• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light (Techland parkour zombie game) - 12 minute gameplay video

here is the thing about Techland, all their games seems very promising at first and then they all end very flawed and in the disappointment realm or just need more work and time(only Bound in Blood actually delivered)

They get there eventually. Dead Island was good but could have used more work and it received it with Riptide.Hopefully they've learnt lessons from that and will be able to put out a game that feels as fleshed out as it should.

Yeah, being a 2014 title I don't understand that. Sure, sales and all, but that game seems to be a showcase title for the new consoles as well.

Indeed. Normally I'd say it wouldn't surprise me if they cancelled it eventually, but I doubt they will. They'll probably scale it down considerably and release it as is and patch any issues post release.

Read up on the game guys.

-YES you ARE infected. You supposedly will have the ability to sense them coming for you at night, but they can sense you too.

-Yes there is coop.

-There actually is a 'look behind you while running' button and there will be events where mobs chase you at night and your only objective is to run and hide somewhere till dawn.

Hindle

Banned
Read up on the game guys.

-YES you ARE infected. You supposedly will have the ability to sense them coming for you at night, but they can sense you too.

-Yes there is coop.

-There actually is a 'look behind you while running' button and there will be events where mobs chase you at night and your only objective is to run and hide somewhere till dawn.

Have they said anything about the size of the world? I'm thinking the structure will be hub based, like each hub is the size of what was shown in that footage.

Ugh, I can't imagine it's going to perform very well. Should have gone next gen only. I guess that explains why it's not as visually impressive as games only coming to next gen.

To be fair, everything is cross gen, with few exceptions.

here is the thing about Techland, all their games seems very promising at first and then they all end very flawed and in the disappointment realm or just need more work and time(only Bound in Blood actually delivered)
Yeah, people who played Dead Island (I didn’t played it) said to me something in line with this.

derFeef

untitled-16soc8.gif

untitled-2cyp8u.gif

untitled-36wq8m.gif

Looks bad.

Then again I hated Dead Island and hated mirrors edge.

You are a bad person :)

Zombie's Edge looks interesting, but can we have something from these guys other than the same old dead island looking environments?

Archpath1

i hope there can be some pretty cool chases sequences, against other runners, or even players in multiplayer

*vv well i hope so, this is my guess

Trailer looked pretty good, it kept my attention for the whole 12 mins. Yeah it does look like a updated version of Dead island, which doesn't bother me since I liked most of that game. Night gameplay has a chance to be legit scary if they do it right.

Busty

Banned
While by no means a scrappy little indie publisher I always find myself pulling for WB Games as they seem to make a lot of interesting choices. Between publishing lollipop chainsaw and The Witcher games they are expanding well beyond a safe base of LEGO and Batman games.

And while talking of WB Games I'm assuming that they are not only publishing this but are financing development and/or own the IP?

only interesting zombie game I know of

Agreed. Even as someone who loathes the over saturation of the zombie genre this looks really fresh and interesting.

Though I'm sure Dead Rising 3 will find an audience I think this could be the zombie game of 2014 and beyond. I could definitely see this becoming a major hit franchise 'next gen'.

Ricker

This looks like what Dead Island 3(or 2 I guess if you consider Riptide not 2) could of looked like...which is great,love the series...

Ugh, I can't imagine it's going to perform very well. Should have gone next gen only. I guess that explains why it's not as visually impressive as games only coming to next gen.

Really? Unless they pull an Ubi and the final product looks significantly worse than what they showed in this video, it looks at least on par with (if not significantly better in some areas) the next gen exclusives I've seen, aside from The Division. The lighting and textures look great, but the physics really sell the world. Impressive stuff. Until I learned otherwise a few minutes ago, I was convinced that it would be next gen only.

Just wait for that game to look ugly by being inundated with HUD and reticles.

Also I really hope there is an actual story, with characters to give a crap about. Because at this point it looks like a nice zombie game and nothing more, not the worst aim, but it would give the game more urgency if there felt like there were people, reasons to want to survive the apocalypse. I can see this game getting very repetitive if they don't break it up with substantial characters, ala HL2.

Divius

Mirror's Edge x Dead Island.
A game a liked x a game that had potential

I'm in

Too bad this playthrough look scripted as hell.

Skerj

Just wait for that game to look ugly by being inundated with HUD and reticles.

Also I really hope there is an actual story, with characters to give a crap about.

It's Techland, manage your expectations man. Fun game? Hell yes. Compelling story and characters? I'd be pleasantly surprised if there were.

derFeef

For all saying this is basically Dead Island 2 - it's not since techland might not work on that game and they trademarked "Dead World" - which might be a future installment.

AlterOdin

Just played COJ: Gunslinger. Most entertaining shooter I have played in a while. If they keep the controls as thight as Gunslinger, this can be a treat. (even though this one seems more melee based)

Also even though the engine can feel a little "dated", I like how well it performs and the look of it, very colorfull (played with sweetfx).

It looks exciting, even if I couldn't give less of a shit about zombies at this point. The entire "the world changes through your decisions" line made me cringe though. Next-gen or not, we've still got the same smoke being blown up our asses.

I also wonder how much variety there is, when considering playstyles. This looks like a game that would be twice as interesting to play without combat. Just freerunning through the world, like a giant game of "the floor is made of zombies".

Acheteedo

Love the dead island games, and those games are shit, this actually looks like a decent game, so I'm going to go crazy for it.

Can't wait.

My jaw dropped. Holy shit! How did Techland go from Dead Island to this? All that success from the game really made the studio confident. From that 12 minute video this is incredible ambitious. Consider me hyped.

After State of Decay, I can't look at zombie games the same way again. Expect so much more than just whacking zombies.

Other than the movement stuff, this footage looked boring. And hella scripted virtual slice. The geezer bouncer deep voice doesn't suit the parlour player character, weird disconnect whenever he talked.

legacyzero

Banned
FUCKING SOLD.

Just seeing all the shit blowing in the wind, and all the dead on screen at once just screams next gen to me. Great atmosphere! Day 1.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I didn't enjoy Dead Island, but I can't help getting excited for this. Part of the reason I didn't like Dead Island is that I felt very restricted in exploration, and this looks to fix that right up.

Plus...

Zombie dropkick. Has somebody gif'd that yet?
Edit: I looked up. Cancelling my video download... :(

Hope they don't make it as RPG-y as Dead Island. HUD overload

Still, if this is anywhere near as good as it looks, it will make it a lot easier to take not having Dead Rising 3.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Only thing that bothers me is the zombies almost always look too far away to be hit when he swings his weapon. Could be due to the character holding his weapons far too close to his face though.

deuce985

Banned
Looks a lot like Dead Island. I actually had fun with Dead Island though. I will keep an eye on this. Didn't like the superpower stuff when he slammed the ground with the hammer...

Top Bottom