• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budi

More guests and even interviews please. I say it once again, I miss GT Live almost as much as I miss Mandatory Update with Elyse.

Joqu

I tend to find the guests a little awkward too, except for ex-GT people of course, but that's okay, I still think it's pretty awesome whenever they appear. It's still a nice change of pace.

mishakoz

Well, on one hand everything technical went swimmingly during E3 so yay.

On the other, first stream back is having some issues (and a bit over exposed)

Karu

Kyle's Remake-argument is weak unless he seriously includes FF7 Remake here.

Kyle is cracking me up.
"A Way Out - will be discussed at New IP...
*5 minutes later*
I vote for Anthem"

mishakoz

Best press conference, Sony snubbed just for not having the surprises despite being everything they want in a press conference.

edit: Huber makes a good point, and I agree, I just think Sony is being eliminated for not living up for prior years.

Karu

Best press conference, Sony snubbed just for not having the surprises despite being everything they want in a press conference.

edit: Huber makes a good point, and I agree, I just think Sony is being eliminated for not living up for prior years.
absolutely. I was 100% sure what I wanted and bth Sony and Bethesda basically blew that away almost immediately this year. Ubisoft, overall, had the best balance and would thus be my personal winner.

And Devolver, of course.

Sony had the best lineup but we already knew about all of their games except for SOTC and Monster Hunter. And yes, they have ridiculous levels of hype to live up to from the previous 2 conferences.

farisr

Not currently watching so I have no idea in regards to their sentiment general feelings are, but I also feel sony didn't have the best conference this year, despite being interested in nearly all of the first party games they showed (unlike other conferences where I was maybe interested in just 2 or 3).

There were a few things that stood out to me, them singing themselves praises with something along the lines of "what an opening" "what an insane lineup" and also the "roller coaster ride" in regards to what they were showing actually works against them. I don't like it when MS does it, and I don't like it when Sony does it either.

The zombie thing on stage was not needed, like at all. Really tacky. I can probably think of what the real reason was to pull out that screen out for the spider-man demo on-stage (probably a high quality HDR screen or something), but they didn't need to show that on the stream. Also, some of the stuff they showed off in the pre-conference really should've been there in the main conference, would've made for a more well-rounded presentation. There were definite faults for sure. It was nice seeing such good VR support, but the only new things we saw first party IP wise aside from that was SOTC and the Horizon DLC. SOTC was not predictable (if it wasn't for that trademark) and was basically the main standout first party announcement of their conference.

I honestly feel MS would have had the better conference despite such a weak and easily predictable first party showing, but due to their shadiness in regards to the "exclusives" I rate it lower than Sony and Nintendo.

For me in the end, conference/show wise:
Ubisoft > Sony > Nintendo > MS > Bethesda > EA

Ubi did a good job. I had zero interest in the Rabbids/Mario games from the leak, don't like games of that genre, but they actually got me somewhat interested in it. They had a bunch of new games to show, and while after the fact BGE2 does not sound that well to me, that was a hype announcement/showing.

But yeah, this is just evaluating how their conference/show was, not how I feel towards the publisher a as a whole.

mishakoz

I played Mario Odyssey at E3 and only mildly liked my time with it. I think it has huge potential but Im not sure it was game of show.

I wish Detroit was in the conversation.

Ultimadrago

EZA Best of E3 Awards 2017:

Biggest Surprise: Surprise Announcements
Best Press Conference: Ubisoft
Best Original Series/IP: A Way Out
Best Demonstration: Monster Hunter World
(Patron-voted) Most Damaging Leak: Assassin's Creed Origins
Best Trailer: Super Mario Odyssey
Best of Show: Mario Odyssey

jett

D-Member
Mario justly won.

lol at Dragon Ball. This crew should all gather together and play Xrd, see how much they like one of the most inscrutable fighters around. DBZF will be simpler probably, but it still looks ArcSys as fuck.

ST2K

Dragonball Fighterz is the most overhyped game I can recall seeing coming out of E3.

Glad to see they didn't buy in and make a mistake with game of show.

1. Doesn't the game have like three total characters? (Slight exaggeration, yes.)
2. Did any pro players try it out at E3? Is it like Marvel where you just have to get someone stuck in a corner and you win? Those games kinda suck. If it's a bit more fair, that's good to hear and hope it gets a spot at EVO next year.

---

Art style though is fantastic gorgeous.

1. Doesn't the game have like three total characters? (Slight exaggeration, yes.)
2. Did any pro players try it out at E3? Is it like Marvel where you just have to get someone stuck in a corner and you win? Those games kinda suck. If it's a bit more fair, that's good to hear and hope it gets a spot at EVO next year.

---

1. No
2. Not a pro but good at picking up and explaining games see Maximilian's YouTube page. It had a ton of footage and breakdown. He played it a lot at E3 and it's his game of show.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

---

The game is a year or more away from release. It's a 2018 game. It only had 6 fighters in the demo because those were the highest profile and most polished of the bunch.

mcw

I played Mario Odyssey at E3 and only mildly liked my time with it. I think it has huge potential but Im not sure it was game of show.

I wish Detroit was in the conversation.

Reportedly, the demo that was there for Detroit is the same demo that was there last year.

Was it just best of show or were other awards present too? Not sure I want to watch if it's just an Odyssey blowout with my current lack of time.

Machina

Banned
I'm surprised by how disagreeable most of their decisions are to me.

Biggest Surprise: Mario + Rabbids
Best Press Conference: Ubisoft
Best Original Series: Anthem
Best Demonstration: Anthem (really don't give a shit about forced team chatter. I can block it out and focus on the game)
Most Damaging leak: AssCreed
Best Trailer: Mario Odyssey (Big honorable mention to God of War)
Best in Show: Mario Odyssey

Strongly disagree with the Metroid Announcements. Yes they were a surprise but I can't see how you can look past M+R for sheer shock at how good it looks.

No, plenty of other categories and winners :)

Cool, cool. Will give it a listen today.

YouTube description has timestamps, so you can skip through if you want.

I listen on the drive to work so I don't like skipping on mobile much (don't think timestamps work on it). I don't even mind Odyssey talk, which I think looks fantastic. But I'm backlogged on loads of good EZA content so it's mostly a priority thing so I can get caught up on the weekly stuff.

Budi

Guests, sure.

Interviews, absolutely not. That's not an EZA specific thing-- I get no enjoyment at all out of most interviews done at other sites.

With interviews I don't mean just those strict face to face like Suda 51 and Igarashi ones, but also GT Live if you are familiar with it. More relaxed and free form setting. Those felt like very natural discussions. I also liked that they integrated bit of TOP 10 discussion into it, talked about the game that got left out from the upcoming list. And the guest(s) also got go give their input in what's their favorite. And I really need to know who has played Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door and what they think of it! =P But those are more like having a guest than doing an interview, but more focus put on them than just hanging around in the background in a group stream. Having the guest in Frame Trap is more interesting, depending on who they are ofcourse. I'd love to see developers interacting with EZA more, I guess that's why I also called for interviews. This is something we will get with studio though.

Edit: Also the discussion hosted by Ben with Suda and Kodaka was excellent, while not strictly EZA content. I don't really count myself even as a fan for either of them, was still fun and interesting talk.

Kneefoil

I mostly would've picked the exact same picks for the awards as the Allies did, but not for the Best of Show. That I would've given to FighterZ. It's just really shocking to me that in this day and age, a Dragon Ball game is getting so much hype behind it. I usually don't see average gamers getting as excited about fighting games either, so the fact DBFZ is a serious contender for the title is doubly surprising to me, and ultimately gives it an edge over Mario, which we all knew would be amazing because it's Nintendo's flagship title.

That being said, it's hard to argue against Mario being picked, too. It was still a good choice.

And I would've given the Biggest Surprise to Metroid even if they announced only Samus Returns. I really thought the next Metroid game would be Prime 4, and I thought even it's announcement would be at least a year off. But no, we're getting Metroid 2 reimagined, and we're getting it in just a few short months! On top of that, it's a 2D Metroid game; I vastly prefer 2D Metroid over Prime.

El-Suave

Biggest surprise going to the Metroids was the upset of the awards for me. Prime 4 might be very anticipated, but the logo only trailer should have disqualified it. So we had the logo of a franchise that was guaranteed to come out some time down the road and a game that didn't even make it into the main presentation. Not enough. I would have given it to Mario + Rabbids - you can even argue that the leak enhanced the surprise because the expectations were set so low. Of course without the leak our minds would have been blown.

UrbanRats

Brandon's reasoning for Metroid as most surprising really confused me.
It wasn't out of the left field, THEREFORE it was more surprising? What?

I would've given it to DBZ probably, or SotC (it being a remake actually made it all the more surprising, because of how superfluous it is, in a way).

Metroid was something they got bombarded with for years and years now, and the announcement was so low effort (a logo and a place holder name) that it didn't really make me think "Oh, they were working on THIS, this whole time?!".
Felt more like "Alright, we're gonna do it, now shut up."

I'll watch the rest of the awards later, i'm loving the recorded deliberations, tho. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom