• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Both added and challenge forwarded.

We could do with some more times posted, get that kitty up. :)

Nice one, I'll get on it when I can despite detesting the Kyle! Think we'll be relying on Vaga for this one :)

Could you also add Gridlink DC to the GAF club list please, it's Postcyberpunk's club as he's currently serving a ban.

Rushy, i'd like to share this with you, I hope you read this:

I think that the game launching you directly to Tamil Nadu as a tease is a good idea, but I cant help but worry a bit every time people gets a wrong impression from the game from it.

Because a sunny and dry India is (and I think a lot of people agrees on this) the least impressive location/graphical showcase. Add to that the slow compact cars.

I may be wrong of course, but I think that this, along with buying the game with too much hype, can let down a lot of people who expected... more? Dunno.

But the invitational event is a completely different experience from, lets say, the intensity of a point to point track with a fast car.

I really think, from a consumer perspective, that the game should tease you with some more of its virtues, not every of them of course, but some more would be good to make the people who relies too much on first impressions, give the game more chances to appreciate and love it.

I'd like to see what's your opinion (and community opinion also) of this. Thank you.
It is just a quick race to get you somewhat accustomed to the controls and give you something to do whilst the rest of the game installs.

I would have picked another circuit perhaps, but on the other things you mention I think it is fine.

You don't need intense at that point, you need ease of use.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Rushy, i'd like to share this with you, I hope you read this:

I think that the game launching you directly to Tamil Nadu as a tease is a good idea, but I cant help but worry a bit every time people gets a wrong impression from the game from it.

Because a sunny and dry India is (and I think a lot of people agrees on this) the least impressive location/graphical showcase. Add to that the slow compact cars.

I may be wrong of course, but I think that this, along with buying the game with too much hype, can let down a lot of people who expected... more? Dunno.

But the invitational event is a completely different experience from, lets say, the intensity of a point to point track with a fast car.

I really think, from a consumer perspective, that the game should tease you with some more of its virtues, not every of them of course, but some more would be good to make the people who relies too much on first impressions, give the game more chances to appreciate and love it.

I'd like to see what's your opinion (and community opinion also) of this. Thank you.

I agree so much. As a non-racing game person, I'll be honest that I found those first fifteen minutes to be pretty uninspiring. I'm only about three or four hours in but I can already see that there are more impressive "easy" tracks.

A bit of an optional nooby tutorial wouldn't go amiss either for people like me who don't know he difference between drafting and drifting or even how to drift.

kriskrosbbk

It took me a while.

The key, at least for me, was cutting the 3rd from last corner, but slowing down enough for the 2nd from last corner so I didn't hit the dirt on the exit, and then just trying to carry as much speed as possible through the final corner, also, sliding, at all, is very, very bad for the DeZir, it scrubs so much speed off.

I must have tried it 20 times, each time getting 74mph (target is 75mph), I finally managed to get 76mph, but I am not convinced I could do it again............

This is definitely my approach as well .At least I know I am on the right direction .
Thanks bud.

Ok GAF racers time to vote with your gas pedal. Sent two challenges on a Japan track, daytime, dry, no markers. This pits the McLaren F1 LM up against the P1. For shits and grins I'm curious which car is better balanced. So far the F1 got me a second faster because all the P1 goodies are a handful for me. Anybody else wants in, LordXarsNexus is my PSN.

This came out as a surprise for me as I always pick the F1, but after 5 or 6 laps in each the P1 is ahead with a 1:11.3 with the F1 at 1:12.0 - the P1 feels like more work as you've got to juggle the KERS and DRS so in a race situation could be more tricky.

nib95

Banned
BTW, I am really glad you guys have artists who are obsessed with trees/vegetation as much as I am. Their incredible work will not go unnoticed! #isthisreallife

iilqwk.jpg

If you focus on the leaves instead of the actual tree stump, this absolutely looks photo realistic, and could easily pass as such.

Case in point.

