• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
I wish they would go back to part 2 and continue the story from there. Part 3 is so weak. I mean, man. Its just "monster of the week" type stuff now. Kind of sucks.

I can't deal with this.

Honestly for me JoJo just keeps getting better and better.

Mikey Jr.

I can't deal with this.

Honestly for me JoJo just keeps getting better and better.

Really?

I am watching part 3 right now, and after half of the episodes I've seen, I say to myself "I could have skipped this..."

How in the crap does anyone like the structure of part 3. I remember when they ran out of the tarot cards. I was like "Yes! Finally! No more bad guy of the week!"

Then they introduce the Egyptian cards and I literally out loud said "Fuck". It just feels so lazy, especially coming out of part 1 and 2. Just throwing these bad guys out one after the other, no stakes. No progression. Just pure fluff.

When this is done, I'll probably buy blu ray of part 1 and 2, and that'll be the Jojo collection to me.

Ray Down

Banned
Part 3 rocks, villain of the day format works due to the powers, the bizarre characters and overall fun/goofy factor of the series itself and it's scenarios.

3 suffers the most due to stands being just introduced and not being overly complicated and stranded.

4 onward have awesome stands where fights/scenarios are basically puzzles rather than generic energy battles.

munchie64

Really?

I am watching part 3 right now, and after half of the episodes I've seen, I say to myself "I could have skipped this..."

How in the crap does anyone like the structure of part 3. I remember when they ran out of the tarot cards. I was like "Yes! Finally! No more bad guy of the week!"

Then they introduce the Egyptian cards and I literally out loud said "Fuck". It just feels so lazy, especially coming out of part 1 and 2. Just throwing these bad guys out one after the other, no stakes. No progression. Just pure fluff.

When this is done, I'll probably buy blu ray of part 1 and 2, and that'll be the Jojo collection to me.
For me, it's like how Kyle describes it. The story is even more simple than the first two parts but individual episodes taken as short stories by themselves are some of the best JoJo moments ever.

My problem with Part 3 stems from the fact that sometimes the villains aren't interesting and simply because of the road trip nature of the part they really don't affect anything after them (for the most part). I'd say 4 is way better than establishing villains and having them change and grow along with the single setting of the part.

And to anyone really into JoJo's but wishing it'd move away from villain of the week, I'm sorry to say that it sounds like it'll never go back (I only watch the anime, but it seems that's the case).

Kneefoil

For the same reason they streamed Persona 5 intro with Tank! from Cowboy Bebop replacing the actual music, and a video of someone flying on a cloud in Final Fantasy XIV (?) with Dragon Ball music playing instead of the game's own sounds. I'm not sure if it's Damiani just sharing videos he likes, or if he's actually made these videos himself while he practiced video editing.

As a massive Marvel Vs Capcom fan (2 is easily in my top 5 favorite games of all time) I can't help but feel rather disappointed by what they've shown of Infonite so far. What we've seen looks so incredibly underwhelming from an art and graphic design standpoint and the fact that it's coming out in September tells me that it's unlikely to improve much before release. Never would I have imagined not being hyped for a new MvC but with the way it looks and the awful way Street Fighter 5 was handled I find myself not only decidedly unhyped but genuinely wary. Am I the only one feeling this way?

I'm really hoping the allies talk about the recent trailer and the marketing of the game in an upcoming podcast because I really do feel like it's worth talking about and discussing.

Visceir

For the same reason they streamed Persona 5 intro with Tank! from Cowboy Bebop replacing the actual music, and a video of someone flying on a cloud in Final Fantasy XIV (?) with Dragon Ball music playing instead of the game's own sounds. I'm not sure if it's Damiani just sharing videos he likes, or if he's actually made these videos himself while he practiced video editing.

Some 4chan tier content, definitely suitable for the official easy allies twitch channel.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Huber Syndrome -$4,000 per month
Tabletop Escapades -$6,000 per month
Easy Update -$8,000 per month
Frame Trap -$10,000 per month
Reviews -$15,000 per month
Troll Memes!!!!!!!!! -$20,000 per month
Retrospectives -$30,000 per month
The Easy Allies Movie Podcast AND The 2nd Nintendo Podcast (Name forthcoming) -$40,000 per month
Trailer Jones-$45,000 per month
A Gundam Shelf -$50,000 per month

Auctopus

The Easy Allies Movie Podcast AND The 2nd Nintendo Podcast (Name forthcoming) -$40,000 per month

6lOjvPd.png

Guessing this is you then?

