• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budi

Death Stranding has been said to come for PC long time ago, it's only a timed exclusive at worst which isn't the same as actual exclusive. Obviously it will not be really talked about or marketed because of the Sony deal, this happens all the time and it's bad.

Death Stranding has been said to come for PC long time ago, it's only a timed exclusive at worst. Obviously it will not be really talked about or marketed because of the Sony deal, this happens all the time and it's bad.

Oh you mean the deal where they are publishing and funding the game yeah how dare Sony!

Budi

Oh you mean the deal where they are publishing and funding the game yeah how dare Sony!

Kojima isn't struggling dev desperately looking for work =P He would get work even without Sony's help I'm pretty sure.

'Kojima added: "I will be taking on a new challenge by establishing my own independent studio, and I am thrilled to be able to embark on this journey with PlayStation, who I have continued to work with all these past years...I cannot wait to deliver, with PlayStation, a game that will become a compelling franchise."

In a Q&A also issued by the company, as published by Medium, it was revealed that Sony is not investing in Kojima Productions, and the unnamed game in question "is planned to become available on PC" after its PS4 release.' Source Gamespot

And what I ment that bothers me the most is the lack of info and marketing the PC version gets with deals like this. No man's sky also got promotional, distribution and publishing help from Sony. Helldivers is fully Sony published game available on Steam. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture has very deep ties with Playstation, but it's on PC. It was actually co-developed with SCE Santa Monica Studio. So no there's no indication at all that Death Stranding couldn't come to PC.

Wouldn't be surprised if Death Stranding for PC for shelved as they moved into production and budgeting.

Since Sony is funding it, owns the IP and all.

Budi

Wouldn't be surprised if Death Stranding for PC for shelved as they moved into production and budgeting.

Since Sony is funding it, owns the IP and all.

As I said, Sony owns Helldivers and Everybody's gone to the rapture (even had Sony's own devs working on it) too. I guess it's possible that PC version would have been cancelled. But nobody has said it, all that has been said that it is coming. We have no details on the contract they made so I guess everything is speculation. All we can do is hope for the best. I have no doubts it wouldn't be console exclusive for PS and I'm sure the PC version won't be released at the same time.

farisr

Re: Death Stranding. Due to it being Sony's own in-house engine, and the engine/codebase becoming a "full-blown collaboration" with GG (as stated by Mark Cerny in an IGN interview shortly after the game awards happened last year) I really doubt that this game will come to the PC now.

Both everybody's gone to the rapture, and helldivers were using non-sony engines, and were games of a much much smaller scale.

Xbox discussion with EZA is always a tough listen/watch, but throw Ian in the mix and it's just a mess. Great podcast with the exception of that awful segment.

dickroach

it was the most they've talked about Microsoft beyond "there's no reason to have an Xbox if they're going to release everything on PC." literally ever. I enjoyed it

As I said, Sony owns Helldivers and Everybody's gone to the rapture (even had Sony's own devs working on it) too. I guess it's possible that PC version would have been cancelled. But nobody has said it, all that has been said that it is coming. We have no details on the contract they made so I guess everything is speculation. All we can do is hope for the best. I have no doubts it wouldn't be console exclusive for PS and I'm sure the PC version won't be released at the same time.

Those are smaller games with much smaller budgets but fair is fair, PC version is announced. I expect it to be PS4/PC but I just wouldn't be surprised if the PC version is canned given how development seems to be moving on it.

The PC version would actually be the first big Sony owned IP on PC and running Sony's first party engine to boot.

Xbox discussion with EZA is always a tough listen/watch, but throw Ian in the mix and it's just a mess. Great podcast with the exception of that awful segment.

Aside from the Borderlands/Scorpio bit, I though it treated MS fine. What were your issues? MS is in a tricky position this E3 and I thought the panel did a fairly good job at highlighting that. They were both looking forward to it while acknowledging that no, MS can't just talk the talk and end up delivering a fairly standard conference.

