• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

That's pretty awesome, although I didn't have any problem with his recordings myself.

Other than quality, I'd guess it helps things be efficient with recording too since you're protected from any external noises that could interrupt a read-through. Like, say, qn early arriving Huber.

Actually, scratch that. Even a VO Booth wouldn't stop a full volume Huber.

jett

D-Member
I'm happy Hollow Knight was brought up during the podcast, although technically not by the Allies. It's the best metroidvania I've played since SotN. Jam-packed with content.

I'm happy Hollow Knight was brought up during the podcast, although technically not by the Allies. It's the best metroidvania I've played since SotN. Jam-packed with content.

I immediately went to see if that was on Switch yet (no specific date yet I think). Between the podcast and other comments I've read around GAF, I can't wait to buy it.

So, i just completed the tutorial area in BOTW but the stamina/weapon durability systems kept me from enjoying any of it. Is this normal or am i just going to be one of the rare people that doesnt love the game?

Karu

Listened to the portion of the podcast in question (RE: KF) and was sorely disappointed. Was hoping for some real drama or shade but it was just "that's not what this podcast is about, moving on." Don't think anything Ian said, like "don't care who they are or what they say" was meant seriously.

Meh. No controversy.

(I say this as someone who casually "supports" Colin.)
I don't understand. I am happy EasyAllies leaves this whole thing by the sideways.

Karu

I'm saying there were people trying to find beef between Ian and Colin and it isn't there lol
Okay, sorry I misunderstood. Oh I would bet money on Ian hating him, but I am glad they didn't make a "thing" of it. You don't want that ridiclious Colin-fanbase touching you, like holy shit.

farisr

Cute, but Jones better forefit the point.
They checked the other most recent comments as well on the spot (because it was such a weird comment) and counted those up, and those would've resulted in Kyle winning, so it still would've been a win for the red eagles either way. So no need to forfeit the point, but maybe next time if Jones wins, Kyle gets to do the final word etc.

dickroach

They checked the other most recent comments as well on the spot (because it was such a weird comment) and counted those up, and those would've resulted in Kyle winning, so it still would've been a win for the red eagles either way. So no need to forfeit the point, but maybe next time if Jones wins, Kyle gets to do the final word etc.

the entire bet, the entire system, has been compromised.
reset the scores.

mishakoz

I've been watching a lot of long form reviews. KingK, matthewmatosis, Joseph Andersen...

I really want to see this kind of stuff one day from the Allies. In their own voice, hopefully

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
K I mean L&R but that doesn't seem like an accurate statement but K lol

It def is it's well documented in that other thread for people to read unless the concept of complicit has no meaning. I think that's all that needs to be said really.

I've been watching a lot of long form reviews. KingK, matthewmatosis, Joseph Andersen...

I really want to see this kind of stuff one day from the Allies. In their own voice, hopefully

Long form analysis has been one of my favorite things on youtube.
I don't think the allies would have the resources to really do it in the sense that they're too tied up on many other fronts.

But let it be known here if there's a game where I could see this happening to maybe it would be Breath of the Wild with Damiani.
Unless Damiani thinks he doesn't have more things to share beyond his review. But man if he thinks he has more in him to share and really deep dive and deconstruct the design of BotW in longform I would love to hear it.

Also haven't heard of this KingK guy will check him out.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It def is it's well documented in that other thread for people to read unless the concept of complicit has no meaning. I think that's all that needs to be said really.

Pretty much. There is no "opinion" to be had. There are the facts that show the kind of person he is and then there are people who are purposefully ignoring those facts or simply ignorant to them.

abrack08

So, i just completed the tutorial area in BOTW but the stamina/weapon durability systems kept me from enjoying any of it. Is this normal or am i just going to be one of the rare people that doesnt love the game?

Depends. You'd have to learn to accept that weapons will break. You are going to constantly have new weapons thrown at you, almost every enemy you defeat drops a weapon. If you're getting frustrated or mad every time a weapon breaks you're not going to enjoy the game. If you can accept that it's not ideal for you but learn to live with it, I think everything else is great enough that you should keep playing.

As for stamina, you can slowly increase the meter but it works the same way the whole game. Really only you know if you'll be able to get past it. I actually really like the stamina personally, figuring out how to climb tall stuff, looking for ledges to rest and stuff, is kinda fun.

mishakoz

Long form analysis has been one of my favorite things on youtube.
I don't think the allies would have the resources to really do it in the sense that they're too tied up on many other fronts.

But let it be known here if there's a game where I could see this happening to maybe it would be Breath of the Wild with Damiani.
Unless Damiani thinks he doesn't have more things to share beyond his review. But man if he thinks he has more in him to share and really deep dive and deconstruct the design of BotW in longform I would love to hear it.

Also haven't heard of this KingK guy will check him out.

I just heard of kingK. I don't think he's as good as matthewmatosis or Joseph Anderson, his videos so far lack structure, but his favorite Zelda is twilight princess so I know he's smart at least.

On a serious note, he's still budding but I like him well enough.

I think long form reviews could be done instead of retros. I know they come with their own problems and difficulties but as someone said a couple pages back, retros are a bit outdated in the modern era. I would love to see a long form review of MGS1 for instance.

Regarding the podcast Waypoint talk

I'm surprised that Jones didn't turn off the waypoint thing in Horizon. That was the first thing I changed, as the default "best path" waypoints don't encourage exploration.

UrbanRats

Disagree with Kyle there.
Splinter Cell Blacklist is some of the most fun ive had last gen, and i can barely remember the plot, it also had the weakest Fisher of them all, probably.

An interesting plot always helps, no matter the game, but i hardly think it's needed for a fun stealth game.

Fluid controls, on the other hand, are a must for me.
Too many stealth games control like shit and sell that as a feature.

Hasney

Since Nier sounds not great on PC and I suddenly remembered PSN takes payment via SMS, looks like I'll start Nier on PS4 right when it downloads...

Hasney

It's not like Nier is a technical masterpiece on PS4 either so beware if you have high standards.

Nah, it was more that playing a Platinum game at 120fps or above was worth waiting for so was going to wait until I got paid and now that's not doable, I may as well just jump in earlier.

WarRock

Not sure when I'll be able to put time into it, but just bought Hollow Knight. It looks right up in my alley and since its release I only hear good things.

Auctopus

Ben has expressed multiple times that he wishes to develop pieces similar to NoClip, Polygon's FF editorial and other long form documentary/journalistic pieces.

I wish him all the luck, I too would love to see them tackle content similar to that (maybe not as in-depth as matthewmatosis).

UrbanRats

Been looking my brother play some hours of this, as i was a backer of the kickstarter.
Looks stunning but i dont think id ever want to play it myself, it seems frustratingly hard.

I loved Ori though.

jett

D-Member
Been looking my brother play some hours of this, as i was a backer of the kickstarter.
Looks stunning but i dont think id ever want to play it myself, it seems frustratingly hard.

I loved Ori though.

It's actually not that hard to be honest.

UrbanRats

It's actually not that hard to be honest.
I finished (and loved) Super Meat Boy and almost finished vvvvvv (abandoned just because other stuff came out, about 70% through), so its not like im completely negated, but i do have a lower tolerance for hard 2d games, maybe cause i am not a big 2d metroidvania fan in the first place, i never finished Symphony of the Night and Super Metroid for the same reason.

I still recommend it if you like the genre.

Ori was easier, and more my speed.

Axass

Hollow Knight is great.

SQ_WiiUDS_HollowKnight.jpg

CI_WiiUDS_HollowKnight_FightFerociousFoes.gif

broken_wanderer.gif

u3Ffq83.gif

industries_arts_141210_Hollow%20Knight_banner9.gif

Ben has expressed multiple times that he wishes to develop pieces similar to NoClip, Polygon's FF editorial and other long form documentary/journalistic pieces.

I wish him all the luck, I too would love to see them tackle content similar to that (maybe not as in-depth as matthewmatosis).

He can do it no doubt. However I fear it would cost him too much time. Maybe if they can get another one or two people as full time, he'll try his hand at it.

Ultimadrago

Just got past the waypoint/contextual instruction portion of the latest podcast. I have to love how LOUD it got. On the subject matter, I'm closer with Ben on that one. Great games (or at least games with solid side content within their world) have less of a problem struggling with the existence of waypoints than games that don't have a world with activities worth my time to begin with.

Speaking purely on a personal level, I love them but they do not make a mediocre game better and the presence of them hardly affects an already great world (asides making it even more efficient to navigate in). In fact, I find myself in the position Jones brought up more where I find lack of details for the sake of it (on a larger scale) more annoying and teeth-gritting than any amount of waypoints/trail markers. In my experience, an applicable game's walking on thinner ice for not including any at all.

Zelda does a great job at this only having it set as a dot (in the midst of nothing if you have not found a corresponding tower) or simply allowing you to set your own in a way that you are encouraged to reach it in the way you want. Though I dislike that you have to look through the Scope or check the map in order to see your waypoint. I could imagine that they didn't want it to muddy the world at all times.

On the in-topic statement of long form reviews, I'll say that I'm not a big fan of Matthewmatosis and find that many times his standard videos are too fluffy or overdrawn without reason. I prefer the consistency of intensely short overviews from uploaders like Writing on Games, Errant Signal or (while not necessarily gaming-focused) kaptainkristian. There are certainly great longer overview videos around, but unless the writer is extremely consistent in quality for those lengths, you can instead have a video at the portion of the time saying as as much for the subject material. I'd like to see work like this from the allies, not going into a game or series for a simple score, but delving into their ideas and core take-off from it.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I just heard of kingK. I don't think he's as good as matthewmatosis or Joseph Anderson, his videos so far lack structure, but his favorite Zelda is twilight princess so I know he's smart at least.

On a serious note, he's still budding but I like him well enough.

I think long form reviews could be done instead of retros. I know they come with their own problems and difficulties but as someone said a couple pages back, retros are a bit outdated in the modern era. I would love to see a long form review of MGS1 for instance.

:p yeah I don't know about that I just like the retros too much. It's def content I'm super into and when I see other people doing something of that vein I always want more of it.
Like Hyperbithero's video on the Yakuza series https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkN9oru-qCQ&t=663s kind of taps into that and it's honestly one of my fav videos. Especially because I watched them at a time I didn't know anything about Yakuza. But checked it out after Huber and Ben were constantly praising the series.

The unfortunate thing for Deus Ex is I was kind of already too familiar with it I honestly didn't learn too many new things from that retro I still appreciate it a lot though.

On the in-topic statement of long form reviews, I'll say that I'm not a big fan of Matthewmatosis and find that many times his standard videos are too fluffy or overdrawn without reason. I prefer the consistency of intensely short overviews from uploaders like Writing on Games, Errant Signal or (while not necessarily gaming-focused) kaptainkristian. There are certainly great longer overview videos around, but unless the writer is extremely consistent in quality for those lengths, you can instead have a video at the portion of the time saying as as much for the subject material. I'd like to see work like this from the allies, not going into a game or series for a simple score, but delving into their ideas and core take-off from it.

I think the overdrawn is fair but I also think that while a talented writer being able to compress stuff to express the same I've hardly seen the shorter review style express any type of insight in the same vein as long pieces did. Fact of the matter just is that I've rarely ever learned anything interesting from the short form style of reviews that is so common be it written or in video form. So while I don't deny most of the longform pieces could profit from a editting pass that might make them tighter they generally do justify about 70-80% of the length with the insight they provide.

Kind of also why I make the distinction that what people like matthewmatosis or joseph anderson do is more akin to analysis and deconstruction but not necessarily review. Like they often try to interpret the creator's intent in certain design and basically make those pieces very interesting by just expressing their own opinion in a very indepth way on it. I think I make the distinction because I feel like the main intent of both works is different. One tries to inform you as concise as possible if a game is worth your time, the other tries to give you a different perspective on a game.

Mista Koo

I don't know, I don't think it fits the EZA brand.

Not that I can actually define what the EZA brand is lol.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know, I don't think it fits the EZA brand.

Not that I can actually define what the EZA brand is lol.

Seems pretty silly to make up imaginary restrictions for content types, when EZA does Gundam building streams(and they're awesome) among many other things that are a bit out there. If I see any restrictions for the EZA brand if you want to call it that in this context they're more of philosophical nature if anything. Like don't be hateful, don't be toxic, stuff like that honestly. Basically I don't feel like that's a well thought out reason that holds any water. If they'd decide to do I just don't see how it would be out of place at all. Things like production cost or if they themselves simply don't have any interest in doing stuff like that I think weight far stronger.

But maybe I'm wrong.

Joqu

was there something wrong with the audio/mics on this week's podcast. a little hard on the ears

lots of crackling, yeah? pretty annoying

edit now I'm done watching: amazing podcast episode though, man. I love how much they got into it this week

Ultimadrago

I think the overdrawn is fair but I also think that while a talented writer being able to compress stuff to express the same I've hardly seen the shorter review style express any type of insight in the same vein as long pieces did. Fact of the matter just is that I've rarely ever learned anything interesting from the short form style of reviews that is so common be it written or in video form. So while I don't deny most of the longform pieces could profit from a editting pass that might make them tighter they generally do justify about 70-80% of the length with the insight they provide.

Kind of also why I make the distinction that what people like matthewmatosis or joseph anderson do is more akin to analysis and deconstruction but not necessarily review. Like they often try to interpret the creator's intent in certain design and basically make those pieces very interesting by just expressing their own opinion in a very indepth way on it. I think I make the distinction because I feel like the main intent of both works is different. One tries to inform you as concise as possible if a game is worth your time, the other tries to give you a different perspective on a game.

Fair enough. I certainly wouldn't mind some the Allies trying it out. I'm one of the people always saying they appreciate the expansion/discussion of thoughts sometimes found in Frametrap/Podcast working off of recent reviews, so that would be of similar breed as well. I'm interested in seeing what's on the whiteboard for new 2017 content for EZA; I would like that to be in the pool.

Mista Koo

Seems pretty silly to make up imaginary restrictions for content types, when EZA does Gundam building streams(and they're awesome) among many other things that are a bit out there. If I see any restrictions for the EZA brand if you want to call it that in this context they're more of philosophical nature if anything. Like don't be hateful, don't be toxic, stuff like that honestly. Basically I don't feel like that's a well thought out reason that holds any water. If they'd decide to do I just don't see how it would be out of place at all. Things like production cost or if they themselves simply don't have any interest in doing stuff like that I think weight far stronger.

But maybe I'm wrong.
I don't know. I think it makes sense that a channel shouldn't be about anything and everything.* And I don't think an in-depth analysis of a game matches the other content they make in tone or target audience.
But hey, I've heard that Playboy's gaming articles are genuinely great so ¯_(ツ)_/¯

*Which is why I don't like Easy Update and don't consider it a show. I still watch it every week for Ian (and because I have a lot of free time).

It would get less harsh with upgradable stamina and larger inventories. Also there are other stuff you will find like horses that mitigate running for example. But yeah they are not going away.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know. I think it makes sense that a channel shouldn't be about anything and everything.* And I don't think an in-depth analysis of a game matches the other content they make in tone or target audience.
But hey, I've heard that Playboy's gaming articles are genuinely great so ¯_(ツ)_/¯

*Which is why I don't like Easy Update and don't consider it a show. I still watch it every week for Ian (and because I have a lot of free time).

I mean that's totally fair if you feel that way. It just wasn't clearly expressed as such that's why I was basically arguing that's not necessarily the reality for the type of content EZA produces at least in so far as I perceive it with like you said the randomness of mandatory update, don's discount gaming, anime podcast, trial of Kyle Bosman, etc etc.
The reality is that the spectrum is incredibly broad and probably will only get broader.

Edit: Lol catching up on BvW and I'm dying at the Cranston bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom