• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Caffer

Neo Member
Wtf I've been knocked out of the street 2 times in one race, From second to last and again from third to last.. I cannot even insult them and risk being banned lol... I love this game but sometimes i d really like to rage quit... Is it too much to ask to have a fair race without jerks?

Shaneus

I nailed it in about my 8th attempt. It's not that hard. You just have to know how to drive the car, as no other car in the game really behaves like it. It's my favorite car to use, though. Admittedly I haven't unlocked the McLaren P1, so we'll see if that changes anything.
I don't think it's my favourite (that might be reserved for the Mono? Or one of the Beamers? I don't know... I have lots of favourites!) but it's up there now. The biggest tip for that track is to realise just how much speed you lose when breaking traction with it. Much better to brake and slow down a little more, then feather the throttle out of the corner instead.

There's also the odd corner or two you can cut almost completely if you leave just a few inches of tyre on the road/rumble strips. All I want to do now is go back home and try it again. Once you start unlocking the "secrets" of how to take corners with certain cars yourself (not just the Venom) the game becomes just this whole other beast, because every single car takes every single corner differently.

Can't wait until we get full weather in as well. That means that not only do we have full time trial leaderboards for each car and each track (with face-offs), but I assume we'll have them for each weather variation, too.

PS. You'll love the P1, KJ. The KERS/DRS adds another two variables on how to take corners/straights. There'll be such a wide variety of how the top drivers get their times with that thing, it'll be fantastic.

Hugstable

Banned
Actually, no. It's possible to do it with 430 Scuderia. My second attempt
iNUN1O3TzRuR9.jpg

I did one km/h more than required. It should be 266km/h for this race.
Obviously, it's much easier to do it with the locked car. I think i left this event until I got the faster Ferrari ;)

Interesting, gonna try another run right now in the Scuderia then, I always have a things for trying to complete all the stars in the sets of races before moving onto the next trophy.

EDIT: Scuderia finally worked! WOOO! Pulled it off right at the very last second, I went barreling into the wall XD

Kodros

The pedals are sub par for a $400 wheel. I wish they had a T3PA with this, but the wheel nonetheless is very satisfying. I had a G27 before this, and those pedals were way better then this. But anyway, playing with a wheel makes the game much better.

Sadly the biggest reason to keep this wheel is none of the old ones work.

Dunno if you saw this. Might be worth the $20. http://www.ricmotech.com/product_p/rmt-t500w2g27p.htm

For my DFGT pedals, I rigged them up with a bungie cord. It actually worked out really well so if I decide to keep the wheel, I'd probably do the same.

Kodros

Wtf I've been knocked out of the street 2 times in one race, From second to last and again from third to last.. I cannot even insult them and risk being banned lol... I love this game but sometimes i d really like to rage quit... Is it too much to ask to have a fair race without jerks?

It's because racing without crashing into people is really hard. Nobody is a pro so everybody brakes at different times and that causes all sorts of problems. What Evo should really do to help the situation is bump up the brightness of the rear brake lights. Most cars I can barely see when they come on.

Have not mastered drifting, but I do have a tip. In the drift events, make sure you maximize those drift zones that are really conducive to long, fast drifts.

I had trouble with the Marussia event until I stopped worrying so much about the really sharp turns (like the first drift zone). Look for the longer turns where you can carry some (but not too much) speed into the turn, but don't start your drift until you're enough into the turn that you can drift through the second half of the turn and down some of the subsequent straight.

The biggest thing to avoid is a fast drift that has you sliding into the wall near the middle of the turn. That's a waste of a lot of potential points. You generate a lot of points from just sliding at an angle with speed (while accelerating), so take advantage of the wider turns with straights after them. I got more than 3,000 points on I think the second drift zone in the Marussia event with a nice long drift. I think I got one more good 2,000 point drift and just made sure I was solid (500-1000) on the other zones.

Oh, and be sure you press the handbrake button long enough to initiate the drift. You could just turn with some cars and drift. And just using your brakes and turning will do it in most of the faster cars. But this game tends to initiate the drift points faster if you use the handbrake first. So it's a must for the drift events.

There are other posts in this thread that give some great tips on the actual mechanics of drifting in this game. Hope this helps!

Thanks. I just need some tips.

VMAN01

It's because racing without crashing into people is really hard. Nobody is a pro so everybody brakes at different times and that causes all sorts of problems. What Evo should really do to help the situation is bump up the brightness of the rear brake lights. Most cars I can barely see when they come on.

That's not entirely true, there are some asshats out there who just purposely don't brake and ram into anyone, especially on the first corner. This is why I am super happy if I am starting at the at the very front or dead last since it's easy to avoid the clusterfuck of morons trying to take each other out.

Getting successful drift scores means coming out of a drift well enough to set yourself up for the next one. Almost like chaining combos together. That means successfully coming out of a drift, being able to smoothly maintain speed to set up your next drift, then repeat until the end. It can be hard as hell and I've had to hit retry about a billion times, but when you pull it off you feel like...Oh I can do better than that.

Zalusithix

OK, I haven't been keeping up on the OTs, but either there's cheating going on, or the servers are capable of giving garbage face off data. My first TT run on "The Kyle" and I saw it having me try to beat an average speed of over 1,000mph for a section. Last I checked, ThrustSSC wasn't a car in this game (not that even it could do that). Pity I didn't think to grab a screencap of it - and subsequent runs all give me different targets to hit - much more sane ones.

I hope it is just the servers scrambling up data somehow and they're not actually accepting data from clients that far out of whack.

Shaneus

OK, I haven't been keeping up on the OTs, but either there's cheating going on, or the servers are capable of giving garbage face off data. My first TT run on "The Kyle" and I saw it having me try to beat an average speed of over 1,000mph for a section. Last I checked, ThrustSSC wasn't a car in this game (not that even it could do that). Pity I didn't think to grab a screencap of it - and subsequent runs all give me different targets to hit - much more sane ones.

I hope it is just the servers scrambling up data somehow and they're not actually accepting data from clients that far out of whack.
Well-known bug, it's apparently due to mixing up speed face-offs with drifting ones or something. It's definitely not cheating and definitely will be fixed. Some I actually find seem to fix themselves somehow, like maybe it knows it pulled incorrect data and retries, I'm not sure.

Zalusithix

Well-known bug, it's apparently due to mixing up speed face-offs with drifting ones or something. It's definitely not cheating and definitely will be fixed. Some I actually find seem to fix themselves somehow, like maybe it knows it pulled incorrect data and retries, I'm not sure.

Well that's good to know. Bugs I can live with (so long as they get fixed). Falsified data on the other hand, not so much. Most of my interest in the game lies in the TT mode, so my enjoyment would be significantly diminished if I were to end up facing off against impossibilities.

Also on an unrelated note, but now that I have an Xbox One, and have had time to mess around in Forza Horizon 2 (thank you discounted Sunset Overdrive bundle!), I can appreciate DriveClub more. I mean, FH2 is great, especially with the impulse triggers, but I enjoy the game more in an exploratory and collecting way. I tend to be in follow cam mode, and just have fun going around doing whatever.

In DriveClub on the other hand I pretty much exclusively use the first person or dash cam view and play for the driving experience. The combination of the more realistic lighting, along with the handling differences and no rewind/driving line/etc kind of create a surreal experience that FH2 just can't match. Pulling off a perfect drift through a corner is just somehow more rewarding, Driving a track for the first time at night is more harrowing. The game just evokes more of a man + machine + road sort of connection.

FH2 is probably the better game, but damn does DriveClub have the driving experience in spades.

Vodh

Ugh, I found two slightly used/like new PS4s for $275 and $299. Not sure if I should jump on them >_<

What about that (was it confirmed or just leaked?) Dell Black Friday bunduru with TLOU and GTA for $400? Might be worth the extra money if you're interested in GTA.

Kumubou

Getting successful drift scores means coming out of a drift well enough to set yourself up for the next one. Almost like chaining combos together. That means successfully coming out of a drift, being able to smoothly maintain speed to set up your next drift, then repeat until the end. It can be hard as hell and I've had to hit retry about a billion times, but when you pull it off you feel like...Oh I can do better than that.
This isn't really true, from my experience, due to how drift events are scored. The points for the length of the drift are non-linear, and on most turns you are better off drifting all the way to the end marker and as hard as possible, even if it means putting yourself sideways and/or off-track. The marginal points you loose from a speed zone (since you're going to be burning off a lot of speed out of the drift anyway) aren't worth it when you can get an extra 1,000+ points from finishing like that. Watch some of the top ghost replays, their actual drift style is awful but that's how you score the most points since the drift scoring in this game is hopped up on goofballs. They really should have made a modifier for the drift scoring for how clean your exit is.

leng jai

Well put, and I've been trying to put the same damn thing into words for weeks now :)

Let's be honest, Horizon is a much better game and close to nailing it's potential already. Drive club is great game for a small subset of racing fans but it has massive room for improvement and nowhere near its potential currently.

Konosuke

BTW evolution sure have been quiet..

Yes, it sucks. I was hoping they would begin doing a weekly or bi-weekly blog update à lá Bungie. I would love that. But they've been like this even before Driveclub's release, so it's nothing new.

Let's be honest, Horizon is a much better game and close to nailing it's potential already. Drive club is great game for a small subset of racing fans but it has massive room for improvement and nowhere near its potential currently.
Being completely honest, even though I wouldn't recommend it to people without disclaimers, I'd still much rather play DriveClub.

I've tried - went back to Horizon to finish off the festival - well, the first ending of the festival anyway, and while the driving felt great, it was missing that bite, that sense of danger. And it doesn't demand nearly as much precision as DC, even with DC's arcade-ish physics. Horizon is about going nuts on long highway stretches and exploring and cutting corners and upgrading and tuning and showing off your designs and hopping around like a kangaroo off-road. That's beautiful shit right there, but its not screaming down a narrow strip of Canadian forest while your engine sounds like you're about to explode.

That and I'm honestly a little disappointed in Horizon. Rally in the first game was really demanding, and had a honed sense of risk and reward, and of trying to control something that just wanted to bounce around like crazy off-road. But H2 ditched everything I enjoyed about that expansion, to make way for wild and crazy races through forests and over hillsides - good stuff in its own way - but not where my gaming heart is.

Cubed

I kind of feel like just hopping in this thread and sharing my thoughts after a month of jamming on this game. It's flat out amazing and I haven't even hopped into online multiplayer yet. I have almost earned all of the trophies and currently sit at 201 stars in the tour mode.

It's utterly addicting and probably the only racing game that has kept my attention for more than a month other than GT5.

The tracks, the physics, the graphics... they are all top-notch. The only thing I feel the game needs in order to be the best racing game it can be is a larger and more varied car list.

Shaneus

I actually played Horizon 2 for the first time at a booth at PAX Aus, and as good as it looks I just couldn't see myself enjoying it all that much. The forced offroad felt really weird, and with no limits to stick to (without penalties a la DC) there's really no refining a particular driving line to improve times... at least in the brief stint I had with it.

It also took far too long to get into anything! The guy before me had just completed that initial Lambo run, so I had to sit through so much convolution... unskippable voiceovers, unskippable cutscenes, little bits of hand-holding at every corner. It was a relief to come back to DC and just push three or four buttons and be in a race.

More power to people who like Horizon 2, if it's anything like H1 it'd be a great exploratory title. But from what I can gather, the RPG element of it takes a strong passenger seat to the driving and pulls emphasis from it somewhat. DC is just pure driving and that's why I adore the hell out of it.

One of the posters above me was spot-on on potential as well. Driveclub feels like it has more room to grow than H2. A monthly DLC pack of 5 cars or whatever is a whole bunch of new cars compared to the ones that already exist... but 10 cars in H2 in addition to the few hundred already there are likely to get lost in the fray and rarely appreciated.

God, I hope this doesn't start some kind of flame war (and I don't intend it to). Hell, if I ever buy a One (I'm sure I will) no doubt I'll be getting FM5 and H2. But with neither seemingly having the focus on pure driving/racing like Driveclub does (as long as they have tuning/liveries in it, I doubt they ever will) I don't think I'll ever favour them.

It's why (up until a month or two ago) I still play(ed) PGR4.

The tracks, the physics, the graphics... they are all top-notch. The only thing I feel the game needs in order to be the best racing game it can be is a larger and more varied car list.
I can only guess, but with Japan being the next location I suspect your wish will be granted :)

What about that (was it confirmed or just leaked?) Dell Black Friday bunduru with TLOU and GTA for $400? Might be worth the extra money if you're interested in GTA.
Eh, couldn't contain myself and bought a new PS4. I didn't want to take my chances at possibly getting that bundle. Now I just gotta buy this game. :)

sp3000

Being completely honest, even though I wouldn't recommend it to people without disclaimers, I'd still much rather play DriveClub.

I've tried - went back to Horizon to finish off the festival - well, the first ending of the festival anyway, and while the driving felt great, it was missing that bite, that sense of danger. And it doesn't demand nearly as much precision as DC, even with DC's arcade-ish physics. Horizon is about going nuts on long highway stretches and exploring and cutting corners and upgrading and tuning and showing off your designs and hopping around like a kangaroo off-road. That's beautiful shit right there, but its not screaming down a narrow strip of Canadian forest while your engine sounds like you're about to explode.

That and I'm honestly a little disappointed in Horizon. Rally in the first game was really demanding, and had a honed sense of risk and reward, and of trying to control something that just wanted to bounce around like crazy off-road. But H2 ditched everything I enjoyed about that expansion, to make way for wild and crazy races through forests and over hillsides - good stuff in its own way - but not where my gaming heart is.

This is what PGR has always had and no game has understood it until Driveclub. The old NFS games (3 and 4) also nailed that feeling that your car was just barely under your control. The shame is it's surrounded by utterly dumb design decisions like the penalties.

FH2 driving model feels clinical in comparison. Honestly, I find it kind of sad because if you combined the two games you would probably have the best racing ever made. FH2 is polished to perfection but the core is mediocre. Driveclub has an amazing core but its surrounded by unnecessary stuff like the entire online and club system which is probably going to end up leading to Evolution's downfall. Which sucks because this is best racing game since PGR4, and the last of a very rare kind of game that has been eclipsed by bloated racers like Gran Turismo and Forza.

Oh yeah and Driveclub's OST >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any racing game in the last 10 years

It also took far too long to get into anything! The guy before me had just completed that initial Lambo run, so I had to sit through so much convolution... unskippable voiceovers, unskippable cutscenes, little bits of hand-holding at every corner. It was a relief to come back to DC and just push three or four buttons and be in a race.

Trash like this makes me want to switch to Driveclub every time though. What idiot at Turn 10 or Playground thought it was a good idea to put this much unskippable stuff in a game?

Afrikan

Yeah this is Next Gen

Just got home from work.

On the toilet seat.

Came in Second place online, racing on The Kyle.

I think I said it before, but the Vita controls work perfectly with DriveClub and Remote Play.

Only thing is I had to look closer at the screen and obviously it's harder to courtesy flush during a race.

leng jai

One thing is for sure - arcade racers have an embarrassment of riches right now with both Drive Club and Horizon 2. It's just a shame they're both on separate systems.

That does get better. You get unskippable stuff until you've been introduced to everything in the game once. After that its very easy to move between events or start one up at any time.

God, I hope this doesn't start some kind of flame war (and I don't intend it to). Hell, if I ever buy a One (I'm sure I will) no doubt I'll be getting FM5 and H2. But with neither seemingly having the focus on pure driving/racing like Driveclub does (as long as they have tuning/liveries in it, I doubt they ever will) I don't think I'll ever favour them.
I'd say Forza Motorsport has the pure driving and racing down pat, and it looks gorgeous at times, to the extent that it can with its track circuits, but it isn't as dangerous or as varied in driving conditions as DriveClub. Still, for pure racing challenge and enjoyment, you can't go wrong with F5 at all.

Shaneus

That does get better. You get unskippable stuff until you've been introduced to everything in the game once. After that its very easy to move between events or start one up at any time.
Yeah, that's why I explained how it was at the very start of the race and as it'd go on, I kinda knew it would become much less of a thing. Still, as an introduction to the game I at least thought they would've put the demo up at this particular kiosk (vs. the full retail game).

I'd say Forza Motorsport has the pure driving and racing down pat, and it looks gorgeous at times, to the extent that it can with its track circuits, but it isn't as dangerous or as varied in driving conditions as DriveClub. Still, for pure racing challenge and enjoyment, you can't go wrong with F5 at all.
Yeah, I get that impression, and it does feel quite good when I've played the demo (again, at kiosks) but there something about DC that gives the car more weight I think. Either way, I'm sure I'll own a Forza console soon and at least get FM5 with it (or given the timeframe, probably get FM6).

Caffer

Neo Member
That's the problem for some ppl, but when you go straight and someone bumps you repeatedly when he clearly has the space to surpass he just wants to knock you out lol

Shaneus

Just watched that leaked video, holy crap does it look amazing. I'd be surprised if Evo don't work on some kind of a rally game once they're done with DC.

viveks86

So, soon will be in function?

Not soon. But soony. No solid date yet, unfortunately. But there is light at the end of the tunnel. When challenges come, DLC will follow. Expect a decent amount of new content before end of the month. 3 tracks + cars + some events. And 1 new big feature that starts with photo and ends with mode. Just guessing ;)

Marlenus

I need to get back into this game. I was having a blast with it but the server issues turned me off a bit and now I am so busy renovating a house that I do not have time to play. As soon as that is done though I am going to be binge playing this to make up for lost time and hopefully the server will be working better than last time I played.

benzy

Not soon. But soony. No solid date yet, unfortunately. But there is light at the end of the tunnel. When challenges come, DLC will follow. Expect a decent amount of new content before end of the month. 2 tracks + cars + some events. And 1 new big feature that starts with photo and ends with mode. Just guessing ;)

rick-james-gimme.gif

Not soon. But soony. No solid date yet, unfortunately. But there is light at the end of the tunnel. When challenges come, DLC will follow. Expect a decent amount of new content before end of the month. 2 tracks + cars + some events. And 1 new big feature that starts with photo and ends with mode. Just guessing ;)
Photosynthesis mode for the vegetation? Sheeeeeeeeeeeiiiiittttttt.

Tommi84

Not soon. But soony.
Sorry, but I'm starting to get FED UP with all the bshit happening with Evos 'work' at fixing the issues. Multiplayer works 'somehow', challenges are MIA and I have a strong feeling that they are doing little or nothing to fix the problems with the disconnections. It's silly to have a message while driving online 'Lost connection to servers' even though I can still race and finish the track

Sorry, but I'm starting to get FED UP with all the bshit happening with Evos 'work' at fixing the issues. Multiplayer works 'somehow', challenges are MIA and I have a strong feeling that they are doing little or nothing to fix the problems with the disconnections. It's silly to have a message while driving online 'Lost connection to servers' even though I can still race and finish the track
What you lost was the connection for Face Offs.

I think you'd prefer that then being booted entirely.

Top Bottom