I was fine with the Xbox talk. It is always weird to hear anyone advocate a multiplatform franchise going exclusive being a good thing though. That and when they were really hopeful about a new IP the burning question I had was "developed by who?" and they never addressed that.

ShadyK54

It was fine, and I found myself agreeing with they're points that MS really needs to walk the walk this year and get people excited, especially about Scorpio.

Never really understood why people have a problem about their MS talk, tbh. Maybe it's because I'm not really into Xbox, as the PS4 is my main console. It's not like they've said anything outright offensive or false (to me, and that I can remember). I could understand when they were talking about the specs awhile back, although they prefaced they weren't knowledgeable to begin with.

Budi

So I'll drop my more detailed thoughts on Hall of Greats, their picks and arguments now.

Still love the format and still wish people had more time either for introducing their game but even more for the questions. I understand very well that there are atleast two reasons why the times are restricted like this, so I guess it's okay. Still a bit bummer sometimes when someone has a lot to say.

Huber's pick: Slow starts can give a bad first impressions about the game, but in the end it's okay if the rest makes up for it. Somebody might drop the game before it gets good, but that doesn't define the game's overall quality. I have no experience what so ever with the franchise so this pick didn't really do anything for me.

Don's pick: This came out of the left field but was most welcomed pick. I loved how Don was getting down to the brass tacks with his presentation, unfortunately the time was so limited. And maybe the expamples and comparisons were bit too deep and complex for the crowd, when they aren't as experienced with similar games as Don seems to be. I guess that led to the Kyle's question "how is this all fun?" which is ofcourse a decent question. But overall, this game didn't have a chance with this group. I also already dropped the series at this point (I'm more of a Tropico guy), so my Sim City introduction would had been the first game.

Brandon's pick: Brandon saying "it only got better" is a bit tricky. While yes the franchise has been overall improving, some aspects of it haven't reached it's heights again. The criticism about the leveling was really odd, it's part of the learning experience. You don't go into the raids to learn basic movement. You learn stuff bit by bit while leveling up. And the possibilty to skip leveling content I feel is more aimed at people who already have gone through that, multiple times. While ofcourse the point about getting to play fast with your friends is also true. Then there are people who are coming back after a long break, it benefits them too. It's a positive not a negative in the game. Also there was the low level content overhaul with Cataclysm where they re-did areas and changed quests, that made it fresher for old players and it was better content for newcomers. Wow being on life support or dying is something we've been hearing for over 10 years now. And it's never been true, the game dies when Blizzard wants to pull the plug not before. It still has millions of active subscripers paying monthly. It's not something other games really can do. Brandon dropped the ball on defending this and I guess that shows in the result of it being banned now. Even Damiani had better arguments for it and it wasn't even his pick. Disgraceful. Legion is the only expansion I haven't played and I'm really not that interested either. But me not being interested anymore has more to do with the unhealthy amount of time I put in it, rather than the game being bad.

Kyle's pick: While I love 2D Zeldas, I never had a Game Boy so no experience with this one. He made compelling arguments and what he talked about story was really convincing.

Brad's / Damiani's pick: First of all it was a bummer that 2 people had accidentally the same game. But atleast it was Mario 64, it's the first one of these games I would include in the Hall of Greats. For 3D platformers or 3rd person 3D it sure was a milestone. But if we are talking about 3D games overall, there already were games that were true 3D and great to play like Quake for example. This is a nitpick to Brad's argument about doing 3D right. I have nothing else since the game is indeed so good.

Blood's pick: So last time I wished games wouldn't appear two times in a row. But I'll allow it since those "visual aids" Blood delivered more than made up for it! I have fond memories of Street Fighter 2 and regard it as a flagship of the genre. I just haven't been so big on fighters since the OG Xbox days. Latest I've bought was Skullgirls. Also the dig by Brad was poorly thought I feel, since as Ben confirmed there was 6 button controller available even on that platform.

Ben's pick: Ben gave truly an excellent speech, I could have listened to it for hours more. You are an inspiration Ben and someone I look up to. If I'd just rate the arguments, Ben would blow everyone out of the water. And the game itself, brilliant indeed. I'm not very into anime aesthetic myself. But as Ben said, it's much more, it looks beautiful. Also the talk about the themes and story was almost moving. This maybe was amplified with my own experience with the game. Which I unfortunately haven't finished. Played it for 25 hours, got frustrated on some mission for it's difficulty and haven't yet gone back to see it through. But hearing Ben talk, made me regret not doing so. I remember the tank battle Kyle mentioned too, it was bit tricky to get through indeed. Besides Don, Ben's segment especially was the one where I wanted there to be more time for sure.

Ian's pick: Another game I have no experience with, only with the earlier entries. But as I said earlier, there really was nothing admirable in Sotn being voice acted. It had been done many times way before and had been done properly. What I agree 100% that sprite art has aged much better and imo even looked way better at the time than early 3D. The player being able to exploit game mechanics is a flaw in a game imo, I understand that some people might like it. There's often be complaints in line of "they don't the game to be fun" when dev fixes something that community has been exploiting.

So nobody read all the way through here, but my points for Hall of Greats nominees would've been: 3 points Mario 64 2 points World of Warcraft 1 point would be either Valkyria Chronicles or Sim City 4. I can't fully endorse 4 without playing it, but as a franchise I feel it deserves a spot more than VC. Ben and Don also had my favorite arguments so it's really hard to choose.

Those are smaller games with much smaller budgets but fair is fair, PC version is announced. I expect it to be PS4/PC but I just wouldn't be surprised if the PC version is canned given how development seems to be moving on it.

The PC version would actually be the first big Sony owned IP on PC and running Sony's first party engine to boot.

Yeah that's all true. It's more about me clutching on the old, and to be honest, vague info than actual clear confirmation. I don't think anyone is surprised why somebody would do that regarding this game. =P Death Stranding is probably one of the most awaited upcoming games in the world right now with Red Dead 2.

Dysun

The Xbox talk is more indicative of problems surrounding the platform rather than any kind of bias. It just isn't exciting to talk about or get invested into it if you aren't already

Hasney

Yeah, especially with games being on PC now as long as you don't have to FUCKING FORMAT YOUR PC TO GET WINDOWS STORE WORKING. GAH. Like, I'm kinda interested in what they have, but I'm just so deflated and down on them since Scalebound was cancelled.

I dig Phantom Dust though, so giving that away for free made me happy.

Budi

it was the most they've talked about Microsoft beyond "there's no reason to have an Xbox if they're going to release everything on PC." literally ever. I enjoyed it

Even though for me that holds true, it's still a bad statement to make because it's not true for all. As we even see in GAF time and time again. Some people simply think that PC is too complicated or expensive. So there's still a market for Xbox even with shared games. So it's good they didn't just lean on that again.

Yeah, especially with games being on PC now as long as you don't have to FUCKING FORMAT YOUR PC TO GET WINDOWS STORE WORKING. GAH. Like, I'm kinda interested in what they have, but I'm just so deflated and down on them since Scalebound was cancelled.

I dig Phantom Dust though, so giving that away for free made me happy.

Yeah Xbox sharing games with PC is actually making their confrence more exciting to people, since it doesn't matter if your platform of choice is a PC or a console. Not so much for me personally for few reasons. Still watching it live.

Was the prediction of Death Stranding coming to Xbox before or after they saw this pic?
sonykojimabbbgy.png

The Xbox talk is more indicative of problems surrounding the platform rather than any kind of bias. It just isn't exciting to talk about or get invested into it if you aren't already

You also have to make a lot of assumptions to generate hype for MS. We have to assume there is a major studio at MS working a new IP. Take Sony and Nintendo as the opposite example, there are less assumptions to be made because we know there are studios with yet to be announced projects ( think Sucker Punch and Retro respectively).

Mikey Jr.

An experiment I would love to do on the next hall of greats.

You come up.

"I nominate Ocarina of time. End of presentation".

Then when people ask questions, then just say yeah, it has this and this problem. Don't bring up any good qualities.

I guarantee you it'll win Hall of Greats.

Thats the inherent flaw to this whole thing.

You come up.

Then when people ask questions, then just say yeah, it has this and this problem. Don't bring up any good qualities.

It's an even bigger flaw no one has nominated it in 2 events. I like that they are doing some dark horse choices, but there has been a serious lack of true contenders. At least the winners have all been justifiable, but no one even nominating a single Final Fantasy or a Half Life is truly baffling.

Visceir

It's an even bigger flaw no one has nominated it in 2 events. I like that they are doing some dark horse choices, but there has been a serious lack of true contenders. At least the winners have all been justifiable, but no one even nominating a single Final Fantasy or a Half Life is truly baffling.

I imagine most of them intentionally try to pick obscure picks since the usual top games are already known. It's more entertaining for them to champion these less universally praised games than to go for the predictable picks.

It's all done for entertainment afterall.

phanphare

Banned
the obvious choices for the Hall of Greats #2 ended up winning but I feel like the best cases were Symphony of the Night and Sim City 4

do I have to spoiler this?

luchadork

i absolutely love ian but he sure does have a tendency to completely shut down conversations that he's not interested in. dude can be the biggest edge lord.

Axass

$500 or more per month ∙ 8 of 9 patrons

If only they had opened it a few days sooner! Dunno if someone will get the spot, there's only 5 days to end the month. But boy, if it gets taken we're over Trailer Score with a decent $500 buffer, which Blood said is the money difference (from the total before the dip at month's end) when all is said and done with the payment.

You come up.

1. I think that's not a bug, it's a feature. OoT clearly belongs (my best attack on it would be that BotW is clearly better and not in, and OoT should not be in until it is. Tenuous). It would get in. Your attempt to subvert the system would fail, which seems to imply that the system works... which makes sense, considering it's based on a quite-successful sports HoF nomination system.
2. The HoF systems are designed with the expectation that the actors act in good faith. If somebody trolls the process, they need to be removed from the process. Luckily, I don't think this will be an issue for the allies

I do think the arguments against could be better... maybe if all the presentations were up front and critiques at the end, so people have more time to build a legitimate case against games? But mostly I think it's good fun, so i wouldn't want too much to change in the direction of 'serious business'.

i absolutely love ian but he sure does have a tendency to completely shut down conversations that he's not interested in. dude can be the biggest edge lord.

I honestly didn't see him shutting down any conversation in the podcast. Everyone pretty much got to talk about what they wanted. And I don't see him shutting down many if any conversations.

Budi

I honestly didn't see him shutting down any conversation in the podcast. Everyone pretty much got to talk about what they wanted. And I don't see him shutting down many if any conversations.

I don't know, it sometimes feels that his sudden antagonistic attitude kills the vibe of the room. Maybe not so much in this episode, but I do remember them completely moving on from COD discussion immediately because Ian was pushing past it. Or atleast I think it was COD. Great and talented guy, but for podcasts I prefer watching him in Reaction Shots honestly. Too many hot takes, which is a big part of his personality ofcourse so can't really blame him. I don't really want any of them to pretend being something they are not either. But silence is a valid option sometimes.

I don't know, it sometimes feels that his sudden antagonistic attitude kills the vibe of the room. Maybe not so much in this episode, but I do remember them completely moving on from COD discussion immediately because Ian was pushing past it. Or atleast I think it was COD. Great and talented guy, but for podcasts I prefer watching him in Reaction Shots honestly. Too many hot takes, which is a big part of his personality ofcourse so can't really blame him. I don't really want any of them to pretend being something they are not either. But silence is a valid option sometimes.

Fair enough. I can definitely see that view though for me, I think it just needs a bit more from the other Allies challenging Ian's point, even if it's just sort of a devil's advocate position, rather than much of a change from Ian himself.

You also have to make a lot of assumptions to generate hype for MS. We have to assume there is a major studio at MS working a new IP. Take Sony and Nintendo as the opposite example, there are less assumptions to be made because we know there are studios with yet to be announced projects ( think Sucker Punch and Retro respectively).

Yeah, let's be fair to Ian, it's not his fault MS is slowly trying to back out of the console hardware business while trying to pretend they aren't slowly backing out of the console hardware business. The entire premise of a discussion about what MS can do to blow people away is unfair because it's purely speculative and basically has to set aside all the moves they've actually been engaged in recently. Compared to Sony and Nintendo Microsoft's commitment to the console industry has always been cynically motivated and/or tepid. Ian expressing his indifference is far less annoying than attempts to prop Microsoft up in order to appear "fair and balanced". It's not a podcaster's job to make Microsoft's E3 seem exciting, Major Nelson excluded.

Mikey Jr.

1. I think that's not a bug, it's a feature. OoT clearly belongs (my best attack on it would be that BotW is clearly better and not in, and OoT should not be in until it is. Tenuous). It would get in. Your attempt to subvert the system would fail, which seems to imply that the system works... which makes sense, considering it's based on a quite-successful sports HoF nomination system.
2. The HoF systems are designed with the expectation that the actors act in good faith. If somebody trolls the process, they need to be removed from the process. Luckily, I don't think this will be an issue for the allies

I do think the arguments against could be better... maybe if all the presentations were up front and critiques at the end, so people have more time to build a legitimate case against games? But mostly I think it's good fun, so i wouldn't want too much to change in the direction of 'serious business'.

There is no case though.

Once someone brings up ocarina of time, it is automatically getting in, making every other game on there moot.

On the last episode, I knew either Mario 64, castlevania, or sf2 were getting in. Just vote on those 3 from the get go and be done with it.

It is going to take probably 10 episodes before we can finally get to an episode where hog voting has actual tension to it and the case you make for the game actually matters.

For instance, I thunk Huber made a better case for Dragon Quest than ian for symphony of the night or even mario 64. But it doesn't matter, because one is dragon quest and the other is castlevania/mario 64.

Making a big deal than it is obviously, but they should make top 10 best games of all time, include all of those at once, and then get back to normal.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
They should reach 45k in a couple of days maybe? It's less than 100$ away.

I wonder if E3 will be enough to reach 50k and hold it.

I'll miss Jones' garage though.

Vinc

Long way to go for 50k, and unlikely to remain at 45k or even 44k by the end of the month as there's always a dip. E3 last year didn't really move the needle much either. I think their second anniversary event will likely bring them above 50k for good, provided they have some cool announcements. I know Bosman wants to move past Final Bosman, but I think once he figures out a way to make a spiritual successor work, even if it's not permanent and season-based, would easily push them past 50k.

Side note, but that long podcast episode was faaantastic. The first five minutes put me in a good mood after a bad day. And that Brandon pitch on how to announce Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is quite something. I really, really want them to do exactly that. Really appreciate the long episode and extra effort that had to involve. Ian and Jones having to edit after that late night recording session really shows how dedicated they all are to EZA. Just wanted to say that it's super appreciated!

Also, Spoiler Mode is one of my favorite things they ever did. I really hope they can find a way to make more of these episodes once things calm down a bit, even if it's about older stuff! I really long for a spoiler discussion on games like FFXV, Persona 5, and Witcher 3, for example.

Naw we're at least a year or so away from a studio. The patreon is inflated for box peek but it's still holding real strong from the anniversary. They would need another thousand or so patreons to be there. It's about steady and consistent growth not just the dollar amount. The important thing and the greatest news is they've held onto their anniversary surge. It could have easily fallen back once the rush of the event wore off. But the numbers and dollars have stayed. And that's what you need to track. That things hold or grow month over month.

Also I will say it will be nice when they get a studio and is hopefully located in a favorable location for the whole crew but I don't see it radically changing much. I find some seem way too obsessed with the studio. You'll probably get more buddy system streams in the day and probably a GT live like show. And they can have more stable setups that don't always have to change for different shows. Otherwise I don't see it changing much on the output or types of things they do. i find some people are a bit obsessed with getting to the studio again. What it'll mean more to me than anything is they have a strong and steady fan base that supports them and the studio represents that. Getting there with 7-8k patrons would mean more to that goal the current 6k but everyone paying more to get there

Visceir

Also I will say it will be nice when they get a studio and is hopefully located in a favorable location for the whole crew but I don't see it radically changing much. I find some seem way too obsessed with the studio. You'll probably get more buddy system streams in the day and probably a GT live like show. And they can have more stable setups that don't always have to change for different shows. Otherwise I don't see it changing much on the output or types of things they do. i find some people are a bit obsessed with getting to the studio again. What it'll mean more to me than anything is they have a strong and steady fan base that supports them and the studio represents that. Getting there with 7-8k patrons would mean more to that goal the current 6k but everyone paying more to get there

Main thing I miss and that a studio space might bring back would be more frequent full playthrough fridays. Loved their FF7 playthrough and loved their RE7 full playthrough.

Other than that would hope it to improve collaborative efforts -- more duo streams rather than solo, have that wingman for interaction with chat and chitchat, more shows involving multiple allies rather than having Huber fend for himself in front of the camera...more brainstorming sessions and more brilliant ideas for new content.

Karu

What's really missing is that comfy cut-throat corporate environment only a proper studio can provide!

In all seriousness, I personally am not in a hurry to get that studio going, especially when it basically hinges on Patreon alone. Keep it another year or year and a half going and see where you are at, then.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Studio in my mind =

- Far better visuals. Copy that KindaFunny Video Wall.

- Bosman more likely to make a Final Bosman successor with real filming space. No more neighbour guitar.

- Green-screen Huber hype.

- More full playthrough groups.

A year on of Jones not having to go anywhere and everyone coming to him though and I feel he may not want a studio.

A year on of Jones not having to go anywhere and everyone coming to him though and I feel he may not want a studio.

Jones definitely wants a studio. One thing that can be said for sure is that we'll be open to do more things with guests - collaborations, developer interviews, game demos, etc. And Jones is excited about those opportunities. There's still a lot of details to work out before we actually get there, but we'll certainly benefit from having a space that's custom fit to do everything we want.

The only thing they really need right now is production values. Even today, a year later, everything still looks pretty amateurish, from the MS Paint-level logo and stream graphics to the not-great mic during group streams, to fuzzy looking cameras.

CyReN

Jones definitely wants a studio. One thing that can be said for sure is that we'll be open to do more things with guests - collaborations, developer interviews, game demos, etc. And Jones is excited about those opportunities. There's still a lot of details to work out before we actually get there, but we'll certainly benefit from having a space that's custom fit to do everything we want.

I think it's been mentioned before but I love the "homey feel" of things right now. I understand it's important and I want you guys to be happy, but in the same vein after seeing KFG get their studio it seemed a lot more cooperate and turned me off. Doubt it will happen to you guys, but can't help to think about it.

If that day does come, hope you guys can keep both the feeling while benefiting you guys too with content.

I think it's been mentioned before but I love the "homey feel" of things right now. I understand it's important and I want you guys to be happy, but in the same vein after seeing KFG get their studio it seemed a lot more cooperate and turned me off. Doubt it will happen to you guys, but can't help to think about it.

If that day does come, hope you guys can keep both the feeling while benefiting you guys too with content.

Well, I can't speak for Jones, but I'm guessing the garage won't entirely go away either. If nothing else, he'll probably still do his streams from there. I think a somewhat homey feel would be good for the set design, but I'm sure there will be a lot of different opinions going around, and then the matter of how many "stages" we want to have for different formats. Even with a somewhat sterile studio though, all you have to do is look at the previous E3 at Defy to see that it won't be super corporate feeling.

Vinc

Oh man. I've been waiting so long for a Trailer Score return. That was one of my favorite GT shows. I hope this can somehow hold. I don't expect it to hold for June, but maybe for July if we're lucky? Guess we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom