• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dunkirk |OT| You can practically see it from here...home.

Dr.Acula

Banned

The English: God-tier level queueing.

I have a quick question that was definitely answered but I couldnt make out the sentence in his accent.

Was Tom Hardy the old man's son? Or was his son just in the airforce like Tom Hardy. I think the blonde kid said his brother died but I may have misheard

No relation, you heard right, died first three weeks of the war or something like that.

Thought the movie was good but not stellar. The use of time and sound was excellent, thought it was all very well done. But, to me,
it just felt like every scene was another drowning scene and that it would go from one drowning scene to the next
. I'm sure that was all intentional and what have you, I just wasn't a movie for me. Still a very well made movie, cinematography, sound, and how it was stitched together was well done.

Per that link:

Ummmm this movie gave no indication of that staggering loss of life? Is this accurate? Can't be

68,000 casualties, not deaths. But still the movie was focused more on the evacuation than the battle for Dunkirk, but the Nazis had stormed through France and backed the allies up.

It's fairly clear throughout the movie that the French and British had been annihilated, given that the movie starts with a conversation of suing for peace, and the eventual Battle for Britain is one everyone'd mind.

nOoblet16

Man IMAX corporation can go suck a dick with their fake ass IMAX systems being advertised as true IMAX. UK has just one actual 70mm IMAX, Printworks in Manchester has been shut down and the one in Bradford was converted to Digital IMAX in 2015. So even the cinemas are to be blamed for cheapening out. We have all these movies being shot in IMAX and yet so few screens that can actually show it.

It wouldn't be so bad if the digital IMAX were actually what they say it is i.e. the same IMAX experience but with a digital projection. But it's not, it's just slightly bigger and squarer and it isn't even the same aspect ratio as 70mm IMAX. But instead we have a different aspect ratio for Digital/laser IMAX, different aspect ratio for proper IMAX, and different aspect ratio for standard cinema.

Digital IMAX is basically 1080P projection on a screen that's bigger than standard cinema that actually makes it worse in information compared to even 35mm film. IMAX laser is just digital IMAX at 4K. I still sort of enjoy watching it in Digital IMAX as the aspect ratio is still superior to standard cinema but it's always at the back of my head that this is fake and not the true experience.

What IMAX corporation should do is have their digital IMAX projections do the same aspect ratio as 70mm. And also allow for a higher resolution format so that theatres that can afford it in terms of money and space are able to get it (I'd assume it's still be cheaper to setup and maintain than 70mm IMAX).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Movie was fantastic. The alternating timelines was interesting but ultimately paid off in the end.

Question thought regarding Tom Hardy,
Why didn’t he just eject over the cheering troops and board a boat with them? Why land the plane in enemy territory?

nOoblet16

Movie was fantastic. The alternating timelines was interesting but ultimately paid off in the end.

Why didn’t he just eject over the cheering troops and board a boat with them? Why land the plane in enemy territory?
Parachutes take between 500-1500ft to open (depending on make), when opening at terminal velocity. Reaching terminal velocity takes about 10 seconds of freefall (the high speed means the parachutes inflate faster), without terminal velocity it'd take longer to open. This is specifically for ram air parachutes (the rectangular ones), round parachutes that they had in WW2 would take even longer. Base jumping parachutes have special modifications to make them open in 100-200 ft but those did not exist back then and are not practical for pilots even today (it'd break their back or neck if they used it after an ejection).

He was like what? 500 ft off the ground and had he jumped he wouldn't have been able to fall fast enough to open the parachute.

Bumhead

Banned
The audio in this film is astounding. Literally every gun shot and explosion has impact. I jumped out of seat multiple times with the audio alone.

A truly gripping movie. Felt like I had goosebumps the whole time.

Also I thought the decision to barely show the Nazi's was a masterstroke. It gave them an almost supernatural quality that made them an incredibly menacing and foreboding threat. The constant anxiety of the next stalking raids by the Messerschmitt or the fear that the Nazi's may only be waiting beyond the next sand dune, added a real and palpable tension that I think even some of the very best war movies haven't done this well.

jtb

Banned
This film only captures evacuation and not the battle. It is accurate, yes.

The city was completely empty at the start of the film, however. I didn't like that.

The audio in this film is astounding. Literally every gun shot and explosion has impact. I jumped out of seat multiple times with the audio alone.

A truly gripping movie. Felt like I had goosebumps the whole time.

Also I thought the decision to barely show the Nazi's was a masterstroke. It gave them an almost supernatural quality that made them an incredibly menacing and foreboding threat. The constant anxiety of the next stalking raids by the Messerschmitt or the fear that the Nazi's may only be waiting beyond the next sand dune, added a real and palpable tension that I think even some of the very best war movies haven't done this well.

I would argue the best war films understand that what makes war so depraved and horrific goes far deeper than mere fear of death. That's not what Nolan was going for, and that's fine. I'm just not sure choosing a shallower depiction of war was such a successful decision.

Ithil

Just watched it, I thought it was fantastic. It was like the "docking" scene in Interstellar in terms of intensity and editing/score quality, but for an entire movie. I hope it wins a host of technical awards at the Oscars next year.

I wish I had an IMAX near to see it in, this would be an absolute experience.

Courage

I would argue the best war films understand that what makes war so depraved and horrific goes far deeper than mere fear of death. That's not what Nolan was going for, and that's fine. I'm just not sure choosing a shallower depiction of war was such a successful decision.

Right, I wished it leaned more into its psych thriller side, than merely flirt with it in certain scenes.

Technically impressive film through and through, but it left a lot to be desired.

Man IMAX corporation can go suck a dick with their fake ass IMAX systems being advertised as true IMAX. UK has just one actual 70mm IMAX, Printworks in Manchester has been shut down and the one in Bradford was converted to Digital IMAX in 2015. So even the cinemas are to be blamed for cheapening out. We have all these movies being shot in IMAX and yet so few screens that can actually show it.

It wouldn't be so bad if the digital IMAX were actually what they say it is i.e. the same IMAX experience but with a digital projection. But it's not, it's just slightly bigger and squarer and it isn't even the same aspect ratio as 70mm IMAX. But instead we have a different aspect ratio for Digital/laser IMAX, different aspect ratio for proper IMAX, and different aspect ratio for standard cinema.

Digital IMAX is basically 1080P projection on a screen that's bigger than standard cinema that actually makes it worse in information compared to even 35mm film. IMAX laser is just digital IMAX at 4K. I still sort of enjoy watching it in Digital IMAX as the aspect ratio is still superior to standard cinema but it's always at the back of my head that this is fake and not the true experience.

What IMAX corporation should do is have their digital IMAX projections do the same aspect ratio as 70mm. And also allow for a higher resolution format so that theatres that can afford it in terms of money and space are able to get it (I'd assume it's still be cheaper to setup and maintain than 70mm IMAX).

Yeah I wish there was a way they could make this movie format nonsense make more sense. It does suck.

By the way, laser digital IMAX was created to fill the traditional 70mm IMAX screens (xenon digital IMAX couldn't do this), but this depends on the location.

I'm lucky enough to have a laser digital IMAX theater that uses the same aspect ratio as 70mm IMAX, though, so the experience is more or less the same (well excluding resolution I guess..).

master15

I don't understand the idea that people are calling this a masterpiece and/or Nolan's best film. I couldn't disagree more. Saw it last night, thought it was good, 7.5 out of 10. Memento is Nolan's masterpiece, this doesn't come close to that.

There were some really cool shots/set pieces, but that was about it. While at times I felt tense, the scenes didn't feel like they built off of each other or gain any sort of momentum. By the end, when Nolan's exaggerated score kicked in, I wasn't invested in the story or any of the characters enough to care.

Couldn't agree more. Enjoyed it for what it was but overall thought it was relatively average on most counts.

nOoblet16

Yeah I wish there was a way they could make this movie format nonsense make more sense. It does suck.

By the way, laser digital IMAX was created to fill the traditional 70mm IMAX screens (xenon digital IMAX couldn't do this), but this depends on the location.

I'm lucky enough to have a laser digital IMAX theater that uses the same aspect ratio as 70mm IMAX, though, so the experience is more or less the same (well excluding resolution I guess..).

