• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Hi Rushy, there is a person I know from a spanish forum that is having trouble with the PSN plus upgrade version of Driveclub. He bought it when it was 39€. His PSN+ subscription has expired and now he can't access the game at all. He has his PS4 set as primary with the account and everything, but he can't start the game. Do you know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Dunkelgrau

What exactly is the problem? You can use R2 to drift, but with a lot of cars it's much easier to initiate a drift with O (handbrake). Just shortly tap it (don't hold it) to help you initiate the drift, but you also need to swerve your car a bit just before you hit the brake. As he drift starts, control the drift by either adding gas if you still got room, or braking lightly if you're in danger of leaving the road. If you're turning sideways too much, counter steer.
I think that I am a little bit better right now, but it remains difficult for me. I can't even remember when I had such a difficult experience with a game.
The very well known German magazine "Golem" has written, that it took them four hours to get used to the drift system of DRIVECLUB.

Another problem for me with this kind of racers (GT, Forza ...) is, that you can drive like shit and like Rambo (with lots of collisions) and still reach one of the first three places.

Maybe my experience with DRIVECLUB will be a better one in a few weeks ...

Makikou

]blacky[;190476500 said:
I think that I am a little bit better right now, but it remains difficult for me. I can't even remember when I had such a difficult experience with a game.
The very well known German magazine "Golem" has written, that it took them four hours to get used to the drift system of DRIVECLUB.

Another problem for me with this kind of racers (GT, Forza ...) is, that you can drive like shit and like Rambo (with lots of collisions) and still reach one of the first three places.

Maybe my experience with DRIVECLUB will be a better one in a few weeks ...

Yeah, you actually have to know what you're doing in Driveclub. It definetly is no easy mode unlike GT/Forza in terms of rambo-ing through AI.

If you know what a racing line is, it applies very strongly in driveclub. Exit speeds out of the corners make up a LOT of time as these are - in the end - street cars. Not GT-cars with tons of aerodynamic force (except R.S 01, AMG GT3 ofc).

Dunkelgrau

Yeah, you actually have to know what you're doing in Driveclub. It definetly is no easy mode unlike GT/Forza in terms of rambo-ing through AI.
You've got me wrong. I meant, that ambo-ing through AI works in DRIVECLUB just as well.

My ambition now is to get used to the drift-system to form an opinion about the game. But, OMG, I don't believe any more that DRIVECLUB and I will become friends.

]blacky[;190498364 said:
You've got me wrong. I meant, that ambo-ing through AI works in DRIVECLUB just as well.

My ambition now is to get used to the drift-system to form an opinion about the game. But, OMG, I don't believe any more that DRIVECLUB and I will become friends.

Don't drift in races, it's generally slower than proper cornering. Save the drifting for actual drift events.

What are the advantages to being in a club and does GAF have one?

You get access to a few club specific cars (the VW Golf and the BAC Mono, among others). Max club size iz 6 members, to encourage club vs. club duels on a grid of 12 cars, so there isn't one big GAF club. If you're looking for a club, someone here might have an open spot for you.

Rushy

A good season pass setup would include it.
The Season Pass was explicitly clear as to what it contained and how long it run for.

Hi Rushy, there is a person I know from a spanish forum that is having trouble with the PSN plus upgrade version of Driveclub. He bought it when it was 39€. His PSN+ subscription has expired and now he can't access the game at all. He has his PS4 set as primary with the account and everything, but he can't start the game. Do you know how to fix this?
Sounds like a store entitlement problem. Please contact the Spanish customer services and they will fix this for him.

Uhh, yeah it makes plenty of sense as it's, you know, a paid part of the friggin' game.

A good season pass setup would include it.
0LpxcQH.jpg

I don't like season passes, but c'mon. This one bucked the trend and offered a ton of content and spelled it out early.

]blacky[;190498364 said:

only in the early races & lower difficulties . After wards it's actually faster to drive cleanly in order to stay ahead

0LpxcQH.jpg

I don't like season passes, but c'mon. This one bucked the trend and offered a ton of content and spelled it out early.

I agree with you, but going by his previous comment, he meant that Bikes should be included in Season Pass 2, not the original one. That would open a whole new can of worms though, since lots of people have already bought Bikes and we don't even know how soon a new season pass will be ready. Sure, maybe they could offer those people discounts on SP2, but i'm certain quite a few would still be upset. It's best that it stays separate, as it is now.

Going by Rushy's comments in that podcast from a while ago, laying out the first SP and making it as transparent as it was took a lot of careful planing, to make sure that they can meet expectations set by the announcement. And that right there is what was so great about the season pass, none of that vague BS you get with the typical SP announcement by certain other developers. I'm sure Evolution don't want to rush out a SP2, if it means compromising on that transparency, or possibly not being able to hit the announced timetables. Not after all the goodwill they have rightfully earned in the past year.

OK, I noticed I had the PS Plus version of Driveclub, so I'm downloading it now. I also noticed that there is a sale on PSN for the full game and the season pass; if I enjoy the free version and decide to upgrade, will it upgrade to the full version or just a more complete version of Driveclub for PS Plus, and will I be able to play it if my Plus account runs out?

Finally, I'm not a huge player of racing games (I only have Rage Racer and one of the PS2 WRC games), as I've always avoided them due to assuming that I need or being told I need a wheel to play them. Will I need one for this or is it fine with a Dualshock?

Makikou

OK, I noticed I had the PS Plus version of Driveclub, so I'm downloading it now. I also noticed that there is a sale on PSN for the full game and the season pass; if I enjoy the free version and decide to upgrade, will it upgrade to the full version or just a more complete version of Driveclub for PS Plus, and will I be able to play it if my Plus account runs out?

Finally, I'm not a huge player of racing games (I only have Rage Racer and one of the PS2 WRC games), as I've always avoided them due to assuming that I need or being told I need a wheel to play them. Will I need one for this or is it fine with a Dualshock?

It's the full game. Always possible to play.

Dualshock 4 is fine.

Denur

For those who struggle with the wheel in DriveClub, I find that these settings for the T300 work for me.

Angle 540°
FFB 90%
Assist on
Vibration off

drotahorror

What exactly does wheel assist do?

I'll give that a shot though, I've played with nearly every variation except I've had assist off. If all I had to do was turn it on then...I'll be happy.

Sweet, thanks.
It's nearly downloaded now. I'm hoping I'll enjoy it, because I definitely like the look of it.

Just wanted to update to say I'm really liking the game; visually it's amazing and the most 'next-gen' title I've played, and I'm gonna get the full version.
However, my unfamiliarity with racing games is screwing me over. I'm more used to kart racers and really arcadey stuff like Outrun and Daytona USA.
How should I drift a sharp corner, and should I drop my gear when I do so?
I'm sort of trying to fly through corners sideways when I'm drifting and it's not working for me.

5taquitos

Just wanted to update to say I'm really liking the game; visually it's amazing and the most 'next-gen' title I've played, and I'm gonna get the full version.
However, my unfamiliarity with racing games is screwing me over. I'm more used to kart racers and really arcadey stuff like Outrun and Daytona USA.
How should I drift a sharp corner, and should I drop my gear when I do so?
I'm sort of trying to fly through corners sideways when I'm drifting and it's not working for me.

Don't drift, period.

Approach high, slow into a corner before turning, turn into the corner, then accelerate out.

Drifters

I agree with you, but going by his previous comment, he meant that Bikes should be included in Season Pass 2, not the original one. That would open a whole new can of worms though, since lots of people have already bought Bikes and we don't even know how soon a new season pass will be ready. Sure, maybe they could offer those people discounts on SP2, but i'm certain quite a few would still be upset. It's best that it stays separate, as it is now.

Going by Rushy's comments in that podcast from a while ago, laying out the first SP and making it as transparent as it was took a lot of careful planing, to make sure that they can meet expectations set by the announcement. And that right there is what was so great about the season pass, none of that vague BS you get with the typical SP announcement by certain other developers. I'm sure Evolution don't want to rush out a SP2, if it means compromising on that transparency, or possibly not being able to hit the announced timetables. Not after all the goodwill they have rightfully earned in the past year.

I'm on the bandwagon that Bikes is a separate game that uses the Driveclub engine and for people that want another game type such as bikes, then by all means, buy the add-on. I honestly do not expect the content in S2 nor should anyone really at this point. Evolution has given us so much content in S1, they can take their sweet time with S2 for all I care. I think people literally are getting upset about nothing since while yes we know "Driveclub as a service..." means Season Pass 2, Evolution studios has no need to tell me when.

