• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light (Techland parkour zombie game) - 12 minute gameplay video

sunnz

Yep, does look very good.

Just hope the day/night transition was sped up for this demo, if better not be that short in game, would be stupid.

I was hoping it would have more of a survival element to it too ( food/water)

Also dislike those accents, off putting ( same problem with Dead island)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
rest of the game after that will take place in narrow sewers.

lol, yeah in Dead Island I only liked the Resort, the jump from open map with many locations like the Resort to the sewers in Moresby or the awful Prison (or the narrow Jungle) was bad.

I hate when people showing demos turn around and move so slowly. Looks pretty good though.

Ugh, it's the worst. How did he walk down the stairs into that room and not manage to see the zombie lying in the middle of the floor.

Being able to run through crowds by stepping on people's heads was something I always wanted in Mirror's Edge, and those little evasive hops look pretty great, too.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
This is one of the reasons why they show so much CGI footage, people jump to conclusions so fast it doesn't make any sense.

The point of this is to encourage people to pick and choose your fights carefully and to get out of the mindless mashing. This works great in this game and I'm glad they aren't dumbing shit down.

I hope they add co-op so I can forget about DR3 and have my zombie fix while I wait for the polished DayZ on PS4 (pls).

Nope wrong again, you can still pick & choose your fights as regardless of if a weapon breaks or not you will still get overwhelmed by a larger number of enemies which will cause a lot of damage to player or death.

Prime example are any games that dont have any sort of item degradation but large numbers of anything kill you.

Sorry argument failed right there.

teokrazia

Wow, it looks exactly as I hoped.
A competent Mirror's Edge disciple and a ways (and ways) more refined Dead Island.
Oh, and graphically is very pleasant.

Hope Techland will catch some of dynamism and 'smart randomness' that still make Left 4 Dead so special. We definitely need more Director in the horror/surviving/open/horde/massive action genre.

Stitch

Gold Member
Damn, why do they have to ruin every zombie game with special infected?
Oh well, still looks kinda cool. Hope it's better than Dead island because that turned into shit after the Resort.

Damn, why do they have to ruin every zombie game with special infected?
Oh well, still looks kinda cool. Hope it's better than Dead island because that turned into shit after the Resort.

Just what I was thinking..

After seeing that charging zombie, all my hype was gone. Its like dead rising is the only game that does it right.

therapist

Looks awesome!

Loved dead island and even riptide - even with its flaws.

This the combat and movement is vastly improved...lookin like a day 1.

Gbraga

Looks great! I hope it has some of Mirror's Edge glitches to make parkour even faster and more fun.

EDIT: I guess I should watch the whole thing first. Special infected >_______>

EDIT2: I guess I REALLY should watch the whole thing first, it actually didn't bother me. I hope it has 4 player co-op (or at least 2)

Kydd BlaZe

My goodness, I was not expecting Dying Light to look this good. Game looked pretty good visually, and looked like a lot of fun. I also noticed that the weapons crafting seemed to have found it's way here as well.

If this game has four player co-op, it totally renders the Dead Island franchise obsolete.

DrZeus

That was great, but will the actual gameplay resemble anything near that quality? I'm reserving judgement and am cautiously intrigued.

nib95

Banned
Animations are a bit ropey, especially attacking with knives, bats, the hit reactions etc, and graphics could use polish, but otherwise it looks really compelling. Sort of like Dead Rising meets Last of Us meets Mirror's Edge. Will most probably pick this up at some point if it turns out decent. Great concept, and the world they've created looks really realistic and believable.

Looks good, not gonna lie. Are they still using that shitty chrome engine? If so, they seem to have updated it alot.
Edit: No way this is real gameplay, looks way to good.

sunnz

Also I hate youtube, half the time I don't even know if the video I am watching has converted to 720p or or not, even after like 1 minute of switching to it. So bad.

Looked pixelated, but was able to tell it looks good graphically ( especially love how alive the world feels with the foliage moving around, clothes being affected by the wind etc... Love that sort of stuff. ) but did seem to have a bit too much bloom.

jond76

Banned
I really liked how the world was very organic,ie: swaying curtains, debris, etc. Lots of detail.

Movement looked fun and the amount of zombies could be frightening. I'm hyped now.

Famassu

Day-time looked kind of boring and the one playing the game kind of sucked (I don't understand why he did half of the stuff that he did), but WOWZA at that night-time gameplay. So intense looking. That "look back slow-mo" was a really nice touch.

Overdoziz

Banned
Might as well just call it Dead Island 2. The city aesthetics are basically the same anyway.
That aside it looks pretty cool, but I just played through Dead Island and after around 25 hours of that I'm a bit burned out on it. We haven't seen much yet, but so far most stuff looks incredibly scripted similar to Dead Island. Would've been cool if they went with a more dynamic and sandbox type of gameplay.

Overdoziz

Banned
This game looks next gen even in alpha forwe can expect a great looking game that for sure.
For videos like this developers usually polish up that section of the game to look like it'll do at launch. I wouldn't expect a big difference between this and release, and if there is a difference is often for the worse.

Looks great nonetheless, though.

I just don't like the fact that someone is always pulling the strings telling me what to go do.

I get it, I hate it open world games as well but at the same time there does have to be some kind of structure and I'm hoping these air drop missions will serve as a way to further to plot, it certainly gives that impression with hints of a fellow gang also scavenging for air drops and a character mentioned by name.

I enjoyed what I played of dead island 1 before a patch deleted my savegame (was about 8 hours in)

Only good first person melee combat I've ever seen in a game.

I like how the vegetation rustles in the wind, makes it look much more alive.
The day and night cycle and lighting in general is very nice too.

Let's hope this is a better port than DI1 and DI2, those ports were dire, locked at 60 hz fuck that noise.

Overdoziz

Banned
I enjoyed what I played of dead island 1 before a patch deleted my savegame (was about 8 hours in)

Only good first person melee combat I've ever seen in a game.

I like how the vegetation rustles in the wind, makes it look much more alive.
The day and night cycle and lighting in general is very nice too.

Let's hope this is a better port than DI1 and DI2, those ports were dire, locked at 60 hz fuck that noise.
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare has better melee combat than Dead Island has easily. Honestly doesn't look like they've improved it much over Dead Island, but it's a bit hard to tell when watching a video.

sunnz

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare has better melee combat than Dead Island has easily. Honestly doesn't look like they've improved it much over Dead Island, but it's a bit hard to tell when watching a video.

Chivalry has better combat than ANY game with swords and melee focused combat.

imo.

I never tried chivalry, but dead island released first and until it did I thought making a fun first person melee game was impossible (seeing as how poor all other attampts in other games have consistently been)

KageMaru

Looks like a mix of Mirrors Edge and Dead Island, so exactly as I expected. =p Not sure I'm liking the night time mechanics though.

A bit disappointed this is also coming to current gen. When this was originally announced, I thought it was announced as a next gen exclusive.

Just what I was thinking..

After seeing that charging zombie, all my hype was gone. Its like dead rising is the only game that does it right.

Dead Rising has the psychos though, so they don't need to add special zombies for variety.

looks cool but don't see whats "next"gen about it

The scale looks like something that probably wouldn't be possible on current gen consoles, at least not in any way that wouldn't result in a technical mess of a game.

The number of zeds on screen is also something I'm not sure current gen consoles could pull off without major issues. Visually, I think it looks fantastic but it doesn't look as next gen as other games, but I put that down to Techland getting used to working with new tech and the sequel might be more of a next gen game in terms of visuals and everything else.

I think it will nice to feel scared shitless and/or overwhelmed and now you can just run away from the situation if you're good enough.

Skerj

looks cool but don't see whats "next"gen about it

Next gen we're climbing everything and opening ALL the doors.
I hope

This really does look like Super Dead Island and that is not a bad thing at all. Doesn't look like it will have co-op, I wonder if the RPG mechanics will make it in.

Edit: Wooo it does have co-op, bought twice now.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
What Sheva is doing in this game?

Joke aside.

The game seems promising, I look forward to it.

here is the thing about Techland, all their games seems very promising at first and then they all end very flawed and in the disappointment realm or just need more work and time(only Bound in Blood actually delivered)

derFeef

Ugh, I can't imagine it's going to perform very well. Should have gone next gen only. I guess that explains why it's not as visually impressive as games only coming to next gen.

Yeah, being a 2014 title I don't understand that. Sure, sales and all, but that game seems to be a showcase title for the new consoles as well.

Top Bottom