• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dunkirk |OT| You can practically see it from here...home.

Fury451

Banned
Despite having sparse lines and being of short stature, Hardy has an incredible screen presence in movies. It's hard to explain.

He's able to act with his eyes, facial expressions, and very little dialogue. It's a rare talent. He's easily one of the best working today.

Question, this was my first IMAX film and the movie was so damn loud it almost was distracting and took me out of it at times. Is this normal for IMAX or is this movie in particular insanely loud?

I loved the movie, thought it was GORGEOUSLY shot but man, if movies are really that loud in an IMAX normally I don't know how people do it

Syriel

Question, this was my first IMAX film and the movie was so damn loud it almost was distracting and took me out of it at times. Is this normal for IMAX or is this movie in particular insanely loud?

I loved the movie, thought it was GORGEOUSLY shot but man, if movies are really that loud in an IMAX normally I don't know how people do it

Sounds like your theater had a crap projectionist who screwed up the sound mix.

IMAX does not mean "crazy loud" by any stretch.

I saw it at a normal theatre and it was still loud AF

Same with Interstellar. Nolan movies have huge sound design, for me it's one of the best parts about the movie. Despite not liking Dunkirk I don't regret going out to see it at all

nOoblet16

The movie often switched between the soldiers on the sinking ship at night, to the fighters and boats during the day. Didn't you notice that?

Yea I did but I just thought it was like over an evening followed by the next day, that the people get on ship in the evening, it capsized late night/just before dawn and it was leaking oil that they saw next day when the civilian boats come and then a time skip when the officers are about to leave, it's cause that damn main guy is in every one of the PoV and it's difficult to figure out what time of day it was. The day time sea scenes when Hardy isn't there should have had a bit of difference in lighting to distinguish the time from the air scenes.

Now that I think of it, it was quite difficult to follow. I didn't know air was 1 hour, sea was 1 day and mole was 1 week. Infact I barely even got the names of the characters because they mumble the names or dialogue got muffled due to audio.

Vaga

I saw it at a normal theatre and it was still loud AF

Same with Interstellar. Nolan movies have huge sound design, for me it's one of the best parts about the movie. Despite not liking Dunkirk I don't regret going out to see it at all

Interstellar's audio was much better mixed & mastered, the highs were not as piercing. With Dunkirk I felt it fucking endangered my hearing.

Now that I think of it, it was quite difficult to follow. I didn't know air was 1 hour, sea was 1 day and mole was 1 week. Infact I barely even got the names of the characters because they mumble the names or dialogue got muffled due to audio.

Yeah admittedly it took me a while to realise those times listed at the start were the duration of each story, but it kinda made sense after that.

Totakeke

The Lincoln Square 70mm Imax felt loud but also close to perfect to me. It fact I think War of the Planet of the Apes at the Dolby Theater was noticeably louder than Dunkirk.

nOoblet16

Despite having sparse lines and being of short stature, Hardy has an incredible screen presence in movies. It's hard to explain.

We barely even see his full face, most of the time it's just his eyes. Even in Mad Max he spends half the movie with a thing covering half his face. Same in The Dark Knight Rises.

He's done 3 movies so far where he emotes with his eyes and in 2 of them he barely even speaks.

Arnie

Thought the same, just came out of a screening at BFI IMAX. My girlfriend spent a lot of the film with her fingers near her ears. The gunshots in the opening sequences and the sound of the planes in particular felt deafening.

That was really enjoyable and easily Nolan's best film so far; it had all the stuff I like in Nolan's films and very little of the stuff I can't stand (though some of it still existed). I've always enjoyed Nolan's playful use of time in his movies, and this continues it. This is also the first Nolan movie since... I dunno, The Prestige, that I feel didn't condescend to me as an audience member (Interstellar or Inception might be the worst of this). Also, my theater's sound was at a normal volume and not amped up to add a fake level of immersion. I got a hot take coming up, but I do want to say briefly that anyone who parrots the marketing line of "it's not a war film" is just bonkers.

Hot take alert:

I hated the music. It is overpowering and distracting with its literal "ticking clock". If Zimmer scored Psycho today, he'd have the sound of someone literally being stabbed incorporated into a bombastic piece that leaves no room for ambiguity or interpretation by the viewer. I'd love to see the film again if I could do so without much of the music.

End hot take.

Dopus

Banned
I'm not so fond of the ending, in particular, the use of Elgar's Nimrod and how the French were dealt with. It felt a little off and a tad patriotic for my liking.

In any case, everything was finely crafted and certainly up there with Nolan's best work. The timelines spliced together worked out rather well.

Ah ok, it was fucking deafening, to the point my ears were ringing when I left the theater. It was absurd

That sounds way too loud. In my theatre, the loudest sounds were when the planes were flying close to the sea and despite being the loudest movie I've seen in a theatre, it wasn't so crazy as to prompt me to try and muffle the sound while watching it.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management

Yes. I've seen 3 or 4 IMAX movies and all of them have the audio up to 11 for no good reason. I actively avoid them now. I saw Dunkirk in a regular theater and it was loud when it needed to be loud but never uncomfortable. No trouble understanding dialogue either which is another common complaint.

I think it's Hardy's face & expression that makes him stand-out. He's a very notable actor because of it.

Hardy also had a decent amount of dialogue in Fury Road, so I think his actual lack of dialogue in that film is overstated a wee bit, mind you.

jesu

Posted this in the wrong thread....

Seen it today, it was ace.
Very intense from start to finish.
That part where the music ramped up...everyone was near in tears.
the little boats coming

edit, just reading Dunkirk was 1940
Amazing that the allies recovered from that to go on and win.
I need to read more now.

DMczaf

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...pher-nolan-dunkirk-oscars-20170723-story.html

Nolan’s latest film, the war movie “Dunkirk,” opened this weekend to rapturous reviews and a better-than-expected box office take of $50.5 million. The eagerness to see “Dunkirk” extended to Oscar voters, who packed the film academy’s 1,000-seat Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills on Saturday night looking to see if the picture, presented in glorious 70mm, lived up to the hype.

Even considering that at this time of year academy members can bring up to three guests to screenings, the early evening line snaking blocks around the Goldwyn indicated a high level of anticipation. The turn-away crowd for the 7:30 p.m. show resulted in the academy adding a second presentation at 10 p.m.

When “Dunkirk” ended and the credits rolled, Nolan’s name elicited a roar of approval and the majority of the audience — perhaps unaccustomed to a Nolan movie running under two hours — stayed in their seats until the lights came up.

Afterward, academy members — those able to articulate their thoughts after the grueling film — expressed admiration, calling it a “tour de force,” “gut-wrenching,“ “astonishing,” “extraordinary” and, yes, a “masterpiece.” Cinematographer Hoyte van Hoytema (BAFTA-nominated for “Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy” and “Interstellar,” but still looking for his first Oscar nod), composer Hans Zimmer and the film’s sound design team were singled out.

http://www.thewrap.com/dunkirk-and-detroit-deliver-oscar-season-a-month-early/

In addition to its theatrical release, “Dunkirk” had its official Academy voters screening on Saturday night in Beverly Hills. To all reports it drew a completely packed and raptly attentive house to the 1,000-seat Samuel Goldwyn Theater, and when it ended the film was met with sustained applause that lasted through much of the credits.

NOLANNNNNNNNNN!

Dopus

Banned
Posted this in the wrong thread....

Seen it today, it was ace.
Very intense from start to finish.
That part where the music ramped up...everyone was near in tears.
the little boats coming

edit, just reading Dunkirk was 1940
Amazing that the allies recovered from that to go on and win.
I need to read more now.

Read up on the Battle of Britain. This started just 4 weeks after the Battle of Dunkirk.

jtb

Banned
What was the last summer film to win Best Picture? The Hurt Locker?

Academy voters have incredibly short attention spans. Hard to see it having any staying power for that reason alone.

jesu

Read up on the Battle of Britain. This started just 4 weeks after the Battle of Dunkirk.

Thanks, reading the wik page now.

I thought I knew a bit about the Battle Of Britain, but again I never knew it was so early in the war.
So proud now how those brave people defended us.
I'd have been useless in a war.

Man IMAX corporation can go suck a dick with their fake ass IMAX systems being advertised as true IMAX. UK has just one actual 70mm IMAX, Printworks in Manchester has been shut down and the one in Bradford was converted to Digital IMAX in 2015.

Not sure if anyone has noted this but the IMAX cinema in Manchester Printworks has just reopened as a VUE, I saw the 70mm version there today.

jesu

I loved that too. That's Nolan's uncle Jonathan Nolan as that dude.

