• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light: Enhanced Edition Goes Gold, New Trailer

Pretty hyped for this originally only had 1 friend to play this with but now that it has been out for a while i'll have a fully party of 4 to roam around with.

Does the game have NewGame+, or do you have to restart everything if you want change difficulty and//or get better loot.

It does have a New game+ mode

KiteGr

Show me the male zombies in speedos and I'll excuse the female zombies in bikinis.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game. It's on my GOTY list, I just won't support a rerelease with new graphics that doesn't fix a problem I had with the game. If the protagonist was player choice on male or female then I could excuse stuff like that outright. But I'm no longer buying new IPs or series with new protagonists every iteration that don't let you choose your gender and I will not support games that don't respect women either.

You're gona get shitstormed...
But regardless, I'm all in for sexual equality in games.

The problem is a similar one with the depiction of black protagonists in American movies (or lack there off). They are trying to appeal to the broadest demographic which in the majority of sivilized world (or at least where they can affort to see movies legally) are whites, thus most action flicks have white protagonists.
A similar problem exist with Female characters in videogames. The average gamer is considered male, and the female gamers don't always openly admit it or just play casual crap, so when a designer (who's also likelly male) is building the game, he has that audience in mind, so it makes sence to build the game from a male's point of view, and have female characters be little more than eye-candy. Also complaining about female videogame characters for being skimpy and oversexualised, is like complaining about the human rights of Oliver Twist.

All is not all bad though. In recent years, female gamers have become much more relevant, and a change is already visible. Most western RPGs give an option for an equally strong-looking female protagonist, and some developers like Dontnod Entertainment are taking chances on that. Afterall, bald muscular space marines have practically become a game joke by now.
The change is happening, but don't expect it to be instant. Developers are still in majority male, and when they attempy a female friendly game, it's usually their definition of what women want, while at the same time trying not to alienate their male audience.

Just enjoy the game and support the industry.

Planet

The PS4 version got that visual upgrade last year and from what I heard the difference is significant. I hope Xbox One will get that too.
The PS4 version originally had no anisotropic filtering and thus actually looked way worse than the Xbox One version in some aspects. The patch came a while after release and raised the bar to around 8X AF on the textures that needed it, without performance hit, everything was fine then. The Xbox didn't need a patch for that in the first place.

I am really curious about the inevitable Digital Foundry video for the Enhanced Edition. But I don't expect much in graphical quality on the consoles, let alone 60 FPS. A tiny bit more stable 30 (which already was pretty solid) and better rendering distance is just fine for the expansion, alongside the gameplay improvements and the new campaign.

Smokey

See my post towards the top of the page (assuming 50ppp). I'd link to it myself but I'm on my phone.

Right

So I don't own DL period. I have to buy the base game on Steam ($60) and then buy the expansion pack separate or season pass for all of the content? This is essentially the Enchanced Edition... But I have to pay more than $60 compared to other platforms?

Do I have this right?

Right

So I don't own DL period. I have to buy the base game on Steam ($60) and then buy the expansion pack separate or season pass for all of the content? This is essentially the Enchanced Edition... But I have to pay more than $60 compared to other platforms?

Do I have this right?

I would assume they'll release "Dying Light: The Following Enhanced Edition" on PC for $59.99 just like their doing on consoles which includes the base game, all DLC, and all updates as one package.

I would definitely wait before spending $90 on the current options on Steam.

Edit: Or they could make the base game $29.99 once The Following DLC hits. In any case, I would be shocked if there was not a way for a newcomer to the game on PC to not be able to pick up the whole package for $59.99

anx10us

Banned
Help me out here, uk based and i can't figure out where or how to buy on the PS4 ?

Game, amazon etc don't seem to have the "Dying Light : Enhanced Edition" listed ? What have I missed here ?

Or should I just pickup a copy of dying light (£18) and buy the season pass (£15) ? giving me the full package ?

thanks

Help me out here, uk based and i can't figure out where or how to buy on the PS4 ?

Game, amazon etc don't seem to have the "Dying Light : Enhanced Edition" listed ? What have I missed here ?

Or should I just pickup a copy of dying light (£18) and buy the season pass (£15) ? giving me the full package ?

thanks
I would wait if I were you. It should show up eventually.

Banned
Normally I don't like first person point of views except for shooters and Metroid, but this video has convinced me.

jond76

Banned
The PS4 version originally had no anisotropic filtering and thus actually looked way worse than the Xbox One version in some aspects. The patch came a while after release and raised the bar to around 8X AF on the textures that needed it, without performance hit, everything was fine then. The Xbox didn't need a patch for that in the first place.

I am really curious about the inevitable Digital Foundry video for the Enhanced Edition. But I don't expect much in graphical quality on the consoles, let alone 60 FPS. A tiny bit more stable 30 (which already was pretty solid) and better rendering distance is just fine for the expansion, alongside the gameplay improvements and the new campaign.

One thing I remember that was missing from consoles was dynamic lighting from barrel fires and burning cars. I'm really curious to see what they have planned. If it's nothing significant, then why advertise it?

ryseing

Mirror's Edge is the best parkour game ever made. Dying Light comes second. =D

That's the other contender but I preferred DL for a number of reasons. The gadgets add a new dimension and DL is a lot easier to control once you progress and aren't as weak.

Dying Light: Men in Speedos. Make it happen Techland. :p

thanks

I wouldn't wait to pay more unless the DLC is on disc and that's important to you. I just recently bought it for $25 + $20 too.

Planet

If it's nothing significant, then why advertise it?
Check the official list again:
  • Legend System
  • Nightmare Difficulty
  • Bounties System
  • New Parkour Moves
  • New Enemy Attacks & Behaviors
  • #DrinkForDLC Content
  • New NPC Models
  • Enhanced Facial Expressions
  • Improved Human Enemy AI
  • Improved Volatile AI
  • Greater Firearm Variety
  • HUD and Video Filter Customizations
  • Audio Upgrades
  • Gameplay Quality Improvements
  • Console Performance Upgrades
  • Overall Game Look and Feel Improvements
The performance is quite far down the list and it mainly focusses on the gameplay aspects. My guess is it will be rock solid 30 FPS in the city to make The Following even possible due to the open area and fast driving.

Shredderi

Mirror's Edge is the best parkour game ever made. Dying Light comes second. =D

I actually thought that even as a parkour game DL was better than ME. It was just way more fun to navigate. Needless to say I'm excited about ME2. No developer missed the success of DL and people doing free running knows that they gotta up their game so I wanna see what ME2 has in store for us in terms of moment-to-moment jumping and running.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Right

Do I have this right?

Just wait for the Enhanced Edition package to show up on the store.

omonimo

Banned

I'm not sure to understand why they should promote this version with various improvement graphic if they are just tiny. If they are talking only of the PC version probably they would been clear from the beginning.

ryseing

The changes sound amazing, but I still have no idea if there will be a new physical ps4 release.

That's the Enhanced Edition. One package with everything included for $60.

Techland hasn't been great with their messaging so it's understandable.

Planet

I'm not sure to understand why they should promote this version with various improvement graphic if they are just tiny. If they are talking only of the PC version probably they would been clear from the beginning.
The list is clear enough and has very few graphical improvements mentioned.

New NPC Models and Enhanced Facial Expressions - seem to be related. Can't say yet how much has changed, but should be the same on PC and consoles.

Console Performance Upgrades - always nice to have, but it doesn't clearly read like "double the frame rate" to me.

HUD and Video Filter Customizations and Overall Game Look and Feel Improvements - whatever that means, your guess is as good as mine.

As to "why promote" - well, to sell, of course! And rightfully so. Name any "GOTY Edition" which features similar impressive improvement lists. But maybe let's wait for the final product, it is just around the corner.

Show me the male zombies in speedos and I'll excuse the female zombies in bikinis.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game. It's on my GOTY list, I just won't support a rerelease with new graphics that doesn't fix a problem I had with the game. If the protagonist was player choice on male or female then I could excuse stuff like that outright. But I'm no longer buying new IPs or series with new protagonists every iteration that don't let you choose your gender and I will not support games that don't respect women either.
Take the stick out of your ass.

Hmmm ok...so if we were to compare the two console versions now, they'd probably look quite similar except of course for the 900pvs1080p?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Glad to hear the original version will be patched on PC.

So if o don't buy the season pass do I still get the enhanced edition stuff for the base portion of the game?

Also do my old saves transfer? I never got around to finishing the story.

teokrazia

Have the graphics improved over Vanilla? (On PC) love that 1975 filter.

Cannot tell with precision, because I've just tried The Following, so I'm not able to make a 1:1 comparison.

In the preview build I've tried in Poland there was a brand new PCSS graphics option.
Speaking in general, there are more zombies on screen at the same time and new foliage, such the tall grass à la Crysis 3 [but less interactive].

The preview code on my PC, BTW, runs at the same performance of the base game with latest patches.

how long is this? is it like a checklist type of game of more like exploration?

Approximately 15 hours if you just go through the story missions.

So if o don't buy the season pass do I still get the enhanced edition stuff for the base portion of the game?

Yep

Glad to hear the original version will be patched on PC.

Also do my old saves transfer? I never got around to finishing the story.
I don't see why your old saves wouldn't transfer. It's the same game, just with extra updates.

Best Buy has the PC retail version on clearance for 11.99...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dying-l...189099&skuId=9409114&st=dying light&lp=4&cp=1

...You could then buy the season pass on Steam (The Following Enhanced Edition releases on Feb. 9) for 29.99 and essentially have everything included in the Enhanced Edition for less $45.

No stores in any of the 3 zipcodes I know people to ship :/

Been waiting for the complete version since launch lol, a few more months wont hurt I suppose

Planet

Hmmm ok...so if we were to compare the two console versions now, they'd probably look quite similar except of course for the 900pvs1080p?
Digital Foundry had this covered. The resolution is not 900p but fifteenhundredsomething by 1080, so only horizontally stretched. Also the framerate is a bit lower only in certain situations, overall quite close.

I really, really, really want to get this but it just makes me nauseous to play. Not sure if it's the FOV or what. Without new settings or options, I guess I'll have to skip it (but it's killing me to say that).

Planet

Yeah this is quite heavy on camera swaying, definitely not a title I can watch being played for long. Luckily when playing it doesn't affect me much. I had sessions of about two hours without problems.

Still would appreciate an option to keep the camera more steady. 3D sickness is nasty, because if it hits you, it stays for a while - at least I can forget about playing anything 3D then for that evening.

teokrazia

Have you noticed any facial improvements? I seem to remember reading they were improving the expressions and lip syncing?

Judge by yourself :p

This is longer than the base game then? £13 is really good in that case...

Well, I really don't know.
I don't play this kind of games in that way. :p

It took me 31 hours to finish the original Dying Light the first time, with a 56% of completion [aka including several optional things].

The new area, BTW, is officially announced as bigger than Slums + Old Town and seems packed with alot of stuff to do.

pitchfork

watched a couple of videos Outside Xbox posted on YT from 'the following' expansion on Xbox One

Game seems really smooth and no sign of screen tearing, which apparently was an issue during combat in the original release

Faenix1

Surely hope I won't lose anything by opting to get the season pass instead of wait for the enhanced edition to get to a good price.

Surely hope I won't lose anything by opting to get the season pass instead of wait for the enhanced edition to get to a good price.

There were four outfits and three weapons that were either pre-order bonuses or retailer exclusives that you'll miss out on if you go the game+sp route, so not a big deal imho.

I don't even think the EE is actually a complete edition since there's at least GameStop exclusive DLC for it.

I always felt like Dying Light at times on PS4 felt like it ran above 30fps especially when looking say towards a single building, it was like as if it jumped to mid 40s for a bit then went back down. They had an original target of 60fps for this so even a toggle to get it to say Infamous SS levels of fps would be nice. Locked or Unlocked options.

watched a couple of videos Outside Xbox posted on YT from 'the following' expansion on Xbox One

Game seems really smooth and no sign of screen tearing, which apparently was an issue during combat in the original release

This is Xbox One?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3dPfJGGTkQ

Sure seems very improved over how it is right now. It looks rough her on my screen, especially the trees, the weird blur effect when you look around, really not pleasing to the eyes. It looks damn clean and much better in this Youtube video. But then again, Youtube tends to hide ugly stuff in footage, things like nasty aliasing can only truly be spotted in Gamersyde videos and of course on your own screen.

Warablo

There were four outfits and three weapons that were either pre-order bonuses or retailer exclusives that you'll miss out on if you go the game+sp route, so not a big deal imho.

I don't even think the EE is actually a complete edition since there's at least GameStop exclusive DLC for it.

I think all of that was included with the Ultimate Survivor DLC.

Interesting that Gamestop has exclusive DLC, I hope they patch them in for everyone later.

The new area, BTW, is officially announced as bigger than Slums + Old Town and seems packed with alot of stuff to do.

Is that new area part of the Enhanced Edition (meaning all current owners of the game will receive it for free)? Or will I have to buy the Season Pass/The Following for it?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Is that new area part of the Enhanced Edition (meaning all current owners of the game will receive it for free)? Or will I have to buy the Season Pass/The Following for it?

It's part of the expansion. So you will need The Following.

Side note, is there lightening during thunderstorms? Seems like a huge missed opportunity if not. Lightening flashes and zombie silhouettes during dark nights. Would make for some great atmosphere. Thus far I hear thunder, but all I see is rain?

pitchfork

This is Xbox One?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3dPfJGGTkQ

Sure seems very improved over how it is right now. It looks rough her on my screen, especially the trees, the weird blur effect when you look around, really not pleasing to the eyes. It looks damn clean and much better in this Youtube video. But then again, Youtube tends to hide ugly stuff in footage, things like nasty aliasing can only truly be spotted in Gamersyde videos and of course on your own screen.

Apologies, my mistake. looks like they're playing the PC version with a 360 controller.

Top Bottom