• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA acknowledges Mass Effect Andromeda's animation issues (barely)

PnCIa

Not to mention that one face that all the NPC Asari share. Yes, one. Every Asari but PeeBee looks the same except for slight skin colour and marking variation:

lhhqEWH
I love their expression. Looks like they under some sort of mind control, just walking bodies doing someone elses biding.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The walk/run animation they mention is based off an exploitable user input which is a different case. I really doubt the facial stuff is going to be changed.

The thing that would really help a lot is some of the general Nexus jank, like NPC pathing and warping. The bulk of the buggy moments I see in Andromeda are transitions back to gameplay from the over the shoulder talking, smoothing that stuff out would go a long way.

RexNovis

Banned
Not to mention that one face that all the NPC Asari share. Yes, one. Every Asari but PeeBee looks the same except for slight skin colour and marking variation:

lhhqEWH

How does this happen? How does nobody think "hey maybe every single character from a certain species shouldn't have the exact same face" Seriously how? There's no way something that blatant was just an oversight.

kuroshiki

How does this happen? How does nobody think "hey maybe every single character from a certain species shouldn't have the exact same face" Seriously how? There's no way something that blatant was just an oversight.

Yeah. and with 5 year development cycle, this is just laziness to the new height.

oneils

Heh, I remember when Bioware called the infamous gun-swiping animation a "bug". Oh, what a wondrous lie.

They must have known the reaction they were going to get. Still don't understand why they showed off the conversation between sloane and Ryder in their big reveal. And then they had the balls to tell us it was still in development and was being "fixed." I have shelved single player for now due to the jankiness and am playing multiplayer. Did the scene get changed at all? Haven't got to it.

why is OP calling them bugs? It's the animations the game shipped with, they are just bad.

Nonetheless there's only so many bugs they can work on at once and that list will hopefully popularize over time. It's a very buggy game and imo animations are the least of the issue, public opinion just latched onto them.

ran out of money at some point and "wishlist functionality" like these are the first to get cut out as they won't affect the gameplay.

why is OP calling them bugs? It's the animations the game shipped with, they are just bad.

read this http://www.animstate.com/round-table-mass-effect-andromeda/

lhhqEWH
I don't think this is accurate. I'm pretty sure Kalinda, Lexi and Keri don't have the same face. Same with the Asari in Cora's loyalty mission (blanking on name).

It doesn't excuse the army of reused faces and no asari looks as good or unique as Samara or Liara and that's definitely disappointing but I don't think it's as universally as bad as you say. Still not great in a game of this type.

Poor management. This feels so much like Dragon Age 2. They thought they could get away with cutting corners, but everyone noticed.

I don't buy the laziness argument. This is about where they decided to spend the game's budget. And poor judgement.

On the positive side, now that there is a Mass Effect running on Frostbite, they could address most of the issues and turn around a much higher quality game in less time.

Tworak

they must be ecstatic nobody is talking about the awful quest design and horrible writing

release my mom or we kill everyone!
what would your mom think of that?
yes, you're right. bye!

for some reason it really stood out to me how fast a fundamentalist nutjob came to his senses. if only.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
they must be ecstatic nobody is talking about the awful quest design and horrible writing

yes, you're right. bye!

for some reason it really stood out to me how fast a fundamentalist nutjob came to his senses. if only.

Yeah, the animation stuff i can get over, but hearing people talk about the poor quests and characters is what stopped me from buying the game. I really hope its not the end of mass effect as i want them to continue.

ISee

I dont see anything mentioning a 1080p mode for the Pro and that pisses me off :/
Slightly higher ambient occlusion. Downsampling from 1800c to 1080p. Same performance as base model (drops down to 25fps).

yes, you're right. bye!

It's everything. Poor facial animations, dead eyes, bad dialogue and story, horrible ui, unlikeable characters. This game feels like it was made by people replicating bioware, without having enough experience (or skill) to do it.

valkyre

Slightly higher ambient occlusion. Downsampling from 1800c to 1080p. Same performance as base model (drops down to 25fps).

Cool but I am asking for a 1080p mode as Bioware had told us so that the game may finally run in solid 30 fps...

I think playing it for over 40+ hours now... I had few of the animation issues that it was having but people are kinda overlooking although, I think some are also already noticing the story, narration and the characters are like ..... jeez man ... they are trying so hard to do the mass effect 1 magic again but it fell flat. Some parts of the game had its moment but overall,If the animations did not have its issues now, I feel everything else are not delievering what it wants to deliver . Hoping the DLC's can at least redeem some quality story,character and narration wise.

TI82

Banned

yes, you're right. bye!

It's funny because the trial really shows the bad quest design off and when people commented on it the usual superfans attacked us saying it's only a demo, nothing like an MMO etc. It's like... It's as bad as almost everyone predicted lol

I've never had a bigger gulf between what the popular sentiment of a game is and how I personally feel about it than with Andromeda. Especially on the characters.

I'm almost at the end but I'm continually surprised to see hate for the characters in this game. Especially if you were to compare it to the first game in the OT.

ME:A feels a lot like the creators were big fans of the Citadel DLC and that influence is sprinkled all over the place in this and it's something I personally really enjoy. Andromeda doesn't have the same 'pace' as 2 and 3 and it gives the characters a lot more time to have interactions that make sense for a more laid back experience. I've really enjoyed my time with all of these new characters pretty universally and I thought almost all of the conclusions to their personal missions and the fallout from them were handled very well and were often quite touching.

*shrugs*

I feel like the rush to make fiscal year hurt the game. The question is will they take their money and run or stay around for long term support. Games like the Witcher, Fallout, and Elder Scrolls all are much better games 6 months to a year after they launched. Of course I don't think they'll patch the bad writing.

Game needs more time in the oven. Been playing P4 till P5 comes out. Couldn't push myself to play Andromeda more than 12 hours before I put it on the back end of the backlog.

Decided to return my copy for PS4 and keep it on Origin. I had played through 1 and 2, so there is that. 2 starts off very well and it's just something that I felt Andromeda couldn't deliver on; a Strong Start.

Edit: Also, noticed Ryders default hair (fem Ryder) looks exactly the same as an Asian woman that is part of the crew, in the ship. I kind of expected the main characters hair to be unique, especially the default.

Taggen86

Nice that they are fixing dolby vision. HDR already looks incredible in this game and with DV that optimizes the HDR for your tv, it will look even better

ISee

I feel like the rush to make fiscal year hurt the game. The question is will they take their money and run or stay around for long term support. Games like the Witcher, Fallout, and Elder Scrolls all are much better games 6 months to a year after they launched. Of course I don't think they'll patch the bad writing.

They are better games with the added content. The difference is they were all great games before the extra content. An exception would be fallout:nv which was extremely bugy, but had at least a good foundation and the core elements (world, freedome, narrative, exploration) weren't flawed.
ME:A is in a different spot, because it isn't a great game on its own.

Kthulhu

They must have known the reaction they were going to get. Still don't understand why they showed off the conversation between sloane and Ryder in their big reveal. And then they had the balls to tell us it was still in development and was being "fixed." I have shelved single player for now due to the jankiness and am playing multiplayer. Did the scene get changed at all? Haven't got to it.

I think it actually got worse. Not joking.

Madness

lhhqEWH

A lot of asset reuse for all the characters. Humans, Turians, Salarians, Krogan etc.

It is what it is. At least we know now why they had so many lead devs leave, why Edmonton was brought in for help, why it took 5+ years and why we went two whole E3's without any footage until essentially that Vault walkthrough and then a few weeks before launch when we finally saw things at PAX east etc.

There are good parts to the game. But visuallt and technically it isn't anywhere near GOTY AAA title.

I wont go into how much I disagree with the overall hate for this game... Let's just say that I am a big fan of the game, and can take some of the issues better than most I guess.

Animation bugs will most likely never be fixed. At this point all I really want is a better character creator. Hell give me the pre patch model and I'll be happy.

It's not the animations that made me not buy this game. Fix away EA I'm still not buying it full price when there are so many good games with interesting stories and good voice acting that look incredible and play well out now that it's bargain bin city for me. A Whole New Galaxy. Same Old Shit. Bargain Bin City.

Garlador

Yeah. and with 5 year development cycle, this is just laziness to the new height.

It certainly wasn't "laziness". I'm sure they've been in crunch mode and panic mode for months knowing the state of the game and their inability to acquire any further delays to fix things.

It's not like the developers were all just sitting at their desks fiddling about and watching cat videos all day. It's a huge game and there had to have been countless problems.

What we're seeing is the IMPROVED version of the game compared to the "we can't show this to the public yet" version of the game that must have existed a few months prior. And I'm starting to believe quite strongly that that "5 year development cycle" spent at least three of those years figuring out where to take the series after ME3's ending and figuring out what the story might be.

Doesn't excuse a buggy game, of course. All games cut some corners, but in ME:A's case, we see it more often than most games. The game, despite that "five year cycle", is clearly rushed, incomplete, and missing at least one or two (or three) more polish passes and waves of bug fixes.

Zojirushi

Yeah this whole "lazy devs" thing has to stop.

We know nothing certain about what went down behind the scenes of this game but I'm sure it wasn't pretty.

Chexr

It's not like the developers were all just sitting at their desks fiddling about and watching cat videos all day.

I've been in QA before, I could definitely see this happening. Normally there were a bunch of devs who "fixed" bugs by taking out content, or they made lazy fixes that would just create several other problems just so they could get their bug count up.

Then there was a smaller amount of specific devs who got all the real shit done. If I saw that one of these devs fixed a bug I put in, I could be sure that they had actually gone into the game to play test the fix themselves.

dr_rus

I'd just like to add that the zigzag running animation likely wont seen by an absolute vast majority of players at any point as it requires specific input and directional play from the player, but it didn't stop it being utterly shitposted in gif form everywhere and now listed as an intended "fix".

Yeah, this.

After playing for about 5 hours I can safely say that MEA's animation issue is blown out of proportion really. What was posted in GIFs is there, sure, but it's like 1/100th of what's there in terms of animation and the 99/100 is completely normal.

I'd also like to say that this is another case where an ME game is being bashed for something which is hardly it's biggest problem - last time this happened with ME3 being bashed for it's ending while there were loads and loads of way more important issues with the game. Same is happening to MEA now - so if EA is listening I hope that they won't put 90% of ME5 budget on animation quality because of this feedback.

IISANDERII

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Bugs-Known-issues-list-for-MEA/td-p/5942772

List of issues being actively worked on for the game right now and they acknowledged exactly 1 animation bug.

Does this shed more light on the possibility that these animation bugs are not fixable? To not even be acknowledged further than one specific instance shows either a lack of knowledge or an act of subterfuge. And somehow I don't think they have been ignoring the negative press (or sales).
It terrifies me that behind the scenes they may be flogging and beating the development team.

shandy706

I'm not even starting the game until I hear what they intend to fix. The eyes looking fucked up is a big one and would seem easy to fix.

Just do like me, sell the game before even opening it. Haha

I'll come back when it's sub $20. I have too much of a backlog already.

faridmon

You can't fix all the animation issues. It would require entirely redone lip syncing, redone cutscenes, a ton of it and a redo to the effect of The Witcher Enhanced Edition. Never going ti happen.

If Square can do it with FF XV then, yes its possible to fix what you mentioned.

Slaythe

If Square can do it with FF XV then, yes its possible to fix what you mentioned.

But Square is probably the "go to" dev, when it comes to releasing broken games and then turning them around 180 and making them incredible.

They keep doing that.

EA.................

Rarius

I don't think this is accurate. I'm pretty sure Kalinda, Lexi and Keri don't have the same face. Same with the Asari in Cora's loyalty mission (blanking on name).

It doesn't excuse the army of reused faces and no asari looks as good or unique as Samara or Liara and that's definitely disappointing but I don't think it's as universally as bad as you say. Still not great in a game of this type.

Lexi's face is identical to the others, she just has a lip stripe.

Rarius

How did they even mess up the CC? DA:I is on the same engine... and ME:A actually feels like a branch off of that game. You're telling me they couldn't port it over?

Andodalf

Banned
Step A plus Step B causes Step C

EA: Don't do Step B right after Step A then you won't see Step C.

Blegh.

I mean the the glitch they reference is pretty much never going to happen in normal gameplay. Its hard to unintentionally preform, for me at least.

Well, after my 35 hrs, I'm kinda getting bored anyway, so I think I'm gonna flip to Nier and wait and see what happens with a few months of patching and fixes. It likely won't fix my core gripes with the game, but good on EA and Bioware for taking it seriously and addressing the issues people have with animation (as dr rus said above, hardly my biggest gripe, but at least they're fixing it)

Tonyx

Oh well... at least they said something. I guess we should settle for this as it's unlikely they'll fix anything.

pfkas

I literally stopped playing ME3 the second I saw the run animation when told to do it during the tutorial section. Went through me like nails on a chalkboard.

Went back to it earlier this year in prep for Andromeda and completed it in short time. Glad I did, it was a great game. Aside from that animation.

Herne

I know Edmonton is working on a Star Wars game atm... I dearly, dearly hope that doesn't mean Montreal will start work on the next Dragon Age.

Please, no...

On the other hand, outside of clear issues like the bugs and lack of faces, amateurish writing and anything else we find wrong with it, I haven't actually experienced that much wrong with the animation. The two worst experiences I've had so far are two Dracks appearing in the kitchen, and Kallo sinking into his chair in one scene (he was back to normal when the camera cut back to him).

Stupid mistakes and bugs, yes, but I think the issue is a little overblown... at least from my experience. I've seen the videos showing the very worst.

I can say this for the game - it's stable. My pc copy hasn't crashed once - Witcher 3 on the other hand still crashes randomly every now and then. And I'm getting great performance on my pc - on an i5 4690K, 16GB 1333 and Radeon R9 390X, I typically see frame rates of 70-100+ at mostly ultra settings at 1080P... dipping down to the mid-40's during conversations as with everyone else, of course.

Top Bottom