• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

I'm betting that the top 2 are Edinburgh, and the bottom 2 from a Chilean city (Santiago?).

I think we'll get a city track/reverse per existing location to begin with
You know what I never actually considered that they might be multiple screenshots from the same tracks :p

On that basis I think the bottom two are India. In my initial guess I figured one was India and the bottom one was harder but I thought Chile or Japan.

I picked Japan because of the road markings and colour of tarmac, but I thought the surroundings were a bit like Chile.

All the while I did think to myself... the tree though. It is the same tree in both the bottom two and that's a tree from the India tracks. Couldn't recall if it's re-used on Chilean and Japanese ones too.

You know what I never actually considered that they might be multiple screenshots from the same tracks :p

On that basis I think the bottom two are India. In my initial guess I figured one was India and the bottom one was harder but I thought Chile or Japan.

I picked Japan because of the road markings and colour of tarmac, but I thought the surroundings were a bit like Chile.

All the while I did think to myself... the tree though. It is the same tree in both the bottom two and that's a tree from the India tracks. Couldn't recall if it's re-used on Chilean and Japanese ones too.

But would a small Indian small town (judging by the size of buildings) have a catholic church? If these are set in the already existing countries, then my bet for the 3rd image is Chile. The 4th one looks a bit more ambiguous. My first thought was a Japanese town, but as someone pointed out, the trees look the same as on the previous image, so it could be Chile as well.

jp_footy

Neo Member
The G27 isn't an officially supported wheel on the PS4, so I don't believe it'll behave entirely correctly hence your difficulties.

Having said that DRIVECLUB on a wheel is generally more difficult, although to offset that you can be more precise, as you have to do more of the work yourself (especially on counter steer).

Precision is everything for me when driving and this is something I don't get from the DS4.

BeeDog

Rushy! Please fix the entry animations for that new Renault R.S. 01. Tried the "A Bridge Too Far" event with it just now, and was bummed to see clipping, bad animations and transitions when entering the car.

Hey Rushy, any chance of a multiplayer option in the future that awards points based on finishing places and keeps track of them over a set number of races? It's my most wanted feature now that private lobbies are here! Or perhaps an option to set up a bunch of races ahead of time instead of having to return to the private lobby after each one?

Thanks for the retweets by the way!

Jamesways

Merry Christmas Rushy and dev team! Thanks again for the fantastic support and effort this year making this great game even better. Hope you and your families have a wonderful holiday!

drotahorror

Tryin out my g29 on Driveclub now. For some reason I can't drive hyper cars at all. If I'm going at an even moderate speed and turn the car will start sliding and there's no way to gain control over it.

Anyone have any tips? I've tried 720 rotation, 900, 540, different FFB strengths too.

Basically, if I start drifting or spinning out it's done. I can't correct it no matter what.

drotahorror

Anyone have any tips for playing with a wheel?

Basically, if I'm about to spin out and try to correct it, I can't. Almost makes me think somethin is wrong with the wheel.

Anyone have any tips for playing with a wheel?

Basically, if I'm about to spin out and try to correct it, I can't. Almost makes me think somethin is wrong with the wheel.

I've heard that generally with wheels in this game.

It's a shame, as the game needs to support wheels better if it hopes to make the most out of VR.

I'm not sure if it's changed and there's a setting you're missing or something, but if not my advice would just be not to use a wheel, as they're not properly supported by this game. It is an arcade racer after all. While the cars are real, and bound to some realistic properties, the handling is worlds from real life, so I guess it doesn't transition that well to a realistic controller.

Denur

Tryin out my g29 on Driveclub now. For some reason I can't drive hyper cars at all. If I'm going at an even moderate speed and turn the car will start sliding and there's no way to gain control over it.

Anyone have any tips? I've tried 720 rotation, 900, 540, different FFB strengths too.

Basically, if I start drifting or spinning out it's done. I can't correct it no matter what.
Lifting off the gas-pedal will cause this massive over-steer with some cars. Be sure to apply a bit of the brake pedal too. If you brake with your right foot, stop doing that. You'll have to learn to use left for braking and right for throttle. With some of the cars this can become a delicate dance. Once you learn to master the Ariel Atom, you'll master them all. ;)

I've heard that generally with wheels in this game.

It's a shame, as the game needs to support wheels better if it hopes to make the most out of VR.

I'm not sure if it's changed and there's a setting you're missing or something, but if not my advice would just be not to use a wheel, as they're not properly supported by this game. It is an arcade racer after all. While the cars are real, and bound to some realistic properties, the handling is worlds from real life, so I guess it doesn't transition that well to a realistic controller.
As a fairly competitive wheel user, I find everything in this post to be untrue.

