• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charamiwa

Banned
Okay, yeah thats annoying. Still not as bad as Fi or past Zelda's but i bet you there is one for lighting strike

How is that annoying? It's a pop up that comes out when you're in a middle of doing it, that doesn't interrupt anything, and you can very easily ignore. It just explains what's going on the first time it happens, and then never again. It's straight out of games like GTA.

I know we're being very picky with that whole "show, don't tell" thing, but let's not go overboard. Especially with a game that goes out of his way to not tutorialize its systems.

Nasbin

Was all excited to start Nier: A today... turn on the game, go into the menu to change voices to Japanese because weeb, and the text is mangled AF. So I can't play.

That's a bummer. Waste of $50.

This thread has some tips on things you can do to try and fix it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/comments/6445ng/psa_useu_104_appears_to_have_the_broken_english/
Uninstalling and reinstalling, getting to a point that you can save, and then patching seems like the most consistent fix.

Cosmic Star Heroine, Child of Light, and The Stick of Truth are all straight up JRPGs in any reasonably useful sense of the term. If someone starts a thread in gaming asking for JRPG recommendations, 99% of the time they're just asking for Dragon Quest-likes, not games that happened to be produced in the nation state of Japan.

And 99% of those threads will have NieR, Tales of, Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy XV recommendations while barely any of the games you just mentioned will be featured. Hell, even Dragon Quest isn't that traditional anymore.

I just don't think it's a simple as turn-based == JRPG. I haven't played CSH yet but those other games you mentioned still feel like Western games, with Western game design philosophies behind them.

abrack08

I don't think it was the Ben v Brad delay, chat was still talking about the bad news after they announced Ben v Brad was delayed to next week and Kristen said "They won't talk about it. They're under embargo." Seems like whatever it is has to do with a real embargo

jett

D-Member
lol just watched Kyle getting destroyed online in Tetris. That was some crazy play, what incredible setups in regular Puyo Puyo too. I think the thing with Bosman v Wozniak is that playing Tetris once a week just doesn't cut it.

lol just watched Kyle getting destroyed online in Tetris. That was some crazy play, what incredible setups in regular Puyo Puyo too. I think the thing with Bosman v Wozniak is that playing Tetris once a week just doesn't cut it.
What's funny is during the early weeks of BvW Kyle would say he was playing during the week. At times he'd even get high scores and talk about it on the stream, without revealing the score

At a certain point he became too busy and I think stopped playing off stream. He may have even said at one point he wants to play with everyone there (but I honestly can't remember)

I imagine the pressure of breaking the score off stream and potentially never recreating it on-stream sucks, but I agree that there's no progress to be made playing once a week late at night. Worsened with weeks of no streams at times.

After 400k was broken the sense of progress definitely plateau'd and even went downhill for a while. Lately has been consistent with higher scores, which is nice. But the goal isn't to get consistent 400k runs anymore :/

VanWinkle

I'm watching Frame Trap, and...this is REALLY weird. Like, Huber leaves during the entire P5 discussion, and then they start talking about Nier and Brad leaves. What?They're doing spoiler-free discussions, aren't they? Their discussions are of the same type all of the time and I've never seen this happen.

edit: I see it's already been discussed plenty. I guess I see both sides, but I still think it's really weird personally. Either be as spoiler-free as possible, don't discuss the game at all, or get people that have already played/don't care.

Modern Tetris is really different from GB Tetris. Seems almost like its own game.

Hard drop, Crazy t-spins and everything else change the meta

Hasney

I only listened to one episode of 8-4 where this happened. I did find it a bit weird. But:
  1. It wasn't on cam.

Ah, this might be the big disconnect that we're having. I'm listening to it in pocket casts, not watching it. I can see why it would be more noticeable on the video version.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Thanks :) I live for this. Making people happy with Puyo Puyo Tetris.

More like training under a waterfall every day for a decade, only to finally emerge when it's time to show the world your power.

Modern Tetris really is a completely different game. I mean I could tell that Kyle knew what he was doing from how cleanly he can stack for Tetrises, but Tetrises are ironically a low-power technique now.

Anaithsol

Neo Member
Anaithsol hooking Ben up with some Japanese 3DS and game loot!

Ben got 3 months to learn Japanese :p

Ha! I admit, I was really curious to see the reaction from all the allies when I sent in that package due to the heavy focus on a language none of them really understood or spoke.

I had asked Damiani earlier last week about whether or not he or the other allies collected Japanese games that have released internationally and the answer was that it largely depended on the franchise but that Ben was the most likely person to appreciate stuff of that nature. After a bit of research with Ben's recent streams, I noticed his hype after Dragon Quest XI's recent stream event and decided my course of action shortly after.

I'm hoping that coverage of the 3DS release of DQXI isn't too difficult so that we can all benefit from my gift for when the time comes.

Hasney

What's the deal with the pro controller complaints in Puyo Puyo Tetris? Is it the same as that guy who had a thread where the up was registering on left/right? If so, mine doesn't seem to have that in calibration, so I should be fine.

Might mess around with the demo later.

Wow, Kyle, you have to stop being so darn cool. I recently started Bosman v. Wozniak and just got to week 16. Never expected to hear some Jack White from the stream.

Anaithsol

Neo Member
What's the deal with the pro controller complaints in Puyo Puyo Tetris? Is it the same as that guy who had a thread where the up was registering on left/right? If so, mine doesn't seem to have that in calibration, so I should be fine.

That seemed to be the issue. Personally, I've found that the Pro Controller's D-pad was fairly stiff and not that much of an improvement over the Joy-Con's approach.

I'm curious to see how they would take to Power A's Comfort Joy-Con Grip accessory. After using it myself, I couldn't go back to the Pro Controller nor justify its price.

abrack08

Yeah it was that same issue that thread was about. Sometimes pushing left or right also registers as an up or down, which is why they were accidentally slamming down Tetris pieces in bad spots. I haven't played Puyo Puyo Tetris, or anything else requiring the D Pad, but I did go into the Switch input test thing and mess around and it seems like mine will probably have this issue (alternating rapidly between left and right resulted in an errant up or down in between more than 50% of the time).

N° 2048

lol same shit happens to all my Dualshock 4s.

If I press right on Dpad it sometimes (rare but annoying when it does happen) registers up.

diablogod

If I press right on Dpad it sometimes (rare but annoying when it does happen) registers up.

I feel like it's a much much rarer issue on the DS4. The Switch Pro controller is extremely bad and I notice it frequently. My cheap 3rd party iBuffalo SNES controller this doesn't happen at all.

MrMette

I had this on one of my PS1 or PS2 gamepads. Because the L2 button sometimes got stuck, I opened up my controller and after opening it up I saw that there was a plastic divider under the D-pad that broke off (and apparently it sometimes got stuck under the L2 button).
After I removed the broken off plastic part, the controller worked fine again, except that if you pressed not completely right or left, it would also register up or down as well on one side (I only removed the loose part).

It's the white part on the left on this picture:
98226652_5c09f27287_z.jpg

I'm not sure if they still look the same inside, but it is at least possible for the Playstation controllers.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
If Brad, Bosman and Ian are all digging it and Ben has finished, I can't see a reason why it won't happen. Even if it's just Brad and Ben that finish it.

Don't forget Damiani is on his way to likely finish it this week or the next.
I was expressing some concerns in chat that him crit pathing the game might not make for a good fit for a spoiler mode and be a better fit for a Frame Trap cause based on personal preference I'd love a Spoiler mode to focus on and dive more into story discussions + their own findings/interpretations and not so much gameplay discussion but I think that concern could likely be unfounded(and I'll also apologize here if the backseatiness of that comment was annoying). Cause sometimes I kind of just forget that people can approach games differently. Especially Nier:A where people might want to get the main stuff out of the way before they dive into side stuff or where they experience that stuff partly outside of the game itself. Like for me Dark Souls was very much that way where I would look at things and develop vague thoughts but only would form more concise opinion after tuning into the DS lore community and listening to their various interpretations.
In retrospect I think I jumped the gun especially given that Damiani has generally showcased when it matters that he does his research very well. He's the Game Sleuth after all.

Ha! I admit, I was really curious to see the reaction from all the allies when I sent in that package due to the heavy focus on a language none of them really understood or spoke.

I had asked Damiani earlier last week about whether or not he or the other allies collected Japanese games that have released internationally and the answer was that it largely depended on the franchise but that Ben was the most likely person to appreciate stuff of that nature. After a bit of research with Ben's recent streams, I noticed his hype after Dragon Quest XI's recent stream event and decided my course of action shortly after.

I'm hoping that coverage of the 3DS release of DQXI isn't too difficult so that we can all benefit from my gift for when the time comes.

It's very cool that people are going to get a taste of DQXI when it hits in a couple of months so great present!
I have no doubts that JP EZA will support Ben in case he requires it when the time comes. + I wouldn't also worry given that DQ games are in my opinion games that are very friendly to people that don't understand Japanese/are great games to also start practicing Japanese for advanced beginners.

Hope they figure out the 3ds capture, I saw in Twitch chat someone offering to mod the 3ds so you can capture footage. So maybe that's something they want to explore.

abrack08

I was expressing some concerns in chat that him crit pathing the game might not make for a good fit for a spoiler mode and be a better fit for a Frame Trap cause based on personal preference I'd love a Spoiler mode to focus on and dive more into story discussions + their own findings/interpretations and not so much gameplay discussion but I think that concern could likely be unfounded(and I'll also apologize here if the backseatiness of that comment was annoying). Cause sometimes I kind of just forget that people can approach games differently. Especially Nier:A where people might want to get the main stuff out of the way before they dive into side stuff or where they experience that stuff partly outside of the game itself. Like for me Dark Souls was very much that way where I would look at things and develop vague thoughts but only would form more concise opinion after tuning into the DS lore community and listening to their various interpretations.
In retrospect I think I jumped the gun especially given that Damiani has generally showcased when it matters that he does his research very well. He's the Game Sleuth after all.

I only watched when he started Route B but he was skipping through dialogue and cutscenes. Some of it was repeats, yeah, but some of it was new stuff. Not sure if he didn't know some scenes were new/different or if he was just blitzing through to get to C, but there is some good stuff in B...

arkon

Hope they figure out the 3ds capture, I saw in Twitch chat someone offering to mod the 3ds so you can capture footage. So maybe that's something they want to explore.

Don't they have it figured out already? That's how they grabbed footage for Brandon Sun Kyle Moon right?

abrack08

Don't they have it figured out already? That's how they grabbed footage for Brandon Sun Kyle Moon right?

I think they can only capture from the old OG 3DS they have, whatever they have presumably wouldn't work on a Japanese New 3DS (Ben was discussing capturing footage for the Japanese version of DQ11 after he received a Japanese 3DS as a gift)

Hasney

I've not watched Damiani play, but the new cutscenes are fairly obvious in route B.. Hopefully he knows what they are because they add so much context going into the C path.

damianai said he was not having much fun with automata tho, not sure if he can actively partecipate in the spoiler mode
That has no bearing on being in the show. See FFXV

TTE was good
I like that they took the cheese for more lore explanations. Something they don't usually do. Also the new villians seem cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom