• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

CodeTalker

Neo Member
What region are you? If you're in the US, you should just keep trying. Refund requests seem to arbitrary based on the whims of the support person you're dealing with.

I got a refund for the digital version on my US PSN account. It took two attempts of asking on Sony's Chat Support. First dude denied me, second dude put through my refund request no questions asked. 3 days later, the money was back in my PSN wallet.

The game is fundamentally broken. I can't understand how anyone could say otherwise. The whole social/multiplayer/Club part doesn't work.

#DRIVECLUB

I think you should invoke the chargeback threat for better chances of a refund

Afrikan

so last night was kind of weird, and it seemed like alot of other players weren't connecting maybe.

but in one race I was on the Red Team, by myself..lol. And the Blue Team actually had 3 members of the same club.

toward the end of the race, I had a chance to get past the car in first place, but it would've been a little dirty... but I chose not to, since the whole team raced a clean race and didn't gang up on me during that whole time.

anyone else go up against a team full of club members?

AndyD

aka andydumi
so last night was kind of weird, and it seemed like alot of other players weren't connecting maybe.

but in one race I was on the Red Team, by myself..lol. And the Blue Team actually had 3 members of the same club.

toward the end of the race, I had a chance to get past the car in first place, but it would've been a little dirty... but I chose not to, since the whole team raced a clean race and didn't gang up on me during that whole time.

anyone else go up against a team full of club members?

I have seen 2 on the same team same club. But never 3. I imagine once online is ironed out we will be able to run in teams by clubs which only makes sense. I thought we were also supposed to be able to challenge other clubs in team racing.

gl0w

Online is f*cked up again. Amazing.

Can't join online races. I really love this game but this is too bad to handle.

dano1

A Sheep
Am I the only person who controls the car with the dpad?

I remember those days when there was no sticks and it took me awhile to get used to them. But there is no way I could go back to the dpad now! I'm assuming 95% of people use the sticks or a wheel now..

QaaQer

Wouldn't the obvious and easily reproducible behavior where the entire field of AI drivers slow down when you slow down contradict this?

Of course the AI is going to react to the player, including slowing down. I'm not saying the AI ignores the player, just that the AI isn't fodder. The scripts drive aggressive, like race car drivers should and are not concerned about the player's feelings.

And in response to a situation reacting to the AI compromising the player in ways that the player has no way to control or respond to, that's just unreasonable. It ceases to be about skill, taking both of those into account.

Any footage? Because I'm not sure what you mean. The AI, from my experience, just drives and it's me who causes the chaos.

Is it perfect? No. But It feels real enough to me to be a good challenge.

The AI in this game man. They are just so ruthless. Any idea when this livery is dropping?

uhqcgv.gif

Kodros

The pedals are sub par for a $400 wheel. I wish they had a T3PA with this, but the wheel nonetheless is very satisfying. I had a G27 before this, and those pedals were way better then this. But anyway, playing with a wheel makes the game much better.

Sadly the biggest reason to keep this wheel is none of the old ones work.

So the pedals were way better than expected. I've read plenty of reviews where they said that it gave very little feedback but I found the opposite. I'm sure there are better feeling pedals but I had zero problems handling the car when it comes to throttle control. My gas pedal is a little squeaky which should be easy to fix.

But man, that $400 tag is still hard for me to justify. Well, I have until January I think to return it to Amazon heh.

i_max

Neo Member
So the pedals were way better than expected. I've read plenty of reviews where they said that it gave very little feedback but I found the opposite. I'm sure there are better feeling pedals but I had zero problems handling the car when it comes to throttle control. My gas pedal is a little squeaky which should be easy to fix.

But man, that $400 tag is still hard for me to justify. Well, I have until January I think to return it to Amazon heh.

Good, I don't think the pedals are unplayable or anything, just not something you'd expect from a $400 wheel. I sold of my G27 so I don't have those pedals anymore, I but I did check the link you posted. The next on my list is the F1 wheel. Apparently it went down to $100 sometime near January, if it drops again, I'll get it

I think you'll keep it, the wheel itself is pretty nice. I like how on the fly you can change the rotation degree, but I also wish it stick till its changed.

ajcacio

Banned
God the multiplayer in this game sucks. If you're stuck in the middle of the pack you'll get rammed and spun out at every turn. Nearly every time I make it past the first turn I win the race by like 15 seconds. Evolution need to do some serious work on the multiplayer, it's terrible.

Edit: got in the first multiplayer race super quickly but then quit because of shitheads. Now I can't even get in a lobby

Oneself

All I'm worried about is how delayed the season pass and weather stuff will be. :|
I thought Driveclub would save Evolution, but the more I think about it, the more I guess we'll be stuck at the monkey part for a long time.

This has got to be one of the most infuriating racing games I've ever played.

I don't want to be drifting around a corner at all. I don't want to be penalised for not drifting around a corner by having massive understeer either.

It's like, why reward bad driving? Drifting and skidding everywhere should be slower not faster than lining up corners, hitting the apex, accelerating all the way through.

It's just not possible in this game.

le-seb

I don't want to be drifting around a corner at all. I don't want to be penalised for not drifting around a corner by having massive understeer either.
What are you talking about?
I couldn't drift to save my life in this game but can however win events and slowly make my way in the solo mode.

Niks

God the multiplayer in this game sucks. If you're stuck in the middle of the pack you'll get rammed and spun out at every turn. Nearly every time I make it past the first turn I win the race by like 15 seconds. Evolution need to do some serious work on the multiplayer, it's terrible.

Yeah, it's mind boggling that during internal testing / beta / alpha, someone didn't raise a flag about this.

Finished all stars, but haven't touched mp for days because of this...

Viruz

It's like, why reward bad driving? Drifting and skidding everywhere should be slower not faster than lining up corners, hitting the apex, accelerating all the way through.

Just play and ignore the drift challenges like I do. I'll try them later.

What are you talking about?
I couldn't drift to save my life in this game but can however win events and slowly make my way in the solo mode.

I can win events and races online.

When you're pushing the car and accelerating through corners the cars either understeer or kick into a massive drift.

There's no poise there at all. The game wants you to drift hence why there's so much understeer when you try to drive "properly".

When you're pushing the car and accelerating through corners the cars either understeer or kick into a massive drift.

There's no poise there at all. The game wants you to drift hence why there's so much understeer when you try to drive "properly".

No it doesn't you clearly lose speed when sliding and you lose speed when drifting. Sounds to me like you are going too fast into corners (sliding) or trying to accelerate through a corner after going too slow into a corner (understeer).

CLEEK

I think you should invoke the chargeback threat for better chances of a refund

You advocate committing fraud?

Regardless of the service, Chargebacks are a guaranteed path to getting your digital account banned. CC chargebacks exists for when you haven't received the goods you have been charged for, or for when a charge was made on your card without your approval (fraud). They're not for claiming back money because you depute something about the product you bought yourself and have received.

Shaneus

Yup. Odd indeed. How is it in forza? Do the dlcs have any progression or are they instant unlocks?
Hah, remember the DLC for FM4? Nurburgring track, never came up in career mode. So, so shitty.

Or was that FM3? Might've been that. Really bad, just not implemented at all into the game, just added as a menu option basically.

It almost worked for me once. Coulda sworn I was able to select the challenges menu and at least browse some challenges. That was early days though, and only that once. The option has been unavailable for me ever since.
Up until 1.05, I think it did. It would flash on for half a second and you could actually go into it, but it would just timeout after selecting either individual or club challenges (I think those were the two options).

But yeah, this game reminded me of GT's superior handling and the fact that racing games should be 60fps.
Ah, this old chestnut again. I've never once felt like this game would play better if it was 60fps. Literally not once.

Drifting and skidding *is* slower than lining up corners. You can't beat the Venom challenge if you get on the throttle the tiniest bit early on any of the corners. It definitely felt faster to drift, but it really isn't at all... I wouldn't have beaten it if I didn't start hitting apexes.

benzy

What turns are you having problems with? Faster times still rely on driving line, speed of entry, and throttle control. With corners and chicanes like these drifting will just slow you down. If you're understeering then you're probably going too fast through the corner.

jaylnf.gif

dgvkvf.gif

VMAN01

So has there actually been any news on why the servers are like this? Not anticipating demand is one thing but surely something else must have massively gone wrong for it to still be down almost a month after release.

Viruz

So has there actually been any news on why the servers are like this? Not anticipating demand is one thing but surely something else must have massively gone wrong for it to still be down almost a month after release.
Ambition, too much of it.

CLEEK

Their back end was rubbish. When players connected and talked to the back-end, it couldn't cope with the load. Poor client side code, not enough resources or infrastructure, unoptimised store procs, bad table design, not closing connections etc. All things that happening during development of any application, and things that require capacity planning and testing to discover and resolve.

Evo didn't test it properly. There are tons of tools available to script and simulate thousands/millions of connections and real world usage of systems. And there are public betas, which replaces simulation for real end user load. They didn't do either. They only found out their back-end was useless the day the game launched, and have spent the past 5 weeks trying to fix it. Sony have now brought in other teams to help them with this, so it's not a slight tweak of their existing code, but a complete overhaul/re-write.

Ambition, too much of it.

Haha. No.

Shaneus

Their back end was rubbish. When players connected and talked to the back-end, it couldn't cope with the load. Poor client side code, not enough resources or infrastructure, unoptimised store procs, bad table design, not closing connections etc. All things that happening during development of any application, and things that require capacity planning and testing to discover and resolve.

Evo didn't test it properly. There are tons of tools available to script and simulate thousands/millions of connections and real world usage of systems. And there are public betas, which replaces simulation for real end user load. They didn't do either. They only found out their back-end was useless the day the game launched, and have spent the past 5 weeks trying to fix it. Sony have now brought in other teams to help them with this, so it's not a slight tweak of their existing code, but a complete overhaul/re-write.
They didn't do either?
http://www.reddit.com/r/Driveclub/comments/2ktfa0/head_of_playstation_france_mistake_comes_from/
"This didn't happen during the beta trial or under load testing throughout development."
(apologies for linking to a Reddit article that quotes another, I can't access anything else at work)

Maybe they didn't do the right testing, but to say they didn't do any load testing is bullshit. I haven't seen official word of whether the adjustment of code is a complete rewrite of slight tweak... if you have a link, I'd love to read it (not trying to call you out, I'd honestly like to see it if they did).

Synth

Ah, this old chestnut again. I've never once felt like this game would play better if it was 60fps. Literally not once.

Seriously?

I mean, I've spent a lot of time defending 30fps racers on here when the topic comes up, and most play perfectly fine.... but all else being equal, I don't think any 30fps wouldn't be significantly better at 60fps. You only need to play a PC port of stuff like Sonic Transformed, compared with the console versions to immediately see/feel the difference.

just played tour for a few hours and got a few more stars

now playing The Crew beta OMG my eyes it hurts how ugly is that shit when you had DC eye candy for weeks

Are you guessing? I mean, on day one I assumed it was something like that: too many open files, fds, sockets or database connections. However all those could be fixed with a linux guy and a days worth of googling stackoverflow for answers.

Even if it was deeper: bad SQL with inefficient indexes, inappropriately sized hardware, a client side bug that left dangling server sockets or something else a bit deeper, now a week of someone moderately talented would straighten it all out. This database isn't Facebook after all, it is only times, ghosts, and so on.

But now since it is so long I'm really curious to know what it is. I'm having trouble believing it can be as simple as you describe (and I would have guessed after only a few days downtime).

Hugstable

Banned
Seriously?

I mean, I've spent a lot of time defending 30fps racers on here when the topic comes up, and most play perfectly fine.... but all else being equal, I don't think any 30fps wouldn't be significantly better at 60fps. You only need to play a PC port of stuff like Sonic Transformed, compared with the console versions to immediately see/feel the difference.

Yup they truly are worlds apart, I mean that 60fps Driveclub video from the other looks absolutely amazing. Driveclub is fun, and 60 fps would have made it that much better. I almost didn't get Driveclub because of it, but I'm glad I gave in just for these sweet windy mountain runs.

Shaneus

Seriously?

Absolutely seriously. It plays perfectly fine, why would I think it'd play more perfectly with a better framerate?

Would it be "better"? Probably. But given the game's been designed around it being 30fps (with the included motion blur and graphical effects etc.) I've honestly never thought about it not being 60.

DonMigs85

Absolutely seriously. It plays perfectly fine, why would I think it'd play more perfectly with a better framerate?

Would it be "better"? Probably. But given the game's been designed around it being 30fps (with the included motion blur and graphical effects etc.) I've honestly never thought about it not being 60.

60FPS still has that certain premium look and feel to it. It's what makes Forza and Gran Turismo classier (except GT6, that was unstable as hell)
That being said, I really hope we get a new Burnout game this gen

Shaneus

60FPS still has that certain premium look and feel to it. It's what makes Forza and Gran Turismo classier (except GT6, that was unstable as hell)
That being said, I really hope we get a new Burnout game this gen
I agree, it does. And of course at times I've thought DC would be interesting to see at 60, but not once while I was playing.

I agree, it does. And of course at times I've thought DC would be interesting to see at 60, but not once while I was playing.
Yeah, 60fps would be flat out amazing, but its not absolutely required here as the game is extremely responsive as is. You don't feel any lag in your inputs.

I haven't anyway, and I've been bouncing between this and Titanfall lately.

NHale

If I had to guess the code is completely borked and couldn't handle a high load of users constantly requiring info from the servers. The game while connected online is constantly pinging the servers to obtain leaderboards, ghosts, face-offs and challenges and the game simply can't handle it. Which is hilarious considering they were going to offer part of the game for every PS+ user (~7M potential users.....).

It worked well during the "public" beta phase because 95% of the time those betas are 5000 users worldwide connected at the same time. There was a reason Destiny offered public betas open to everyone: if you are working on an heavy online dependent game, you have to open the gates and allow everyone to test it.

It's a shame because I can't see how Evolution is going to survive this. They were already on the brink of being shut down after the Motorstorm Apocalypse failure and Driveclub delay. Now this will probably the final nail in the coffin. Nobody is going to trust them anymore which is a shame because Driveclub is actually a great game that despite the complete online failure I would have still preordered it again even knowing this was going to happen at launch.

Are you guessing? I mean, on day one I assumed it was something like that: too many open files, fds, sockets or database connections. However all those could be fixed with a linux guy and a days worth of googling stackoverflow for answers.

Even if it was deeper: bad SQL with inefficient indexes, inappropriately sized hardware, a client side bug that left dangling server sockets or something else a bit deeper, now a week of someone moderately talented would straighten it all out. This database isn't Facebook after all, it is only times, ghosts, and so on.

But now since it is so long I'm really curious to know what it is. I'm having trouble believing it can be as simple as you describe (and I would have guessed after only a few days downtime).
I would expect that they are having to re-write a tonne of shit, rather than simply adjusting or optimising what they have.

The early days were likely optimising and adjusting to get it to a somewhat usable state but my guess would be they are needing to re-work things architecturally and the code they had is not geared up to work in that way.

Famassu

Wow so this game still isn't fixed?
I got it coming next in the gamefly and I really want it to be good so I can just buy it
It's not completely fixed, but it works. Somewhat unreliably, but it works. Your club progression is saved and you can view club stats, leaderboards & ghosts work decently apart from multirace cups, face-offs during races work maybe ~80% of the time, online multiplayer works etc. Challenges are the only thing that are still completely offline, but apparently those are coming Soony(tm).

But yeah, I've had dozens & dozens of online races whenever I've had the time to play the game in the past 2+ weeks. The hardest part is usually getting into a lobby/race (I'd say about 2-4 out of 10 times it says there's error connecting), but once you try again (usually no more than once) and get into a lobby, it's usually more or less smooth sailing from there during races. There's some hitch here and there, but usually nothing too intrusive or something that doesn't happen in every other online multiplayer in existence, at times.

farmerboy

I would expect that they are having to re-write a tonne of shit, rather than simply adjusting or optimising what they have.

The early days were likely optimising and adjusting to get it to a somewhat usable state but my guess would be they are needing to re-work things architecturally and the code they had is not geared up to work in that way.

Yeah but in this day and age the size of this screw up is hard to believe. It's a ps+ game, they knew there would be millions having a go. Surely the code was written with that player base in mind. Its hard to imagine they got it so wrong.

crispyben

Alright, kicked that Venom Hot Lap's butt last night, never thought I could do it but I finally posted a 1'15"720 I think! It was nowhere near a clean lap, too, so don't lose hope if you're like me (i.e. not that good at racing games). What helped me is having face-offs for the right trajectory on the curves that were the most complicated for me, the 3rd one and the long left one.

That said, I'm not sure what version of the game I am playing (EU here), since the update history on my PS4 stops at 1.04, yet I'm fairly sure I downloaded at least one more update since that one, and I'm reading about 1.06 too... I think other GAFers had that issue too earlier in the thread, can anyone shed light on this? I guess I could always erase and re-install, but I don't want to go to such extremes

Shaneus

Did you try doing a manual update? You can highlight the game, press Option and select "Check for updates".

PS. Congrats on nailing the Venom hot lap! It can be frustrating knowing you're capable but unable to string all three sectors together, but when you do... oh man. Exhilarating.

-Amon-

Yeah, I did that, thanks, but it tells me the application is up to date, which is both reassuring and worrying.

I'm in the same boat. I'm 100 % sure i downloaded and installed wthout errors 1.05 and 1.06 but driveclub's patch history stops at 1.04 patch notes.

Btw, hit level 50 mark yersteday. Going to grind for all the doable trophies i miss ( not counting the challenge ones of course till they are fixed. )

Hope for a new level cap when dlc hits.

Top Bottom