Ogawa-san

Two things I absolutely cannot do with a wheel in DC: drift worth a damn and oversteer into corners or whatever this is called. I fix the first by just doing all drift events with the DS4, but the second means I'm always lagging behind.

How do you do it reliably?

Denur

Two things I absolutely cannot do with a wheel in DC: drift worth a damn and oversteer into corners or whatever this is called. I fix the first by just doing all drift events with the DS4, but the second means I'm always lagging behind.

How do you do it reliably?
1) Drifting with a wheel is hard, no doubt about it. But it is possible to get three stars in all events. You'll have to learn to find the right entry speed to each corner with each individual car; Induce the drift by tapping or pressing the handbrake for the right amount of time; Only start applying the throttle again once you are about to lose the wheel spin; And when needed, tap the brake a bit. Not easy at all, but doable with enough practice.

2) As you can see in Kie's video, he clips the grass in some locations. Both to reduce speed, but also to get that bit of over-steer. Throttle lift-off will also give you over-steer.

Getting your inside wheels on the dirt helps "pull" you round a corner, also allowing you to carry a bit more corner speed compared to if you keep all the wheels on the track surface.

As a fairly competitive wheel user, I find everything in this post to be untrue.

On a pad, on this game, you can hold left or right on the analogue stick to the maximum, and it will always correct you from oversteer / drift. On any typical racing game that will just cause oversteer and you'll spin out. On a pad it's fine, super easy to correct everything, on a wheel, it doesn't work that way at all, and you have to be super careful with the oversteer all the time, especially as it's very difficult to correct once it begins.

What this means is that on pad you can go through relatively tight turns at full speed, simply holding the steering all the way in one direction, and not have to worry about oversteer, or having any trouble correcting problems.

This is not an uncommon complaint either.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Driveclub/comments/2ygcx8/the_biggest_flaw_in_the_game_wheel_physics_vs/

Maybe you've learnt to adapt to it, but it's not as intuitive as it is on a pad. Almost feels like a different game.

I can always get my times into the top 50 on the leaderboards on a pad, even held world records on more than one occasion, but on a wheel I struggle to get them into the top 1000. On most racing games I have found my performance across wheel and pad is basically the same, but not on DC.

I would also be interested by what you mean by "fairly competitive" as while I only know a small number of world-class players on this game, all of them use a gamepad.

Denur

...What this means is that on pad you can go through relatively tight turns at full speed, simply holding the steering all the way in one direction, and not have to worry about oversteer, or having any trouble correcting problems.
I wouldn't mind if the pad users got a bit less of a helping hand.

Maybe you've learnt to adapt to it, but it's not as intuitive as it is on a pad. Almost feels like a different game.
Rushy has explained recently that with the wheel you don't get any help at all. So with the wheel it simply takes a lot of practice and skill.

I can always get my times into the top 50 on the leaderboards on a pad, even held world records on more than one occasion, but on a wheel I struggle to get them into the top 1000. On most racing games I have found my performance across wheel and pad is basically the same, but not on DC.

I would also be interested by what you mean by "fairly competitive" as while I only know a small number of world-class players on this game, all of them use a gamepad.
With the wheel I can usually get into the top 100 without much effort, when I do Evolution time trial challenges. Usually I end up in the top 30 and sometimes the top 10.

]blacky[;190405587 said:
Bought it together with the season pass today.

No tutorial? WTF? The game explains nothing!
There is not much to explain.
If the game has something to tell you, you'll get a big notification about it.
Don't worry.
Just don't forget to do the campaign at your own pace but to do it anyway since it'll teach you about the mecanics gradually

Dunkelgrau

There is not much to explain.
If the game has something to tell you, you'll get a big notification about it.
Don't worry.
Just don't forget to do the campaign at your own pace but to do it anyway since it'll teach you about the mecanics gradually
Nah, the entire internet has a big problem on how to drift in this game. ;)

There is a campaign? You mean the tour-mode?

Dunkelgrau

I figured out that it is impossible for me to drift (O-Button). For the moment I get better results when I just play with R1 and R2.

]blacky[;190416858 said:
I figured out that it is impossible for me to drift (O-Button). For the moment I get better results when I just play with R1 and R2.

What exactly is the problem? You can use R2 to drift, but with a lot of cars it's much easier to initiate a drift with O (handbrake). Just shortly tap it (don't hold it) to help you initiate the drift, but you also need to swerve your car a bit just before you hit the brake. As he drift starts, control the drift by either adding gas if you still got room, or braking lightly if you're in danger of leaving the road. If you're turning sideways too much, counter steer.

Here are two random examples of me doing drift events:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42ptIb4_RcI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTsIFl7gI98

Not perfect, but more than enough to beat the events and done exclusively with the handbrake. In fact, i do all my drifting with O and have never had serious problems beating a drift tour event.

AetherZX

The bike add-on is alreaday his own thing ..why would it be in a season pass ?
Would make no sense . you can try the bike if you wish to by setting the KTM manufacturer at lv 10 if you want you try.

Uhh, yeah it makes plenty of sense as it's, you know, a paid part of the friggin' game.

A good season pass setup would include it.

Uhh, yeah it makes plenty of sense as it's, you know, a paid part of the friggin' game.

A good season pass setup would include it.

There is a reason why driveclub bike has his own platinium.
Maybe because it's to be considered on his own and not part of the regular driveclub package ?
Just saying.
Also driveclub bikes has his dlc , just like driveclub had his dlc.

I understand why you'd want everything in one package .. but would it be fair since we've supported the game already , and that content 's going to be included in a season pass later ? No way.

Baleoce

I purchased the full game for PS+ with the season pass bundle for £9.99 in the sale. Everything is updated, and it assured me no other action was required on my behalf, yet when I log on, all of the races are still saying "To activate this content you must purchase it from PlayStation Store".

Fox Mulder

]blacky[;190416858 said:

You just have to get used to the handling. Drifting is pretty easy with the handbrake. I've never really had issue beating the challenges.

drotahorror

Driveclub quickly making me regret investing into a wheel. This whole "If your car starts spinning out or drifting" that you can't correct it is annoying me. That's my playstyle as bad as it is, I like it because it's fun. Since you have to turn the wheel in the complete opposite direction fully, you can't correct it fast enough. Even if you do correct it you fight the FFB and you'll have to correct the other way you end up sliding left and right until you fully are able to correct it.

I did read some of the tips above but the only way I was able to combat it is by not doing it. Which is likely the better way to play but some cars just naturally have some spin on the tires it seems which leads to instant wrecks on the wheel for me.

It's fun with the wheel but most of the hypers, the mercedes', just any car that can slide out of control easily even with a controller, are literally impossible for me to drive now. It really destroys a big selection of some of my favorite cars.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Was hoping for a Christmas special on DC Bikes but I guess I better grinding out those last 100 Stars first before buying an expansion pack. ;-)

Denur

I purchased the full game for PS+ with the season pass bundle for £9.99 in the sale. Everything is updated, and it assured me no other action was required on my behalf, yet when I log on, all of the races are still saying "To activate this content you must purchase it from PlayStation Store".
The price will be zero. It's really just a matter of activating the new content.

Makikou

Yeah for all DLC tour packs/car packs you just need to simply redeem the, now, free packs from the store. Season Pass removes the price you see.

Rushy has explained recently that with the wheel you don't get any help at all. So with the wheel it simply takes a lot of practice and skill.

I get that, but that's what I mean, it's harder. It even goes as far as feeling like it almost works against you on this game.

As others have stated, it's a pain in the ass to correct the car with a wheel, but that's at juxtaposition with other games (be they arcade or sim) where it's actually easier to correct the car with a wheel because of the force feedback and fine control.

It's not like the way it works in DC feels like it makes sense. Cars on PCars are awfully difficult to control on a pad sometimes, but a pleasure on a wheel, then the same car will be a pain in the ass with a wheel on DC.

Might as well have made the game a sim, if it was intended to be so counter-intuitive. Sometimes I feel that the only reason this game isn't a sim is to evade the techical scrutiny that comes from having to adhere to reality. Because in many regards, the games handling model isn't substantially less complex, especially on a wheel.

Rushy, any idea why I've maxed out 13 bikes (all original ones plus one EBR) and the trophy didn't pop up ;(?

That's the last one for my Plat so I'm a little bit worried

As a work around max out the latest KTM bike and the trophy should pop up. It's a known issue and will be fixed in the next update.

Denur

It's not like the way it works in DC feels like it makes sense. Cars on PCars are awfully difficult to control on a pad sometimes, but a pleasure on a wheel, then the same car will be a pain in the ass with a wheel on DC.
I think you were right in an earlier post; I have learned to adapt to the way wheel support is implemented in DriveClub. Yes, I would like it to be as well implemented as in e.g. pCars or Gran Turismo, games I have hardly played since DriveClub came out. For a guy who loves sim racing, but doesn't care much for finding the right car setup or career mode, DriveClub's gameplay is near perfect. If only the handling were even more sim-like...

Top Bottom