I suppose the digital IMAX in my city shows IMAX shots at their proper aspect ratio by having black bars to the sides. The picture appears tall and "full" (the screen itself is 1.89:1 so I guess it can show 1.43:1 if they want to, but the screen size is small as shit with only 9.7m tall).

IMAX laser might be able to fill in the full 20m tall screens or so but they'll still be no match in terms of clarity with just 4K resolution as that's less than half the apparent resolution of real 70mm IMAX (which is comparable to 12K, while 35mm is co parable to 6K).

Tbh as long as I get the full picture at the proper aspect ratio it's alright by me, I'll just sit closer to the screen and pretend it's bigger than it is.

I think it's so
he could destroy the plane rather than have it fall in enemy hands

Ashhong

Do we need spoiler tags?

I'm a little confused about Cillian Murphy. They found him on top of a plane right? But he wasn't a pilot right? We saw him in the Mole timeline pushing people away from the lifeboat (I think that was him). Did we ever see how he ends up on the plane?

Do we need spoiler tags?

I'm a little confused about Cillian Murphy. They found him on top of a plane right? But he wasn't a pilot right? We saw him in the Mole timeline pushing people away from the lifeboat (I think that was him). Did we ever see how he ends up on the plane?

That was the back end of a ship he was sitting on.

Do we need spoiler tags?

He was on a ship that was torpedoed. No we don't see him make it to said ship.

Ashhong

That was the back end of a ship he was sitting on.

Ah, thought it was a plane. Well then did we see how he ended up on that wreckage? Last I remember was him on a lifeboat. I mainly ask because he was all alone.
I'm getting he was on a destroyer that got taken out?

He was on a ship that was torpedoed. No we don't see him make it to said ship.

Was it the ship that Harry Styles was on? I only remember seeing one torpedo

Do we need spoiler tags?

He was on top of a boat, you could see the propellor sticking out the water (he also mentions it was a U Boat that took his vessel out)

You need a decent amount of height to parachute and a decent of land to safely land.

Ashhong

He was on top of a boat, you could see the propellor sticking out the water (he also mentions it was a U Boat that took his vessel out)

The propeller was why I thought it was a plane haha. I also did not know what a u boat was...

So then I guess Tom Hardy's other partner just died in the crash? They saw the plane but no chute or anything

You need a decent amount of height to parachute and a decent of land to safely land.

Why didn't he just turn a bit into the ocean or something towards the rescue boats? He wasn't a true character or anything right? Seems like he definitely had other options other than going to enemy territory. But I'll try not to think about it too much

Dr.Acula

Banned
Do we need spoiler tags?

It was a ship that got torpedoed, he mentions it to one of the boys.

What resolution is Imax 70mm?

Nevermind saw your later post. 12K? Holy shit

Dr.Acula

Banned
The propeller was why I thought it was a plane haha. I also did not know what a u boat was...

So then I guess Tom Hardy's other partner just died in the crash? They saw the plane but no chute or anything

Why didn't he just turn a bit into the ocean or something towards the rescue boats? He wasn't a true character or anything right? Seems like he definitely had other options other than going to enemy territory. But I'll try not to think about it too much

Watch "Dad Boot" if you get a chance. It's the best film about U Boats (German subs).

Seems like the one pilot died when his plane ditched, yes.

I'm guessing without power, once Hardy committed his line to shooting down the German plane at the end, he was basically forced to continue gliding on that path.

Ashhong

Watch "Dad Boot" if you get a chance. It's the best film about U Boats (German subs).

Seems like the one pilot died when his plane ditched, yes.

I'm guessing without power, once Hardy committed his line to shooting down the German plane at the end, he was basically forced to continue gliding on that path.

IIRC, while his power was out, Hardy was able to do a u-turn to hit that last guy.
But like I said, going to not think about it too much haha

IIRC, while his power was out, Hardy was able to do a u-turn to hit that last guy.
But like I said, going to not think about it too much haha

He lost quite a bit of altitude on that if I remember. Any other maneuvers might have resulted in a crash. I saw it as him either risking death in a water landing or take a safer landing at the risk of capture. Neither are very good options.

Top Bottom