Don't drift, period.

Approach high, slow into a corner before turning, turn into the corner, then accelerate out.

This.
The difference in speed is quite clear when racing against someone who has the grip in corners.

Alright, thanks.
I had a look on a replay to see what the AI drivers were doing, and I noticed they were just taking corners slowly. I tried out a car from the hyper class and found that easier to use than the slower sports cars and the Mini Cooper.

I've upgraded to the full version now. Hopefully I'll start improving at it as I keep playing.

Denur

Alright, thanks.
I had a look on a replay to see what the AI drivers were doing, and I noticed they were just taking corners slowly. I tried out a car from the hyper class and found that easier to use than the slower sports cars and the Mini Cooper.

I've upgraded to the full version now. Hopefully I'll start improving at it as I keep playing.
This video explains quite well how to take corners in a racing game. It's a bit long, but you'll get the basics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-wvTjxt6eo.

One thing I've noticed playing a lot of games from both Evolution Studios, and Studio Liverpool. Is that it's not uncommon for

a) the games to be 'too hard' in some peoples eyes
b) difficulty patches arive later as a means of allowing users to moderate difficulty
c) the games have some really challenging time trials.

Motorstorm, Wipeout HD, and Driveclub are some of the hardest racing games around. At the very least, vastly much more challenging than their contemporaries, like Burnout, Need for Speed and the Forza series of games.

For those that have experience with other games from Evolution or Studio Liverpool, how do you feel that Driveclub ranks in terms of difficulty. Is the Venom Wet Hotlap harder than Beating Zico on Wipeout HD? I don't think so, but it's close!

I actually really enjoy the difficulty of these games, but I can see why others struggle too. Heck I never managed to beat the original Motorstorm. I guess I didn't persevere long enough, and the AI were jerks.

Fox Mulder

In DC, if you want a top time, you're better off taking tighter, faster lines than seen in the video.

It's better to scrape a wall or cut a little (not enough to incur a penalty, but enough to be disqualified in a real race) than it is to brake.

Yeah, I had to two wheel cut a few corners in the venom challenge to shave the .100 seconds I needed.

One thing I've noticed playing a lot of games from both Evolution Studios, and Studio Liverpool. Is that it's not uncommon for

a) the games to be 'too hard' in some peoples eyes
b) difficulty patches arive later as a means of allowing users to moderate difficulty
c) the games have some really challenging time trials.

Motorstorm, Wipeout HD, and Driveclub are some of the hardest racing games around. At the very least, vastly much more challenging than their contemporaries, like Burnout, Need for Speed and the Forza series of games.

For those that have experience with other games from Evolution or Studio Liverpool, how do you feel that Driveclub ranks in terms of difficulty. Is the Venom Wet Hotlap harder than Beating Zico on Wipeout HD? I don't think so, but it's close!

I actually really enjoy the difficulty of these games, but I can see why others struggle too. Heck I never managed to beat the original Motorstorm. I guess I didn't persevere long enough, and the AI were jerks.

I didn't put nearly as much time into Wipeout HD as i did into Motorstorm PR, Motorstorm Apocalypse and Driveclub, so i can't say anything in that regard, but imo Driveclub is easier than Pacific Rift and much harder than Apocalypse (which wasn't hard at all). While i got through the campaign on PR, i never got gold on all the races and beating those developer ghosts seemed incredibly hard to me at the time. What gave me the most problems was that to be competitive, you seemingly had to use the nitro boost throughout the whole race, constantly being on the brink of exploding, which felt pretty tiresome. I liked how they handled air and water cooldown of the boost in Apocalypse better than in PR.

Ogawa-san

I've gotten every star but the last in venom hot lap. I've given up on it back then and proceeded to clear the rest of the season pass. Even hot lap 2, which I thought for sure would be impossible for me just from the name alone.

I still can't do it. It's a humbling experience, clearing everything made me think I had gitten at least a bit gud but nope, clearly I still haven't grasped driving and/or DC particularities.

I've gotten every star but the last in venom hot lap. I've given up on it back then and proceeded to clear the rest of the season pass. Even hot lap 2, which I thought for sure would be impossible for me just from the name alone.

I still can't do it. It's a humbling experience, clearing everything made me think I had gitten at least a bit gud but nope, clearly I still haven't grasped driving and/or DC particularities.

Try this

https://youtu.be/U0BzyiBwKAo

Yes it's tough but persist and you will do it. Just keep plugging away and if you find yourself getting frustrated then go do something else and come back to it. The key is really in being smooth, not losing the back end on corner exit and knowing how much of the corner you can cut without losing time or getting a penalty.

How close have you managed to get to the 1:16?

Anyone else having trouble with multiplayer?

I get "thrown" out constantly either right at the start of the event (before car/bike selection) or after car selection or when loading to the actual race or within 2 laps of the actual race. This started just before christmas, so 23rd or 24th.

Anyone else having trouble with multiplayer?

I get "thrown" out constantly either right at the start of the event (before car/bike selection) or after car selection or when loading to the actual race or within 2 laps of the actual race. This started just before christmas, so 23rd or 24th.

Yep, I haven't played online much recently but I've had this too the last couple of times I did. I thought it might've been the port forwarding I set up for battlefront but reverting back made no difference. I've also had the red servera cannot be reached message during tour events a couple of times but thought it could be just the weight of numbers on the psn over Christmas

Yep, I haven't played online much recently but I've had this too the last couple of times I did. I thought it might've been the port forwarding I set up for battlefront but reverting back made no difference. I've also had the red servera cannot be reached message during tour events a couple of times but thought it could be just the weight of numbers on the psn over Christmas

And there were "sports only" events going on also, I must say I'm a bit bummed because of the network troubles. More sports/performance only online events Rushy, pretty please?

Fox Mulder

That was one of the hardest races of my life and finally got gold with 1:15.703.
And after that, there is another Venom Hot Lap in the rain that I haven't finished it yet. :

It was tough, but lightly cutting corners made it passable with some hard driving. Can't wait to run into that second one, lol.

I didn't put nearly as much time into Wipeout HD as i did into Motorstorm PR, Motorstorm Apocalypse and Driveclub, so i can't say anything in that regard, but imo Driveclub is easier than Pacific Rift and much harder than Apocalypse (which wasn't hard at all). While i got through the campaign on PR, i never got gold on all the races and beating those developer ghosts seemed incredibly hard to me at the time. What gave me the most problems was that to be competitive, you seemingly had to use the nitro boost throughout the whole race, constantly being on the brink of exploding, which felt pretty tiresome. I liked how they handled air and water cooldown of the boost in Apocalypse better than in PR.

Yeah I did not get all the gold medals on Pacific Rift either. I did not mind the time trials but I thought the AI was overly aggressive in the races. Often they would seemingly go faster than their vehicle class should allow, and sabotage themselves just to screw you over.

The time trials there were easier than in Wipeout HD though. So overall I would say HD is a harder game, Pacific Rift just involves more trial and error, due to aggressive AI.

DC AI is a big improvement from Motorstorm. I feel like Motorstorm excused its bad AI with its games nature, i.e. the 'motorstorm' tournament often suggested aggressive play was the name of the game, so it made sense that the cars were always on you, and always aggressive.

Since Studio Liverpool are no more I'm hoping Evolution will take the helm on a Wipeout game someday. In a way it always disappoints me when I hear about more Driveclub DLC, as it means it's less likely that they're working on a new Motorstorm or Wipeout. :(

drotahorror

Since Studio Liverpool are no more I'm hoping Evolution will take the helm on a Wipeout game someday. In a way it always disappoints me when I hear about more Driveclub DLC, as it means it's less likely that they're working on a new Motorstorm or Wipeout. :(

You just have to keep hoping they add a Motorstorm or Rally expansion to DC. Like me.

Deband

Guys I have the disc version plus the season pass and bikes. Since the digital version is on sale I might pick it up. Has anyone swapped from disc to digital? Will my save be OK?

desu

Guys I have the disc version plus the season pass and bikes. Since the digital version is on sale I might pick it up. Has anyone swapped from disc to digital? Will my save be OK?
Save will be okay, you just need to download the game again (can't use your disc install).

Top Bottom