I also love that the other dude didn't stay awake to tell Harry Styles he was blind after he was like "He couldn't even look us in the eyes." I'd normally expect a head shake or a "He's blind you daft fool" but just got nothing but sleep.

Harry stole his pillow didn't he? dick

CDV13

Just got back from the theater. Loved it.

Did anyone notice the scenes not in full resolution in IMAX? Not sure if intentional or just some scenes couldn't be/weren't filmed that way.

Just got burnt ask from the theater. Loved it.

Did anyone notice the scenes not in full resolution in IMAX? Not sure if intentional or just some scenes couldn't be/weren't filmed that way.
Only 75% was in IMAX. You can't really film scenes with dialogue because the cameras are too loud according to Nolan

rucury

Banned
I am a huge Nolan fan. I found this movie quite boring... Watched it on 70mm IMAX and the best part were the beautiful landscape shots. Everything else, very meh. Did not get the tension people keep talking about. Cannot relate to the hype. Sad!

Just got back from the theater. Loved it.

I noticed. Usually for dialogue sequences, there were black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. Not too bad, I think.

partime

Anyone watched Interstellar or Dark Knight Rises on IMAX 70mm? How was the experience?

I heard both films were shot with at least an hour of IMAX cameras.

In Interstellar, it was quite annoying when very slow sections of the film where captured with IMAX, like the clasping of the arms that were not aligned,

then again, seeing that gigantic wave and at the bottom the little ship was quite horrifying.

Jimrpg

Hot take alert:

I hated the music. It is overpowering and distracting with its literal "ticking clock". If Zimmer scored Psycho today, he'd have the sound of someone literally being stabbed incorporated into a bombastic piece that leaves no room for ambiguity or interpretation by the viewer. I'd love to see the film again if I could do so without much of the music.

End hot take.

It's not a hot take.

It was like listening to a three year old playing randomly on the piano with the volume turned up to 15.

Anyone watched Interstellar or Dark Knight Rises on IMAX 70mm? How was the experience?

I heard both films were shot with at least an hour of IMAX cameras.
I've seen both those and this in IMAX 70mm. This one has so much more IMAX footage compared to those two, or at least that's how it felt.

In all three cases, seeing it in a huge IMAX theater and have the movie stretch so high up and down is awesome. Best way to see those films bar none.

I've seen both those and this in IMAX 70mm. This one has so much more IMAX footage compared to those two, or at least that's how it felt.

In all three cases, seeing it in a huge IMAX theater and have the movie stretch so high up and down is awesome. Best way to see those films bar none.

Have you watched Dunkirk in both IMAX 70mm and other formats? I wonder if any of you can share your experiences and differences in various formats.

What differences did you notice in sound?
Compared to a regular theater or to Dunkirk?

All of them have really booming sound that you could feel. I actually felt like the bass was going through me at points of Dunkirk which I didn't remember in the other two but I'm sure was there at moments of Interstellar and TDKR. Just maybe more immediate in Dunkirk.

Our Indy IMAX downtown now has nicer seats so that was the biggest difference I noted between my previous showings and this one.

I can't compare theater experiences with a regular theater because I only ever saw them in IMAX. I did see TDKR at a "normal" IMAX and the big one was a much more powerful experience.

Have you watched Dunkirk in both IMAX 70mm and other formats? I wonder if any of you can share your experiences and differences in various formats.
Oh no I have not. I've only seen it the one time in IMAX 70mm. Why bother with a lesser version when the one I want is so close and relatively affordable?

Neonep

This shit is slightly overrated. Solid movie, 8/10 but it ain't this special unicorn of a movie. It was kinda slow.

FTF

The Lincoln Square 70mm Imax felt loud but also close to perfect to me. It fact I think War of the Planet of the Apes at the Dolby Theater was noticeably louder than Dunkirk.

Saw Dunkirk Sat night 70mm IMAX at Lincoln Square and it was the loudest movie I've ever seen/heard in my life. Borderline too loud, but perhaps just a tad under that. I don't remember any other IMAX movie there (or anywhere) sounding that loud. The music was great though and the plane sounds were insanely awesome.

He, Denzel, and Mads are the three actors I can watch in anything. Taboo was great for the grimy Victorian setting and the intrigue and whatnot. but Hardy doing his "grizzled badass who says more with his actions than his words", like in Mad Max and Revenant, is magnetic

Top Bottom