DC_Trees_Photo_S.jpg~original

Side note, randomly started re-doing a few of the original Tour events. Can't believe how bad some of my times were lol.

thectzn

Neo Member
Ok GAF racers time to vote with your gas pedal. Sent two challenges on a Japan track, daytime, dry, no markers. This pits the McLaren F1 LM up against the P1. For shits and grins I'm curious which car is better balanced. So far the F1 got me a second faster because all the P1 goodies are a handful for me. Anybody else wants in, LordXarsNexus is my PSN.

Sounds like fun... count me in. I'll add you when I get home tonight. I need more GAF friends -- the club I'm in (GAF West One) is pretty inactive and the members hardly ever play.

It would be fun to link up with some active players who enjoy the game. PSN: thectzn

nib95

Banned
This came out as a surprise for me as I always pick the F1, but after 5 or 6 laps in each the P1 is ahead with a 1:11.3 with the F1 at 1:12.0 - the P1 feels like more work as you've got to juggle the KERS and DRS so in a race situation could be more tricky.

I personally find the Zonda R faster than both, but I've come to the realisation that the preference very much depends on your personal race style. I'd imagine some people get a nice advantage from the drift savvy nature of certain vehicles like the F1 and Venom GT (which can get around hairpins quite swiftly as a result), whilst others likely prefer a stricter, tighter and cleaner hold. In that sense the F1 and P1 are quite different. A lot of the top global times on certain tracks have the Venom GT in the lead, but I personally find the car a bit on the temperamental side.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
If you focus on the leaves instead of the actual tree stump, this absolutely looks photo realistic, and could easily pass as such.

Case in point.

DC_Trees_Photo_S.jpg~original

Side note, randomly started re-doing a few of the original Tour events. Can't believe how bad some of my times were lol.
Holt shit, that looks REAL. Good job guys.

Auctopus

I wish there was a way to reset the tour, and keeping your fame score, either by prestiging or some other way.

I remember in the first month, in the first OT, Rushy said this was being looked in to. I imagine it's quite low on their to-do list though.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Just to say if anyone wants to join Brit GAF let me know.

Also feel free to add me - sploatee. 😄 need more DC chums, all my friends list is hooked on Destiny still.

thectzn

Neo Member

Also feel free to add me - sploatee. 😄 need more DC chums, all my friends list is hooked on Destiny still.

I'll add you when I get home this evening. The more DC mates the better!

nib95

Banned

Also feel free to add me - sploatee. �� need more DC chums, all my friends list is hooked on Destiny still.

Be warned, many GAFers from here being on your friends list will make you envious of their times and scores. Be ready to put in countless more hours in to the game as a result lol.

SerTapTap

BTW, I am really glad you guys have artists who are obsessed with trees/vegetation as much as I am. Their incredible work will not go unnoticed! #isthisreallife

I RT'd a tweet with those pics and a friend asked me if those were renders instead of a game

lordxar

I personally find the Zonda R faster than both, but I've come to the realisation that the preference very much depends on your personal race style. I'd imagine some people get a nice advantage from the drift savvy nature of certain vehicles like the F1 and Venom GT (which can get around hairpins quite swiftly as a result), whilst others likely prefer a stricter, tighter and cleaner hold. In that sense the F1 and P1 are quite different. A lot of the top global times on certain tracks have the Venom GT in the lead, but I personally find the car a bit on the temperamental side.

Get that Zonda talk outta here lol. This is McLaren time! I was talking about which one of those was more user friendly as far as learning hyper cars and someone mentioned the F1 being better overall not just for learning. So I shot those challenges out there for grins.

If were talking best hyper...duh Venom hands down. All hail the beast!

Auctopus

GTA Spano has to be one of the only cars I really dislike: it's ugly, has a stupid name and handles like a spoilt child at Christmas.

I think it depends on the track too - the P1 feels much more planted and controlled as you say so is better on the tight tracks. I just did 5 laps in the Zonda to compare and went fractionally faster than the P1 but felt like a battle to stop the rear end coming around on corner exit.

Yeah, I need to get some DC GAFers times on my list. At the moment the only friends playing are from work and they aren’t very, erm…….competitve.

PSN is the same as my GAF name

nib95

Banned
Me too using the 10% discount code :)

But my DS4 is away for repairs. That damn rubber on the thumbsticks :(
I mentioned it earlier, but just buy original replacement sticks off ebay. Really cheap and quick to swap out. Much better than waiting ages for a repair.

SerTapTap

I mentioned it earlier, but just buy original replacement sticks off ebay. Really cheap and quick to swap out. Much better than waiting ages for a repair.

Wait you can buy original PS4 thumbsticks? Are they legit, same quality as originals? I got a set of Xbone sticks (unsure if they're legit either but they look the same).

How hard are they to swap BTW? I have two controllers with slightly slick sticks

nib95

Banned
Wait you can buy original PS4 thumbsticks? Are they legit, same quality as originals? I got a set of Xbone sticks (unsure if they're legit either but they look the same).

How hard are they to swap BTW? I have two controllers with slightly slick sticks

They seem legit to me (were described as much in the listing). I compared them with the originals and they were pretty much exact, only difference was that the rubber on the actual thumb area was slightly tougher, more coarse and less soft, but that may be because the newer replacements are longer lasting. Just make sure the thumb part is rubber and not plastic, and I'm sure you'll be good.

The process of replacing them is quite easy. Now that I've done it a few times I can do it in around 2 minutes. Only the first time is a bit tricky, but follow any of the YouTube tutorials and I'm sure you'll be fine. All you need is a pair of tweezers and a technical screwdriver. I bought a set off Amazon that came with like 20 different screw heads and it only cost a few quid lol.

IKizzLE

Yay we have 5 drivers in the top 30!

Booo I'm the slowest! :-(

Did you not have fun? Are you not better on that track than you were before?
I've never liked hotlapping around a track by myself over and over. Find it pretty boring. And I usually have ran my fastest lap times during actual races in various other games and it sucks that EVO don't record online lap times but I take it the reason is because slipstream is so strong in this game. And yea, I learned the track better, but that's because it was my first time ever running it lol.

SerTapTap

They seem legit to me (were described as much in the listing). I compared them with the originals and they were pretty much exact, only difference was that the rubber on the actual thumb area was slightly tougher, more course and less soft, but that may be because the newer replacements are longer lasting. Just make sure the thumb part is rubber and not plastic, and I'm sure you'll be good.

The process of replacing them is quite easy. Now that I've done it a few times I can do it in around 2 minutes. Only the first time is a bit tricky, but follow any of the YouTube tutorials and I'm sure you'll be fine. All you need is a pair of tweezers and a technical screwdriver. I bought a set off Amazon that came with like 20 different screw heads and it only cost a few quid lol.

Already got a screwdriver like that, do these look right? I was looking at gamecube replacement sticks and they're definitely not legit (too smooth), these look pretty darn close though.

Me too using the 10% discount code :)

But my DS4 is away for repairs. That damn rubber on the thumbsticks :(

I bought a new DS4 last week and the first thing I did to it was replace the stock sticks with X1 sticks:

16160729078_fa2b4144d5_b.jpg

Not only are they better quality than the stock DS4 sticks, but they're also taller, which feel better to me.

bombshell

Free within warranty repair is better for me for now, but thanks for the suggestion :D

I bought a new DS4 last week and the first thing I did to it was replace the stock sticks with X1 sticks:

Not only are they better quality than the stock DS4 sticks, but they're also taller, which feel better to me.

Thanks for that suggestion too :D

SerTapTap

Will probably just buy that season pass today

They look about right. These were the ones I bought. Seller claims they are original replacements. They at least look and feel like they are.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380849466966

Texture seems a bit weird, but maybe it's a poor example or I just need to see the DS4 while I'm comparing. Might wait to see how well I like the xbone sticks since they're already on their way.

Ted

Played a bit more last night, mostly with the Caterham round some of the street and race circuits and doing some challenges.

Couple of questions for the floor:

1) Can a challenge setter amend a challenge mid way through?

Yesterday I did a challenge send from someone of my friends list that was a three lap race with 10 AI cars. I completed the race in a total time a few seconds faster than the challenger and was at the top of the challenge leader-board. Checking again today I noticed that the leader of the challenge was no longer me and the top time was now ~one third of the time I'd set.

I mean, I'm no James Hunt by far but I never expected to be beaten by such a massive margin, over two minutes over the course of three laps of somewhere not in the Eifel mountains seemed like a lot. Wondering how the hell the other person was so damn fast I clicked into the challenge and noticed it was now set to 1 lap against 4 AI cars.

Is this a bug?

2) Do we know if times set before wall collision physics were patched are going to be removed from the global leader-boards?

I was chasing a ghost of someone in the Munnar Rally event of the tour (one of the very first events) and noticed they were wall riding a couple of corners near the start to gain a good few seconds before we'd gone even a couple of miles.

Check out the two VW Golf ghosts ahead of me in the video below, the black one is my ghost and the other (with the white highlights) is the driver in question. Watch how they take first the right hander without even thinking about braking and then you can just about see them do the same in the next left hander.

http://youtu.be/vmRcnvmjsaw

Clearly the collision physics must be fundamentally different now to when that run was set so why are the times still on the same leader-board?

Is this ghost a rare exception that was missed or are all the boards for courses with tight walled bends filled with this crap?

sneaky77

Played a bit more last night, mostly with the Caterham round some of the street and race circuits and doing some challenges.

I mentioned that a few weeks ago, and apparently it is possible.. so that's just dumb in my opinion and a very bad oversight by Evolution

Is this a easy job ? I miss my XB1 sticks when using DS4

Yeah, very easy. You unscrew the four screws in the back of the controller, unscrew the one on the main chip, disconnect the ribbon from the touch-pad and then you have access to the sticks.

The only thing that may be tricky is making sure you don't displace the triggers. As putting the spring and triggers back on can be really fiddly.

Not really enjoying the way the drifting is handled in this game. It's like there is some kind of TCS going on, can't really have a smooth continous transition from corner to corner. Initiating the drifting is okay though

carl32

Banned
Yeah, very easy. You unscrew the four screws in the back of the controller, unscrew the one on the main chip, disconnect the ribbon from the touch-pad and then you have access to the sticks.

The only thing that may be tricky is making sure you don't displace the triggers. As putting the spring and triggers back on can be really fiddly.

Ok thanks, i'm going to av a bash at it.

slop101

Banned
Just wanted to post, gushing about how great this game it.

Seriously, it's improved ten-fold since launch, making it an almost entirely different, much better game, and is up there with some of the best racers. Any gaming site worth it's salt, needs to re-review the game as it is now. Also, this improved game can now be had for half the price of what it was at launch.

And the fact that it's probably one of the most impressive looking games I've ever seen doesn't hurt much either. I just wish it was a little more forgiving....

Just wanted to post, gushing about how great this game it.

Seriously, it's improved ten-fold since launch, making it an almost entirely different, much better game, and is up there with some of the best racers. Any gaming site worth it's salt, needs to re-review the game as it is now. Also, this improved game can now be had for half the price of what it was at launch.

And the fact that it's probably one of the most impressive looking games I've ever seen doesn't hurt much either. I just wish it was a little more forgiving....

I don't know that a re-review of this would change many opinions, most of the review complaints back then would still be present.

I have now given everything I have on the Kyle challenge. It was enough to get NVR Alone to 4th place in club standings and myself on the 5th. I dread what happens when the rest of EU guys and USA guys turn on their consoles. :)

The club and challenge mechanics offer so much more fun to the racing!

Rushy

Looking for more feedback :)

If you've played the new Multiplayer Time Trial we'd like to what you do and don't like about it, and what you would change.

B8Cn5zJIgAA-rSm.jpg

Please keep the feedback coming in all areas, we're doing our best to absorb as much of it as possible.

Yesterday I did a challenge send from someone of my friends list that was a three lap race with 10 AI cars. I completed the race in a total time a few seconds faster than the challenger and was at the top of the challenge leader-board. Checking again today I noticed that the leader of the challenge was no longer me and the top time was now ~one third of the time I'd set.

I mean, I'm no James Hunt by far but I never expected to be beaten by such a massive margin, over two minutes over the course of three laps of somewhere not in the Eifel mountains seemed like a lot. Wondering how the hell the other person was so damn fast I clicked into the challenge and noticed it was now set to 1 lap against 4 AI cars.

Is this a bug?

2) Do we know if times set before wall collision physics were patched are going to be removed from the global leader-boards?

I was chasing a ghost of someone in the Munnar Rally event of the tour (one of the very first events) and noticed they were wall riding a couple of corners near the start to gain a good few seconds before we'd gone even a couple of miles.

Check out the two VW Golf ghosts ahead of me in the video below, the black one is my ghost and the other (with the white highlights) is the driver in question. Watch how they take first the right hander without even thinking about braking and then you can just about see them do the same in the next left hander.

http://youtu.be/vmRcnvmjsaw

Clearly the collision physics must be fundamentally different now to when that run was set so why are the times still on the same leader-board?

Is this ghost a rare exception that was missed or are all the boards for courses with tight walled bends filled with this crap?

I've never seen a challenge modified before so it's news to me that it's possible, and it certainly shouldn't be.

And that wall riding is something I saw prior to the 'sticky barrier' patch and it really put me off time trials at the time. My clubmate was complaining about people wall riding online on the first of the Japanese tracks too so it's really disappointing if that's the case. I didn't like the sticky barriers online as it was too easy for the guy in front to block, but I like wall riding in time trials even less.

If you've played the new Multiplayer Time Trial we'd like to what you do and don't like about it, and what you would change.

B8Cn5zJIgAA-rSm.jpg

Please keep the feedback coming in all areas, we're doing our best to absorb as much of it as possible.
Are there P2P tracks in that mode? Because those are my favorite and I didn't see any when I was playing.

B8Cn5zJIgAA-rSm.jpg

If we've started a lap before the timer runs out we should be able to finish it.

That's the only real complaint I have.

Hojaho

Should make a list of all the GAF clubs in one place so we can send challenges and the like. CheeseGAF checking in (full, sorry).

List of clubs from the past couple of pages

CheeseGAF
GAFCLUB
BritGAF
Rattleheads
NVR Alone
GAF UK CS
Kuso Club
GAF EU
Kings of Kudos
Lunar FC
SKIVECLUB
Dr1ve C1u8
Gridlink DC

Can edit in more if people post, I don't have the time to go through the whole thread. :-(

*edit/update*

Sent a challenge out to all GAF related clubs I know of from my friends list/this thread. Not a difficult track but interesting enough to keep the hardcore happy (I hope). Idea was to appeal to all skills and provide a base to get gaffers racing. I didn't add all the clubs from my friends list to this one as I'm unsure who's active or not, we'll see I guess. Anyway, enough waffle;

GAF Time Trial/Hotlap
The Kyle - Lotus Exige S - 5 days

Hope to see you there.

Add Eurobeat please !

The only thing I don't like is that when I get into one of these events, I'm usually with only 1 or 2 other people. Its rare that I'm with any more than that. I don't know if there's any kind of fix for something like that, though.

Other than that, I love the TT events. Even if i suck at them.

danowat

Banned
Not really enjoying the way the drifting is handled in this game. It's like there is some kind of TCS going on, can't really have a smooth continous transition from corner to corner. Initiating the drifting is okay though

You're not alone, but I wouldn't expect too much response, whenever I've posted about anything similar it just gets lost in the hyperbolic quagmire of gushing posts about the way the game looks!!! :)

Top Bottom