• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tankard

It would at 40k, I'm not entirely sure at 45k. Are there that many people that:

1) Are aware of Easy Allies
2) Are aware of The Final Bosman
3) Are not currently backing to what they can afford each month (because remember, they said with story time that if it drops below, it's gone)

I'd hope to be wrong because I'd love the show, but I honestly believe that there's not a huge amount of people that are willing or able to back EZA that are fans and just haven't. It's just about exposure now.

EDIT: Do a week delay on $10 Patrons or higher on Bowman though and we'll probably see a decent uptick.

I know i'd up my pledge.

Drencrom

new shows??? may be... a Final Bosman???

oh, who am I kidding...

It's been more than a year since the cancellation of The Final Bosman... I want to believe!

3) Are not currently backing to what they can afford each month (because remember, they said with story time that if it drops below, it's gone)

I'd hope to be wrong because I'd love the show, but I honestly believe that there's not a huge amount of people that are willing or able to back EZA that are fans and just haven't. It's just about exposure now.

EDIT: Do a week delay on $10 Patrons or higher on Bowman though and we'll probably see a decent uptick.

I think it's very likely that they would reach 45k if a Bosman show was a goal.

I honestly believe the main thing EZA is missing is a current events "Final Bosman" type of show. Something that can catch the eye of a more casual audience that doesn't have the time for a podcast or prefers a briefer show with some production focusing usually on whatever is the current story of interest for the week.

Final Bosman was the thing that initially introduced me to GT back in the day and i'm sure many others as well. Every other show EZA basically has is an acquired taste (i've luckily acquired them all), but Kyle's enthusiasm, sense of humor and knowledge I think could draw many, many more eyes to all of their shows as a whole.

A few days or a week delay is a good idea and I think would be a better approach than reaching x amount of $'s for it to unlock. He said he didn't want it tied to Patreon, and I feel that reduces the "pressure" he'd feel.

Whatever they do, excited for the future. I'm 100% thrilled how this first year went and I'm excited whatever they do next.

Thoroughly enjoying watching the rerun of their debut stream. What a year. Can't wait to see what comes next.

Happy anniversary Allies! Here's to countless more!

Charamiwa

Banned
That was a very promising Cup of Jones, totally the opposite of the "coasting" attitude we were talking about. Feels good, can't wait for the Thursday stream.

Also, I hope we get some impressions from gaffers going to the concert.

Sorry but I completely missed that discussion. What would coasting mean in this context?

Auctopus

Fuck it, just give Huber a video game based game show to host with other Allies and guests as contestants.

It was pretty silly but I already suggested a few weeks ago that there should be a monthly or quartley quiz show hosted by Huber that covers gaming news etc. from the last period of time since the last quiz.

It could be Red Eagles vs Purple Platypi and they could use their podcast points to bet etc.

farisr

Had to make a lot of hard cuts for week 11's video. Still ended up being the longest one yet. I'll just pretend it's a little longer than usual cause it's the anniversary. LOL.

Round Two video is likely going to be even longer. The Gundam stream was gold.

(also, cutting it close, it's rendering right now, then need to upload it as well, wonder if I'll make it by 9pm ET)

Happy Anniversary, Easy Allies! Here's the new OT design. There's a few things missing right now, even some notable absences but I wanted to create a new foundation for an OT that can be added to fast & loose in the future. There's also some information that could be communicated in a more "fun" way but it's a work in progress! The BB Code is a lot simpler and relies more on images now so it should load nice and fast.

There's links to all of EZA's sites etc. so it should be pretty intuitive for new fans as well! L&R.

Please take a look if you get the chance and let me know any critiques or additions that you think should be made.

Looks great. One little nitpick I have is Tabletop Escapades kinda looks like Tablet Op Escapades in that font. If you can reduce the gap between the T and the O, that'd be great.

I think it'd be cool if you also included a link to farisr's Best Of series somewhere in there:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOWhKJpgA4f7qraUU2fEsqEJBPmyH_uMT

Damiani was the wrong choice for this panel. He's often silent on podcasts, but pairing him up with 3 that are very close to each other made him even more silent.

On a Zelda heavy podcast? No way. He also gets bonus points with me for being the only one who even seemed to know about the Gravity Rush 2 DLC.

CyReN

Had to make a lot of hard cuts for week 11's video. Still ended up being the longest one yet. I'll just pretend its a little longer than usual cause it's the anniversary. LOL.

Round Two video is likely going to be even longer. The Gundam stream was gold.

(also, cutting it close, it's rendering right now, then need to upload it as well, wonder if I'll make it by 9pm ET)

Are you the SomeGameNews channel? If so, loving the videos.

Dineren

Banned
Listening to Frame Trap now and I'm kind of surprised that everyone hates the combat in the original Nier. I just played through it a week ago and while it wasn't great it seemed totally competent at least.

That aside, this is a great podcast, I've really been missing out.

WarRock

That wrestling moment in Frame Trap, hehe. Damiani with the surprise know how while Ben kept trying to follow Brad and Huber was 10/10.

The break after the what are you playing section is a good idea! Totally should use the "break time~" soundbite from Feel the Magic XX/XY (where's my sequel Sega!?) tho. And the Silver Case discussion tease right after...

Also want to mention that youtube is recommending me trap music collections during this FT episode.

Fou-Lu

Listening to Frame Trap now and I'm kind of surprised that everyone hates the combat in the original Nier. I just played through it a week ago and while it wasn't great it seemed totally competent at least.

I agree with you. I had heard so much bad about the gameplay before playing it that I was super surprised to find completely serviceable and often fun gameplay.

ShadyK54

That wrestling moment in Frame Trap, hehe. Damiani with the surprise know how while Ben kept trying to follow Brad and Huber was 10/10.

Going by Ben's twitter, it seems Huber is going to brush him up a little bit on some wrestling knowledge soon lol.

I'm watching older Fiasconauts and man are some of these great. White Hole was really, really good.

--

I think it's time to fully jump into Nier (Ben's review got me excited all over again). Zelda is starting to bore me and it sucks cause I bought a Switch for this game. I'm having that terrible feeling that Huber once talked about, where it sucks and you feel bad that you can't enjoy and see what others are seeing in a game.

WarRock

The instant Huber said he wouldn't give five stars to his favorite game I thought "How big are the flaws in RE2 for you Huber??" and seconds later he admits he would give five stars for RE2 lol.

Servbot24

Banned
The instant Huber said he wouldn't give five stars to his favorite game I thought "How big are the flaws in RE2 for you Huber??" and seconds later he admits he would give five stars for RE2 lol.
MegaMan X is my favorite game and I give it 4.5 stars
Metroid Prime is my 2nd favorite and I give it 5 stars

mishakoz

Yea, I would give my favorite game 5 stars, maybe even 100/100 but doesn't mean they are flawless. I don't believe there is a flawless game, even if you exclude nitpicks.

WarRock

Oh, I do agree, it's just that from everything I've heard about RE2 from Huber, there is no way he wouldn't give it less than five stars.

Gogo_ZvC

Anyone here going to be at the event? Take some pics if ya can for the rest of us!

Would love to know what the limited edition merch is.

Servbot24

Banned
Yea, I would give my favorite game 5 stars, maybe even 100/100 but doesn't mean they are flawless. I don't believe there is a flawless game, even if you exclude nitpicks.
Even a hypothetical flawless game could potentially lack the profound emotional resonance of a flawed game like The Last Guardian or something.

Joqu

Even a hypothetical flawless game could potentially lack the profound emotional resonance of a flawed game like The Last Guardian or something.

I mean, the lack of such resonance could be considered a flaw too if one felt so inclined. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In honor of the one year anniversary I share their announcement video. What an amazing year

https://youtu.be/SXrab4xqyvg

Also they're getting real close to 40k again. If they announce some good tiers and stretch goal shows it'll easily hit it.

Id bump up my pledge but the $75 tier isn't compelling enough for me and so it's staying where it's at for now. Maybe one month or so I'd do the d&d tier just to have a great dm ben session

Servbot24

Banned
I mean, the lack of such resonance could be considered a flaw too if one felt so inclined. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
True, but I would say there's a certain level of emotional satisfaction where you feel great about a game and could not really critique that aspect of it, and there's a level of transcedence, a game which achieves something you would never imagine asking of other games (something like Journey for me).

mishakoz

True, but I would say there's a certain level of emotional satisfaction where you feel great about a game and could not really critique that aspect of it, and there's a level of transcedence, a game which achieves something you would never imagine asking of other games (something like Journey for me).

Journey is probably as close to a perfect game as they come, as close to flawless as you can get just because the game is pretty lean.

I'm sure some would disagree but I think if you like Journey is difficult to find fault with what it executes.

I mean, if we're talking games that achieve what they set out to do flawlessly, I think you can't do much better than Tetris.

The question is, do you reward games that try to do more? Is Ocarina of Time a better game than Tetris? OoT undoubtedly has more flaws. What about Metal Gear Solid? Same deal.

Joqu

Is a perfect digital conversion of Chess an example of a game with flawless execution? Of course you could go and seek faults within the game of chess itself, but my video game version didn't set out to change the game of chess. So could it be considered perfect?

I'm not sure where I'm going with this. ... flawlessly executed games can be pretty unremarkable? I've never gotten into chess. :p

mishakoz

Is a perfect digital conversion of Chess an example of a game with flawless execution? Of course you could go and seek faults within the game of chess itself, but my video game version didn't set out to change the game of chess. So could it be considered perfect?

I'm not sure where I'm going with this. ... flawlessly executed games can be pretty unremarkable? I've never gotten into chess. :p

Personal preference isn't really a flaw. I'd say yes, chess is a flawless game, and if you like it, it may be perfect.

Mario007

I mean, if we're talking games that achieve what they set out to do flawlessly, I think you can't do much better than Tetris.

The question is, do you reward games that try to do more? Is Ocarina of Time a better game than Tetris? OoT undoubtedly has more flaws. What about Metal Gear Solid? Same deal.

For me personally, I appreciate ambition. I don't necessarily like a competenty made game that didn't really set out to do anything interesting. On the other hand a game that has crazy ambition and fails I can get behind.

Servbot24

Banned
For practical human purposes chess is a 10/10, perfect game.

A perfect digital conversion is also a 10/10, perfect game based on mechanics, yet it can still be lacking compared to playing in a personal, intimate setting on a physical board with pieces you can touch and wood that you can smell.

Massa

You shouldn't rate games based on how "perfect" they are but you don't really do it as a reward either.

A reviewer's score is supposed to tell me how much that person liked a game, simple as that.

mishakoz

BMl8BTah.jpg

Soulsbourne is the next retro

You shouldn't rate games based on how "perfect" they are but you don't really do it as a reward either.

A reviewer's score is supposed to tell me how much that person liked a game, simple as that.
The disconnected "objective" review is very much a relic from the 90s

Gamespot for instance had a scoring system that rated games based on function and quality that would get added up into the total. So even if they didn't really love a game it'd still automatically be required to have a certain score. Then they'd have reviewer's tilt that could either slightly bump or drop the final score based on their feelings

I can see the value in it if you're looking for "is this a well made product" but if you're looking for the thoughts of likeminded people it's not the most helpful approach

On this talk of flaws and perfect scores, personally:

I don't think flaws should detract from the final score of a game so long as the experience warrants the perfect score. Flaws are so inherently subjective in nature outside of the few testable things in gaming such as framerate, controls, responsiveness and so on that attempting to define flaw is an impossible task let alone the definition of perfect.

I'd give something like Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen a 10/10 any day of the week. And I could probably write the most scathing critique of that game filled to the brim with all the flaws it has and make it sound like a terrible game overall.

Edit: Took so long to formulate what I wanted to say that Brian said it faster and better.

Soulsborne is the retro? Nice!

I want an Otogi hat tip!

I agree. I do think it's a valid metric, I just don't find it an extremely useful one. Games that take risks and try to do more push the medium forward, and I think that has inherent value.

Obviously, executing an idea correctly is important too...

wmlk

I think people get into hyperbole to try to compare it to Automata's combat. A lot of Automata's combat elements are borrowed straight out of the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom