• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA disabling purchased copies of Rock Band iOS? [Yes / No / Maybe / Bear's Driving!]

It was an error alright. An error to try and pull this kind of stunt on too mainstream a device.

They must really think their customers aren't worth one iota of respect.

Maybe there was some misunderstanding internally, they were going to stop selling it, but there was confusion with the rest of their iOS strategy appears to include disabling games so someone got told to say that.

...not that I'd believe that for a second, and think they're misleading and backtracking, but wanted to see if I could come up with a scenario that they weren't lying.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Lmao, error. EA is really testing the waters on how much they can screw people over for. They probably have a whole think-tank dept. for that type of shit.

Cool. Give me $5 then. I might give you something in return.
Something not guaranteed to work, either to fulfill its stated function or to work in your environment. Something you won't own and cannot resell or transfer, that can only run on one device with a limited number of activations, that you must be online to use, whose features are subject to change and even wholesale removal without notice, and that can be discontinued at any time without reason. Oh, and no refunds.

Is this capitalism at work? The economic system that so prides itself on private property and ownership rights?

Such is the nature of cell phone apps.
How about e-books? Precedents established now have far reaching consequences beyond just apps that kill time.

Cipherr

Wow, the FAQ just MURRRRRRRDERS them on this one. They are fucking lying their asses off man.

They are just testing how much shit they can pull on consumers before backlash sets in. When they step the line and people go apeshit, they claim its a mistake.

Jesus I hate these guys man.

So, any big gaming sites have reported this? Or are we gonna sweep this one under the rug.

I'm think someone will report this with implications that anyone that bought Rock Band iOS in the first place is dumb. Possible usage of the word entitled.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: So it wasn't. Oh well. I don't see any reason to get this angry over a throw away app.

Huh...

So what's your monetary value threshold of not giving a fuck when something of yours is simply taken away without your consent? $5? $10? Does it matter if you're still using the item or product?

Roto13

So, any big gaming sites have reported this? Or are we gonna sweep this one under the rug.

Joystiq and Kotaku posted about it. Sorry, Big Games Journalism isn't conspiring with EA to destroy gaming.
VvFgE.gif

Boss Man

lol.

This is what digital distribution means, nerds! Somehow you end up paying for something you don't own.

In fact, if you give me half of your salary this month, I'll license you my house. You can visit it as much as you want. Until I decide you can't. And you won't own it. Deal?

The EA shenanigans are a mere drop in the ocean to when people finally wake up and realise that every PSN purchase expires with the PS3....
PSN games will arbitrarily stop working on your PS3, or you just mean you won't be able to put them on a PS4?

Emitan

Isn't it about time cpp_is_king comes into the thread to talk about how ea is just doing what is necessary.

"This is the future of games. If you actually want to own a game you pay for be prepared to stop buying games. Everyone will be doing this, everyone. And it's good for the industry."

Did I do it right? I think I've got his schtick down.

LiK

i can't help but laugh at them disabling their mobile support page. they don't wanna even deal with the complaints.

A mistake. Sure.

Watch, EA and a few other companies will do this a few more times then pull back at the last second. The furor among gamers will be lessened with each incidence. That's when they spring it for real. It's a kind of social engineering. Carefully manufactured malaise. All it takes is time. And it does work every time. Do you think a law like the SOPA legislation wont be back? It will be. And again and again and again, it will be back. As many times as it takes. Because eventually people get tired of fighting. Works every time.

Do you really think that the same company that renders their Madden games unplayable online after just 2 years in order to push people into buying the newest version would have any problem with totally abandoning a small iOS game? This is the forefront of the DD future most game publishers have been dreaming about.

I'm not trying to rile anybody up to do something about it. Quite the opposite. I'm saying don't bother doing anything about it. Because they will just keep coming at you with this kind of thing until you finally give up fighting. Get a small percentage to agree that it's a good idea and work up from there. Eventually you get enough people that agree that "used game sales are killing the industry"...oops meant to say "it's their software, they can do whatever they want with it. you only bought a license to use the software".

megalowho

Lying about it is pretty low, even for EA PR. They're not even pretending to give a shit about their customers anymore, just seeing what sticks. And I'm supposed to trust Origin for all my digital download needs?

tafer

Wow... it's almost surreal how low this company can fall, how bad it treats its (ex-, I hope) customers and how terrible they handled the whole mess.

Eusis

I scoffed at them being voted worst company when I heard it... now I might actually agree.
It's REALLY hard to top stuff like the games to rob people of their homes, but for video games and how rapidly low EA's going they're coming close to truly earning it at the least.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Wait... they're disabling it at the end of the month yet it's still for sale? Wowwwwww. So fucked up.

Montresor

EA is so fucking scummy. But they published Shadows of the Damned last year and Mass Effect 3 this year... it's hard to completely boycott a company when they still release some good games every now and then. =/

Either way, I'm glad that I read in this thread that Harmonix is completely independent and that Rock Band Blitz is not being distributed by EA in any capacity.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Thanks for rockin' out with our erroneous message, guys.

The whole thing sounds like horrible back pedaling.

Moegames

Banned
So now they are just flat out lying? Wow, impressive. How fucking stupid do they think we are? Wait... don't answer that.

They are taking notes from portions of our current government and banksters.. they figure if they can get away with all they are..why not get a piece of the pie.

The only thing we can do as gamers is stop buying DD..you think EA will be the only company that would consider this..think again! IF EA gets away with it..other companies will follow suit like they always do. Don't allow yourself to be herded like cattle..that's how i look at it.

It's REALLY hard to top stuff like the games to rob people of their homes, but for video games and how rapidly low EA's going they're coming close to truly earning it at the least.

Yes, yes, I must retain my sense of perspective. Theft and lies are bad but there are worse things in this world.

"This is the future of games. If you actually want to own a game you pay for be prepared to stop buying games. Everyone will be doing this, everyone. And it's good for the industry."

Did I do it right? I think I've got his schtick down.

Satisfactory. Not quite the real thing but it will do for now.

onken

So let's this straight:

1) EA puts out message saying the game will end (tailored to the game)
2) Puts a FAQ on its help site confirming it
3) Puts out a press release saying it was "sent in error"
4) Pulls FAQ page

Who the fuck do they think they're kidding?

EA just know what politicians have known forever: lie and use euphemistic terms for your mistakes/transgressions and people will forgive you, generally, because they want something from you.

Top Bottom