i tried $120 version of Thrustmaster wheel....and it was puuuuuuuure garbage,like literally the worst wheel i ever tried (perhaps my case was isolated), so i returned it. I bought ChronoMax controller emulator the other day...its little above my technical understanding to get my Logitec Momo to work.....

So now i am sitting here all sad because i really want to enjoy this game with wheel but there is no wheel to play this game with :(((((((((((

Why is it taking so long for other companies to release this stuff?

Tubie

Is there any word on new steering wheels to be released in near future?

I am running out of options here, i tried $120 version of Thrustmaster wheel....and it was puuuuuuuure garbage,like literally the worst wheel i ever tried (perhaps my case was isolated), so i returned it. I bought ChronoMax controller emulator the other day...its little above my technical understanding to get my Logitec Momo to work.....

So now i am sitting here all sad because i really want to enjoy this game with wheel but there is no wheel to play this game with :(((((((((((

Why is it taking so long for other companies to release this stuff?

We will probably get a good wheel when GT7 comes out and that's probably still like 2 years away.

I just had one of the most amazing immersive moments ever in a racing game. I'm in the tour doing a point A to point B race with 11 other cars. It's a Norway course, one where you have to climb the mountain. Race starts with the sun out and through the most part I'm in the middle of the pack playing a very clean race (no using other cars for cushions and such). Towards the end of the track at the bridges I manage to pull off a really good set of turns that finally puts me neck and neck with first place. The sun has now set, everyone's headlights are on. Up ahead is the final turn, it's rated GREEN and barely looks like a turn. I figure if I tap my brakes even a little I'll lose the neck and neck battle, so I commit to pushing the accelerator all the way through the turn . . .

All seemingly goes to plan, until right as I'm pulling out of the turn I bump into the guard rail which sends my car flying. Suddenly I'm in midair and flipping out of control, mind you I've been doing the entire race in cockpit view. As I flip out I see first place pass the finish line and a handful of others pass me up while the fireworks go off in celebration. I hit the ground roof first and continue to flip over a few more times as the remaining drivers all pass my by avoiding getting tangled in the mess. Finally I come to a stop with my wheels on the ground. I back up back onto the road and cross over the finish line which was only 50 feet in front of me. Good enough for last place.

Then I pressed the share button and apparently it only recorded 2 seconds into the end of race screen.

Its one of the most head scratching complaints I heard about this game at its launch and it was repeated by an alarming amount of people. It's such a shallow opinion.

That's all I hear when someone says DC has no soul. Dumbest fucking complaint in the history of video games.
Driveclub has more soul than most racers I've played because, like Evolution's Motorstorm series, the opponent AI didn't all secretly sign some truce to make sure that no matter whichever one of them wins the player loses. The opponent AI well often get very aggressive with each other. And the AI aren't perfect, it's possible for them to mess up big time. It's so awesome when you're driving full speed down a straight when all of a sudden the AI get too aggressive with each other and start spinning out and suddenly you have to navigate through a crash scene you played no part in creating. That right there is what gives Driveclub a soul that feels alive, and what I don't see enough of in other racers. Though maybe I just don't play enough racing games.

Ranger X

Driveclub has more soul than most racers I've played because, like Evolution's Motorstorm series, the opponent AI didn't all secretly sign some truce to make sure that no matter whichever one of them wins the player loses. The opponent AI well often get very aggressive with each other. And the AI aren't perfect, it's possible for them to mess up big time. It's so awesome when you're driving full speed down a straight when all of a sudden the AI get too aggressive with each other and start spinning out and suddenly you have to navigate through a crash scene you played no part in creating. That right there is what gives Driveclub a soul that feels alive, and what I don't see enough of in other racers. Though maybe I just don't play enough racing games.

Evolution are EXCELLENT at arcade racers. I hope Driveclub might also become a series like Motorstorm (am even ready for a new Motorstorm)
To point out also its the best dev out there for fictive (but realistic) tracks.

This this this, so much fucking THIS.

It's the above that lead people to say shit like DC has no "soul" or "personality". Fuck off... if you have to rely on a voiceover to add "soul" to your game, you're fucking doing it wrong.

I honestly felt baffled hearing that complaint. Usually when a game I'm anticipating a lot comes out and ends up getting review scores that's lower then I expected, I tend to disagree and say everyone is just crazy or w/e and after a few weeks or so I start to feel why the scores reflect that but that hasn't happened with Driveclub. I STILL feel like some of the scores were absolutely ridiculous. Especially the 4/10 Driveclub score.

Merun

Little cross post for videos from the unofficial OT3 where people want easier AI, less "rubberbanding", or AI that slow down on wet track.

I don't know what to think either. The AI has provided me some good challenges and fun in the newest DLC. Here are some recording.

Renault Invitational with Alpine A110-50. I had a dogfight with the Twin'Run AI and I lost, followed by my revengeance.

http://youtu.be/zVpYs06wLIY

Then the 2 last races of the Element Trophy in a Pagani Zonda R, rising sun with snow, and night with snow. I have restarted a number of time the first race of the video, but the very last one, it was my first try.

http://youtu.be/hwLDYwMlHYU

Also, notice who rams who in those video lol. Collision penalty are really accidents, I swear ! Also, I don't have a wheel.

No, I'm not the cleanest driver against the AI lol...

I have to say I was a bit disappointed by the beta earlier this year and was kind of waiting for the PS Plus Edition to come out and make my purchase decision after that. However, all these awesome gifs, weather updates, game patches and all the recent good feedback here sold me the game this weekend. And can't say I'm disappointed anymore! Even though I have always preferred the sim type racers I have really enjoyed the races so far and can see myself playing this game a lot.

I'm also looking for a club to join so let me know if any of you have an open spot. My PSN id is Rabbitweed.

crispyben

Holy shit at the difficulty spike (for me) at the end of the Elements DLC! I had some difficulties with a few events before, but the Venom Hot Lap 2 and then the last two events in the final cup are a nightmare for me... I can barely see the road (or the fucking cars parked on the side of it)! It seems some of you managed it, but I think I'll have to call it a night (eh). Hopefully the rest of the DLC isn't that hard (like the previous ones), or I might come to regret buying the season pass! Still, the game looks and feels awesome :)

Holy shit at the difficulty spike (for me) at the end of the Elements DLC! I had some difficulties with a few events before, but the Venom Hot Lap 2 and then the last two events in the final cup are a nightmare for me... I can barely see the road (or the fucking cars parked on the side of it)! It seems some of you managed it, but I think I'll have to call it a night (eh). Hopefully the rest of the DLC isn't that hard (like the previous ones), or I might come to regret buying the season pass! Still, the game looks and feels awesome :)

If you aren't driving in 3rd person, you should try it. It increases visibility a bit. Especially at the corners of the screen. I usually drive in with the hood cam but I've done the venom hotlap 2 and the last race in 3rd person.

crispyben

If you aren't driving in 3rd person, you should try it. It increases visibility a bit. Especially at the corners of the screen. I usually drive in with the hood cam but I've done the venom hotlap 2 and the last race in 3rd person.
I'm already using the chase cam, but thanks... Maybe I should adjust the contrast or brightness on my TV?

Merun

I did everything with the hood cam, but pick whatever is best for you.

Second race took me quite a few retry to learn the quirks. But on the straight, when I'm not sure sometime, I will just slow down, especially on the second half of the track. In fact, following a car might help ( except if it crash in front of you ), then you overtake it with the last few hairpins.

Last race, I used the flags to get an idea of where are the corner, and only floored the throttle when I was sure that I had a straight line, based on my memory. There are also some light red bordering the track which can help. However, there are some corners, I floored the throttle because I felt like I turned enough. Very strange sensation to accelerate into the dark with so little conviction and just guts.

Handal

Am I the only one having trouble connecting to online stuff atm ?

Yesterday everything was working fine, but now I can't connect to anything :/

desu

Am I the only one having trouble connecting to online stuff atm ?

Yesterday everything was working fine, but now I can't connect to anything :/

Was working for me earlier, but everything seemed a lot slower than the other days before.

One minor complain: If the AI slams into you, you shouldn't get hit with a collision penalty.

This is the best racer I have ever played... but that is not saying much as I have not played a ton of racers. I think the last one I bought was Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec for PS2, but I have played Burnout on a friend's system.

Handal

Actually, after a bit of time, I can load stuff related to Driveclub servers.

But, I still can't see anyone from PSN, like account name in leaderboards, or in clubs..

So I guess it's PSN related.

Mr Git

On the topic of viewpoint, I always find the cockpit or hood views to be particularly exhilarating but I definitely perform better using a third person camera. I've found this generally for any racing games and I wonder if it has something to do with not being able to drive. Friends of mine who do drive (and are driving enthusiasts) are much more skilled in the first person viewpoints.

FireSol

This is why I love DC, I can always check leaderboards and see how good am I, numbers dont care about my ego, they just saying me "not happy? go back to the track"

Siegmeyer

Man, the Renault Twin Run eats hairpins for breakfast. I was just doing the Renault Invitational in the Redline Tour on Los Pelambres (reverse) and had one of my moments of the game so far.

It has a series of 3 hairpins of alternating direction in very quick succesion. After a scrappy first lap, I'm in 7th with the cars ahead of me closely bunched together. I approach the first left hairpin and as with the majority of racers I've played, the AI always breaks fractionally early into corners so I move out wide to the right to avoid any collision. I brake as late as I dare but maintain enough speed to pass 6th and 5th cleanly on the outside, squeezing through the tightest of gaps between 5th and 4th as I swung back out to the left to take the outside line on the right hairpin, laughing in the face of 4th and 3rd as I blitz past them cleanly on the outside too.

It would have been a nice manouver on a straight. The fact I did it whilst negotiating alternating hairpins at high speed was maybe the most satisfying moment I'd had with yet with this game. That course is just horrible in a hyper car, but it fucking shines in the Twin Run (and I'd imagine the Mono too). The thing brakes, turns and accelerates so quickly that hairpins just feel like regular turns.

Merun

I brake as late as I dare but maintain enough speed to pass 6th and 5th cleanly on the outside, squeezing through the tightest of gaps between 5th and 4th as I swung back out to the left to take the outside line on the right hairpin, laughing in the face of 4th and 3rd as I blitz past them cleanly on the outside too.

Funny, it's all the opposite from me. I went with the Alpine and took the interior, eating a bit of corner and slight poke from time to to time. However the AI Twin'run did give me a run for my money. Impossible to overtake for 2 or 3 laps.

On another note, it seems like there is some improvement server side. When I finish a challenge, I used to have an infinite spinner for the leaderboard, but now it displays the leaderboard ( I'm not talking about the small leaderboard on the right side of continue/restart screen )

SerTapTap

Okay finally got back into this after platinuming Binding of Isaac. Anyone with club space for a lvl 9 scub? Preferably someone from PSNGaf.

The AI in this doesn't seem too bad--the AI does the "konga line" thing for sure, but I noticed the AI swerving frustratedly back and forth as I kept cutting them off right in front of them, could almost hear them swear.

I'm liking the controls other than I can't drift or take super sharp corners yet. I'm learning faster than I expected. Face Offs and the "fame" system make races a lot of fun, since even if I don't get first I don't feel SOL. Kinda odd this game manages that where Mario Kart feels first-or-nothing.

le-seb

Dear Evolution Studios sound engineers and designers,

Thank you so much for the updated sound effects.

It's really cool to have thunder rumbling sounds, but I'm afraid something has to be done now to model the sound of thunder striking nearby.

While you're at it, we should probably hear some humming/sizzle caused by the Corona effect when driving underneath high voltage lines, especially when it's raining.

Also, I'm shocked I couldn't hear a seagull in the seashore tracks.
And no marmots whistling in the Canadian mountains?
Something seems wrong, please somebody call WWF!

You're probably close to taking some well earned vacation, so I wish you and all the team a merry Christmas.

Love,
Seb

viveks86

On another note, it seems like there is some improvement server side. When I finish a challenge, I used to have an infinite spinner for the leaderboard, but now it displays the leaderboard ( I'm not talking about the small leaderboard on the right side of continue/restart screen )

That was actually fixed client side with 1.09

viveks86

1.09 didn't fix it for me. I was only getting it less than before. (leaderboard good but sometimes challenges wouldn't load)

I think we are talking about different issues. There is one leaderboard screen after a challenge is completed that never loaded for anyone before 1.09. That was fixed. Challenges are still wonky though.

Ranger X

I think we are talking about different issues. There is one leaderboard screen after a challenge is completed that never loaded for anyone before 1.09. That was fixed. Challenges are still wonky though.

I guess its just it wasn't clear wich "never ending loading icons" the patch was supposed to fix. I would have hope it was ALL instances of that happening. Notifications one also not fixed :(

New awesome moment of the day: I come home, fire up the PS4, and I realize my club has gone up a level while I was gone. First time that has happened and it was sooooo cool. So thanks club Gridlink DC.

And Ham, it takes patience and tons of practice to learn how to drift properly. Merun has a great tutorial that is linked in the last page or so-- it helped me 3 star the Amateur Tour drfit events (I still suck at it though).

I guess its just it wasn't clear wich "never ending loading icons" the patch was supposed to fix.

There are so damn many of them. :shrug

desu

I am fairly confident that I will never 3 star a drift event.

Just keep repeating them over and over and over again. I kind of left our all drift events because I suck so much at drifting. However with playing a lot more I've been able to 3 star all until semi-pro or something and it's been a lot of fun.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I am fairly confident that I will never 3 star a drift event.
I'm getting the hang of it. Drifting is pretty unsatisfying in this game I find, though. And because of how strict the game is penalty-wise, it's kind of like going to the park and your parents only letting you play in the sandbox.

system11

That Venom Hot Lap 2 sucks. I've given myself a headache from turning the brightness up high enough to see some of the road. I got my 3*, no feeling of accomplishment, just muted relief at the end of the abuse.

I see that Lunar FC has not attempted the challenge set down by Gridlink DC. Not my best time, but Para11ax, you should be able to beat it. Servbot not so much.
Burn!

Top Bottom