• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA disabling purchased copies of Rock Band iOS? [Yes / No / Maybe / Bear's Driving!]

Better than $70

If it's entirely about price, it's not much of a boycott at all.

I believe $10 - $20 is usually what a developer makes on games, anyway, after all is said and done. That's why Project Ten Dollar works, because it strips things from games and makes used buyers get access to them separately.

Boss Man

Did they seriously take down their support page, too? This is like a straight up scam.

...how has no one sued the shit out of EA yet?

Bumhead

Banned
I'm normally a very weak consumer when it comes to stuff like this, but this is absolutely outrageous.

Wondering how much I can go through this year without giving EA any money. What's their schedule like this year?

I'm normally a very weak consumer when it comes to stuff like this, but this is absolutely outrageous.

Wondering how much I can go through this year without giving EA any money. What's their schedule like this year?

-- The Secret World (June 19, 2012)
-- NCAA Football '13 (July 10, 2012)
-- Madden NFL '13 (August 14, 2012)
-- Medal of Honor: Warfighter (October 23, 2012)

snap0212

Why not just rent and/or buy used? You don't ever have to give them any money.

So it comes down to DRM.

Now we're getting somewhere. This has to be one of the most fucked up ways to enforce DRM ever.

I thought it was common practice for companies with always online DRMs to patch it out when going out of business (or shutting down their DRM servers).

It's pretty unbelievable how out of touch a company can be with their audience. But yeah thanks for rocking with us indeed.

larvi

I thought it was common practice for companies with always online DRMs to patch it out when going out of business (or shutting down their DRM servers).

That's the standard line they use but has it ever actually happened? For some reason I can't see any failing company or bankruptcy judge for a failed company allowing money to be spent on patching old titles that won't produce any new revenue stream.

Now we're getting somewhere. This has to be one of the most fucked up ways to enforce DRM ever.

I don't know what would make you think it's common. Always-online DRM is a very new thing and has only been used by a handful of companies in the first place, so there isn't really such thing as a standard practice yet. It's not surprising some companies are just going to not give a shit because why would they?

That's the standard line they use but has it ever actually happened? For some reason I can't see any failing company or bankruptcy judge for a failed company allowing money to be spent on patching old titles that won't produce any new revenue stream.

Removing DRM should be trivial enough that it's cost would be negligible. The potential lawsuits it would prevent makes it more than worthwhile. I'm pretty sure I've heard of such cases, but I can't remember specific examples at the moment.

cacildo

IqoWp.jpg

Remember when they were a great company?

I thought it was common practice for companies with always online DRMs to patch it out when going out of business (or shutting down their DRM )

I'm not sure what you're basing this assumption off of. I'm sure if they were going out of business removing DRM would be the least of their concerns.

It's also a common practice not to shut down your games and take them away from consumers, perhaps graciously letting you rebuy an "updated" version bloated with microtransactions and ads.

This is clearly a company that believes in rising above the common practice.

It's pretty unbelievable how out of touch a company can be with their audience. But yeah thanks for rocking with us indeed.

At least for PC games, we can just replace a couple of files thanks to hackers if it gets to that point. I shudder what the next gen is going to do.

I'm not sure what you're basing this assumption off of. I'm sure if they were going out of business removing DRM would be the least of their concerns.

I remember now I heard this about Steam way back. Here are some quotes:

Gabe Newell posted on this forum that if Steam or Valve were to ever go down they would release a patch removing the DRM from the game files. This was all way back before I had ever heard of Steam and is all hearsay since, apparently, said post was removed.

And this from a mod on their forums:

Authentication would be patched out. It's not speculation.

I'm closing this thread to show that this statement is and always has been true.

Cheers.

So it's sort of an official position for them at least. Other developers should follow suit, but I guess we know the shitty ones won't.

Boss Man

Now that I think about it, what the hell is EA even gaining from this other than bad publicity and lost customers? They're tired of checking to make sure you bought the game, so now, just to be safe, they're going to stop letting anyone play/buy the game. What does that even accomplish?

I guess it's just the assumption that, if they forcibly yank the game from the customers' hands, they will be more likely to buy the next one. I really can't imagine any other thought-process where it would make sense even without the backlash.

SmokyDave

Now that I think about it, what the hell is EA even gaining from this other than bad publicity and lost customers? They're tired of checking to make sure you bought the game, so now, just to be safe, they're going to stop letting anyone play/buy the game. What does that even accomplish?
Coming soon: Rock Band Blitz.

Wow this is really stupid...
Why not remove the online support and let people play..

I can still buy and play my dlc for RB UNPLUGUED so this situation make no sense to me as a consummer

I just tried again and I still can't access the online store to re-download the DLC I bought for the game. The description for the game also say it's comes with 35 songs, but seeing as you have to download most of them that's pretty much a lie.

Can anybody stop EA?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What immense hubris. I wonder what asshole exec gave the directive for this. How could anyone anywhere think this is a good idea? I hope this story explodes and EA gets shit on even more. Such a despicable company.

Eusis

I just tried again and I still can't access the online store to re-download the DLC I bought for the game. The description for the game also say it's comes with 35 songs, but seeing as you have to download most of them that's pretty much a lie.

Can anybody stop EA?
Everyone en masse simply not buying their games. Or you can hope EA just straight up implodes over poor budget management.

Ridley327

Let's hope EA isn't publishing it. I hope Harmonix cuts ties with them from this if they haven't already.

Harmonix is independent now; Rock Band 3 is currently published and distributed by Mad Catz, and as far as I know, Blitz is being self-published. So, nothing to worry about as far as EA is concerned.

I think that only real concern right now is if you're looking out for copies of the previous games and/or track packs, but I would have to think that there's so many of them floating around that it shouldn't be a major issue.

FStop7

Banned
IqoWp.jpg

Remember when they were a great company?

Seems like the downward spiral began once Trip Hawkins left and they tried to erase the fact he ever even existed.

It's been kind of amazing over the past couple of years watching the 'diabolical shithouse' pendulum swing away from Activision back toward EA. Kotick's been very low key since the Infinity Ward meltdown.

Riggs

Banned
It's like never a dull week anymore. Always some crazy fucking story coming out like this. The unbelievable stories like this will just keep coming I guess?

Eusis

Seems like the downward spiral began once Trip Hawkins left and they tried to erase the fact he ever even existed.
Trip Hawkins sued Origin Systems for frivolous reasons just to interfere with their business and try to keep them from developing games. I get the strong impression EA may've started OK, but were ultimately always a terrible company, albeit maybe not always for the same reason.

impact

Banned
Harmonix is independent now; Rock Band 3 is currently published and distributed by Mad Catz, and as far as I know, Blitz is being self-published. So, nothing to worry about as far as EA is concerned.

I think that only real concern right now is if you're looking out for copies of the previous games and/or track packs, but I would have to think that there's so many of them floating around that it shouldn't be a major issue.
What about when Harmonix goes under? It's bound to happen. They only make games in a dead genre.

PaulLFC

Can you review games without buying them on the app store? Doubt it, but if we can, everyone needs to one star Rock Band and tell people what's going on. This is ridiculous.

Card Boy

Banned
The EA shenanigans are a mere drop in the ocean to when people finally wake up and realise that every PSN purchase expires with the PS3....

This is why i haven't bought anything off the PSN for 1.5 years now and buy all multiplatform DD games on PC. I know this is going to happen, the sad this is others haven't.

I trust Microsoft a tiny bit more when it comes to backwards compatible XBLA games.

Top Bottom