Deimo5

As a massive Marvel Vs Capcom fan (2 is easily in my top 5 favorite games of all time) I can't help but feel rather disappointed by what they've shown of Infonite so far. What we've seen looks so incredibly underwhelming from an art and graphic design standpoint and the fact that it's coming out in September tells me that it's unlikely to improve much before release. Never would I have imagined not being hyped for a new MvC but with the way it looks and the awful way Street Fighter 5 was handled I find myself not only decidedly unhyped but genuinely wary. Am I the only one feeling this way?

I'm really hoping the allies talk about the recent trailer and the marketing of the game in an upcoming podcast because I really do feel like it's worth talking about and discussing.

Maybe in a broader sense of 'whats going on with Capcom?'. I think the only time they mentioned MvC before was the story about Evo fan voting for the ninth tournament spot.

Auctopus

To be honest, I've felt Infinite is just a continuation of the bad parts of 3 so I've not been that hyped on it.

Could you be more specific?

I can't put my finger on why I'm not as excited/interested in the game despite putting a lot of
Hours in to the previous title. Maybe SFV (whilst unrelated) has soured me somewhat.

Hasney

Could you be more specific?

I can't put my finger on why I'm not as excited/interested in the game despite putting a lot of
Hours in to the previous title. Maybe SFV (whilst unrelated) has soured me somewhat.

I didn't like the art of it, even coming after the MUGEN-like ripped sprites of 2, it felt a lot slower and lost a lot of the chaos of 2.

On the other hand to you, I adore SFV. I only really want one main fighting game at a time and SFV handles that. The other ones I play, I just want a various amount of chaos. It's why I dropped off Tekken when the silly side games started also dropping off

Auctopus

I didn't like the art of it, even coming after the MUGEN-like ripped sprites of 2, it felt a lot slower and lost a lot of the chaos of 2.

On the other hand to you, I adore SFV. I only really want one main fighting game at a time and SFV handles that. The other ones I play, I just want a various amount of chaos. It's why I dropped off Tekken when the silly side games started also dropping off

Yeah, that's understandable. I loved the sprites from MvC2 though.

I might wait on the game, see how the meta/eco-system develops. SFV has been a bit of a rollercoaster for me and I'm not that satisfied by the support.

I've been considered Tekken 7 this year too, especially after what Ben and Damiani have said (I know it's pretty different but I don't really handle multiple fighting games at once).

MvCI looks bad, I agree. The art style is just all sorts of bad and given the insider posts stating how it'll be aimed more at casuals, I'm not expecting much depth nor for it to be an interesting game to watch competitively compared to predecessors.

That and the roster feels really safe so far. We already have DLC characters announced (without knowing most of the cast). And the netcode will probably suck if SFV is any indication.

2vs2, no assists, gems, aimed at casuals, terrible artstyle. I have no idea why Capcom thought marketing that game this way was a good idea but the only way I see it working is if the mainstream audience eats it up. Which I'm not entirely convinced will happen.

Edit: The game better have 50+ characters at launch or something similar to justify how much Capcom is reusing assets.

Hasney

Yeah, that's understandable. I loved the sprites from MvC2 though.

I might wait on the game, see how the meta/eco-system develops. SFV has been a bit of a rollercoaster for me and I'm not that satisfied by the support.

I've been considered Tekken 7 this year too, especially after what Ben and Damiani have said (I know it's pretty different but I don't really handle multiple fighting games at once).

Yeah, I learned from last gen, I don't have fun juggling multiple fighting games if they're not gimmick ones like Persona.

I do like most of the MVC2 sprites, but some of them are just ripped from old games. Morrigan has artifacts all around her. Even then, I appreciate they just went for more characters even if some of them are a little janky!

Auctopus

I do like most of the MVC2 sprites, but some of them are just ripped from old games. Morrigan has artifacts all around her. Even then, I appreciate they just went for more characters even if some of them are a little janky!

Oh that's fair, I was only a kid when I played MvC2 so I probably didn't notice technical issues as much back then.

Your comment also reminded me of the possibility of a Persona 5 FG in the next couple years or so. I think there was even a URL ownership notification the other week.

Mista Koo

Question about the group stream: does the P4 duel have any spoilers? I'm fine with seeing characters, I just don't want to hear plot details.

Axass

The group stream was fantastic, Tuesdays need more stuff like this, the tournaments and the Hall of Greats. Team B was robbed though, Team A's level was far inferior IMO. BTW sometimes I don't really get Don, I mean he seems kinda oblivious to how loved he and his shows are by the fans; for example when Kyle said to keep the new level he made for a new Don's Design Lab he said "whatever, I don't care"... and I was like :(

Anyway everything in general is way better at EZA ever since the anniversary passed: more (unexpected) reviews, don't skips, the two new podcasts are great, two back to back Cup of Jones (both formidable btw), Spoiler Mode, more structured EZAnime, they're getting back on track with some stuff and the group streams keep getting better.

If they keep this level of quality up, and with E3 right around the corner, they're getting to 45k no doubt.

A lot of the new content does seem to be passion projects which just need some planning and the small amounts of editing, so it shouldn't break anyone. And if Ben wasn't broken by this review season, nothing will break him.

Ben is unbreakable.

On a less snarky and sarcastic note, an update on Game Sleuth would be appreciated. Damiani said tentatively April so it can't be that far off, I hope it comes out during the first part of May, unless they want to keep it on hold to show it during the E3 livestream like last year (that's gonna hamper the Youtube views though, people aren't going to watch it twice).

ShadyK54

Question about the group stream: does the P4 duel have any spoilers? I'm fine with seeing characters, I just don't want to hear plot details.

I don't believe there's any story spoilers for Ultimax. Maybe for other Persona games (3 & 4) if you haven't played them (specifically a character spoiler if you haven't beaten 4).

Kneefoil

I don't remember them talking about the plot, but I personally think that one character's inclusion in the game is in and of itself a pretty huge Persona 4 plot spoiler. No spoilers for Ultimax, though, I don't think.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
On a less snarky and sarcastic note, an update on Game Sleuth would be appreciated. Damiani said tentatively April so it can't be that far off, I hope it comes out during the first part of May, unless they want to keep it on hold to show it during the E3 livestream like last year (that's gonna hamper the Youtube views though, people aren't going to watch it twice).

https://twitter.com/mbdamiani/status/855160961438593024
He gave an update. Again I'm not sure if each individual twitter is always the best place to spread the word around but I'm not really sure what channel is either.

Ray Down

Banned
My overall feelings on JoJo (at least the first 3 parts; I've only just started watching Diamond is Unbreakable): It's basically an animated equivalent of stupidly cheesy 80s action flicks like Commando where the characters are more like caricatures because they're so over-the-top.

Well it's clearly inspired by that era with the hair and it being inspired by Fist of the North Star (which was inspired by Mad Max). Western Culture has had a huge effect on manga of that era.

Jojo then inspired the lots of Yugioh and maybe Persona (you can't help but see it), I know Togashi was inspired by Jojo with the psychic/territory group in Yu Yu Hakusho.

I really can't believe people ranking 1 over 4.

Mista Koo

Great stream. But as always I really hate the handicap that Kyle always ignores. Yeah give both teams the same time, the team that has an expert and the team that doesn't even know the interface or how things work at all. And Don wasn't as hands on as I wanted him to be, I was angrily screaming during the first team's part how to do things every time they stumbled.
All I ask is 5-10 minutes pre-stream of explaining the controls and how the game works. Is that hard??

Having said that I liked both levels. I'll have to give it to team A's level since they collaborated better on it, team B's level was just Bosman's. In fact I don't think the relay aspect was a good idea, I would've just kept the controller with one person and everyone should've thrown their ideas at them rather than worry about how much time they had.
I related way too much with Ian's OCD in having things be symmetrical and pixel perfect. And Damiani just making things harder at the last minute reminded me of a game jam last minute level I made "quick, just throw spikes everywhere."

Avalon/The Resistance is an awesome game. It's what I would've sent next if I didn't think it was too much to send two card games. However it really needs like 7 players to really shine which I don't think is easy for them to do.

I like the direction it's heading mechanically, but yeah everything else from art style to character choices is so sterile and boring.

Really?

It's just a different show post-stands. You're no longer watching it for the plot and relation between the protagonist and the villain(s), you're watching it for the stand encounters. My favorite battles are probably all against stands of the week. And for me since part 1 is mostly boring I wouldn't necessarily say it's the formula that made part 2 fantastic.

Also, what is with the insane amount of censoring on crunchyroll?
That's just the TV version. It's only uncensored in the Blu-rays.

My problem with Part 3 stems from the fact that sometimes the villains aren't interesting and simply because of the road trip nature of the part they really don't affect anything after them (for the most part). I'd say 4 is way better than establishing villains and having them change and grow along with the single setting of the part.

And to anyone really into JoJo's but wishing it'd move away from villain of the week, I'm sorry to say that it sounds like it'll never go back (I only watch the anime, but it seems that's the case).
I disagree. People hyped that aspect of part 4 but I really didn't see it, there weren't any enemies that persisted long enough to matter. Heck I was expecting Akira to be the Hol Horse but nope, there isn't even a Hol Horse.
I like part 4's cast and powers more than 3. On the other hand part 3 was better in having the illusion of a plot with the locations acting as a progress bar. My favorite thing of part 4 was the anime's production and stylization that really fits the series.

Oh and Josuke is great. Not at Joseph's level but not at Jonathan's.

Kneefoil

And Damiani just making things harder at the last minute reminded me of a game jam last minute level I made "quick, just throw spikes everywhere."
When I saw him do that, especially when he added the two Hammer Brothers on the second half of the main area of the level, I wanted to tell Damiani: "please don't do this!" Then when I saw Team B play that level, in the short time I took them to beat it, I had actually found myself thinking "that's really good enemy placement" not just once, but like three times.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
The mario maker stream definitely reinforced for me that I personally like their content the best whenever they can leverage their unique creativity. Not to take away from the other things those are often cool too and definitely essential as well. Just things like the trial, the betting specials, the weird streams, dioramas, whenever Huber can use his story telling skills, etc, strike a special chord with me.

The mario maker stream definitely reinforced for me that I personally like their content the best whenever they can leverage their unique creativity. Not to take away from the other things those are often cool too and definitely essential as well. Just things like the trial, the betting specials, the weird streams, dioramas, whenever Huber can use his story telling skills, etc, strike a special chord with me.
That's what makes their stuff so fun to watch

I think when describing the appeal of EZA most people just say "they're so positive!" which is true but I think there's more to it than that. It's fun.

Mista Koo

When I saw him do that, especially when he added the two Hammer Brothers on the second half of the main area of the level, I wanted to tell Damiani: "please don't do this!" Then when I saw Team B play that level, in the short time I took them to beat it, I had actually found myself thinking "that's really good enemy placement" not just once, but like three times.
That's the thing you learn with playtesting. I was actually expecting Team B to just leave the playtesting to Huber since they had him last but I'm glad they didn't.

woah bro :|
Not literally, at least not on the outside :p But hey they were at a disadvantage and I just really wanted to be there and tell them how to go to the other zone and erase stuff etc.

Maybe in a broader sense of 'whats going on with Capcom?'. I think the only time they mentioned MvC before was the story about Evo fan voting for the ninth tournament spot.

True. Capcom has been struggling. My guess is that their finding just isn't where it needs to be anymore hence why even their cash cow (Monster Hunter) relies so heavily on very low quality reused assets. They keep chasing the GAaS model without realizing that in order to succeed with that model you need an extremely polished base product to entice people to stick with it long term. You gotta make that investment and put in that work early on for it to pay off and whether it's budget constraints, understaffing or lack of talent they just seem incapable of doing that.

It's rollout has been really odd. I'm staying away from a day 1 purchase for that one.

Yea the marketing has been really bizarre. I can't believe that the new marvel games initiative would roll with it considering how heavily they are trying to push the quality angle.

MvCI looks bad, I agree. The art style is just all sorts of bad and given the insider posts stating how it'll be aimed more at casuals, I'm not expecting much depth nor for it to be an interesting game to watch competitively compared to predecessors.

That and the roster feels really safe so far. We already have DLC characters announced (without knowing most of the cast). And the netcode will probably suck if SFV is any indication.

2vs2, no assists, gems, aimed at casuals, terrible artstyle. I have no idea why Capcom thought marketing that game this way was a good idea but the only way I see it working is if the mainstream audience eats it up. Which I'm not entirely convinced will happen.

Edit: The game better have 50+ characters at launch or something similar to justify how much Capcom is reusing assets.

The fact that we only know a handful of characters so few months out from realize and some of those show big improvements in animation and modeling in the latest trailer tells me that the initial lineup is likely to be incredibly sparse and that sucks because to me it shows they didn't learn the lessons they should have from SFV.

I think aesthetically the thing that I find the most offensive is the god awful UI. It looks like the sort of UI you'd see in a mobile app. It's offensively bland and barebones and with it being so close to release it's not a good look at all.

All of this stuff tells me this game is going to be coming in hot. MvC deserves so much better. T_T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom