• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light: Enhanced Edition Goes Gold, New Trailer

I think all of that was included with the Ultimate Survivor DLC.

Interesting that Gamestop has exclusive DLC, I hope they patch them in for everyone later.

Yeah, you're right. Just checked my Xbox install and Ultimate Survivor lists all seven items.

Any idea how big is The Following in gameplay terms? And the rest of the DLC??

Worth buying the EE for someone who already played the base game?

ryseing

The Following is apparently the same size as the base game. The rest of the DLC is fairly worthless.

Do you still own the vanilla? Just get the expansion when it launches.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

If you already have the base game, just buy the season pass and it will updated with all of the enhanced edition stuff.

Also, The Following Map is larger than the map of the base game, and the gameplay hours are said to be comparable when looking at new missions. When you include legend levels and new difficulty, The Following will provide many many hours of gameplay if the devs are to be believed. (No reason why they would not IMO)

Also, again, anyone know about lightening in this game? Odd question I know.

BigTnaples

Yes, there is lightening sometimes. Mostly at night.

Nice. With actual lighting effects? Thinking S.T.A.L.K.E.R. like. I want to see flashed of zombie silhouettes and shadows.
2435005-4949825958-xreng.gif

tumblr_mjeum9KOBu1qba4ipo2_500.gif

d3vnull

So... would you recommend this game to someone who stopped playing Dead Island halfway through because the combat got too repetitive?

Thanks guys. I cant get the season pass or the expansion by itself, I played the base game on a console that I no longer have and was thinking of getting this on the PC. Was just wondering if the new stuff was worth the price of admission.

Also wondering how much of a slog will the story be to redo. I liked the game well enough but I dont wanna replay the entire campaign (which was pretty big) just to get to the DLC or level up. I might just use a trainer or something to put myself to end game level and bum rush the base game storyline and then do the DLC proper.

Akronis

Nice. With actual lighting effects? Thinking S.T.A.L.K.E.R. like. I want to see flashed of zombie silhouettes and shadows.
2435005-4949825958-xreng.gif

I don't think it's quite at the level of STALKERs dynamic lighting, but it's there.

It's safe to say, no game will probably ever come close to how amazing STALKER's atmosphere was.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So... would you recommend this game to someone who stopped playing Dead Island halfway through because the combat got too repetitive?

I hated Dead Island (stopped after thirty minutes or so) but Dying Light was one of my GOTYs. It is an amazing experience.

The combat is simplified from Dead Island but traversal and survival is the main element of the game.

ryseing

Thanks guys. I cant get the season pass or the expansion by itself, I played the base game on a console that I no longer have and was thinking of getting this on the PC. Was just wondering if the new stuff was worth the price of admission.

Also wondering how much of a slog will the story be to redo. I liked the game well enough but I dont wanna replay the entire campaign (which was pretty big) just to get to the DLC or level up. I might just use a trainer or something to put myself to end game level and bum rush the base game storyline and then do the DLC proper.

Oh God, I just realized I'm going to have the same problem (lost my save when my PS4 was stolen).

Hopefully Techland offers an option to just access The Following right away.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I'm thinking of buying this game and playing nightmare mode immediately, but I'm worried that the controls are not good enough to support a meticulous survival play style. Can someone tell me if this is a good idea? Also, is the combat closer to M&MX where you use a lot debuffs etc or more like Lords of Xulima where it's more about turn order and prevention?

BigTnaples

I don't think it's quite at the level of STALKERs dynamic lighting, but it's there.

It's safe to say, no game will probably ever come close to how amazing STALKER's atmosphere was.

Yeah, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is hard to beat, but just playing the Dying Light demo and seeing the dark nights and fire induced zombie silhouettes made me crave a lightening storm. Thanks.

Also, is the combat closer to M&MX where you use a lot debuffs etc or more like Lords of Xulima where it's more about turn order and prevention?

Are you speaking another language?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
If anyone buys the season pass, hit me up on pm or psn so we can get a group together to run god-awful bozak...

sensui-tomo

So i just bought this game yesterday, game feels like a better version of zombi-u so i'm having a blast, gonna get the $20 season pass later today from amazon and be ready for the expansion to come out. (playing on ps4)

Yeah, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is hard to beat, but just playing the Dying Light demo and seeing the dark nights and fire induced zombie silhouettes made me crave a lightening storm. Thanks.

Im almost positive one part of the story has a lightening storm, its been a while since I played through it though. I dont think it happens naturally while just wandering around in free roam though.

BigTnaples

Im almost positive one part of the story has a lightening storm, its been a while since I played through it though. I dont think it happens naturally while just wandering around in free roam though.

Gotcha. I was wondering why I couldn't find videos of any lightening storms on youtube.

I feel like this is something that would have been in the Enhanced Edition unless there is a reason they are keeping it out, like an engine limitation of some sort.

SomTervo

I could be wrong, but I think the expansion takes place alongside the main Singleplayer story - in parallel with it. I think you'll be able to go to the expansion at any time in the main story after the scripted introduction chapter. I don't think you'll have to finish the story to play The Following.

So i just bought this game yesterday, game feels like a better version of zombi-u so i'm having a blast, gonna get the $20 season pass later today from amazon and be ready for the expansion to come out. (playing on ps4)

Enjoy. Bump it to Hard mode for a better experience imo. It's amazing. And only play singleplayer imo.

100%.

I played Dead Island for an hour and hated it, agreed with Edge Magazine's 3 or 4 out of 10.

Was tentatively interested in Dying Light, then on release I watched a stream and it looks amazing (specifically the night time survival horror aspect) so I bought it and it's a solid 9/10 from me, in some ways 10/10.

Even if you just want an open world Mirror's Edge experience, before Mirror's Edge 2, this will do the trick. It is bloody amazing. Play it on Hard, btw.

(As an aside, I got Dead Island free on Games with Gold a few years back and, in the run up to Dying Light, I played it again with zero-expectations and as a singleplayer-only experience. Once you push past the initial area, Dead Island actually gets pretty good as a singleplayer zombie adventure.

But it's still janky as fuck and the encounter design is broadly awful.)

Planet

And I advice to play the game in a party, preferably a fixed group where you progress together. That way made the game a ton of fun for me, my personal #1 GOTY.

CryptiK

Ugh... Graphics card died and I wont have it in time for release so mad. Wheres the cheapest place to buy the season pass?

BigTnaples

I see several people saying they absolutely hated Dead Island but Dying Light is their GOTY....

This is confusing to me. I mean, I understand liking one much more then the other, but HATING one and the other being one of your all time favorite games seems like a stretch.

I mean, I have admittedly only played the demo for Dying Light thus far (several times), but I just booted up Dead Island just to refresh my memory, and it is VERY similar.

I mean, the way weapons work, attacks, slow mo deaths, looting, flashlights, basic art style, etc etc is all extremely similar, although its obviously improved in Dying Light, and Dying Light has parkour.

So I guess I just fail to understand this, but it seems to be an opinion quite a few people hold...

SomTervo

And I advice to play the game in a party, preferably a fixed group where you progress together. That way made the game a ton of fun for me, my personal #1 GOTY.

See, I advise to play the game 100% singleplayer and get immersed in the atmosphere. When I played in a party it became a big, ridiculous action fest that had very little tension or challenge. Singleplayer it was like an awesome zombie-survival version of Fallout with brilliant free running. Especially on Hard where you had to properly scavenge.

I see several people saying they absolutely hated Dead Island but Dying Light is their GOTY....

This is confusing to me. I mean, I understand liking one much more then the other, but HATING one and the other being one of your all time favorite games seems like a stretch.

I mean, I have admittedly only played the demo for Dying Light thus far (several times), but I just booted up Dead Island just to refresh my memory, and it is VERY similar.

I mean, the way weapons work, attacks, slow mo deaths, looting, flashlights, basic art style, etc etc is all extremely similar, although its obviously improved in Dying Light, and Dying Light has parkour.

So I guess I just fail to understand this, but it seems to be an opinion quite a few people hold...
I finished Dead Island on X360 with a friend (co op all the way through).
It was a buggy, glitchy, cheesy mess. Great idea, but a very flawed execution.

Dying Light on the other hand... is amazing.
Playing it on PC (what a difference! :eek: ) with 3 friends of mine, we're near the end.
Parkour movement is great, melee is best in class, IMHO and game is just fun to play in a huge open world. Although it draws inspiration and core elements from Dead Island, execution is several orders of magnitude above and that's why I see people seeing this as GOTY compared to Dead Island.

The freedom of traversing with the freerunning skills in the city and how the night/day cycle works with their own dangers is a huge part of the game. The demo isn't going to really give you a proper idea of just how important that stuff is until you're forced to become proficient with those skills and familiar with those locales. Dead Island is a decent co-op loot-combat game, but it's very slow and boring by comparison to DL, and yes, it is especially similar at the outset. I was bored of DI after about six hours, but DL held me for over fifty until the end even despite how quickly the stupid-as-fuck story and main campaign you're forced to go through drags the positive side of the game down and that's easily the worst part of the game. Almost everything else is just so good and nearly all of the side shit and just surviving on the hardest difficulty with a good group is, IMO, easily some of the best action gaming this gen and far beyond the limited experience of DI. My only complaint about the game aside from the many standard-feeling campaign missions seeming to go completely against the best part of the game, which is how you're free to tackle the side stuff and just become better at surviving, is how you'll likely be a bit overpowered by the last leg of the game, making skill and abilities seem less valuable by game's end. The new legendary enemies and higher difficulty in addition to the new DLC campaign look like they'll address that. Totally looking forward to The Following.

SomTervo

There are a few things to it. If you've only played the Dying Light demo, you'll have a very limited perspective on how even small improvements in Dying Light had a huge impact.

1. Dead Island is almost totally non-dynamic. The zombies appear in literally the same places every time you pass through an area, with very minor, occasional variations. They have generally crap-O AI.

By contrast, even if zombies often spawn in the same places in Dying Light, they are far more mobile and have better AI, so they often spread in big groups. On top of that, the mobs spawn randomly and at different times of day, so sometimes a street will be empty, other times it will be heaving.

2. Dead Island has serviceable close combat, but it's infinitely more wooden and feels 'janky' as a result. The zombies have half as many animations as they do in Dying Light, and worse than that, they only have basic ragdolls and non-dynamic get-up animations. In Dying Light, there are far more reaction animations, so they react to strikes far more believably and quickly - immediately improving the combat tenfold. It's really satisfying striking a zombie, and knocking a zombie over results in well-handled dynamic animations where they fall and try to get up and react better to dismemberment. They stumble more and climb more and are more dynamic.

On top of that, the player has three times more combat moves, including grappling/throwing zombies, slide-kicking zombies, drop-kicking zombies, camouflaging yourself as a zombie, stealth-killing zombies, etc. And the environment is now littered with zombie-killing objects, so you can spend lots of time doing things like chucking zombies onto spikes :p

Then you've got the climbing - you might not have played Dying Light enough - but in Dying Light a handful of zombie types can chase you across rooftops and climb after you. So when it's getting dark and you're under pressure, you might accidentally blow something up, and hear screams in the distance as they come for you. This leads to awesome rooftop fights and cool, dynamic combat situations.

Humans also have way more combat animations, and they are fucking deadly, so getting in combat with humans in Dying Light is very dangerous and intense. They react to zombies, so you can run into a group of humans, fire a gunshot, then leg it to a rooftop. The humans can't follow you - but the zombies attracted by sound will go to where you fired the gun and take care of the humans for you :p perfect sandbox gameplay.

3. Free running. By itself it's a minor thing, which you mentioned, but some later quests make fucking amazing use of the free running mechanic and the game dynamically reacts to your free running, too.

For instance, there's a side quest where you have to enter a building by the rooftop (and the game doesn't make this explicit). When you realise the hatch is on the roof, you have to emergently work out how to get up there, and it leads to an amazing Mirror's Edge-beating parkour-puzzle where you have to work out how to get above it and drop down. One of the most memorable quests I've ever played in an open world game because the free running mechanic was so perfectly used. Compare that to every Dead Island quest where you simply drive to a location, kill some zombies/people, call it a day.

Dying Light also has a really well designed randomised objective system for 'emergency drops'. Unfortunately little else in the game is randomised - but these are great. When 'supply drops' land, they do so in a random selection of places. If you get to them in time (good free running), you collect everything in them. If you take too long, goons/thugs will be there, and you'll have to fight them off to get the items. (And fighting humans is very hard/dangerous in the early game, so you'll burn through medkits on Hard doing so.)

Also, for the record, there is not one other FPS game which has an open world and a free running/climbing mechanic, with the ground-level detail of Half Life 2 or another good FPS. That alone is a unique thing which bumps it several tiers above Dead Island. Even if you hate the combat you can play and enjoy Dying Light for this alone.

4. Dying Light has a structure which provides gameplay experiences Dead Island categorically does not have.
- the day/night cycle in Dying Light (which you won't see in the demo, only activated after 2 hours or so) turns night times into survival horror. There are super-powerful, near-invincible zombies prowling around, who can kill you in 2-3 hits. They can free run just as well/better than you, so if you're spotted you have to fucking run. They have vision cones on your minimap and Far Cry style 'being spotted' graphics, so you can use legit stealth to evade them. (I've had times where I was almost spotted, and crouched behind a car, and had proper hollywood-movie style moments where it was right above me breathing heavily looking about while I hid, quivering, beneath one). At night time, safe houses are the only place they can't get, so often you have to dynamically run away to a safe house (Dead Island had rubbish safe houses IIRC)
- in Dead Island, if you made a loud noise, zombies would shuffle over to you. In Dying Light, if you make a noise (easy to do by accident as well as intentionally), recently-infected people will burst out of nearby windows and come sprinting at you, including on to rooftops and into buildings. You can hide from them, or fight them, or run from them. Often a series of dynamic events will chain more and more of them onto your tail, until you free run to a safe house.

5.In DL zombies collide with each other, with a pretty consistent physcs = alot of micro-shades of gameplay, especially in melee and crowd control

TL;DR: You can't judge at all until you play the full version of Dying Light a bit more :p

Sorry for the essay. Hope this clarifies things for you!

SomTervo

Hmm, dying light always seemed cool. Did it really sell enough to warrant a follow up release and an expansion?

It was a great success. It made millions. (Yes.)

Because it is fucking excellent. I rate it up there with Bloodborne and MGSV.

P.S. nice Saga avvy

I'm currently playing through the vanilla version, figured once the update arrives I'd just download it and experience the benefits midway through my play through, then go on to DLC if I still have it in me. Game isn't quite wowing me but the traversal is keeping things relatively fresh still. I;m not into the "survival" aspects though, so hoping the game doesn't force me into those situations.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I hated Dead Island (stopped after thirty minutes or so) but Dying Light was one of my GOTYs. It is an amazing experience.

The combat is simplified from Dead Island but traversal and survival is the main element of the game.

Same here. I played it in the PSNow beta, and stopped after 30 minutes as well.

Looking forward to this, especially since a buddy just picked it up.

e90Mark

Agreed. I played with two other buddies and it was the one of the most fun gaming experiences I've ever had. I think one session we played for like 12 hours straight, lol.
Hm, the Enhanced Edition features will be available as free patch, right?

Yes.

It's just the actually DLC, The Following, that will cost money.

Speaking of, is the other DLC not worth getting? I own the vanilla version on Steam and am wondering if the extra $10 is worth it for the other small packs.

Planet

Speaking of, is the other DLC not worth getting?
Honestly? Not really. One is a pack of items (blueprints and outfits), not worth much. One is two extra quaratine zones, you can hardly tell the difference to the regular ones, and they are cleared in very few minutes.

The last one, Bozak Horde, is somewhat decent. It offers a series of 20 challenges with restrictions on time and equipment. In the end, you will be rewarded with a bow and (if you manage to beat the goal) explosive arrows. I myself did not play it yet, because I have somehow lost my crew to other games and real life. But I am getting more and more eager to jump back in and close that gap.

But with The Following you will be getting a crossbow, which should be just as impressive and useful, and I bet you can get the same ammo types. All in all the season pass was very meager until they announced to make it super awesome. :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Great game that I really enjoyed my time with! Definitely recommend it to anyone into zombie murder, parkour, and especially both.

edit: Also, if the playstyle interests you, I completed the game (and many side quests/challenges) without ever crafting a melee weapon.

Started my New Game+ on Hard today in anticipation for this.

Like Diablo, this is one of those games that I have no plan to sell/trade, due to the incredible support the devs are giving it.

DirtyLarry

Just wanted to chime in...
Same here. Dead Island never clicked for me.
Dying Light was also up there for one of my GOTY of last year. Felt it was criminally overlooked on the awards front actually, which I thought was going to happen because it released so early in 2015.
Really just the most fun I have had with a game in years.

SomTervo

Dying Light was also up there for one of my GOTY of last year. Felt it was criminally overlooked on the awards front actually, which I thought was going to happen because it released so early in 2015.
Really just the most fun I have had with a game in years.

Word.

Word.

Word.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Honestly? Not really. One is a pack of items (blueprints and outfits), not worth much. One is two extra quaratine zones, you can hardly tell the difference to the regular ones, and they are cleared in very few minutes.

The last one, Bozak Horde, is somewhat decent. It offers a series of 20 challenges with restrictions on time and equipment. In the end, you will be rewarded with a bow and (if you manage to beat the goal) explosive arrows. I myself did not play it yet, because I have somehow lost my crew to other games and real life. But I am getting more and more eager to jump back in and close that gap.

But with The Following you will be getting a crossbow, which should be just as impressive and useful, and I bet you can get the same ammo types. All in all the season pass was very meager until they announced to make it super awesome. :D
Bozak Horde is the worst fucking DLC ever fucking conceived. Fucking ever.

They advertise a season pass by dangling a cool weapon weapon out there, get people to buy the DLC before they know what it is, and then hide it behind a fucking timed gauntlet that cannot be completed single player unless you spend hours on trial and error having to replay the same annoying shit over and over, or break down and watch 20 min walkthroughs so you can memorize the waves. And one mistake can fuck your run. And it all takes place in a tiny-ass area.

Honestly if not for The Following these guys would be in the running for most obnoxious, slimiest season pass ever. Bozak was a fucking scam.

I am looking forward to The Following. Spent plenty of hours just soaking in the music and the world of Dying Light.

I just really hope that the new map isn't just filled with zombies and that there are things for us to do. When they said that it's going to be as big as the vanilla game, I was happy but what happens with other games is that it's a big map with nothing to do or see. So far from what I've seen, it just looks big to accommodate for the vehicle addon.

@BigTnaples, I liked all three games. Dead Island, Riptide, and Dying Light.

The differences to me are:

Combat - I really liked the analogue combat system. But it was designed in a way that made the Dead Island games feel too clunky. Was I glad that it was removed in Dying Light? No, not really. I actually wanted them to improve upon it and to find out that it was removed bummed me out. slight advantage Dead Island series

Movement - I understand that they are both different zombie action games but Dying Light just blows Dead Island's movement system away. The parkour system is just way too useful for the way Dying Light works. Dead Island sort of works because they never really said that Dead Island was going to be all about movement that much. huge advantage Dying Light

Environments - I gotta admit.... I enjoy all three games' environments. But I really do like the tropical island environments because we don't really get zombie media with a tropical setting. The same applies to Dying Lights environments too but zombie media has alot of urban environments which is boring imo. slight advantage Dead Island series

Weapons - The bad thing is that bladed weapons are always the strongest weapons end-game and that is boring. I'm glad that Dying Light tried to remedy it with an update though. The slight edge I would give it to would be the Dead Island games because they did based the games around weapon customization and variety. Polearms, fist weapons, gun mods, blunt weapons. But that was remedied with Riptide and now Dead Island 2 based on the previews. slight advantage Dead Island series

It may seem like I liked Dead Island more but Dying Light just blows it away in almost every possible way. Better enemy variety, parkour system, not as many bugs and glitches, near flawless performance on PS4, a better but still lacking story, atmosphere, sounds, and a.i. patterns. It's the eventual evolution to the Dead Island series but if they ventured off into a spinoff series. Dead Island 2 seems to be the correct evolution to the series based on the way the Dead Island series was going; crazy weapons, crazy customizations, wacky and fun moments.

CryptiK

I really hope they still have very urban towns, I still want to be able to parkour everywhere. Please don't Batman this game.

e90Mark

Awesome, thanks guys. Sounds like the other DLC might be worth checking out during a Steam sale.

I didn't bother when I bought vanilla, because I was not sure if I was going to like the game overall and wanted less stuff to have to refund lol.

Top Bottom