• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light (Techland parkour zombie game) - 12 minute gameplay video

SJRB

Gold Member
Only thing that bothers me is the zombies almost always look too far away to be hit when he swings his weapon. Could be due to the character holding his weapons far too close to his face though.

I agree, the combat looked weird. The hits didn't seen to connect, enemies just move into their "I am hit" animation.

M*A*S*H

I agree, the combat looked weird. The hits didn't seen to connect, enemies just move into their "I am hit" animation.

It definitely seemed rather janky, but I'm putting that down to the game still being in alpha. The melee was dead island's stand out feature after all, so I can't imagine them messing it up for the quasi sequel.

Lazyslob

Banned
This looks cool and i really like the night stuff, looks interesting. Never played dead island so hopefully this turns out good.

Alienous

I'm finding that lighting really impressive.

And the animations are pretty gorgeous, from a first person perspective.

EDIT:
Has someone already made a joke about the main character using Link's charging spinning slash?

untitled-16soc8.gif

untitled-2cyp8u.gif

untitled-36wq8m.gif

Need 60 fps version Asap :p
dyinglight3_by_xbulletz-d6iae0m.gif

dyinglight2_by_xbulletz-d6iae4s.gif

dyinglight1_by_xbulletz-d6iae7i.gif

Looks pretty good. More interested in this than their previous Dead Island games. Also needs more gif of the player jumping over the zombies, that was a very cool idea from the devs.

I had never heard a single thing about this game before watching that gameplay demo....holy shit! I can't wait to play this.

So I take it from comments in here that it's by the same devs that made Dead Island?

Next gen visuals are invariably underwhelming.

Love the day/night mechanic.

If you're a PC player, maybe. Even as such, the physics, draw distance and LOD are very impressive.

Next gen visual complaints always confuse me. Yeah, it doesn't look radically different, but you're not taking everything into account. Even in painfully cross gen games like Assassin's Creed IV, the next gen version is far more impressive visually. Standard stuff like textures and lighting are obviously improved, but there's other smaller things that have a huge impact. AC3 was a foggy ass game. In what I've seen of ACIV, the draw distance is greater than you can actually see in the real world, and the level of detail they pack into it is incredible. The world is more dense and entirely seamless, and the physics effects bring it all to life. Dying Light is showing identical improvements, and it visually, they're both stunning.

Bishop89

God, i dont think ill be able to cope during the night segments :(

Will it always 'slow down' when you look behind you? Is that an actual button or is it doing it automatically?
Also, best thing from what i can gather is no stamina for sprinting... god that sucked in dead island

Salsa

untitled-2cyp8u.gif

dyinglight3_by_xbulletz-d6iae0m.gif

I think the whole game has this weird issue where the guy's swings are hitting even tho I feel like the zombie is further away

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I'm looking for a better quality version, this is almost unwatchable at times.Hopefully by the end of the day...
Edit: 24 hours exclusivity for IGN, so we'll get it today.

Really? Unless they pull an Ubi and the final product looks significantly worse than what they showed in this video, it looks at least on par with (if not significantly better in some areas) the next gen exclusives I've seen, aside from The Division. The lighting and textures look great, but the physics really sell the world. Impressive stuff. Until I learned otherwise a few minutes ago, I was convinced that it would be next gen only.

I guess you're right, when you factor in scale and everything else it's going, it does look pretty impressive visually but at the same time you can see where they've made sacrifices to ensure it will work across all platforms.

Love this gif. Look at all those zeds man. Incredible.

http://abload.de/img/untitled-2cyp8u.gif[img]

[IMG]http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/227/d/2/dyinglight3_by_xbulletz-d6iae0m.gif[IMG]

I think the whole game has this weird issue where the guy's swings are hitting even tho I feel like the zombie is further away[/QUOTE]

It's the same with Zeno Clash 2, you soon get past it but there's a few minutes when you start playing where the combat looks and feels weird due to spacial issues. As I said though, you soon get used to it and it stops being an issue.

Looks very interesting, great sense of atmosphere and zombie count looks impressive. Do agree whats being said though, combat looks off in some way. Contact between weapon and zombie is not convincing, but as this is Alpha footage could still be great.

Also noticed this is going to release on 360 and PS3, how will this be possible!

DocSeuss

On one hand, Dead Island was atrociously written, had boring melee, and was so intent on making sure you used melee that it made guns retardedly bad (zombie filling up 80% of your screen? Aim at his chest? Oh, uh, I know you're the lady with the fully upgraded guns and accuracy, but you still missed/did like no damage at all) rather than obscenely rare... I really do not want this.

On the other hand, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger was amazing, and parkour+crafting+zombies = awesome.

It'd be nice if they pulled a Rockstar and had the enemies respond to being hit in specific locations--but unlike Max Payne 3, not the player.

Between this and Saint's Row 4's oddly Prototype-y looking animations, I'm beginning to wonder if there's a public domain animation library they use for this stuff.

Because the climbing something and turn with hand out to jump across animation IS the Mirror's Edge one.,

I seem to remember that back when STALKER came out, people claimed it ripped off some textures from Half-Life 2, but it turned out that they were both using public domain textures or something like that.

I know there are some animation libraries out there.

Grief.exe

I seem to remember that back when STALKER came out, people claimed it ripped off some textures from Half-Life 2, but it turned out that they were both using public domain textures or something like that.

I know there are some animation libraries out there.

Companies often contract work out as well, its possible that they contracted out to the same firm.

Don't really like how fast it moves, and the drop kick was laughably bad, but other than that I suppose it looks pretty decent. Graphics are nice. Would try.

Siegmeyer

Once I switched to analog controls, I enjoyed the hell out of Dead Island. Had heard nothing of this game prior to this video but now I'm very interested.

Feindflug

I thought that Dead Island was such a boring game but this one looks promising, the Mirror's Edge movement/platforming looks really cool...also I'm really curious to see how the current gen versions will turn out.

First thing that came to mind when I watched the video though was how a next gen Call Of Juarez game will look. I love the Juarez series dammit! :p

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Seems very fun, I'm looking forward to this. It's great to see another FP game using Mirror's Edge-style movement. PC version will look pretty good at higher settings, graphics-wise it was weird at some spots in this video but I assume that's because of the encoding too.

edit:

H0pSUwt.png

loved seeing those Orelhões during the video, lol. I guess this section of the game takes place in a (pseudo?) Brazil? Event though you can also find those in some other Latin American and African regions, it's a staple of the country. The prospect gets me even more interested in this.

I was actually very intrigued by this trailer. It looks like a much improved Dead Island. Zombies actually seem to die in one or two hits, unlike DI where it takes 20 or so hits because of the RPG elements.

I laughed my ass off when the Tank appeared, though. I think that leaves the Jockey as the only Left 4 Dead infected that hasn't been ripped off wholesale.

Pop

Very very scripted, I don't know what to believe. Looks great though.

Maybe we'll get to see real gameplay sometime soon.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
wow. looks fucking awesome. great movement. dense environments. exploration. solid melee combat. after he found teh girl and got to the freeway overpass though, my jaw hit the floor. TONS of zombies. DR3 levels of zombies.

The movement and graphics look great, nice variation in melee animation.

But the (from this video) scripted missions, scripted day/night sequence, constant radio chatter telling you what to do is a complete turnoff.

Top Bottom