• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |OT3| "That sounds like the GameTrailers guy!"

The year before that was pretty good though: Yakuza Kiwami, Yakuza 6, King of Fighters 14, Bloodborne expansion, Gravity Daze 2 etc.

You missed the biggest one from that year: Kingdom Hearts 2.8.

Fun betting special, I don't think most of the bets will happen but a few are real possibilities. The Dragon Ball FighterZ question is interesting, since the special was obviously filmed before the Famitsu leaks. I wonder if it'll count as a reveal if they show Yamcha, Tien and Android 21 there, as they've already been announced but that'll probably be the first time we actually see them in action. I definitely think it'll be at Sony's conference though, Microsoft's marketing deals don't include Japan.

Here's all the questions and bets if anyone wants to make a thread:

Sony Conference
1. Will the Devil May Cry 5 trailer be in the first half of the second half, or will there be no trailer?
Damiani: No Trailer
Huber: No Trailer
Ian: First Half
Ben: First Half

2. Which game will get more screen time, Gran Turismo Sport or Ni no Kuni II?
Damiani: Gran Turismo Sport
Huber: Ni no Kuni II
Ian: Ni no Kuni II
Ben: Ni no Kuni II

3. Will we see gameplay of Resident Evil 2 Remake?
Damiani: No
Huber: Yes
Ian: Yes
Ben: Yes

4. Will a new Dragon Ball FighterZ character be revealed?
Damiani: Yes
Huber: Yes
Ian: Yes
Ben: Yes

Hot Seat
5. New Platinum game? Ben: Happening
Damiani: Right
Huber: Right
Ian: Wrong

6. New Soulcalibur game? Ian: Not Happening
Damiani: Wrong
Ben: Right

7. New FromSoftware game? Huber: Happening
Damiani: Right
Ian: Right
Ben: Right

8. New Team Ninja game? Damiani: Not Happening
Ian: Wrong
Ben: Wrong

Final Bets
Damiani: Brand new PS4/PC Castlevania
Huber: RE2make demo, RE3make announcement, Dino Crisis reboot (in demo) AND Onimusha announcement
Ian: FromSoftware release game during TGS, post-1825 and starts with a letter from A-F
Ben: Sega publicly apologises for no apparent reason, re-release Jet Set Radio AND bring back both Golden Axe and Streets of Rage

Late but I loved their discussion on the Pewdiepie stuff on the podcast, especially Ben.

Yup. I hope they don't shy away from similar stances in the future just because a bunch of Pewdiepie apologists, diet racists and outright racists threw tantrums in the Patreon and Youtube comments.

Servbot24

Banned
My bets:

Sony Conference
1. Will the Devil May Cry 5 trailer be in the first half of the second half, or will there be no trailer?
No Trailer

2. Which game will get more screen time, Gran Turismo Sport or Ni no Kuni II?
Ni no Kuni II

3. Will we see gameplay of Resident Evil 2 Remake?
No

4. Will a new Dragon Ball FighterZ character be revealed?
Yes

5. New Platinum game?
No

6. New Soulcalibur game?
Yes

7. New FromSoftware game?
No

8. New Team Ninja game?
No

Final Bet
A new JRPG IP will be revealed that is exclusive to PS4, as well as a different new JRPG IP that is exclusive to Switch.

Dmax3901

Not to dwell, but my biggest issue with the comments on the latest podcast is how many likes comments that say "EZA shouldn't deal with politics" are getting.

Like, they had an honest, reasonable conversation about a topic that it's 100% important to talk about, and people can't handle it? So many people don't like being faced with the fact that people they follow or admire (the Allies), may not believe in what they believe re things like the n-word.

I think saying "ah you guys should just stay away from politics" is some racist-enabling bullshit and I hope the Allies don't listen.

wmlk

Not to dwell, but my biggest issue with the comments on the latest podcast is how many likes comments that say "EZA shouldn't deal with politics" are getting.

Like, they had an honest, reasonable conversation about a topic that it's 100% important to talk about, and people can't handle it? So many people don't like being faced with the fact that people they follow or admire (the Allies), may not believe in what they believe re things like the n-word.

I think saying "ah you guys should just stay away from politics" is some racist-enabling bullshit and I hope the Allies don't listen.

At the same time, it did feel like the group didn't know the best way to get their feelings/opinions across. There might be some frustration with that. I think Ben (as usual) was the most clear getting his point across though.

At the same time, the more you avoid the subject, the more awkward it is when they eventually do talk about it. So it's better to not avoid stuff like this.

wandering

Banned
At the same time, it did feel like the group didn't know the best way to get their feelings/opinions across. There might be some frustration with that. I think Ben (as usual) was the most clear getting his point across though.

At the same time, the more you avoid the subject, the more awkward it is when they eventually do talk about it. So it's better to not avoid stuff like this.

It was pretty clear they were holding back a bit. Funnily enough, I felt Ian wasn't as inflamed about the whole deal as Brandon and Ben were.

turn_on_the_bright_li1qa51.jpg
Unknown Pleasures by Editors. Fantastic album.
Can't stand when wannabe indie kids walk around in these Bloc Party tees...

Name me one of their paintings.

Is This It

I don't know why we're throwing around post-punk music but I'm happy to do so

Late but I loved their discussion on the Pewdiepie stuff on the podcast, especially Ben.
Yeah, I thought it was well done. I also don't understand* the "EZA shouldn't get political" argument some youtube commenters suggested -- it's a news story on a very popular streamer/"journalist", someone in the same profession as the EZA guys -- as Brandon pointed out. This is exactly the sort of "political" stuff (controversy is not inherently political) that they're very qualified to talk about, insofar as anyone is. It was a very interesting discussion as a result.

*I say I don't understand the argument -- I am aware of the reductive explanations, I just like to reject those

Yeah, I thought it was well done. I also don't understand* the "EZA shouldn't get political" argument some youtube commenters suggested -- it's a news story on a very popular streamer/"journalist", someone in the same profession as the EZA guys -- as Brandon pointed out. This is exactly the sort of "political" stuff (controversy is not inherently political) that they're very qualified to talk about, insofar as anyone is. It was a very interesting discussion as a result.

*I say I don't understand the argument -- I am aware of the reductive explanations, I just like to reject those

Yea, those arguments have never made much sense. Especially now as the line becomes less clear as games start to tackle more complex issues about things that are very relevant politically.

Dmax3901

To me it just comes off as these people not wanting to face the fact that the Allies probably wouldn't agree with/like them if they knew them in real life. Episodes where they discuss things - that really shouldn't be controversial or taboo topics at all - force them to come face to face with the idea that maybe they aren't as 'on the same page' with their favourite Ally as they thought.

Every time I see a comment shitting on Ian I think, "you know your favourite Allies love Ian and aren't going to like anyone having a go at him, right?"

Thought experiment: Say I'm a fan of PDP, and that he's in a group of 9 people like the allies, and all this shit happened with the n-word and the rest of his group DIDN'T condemn his actions. I damn well would lose favour with the entire group due to their implicit support of his racist bs. Same goes for people who don't like 'politics' in their podcasts or have it out for Ian, clearly, the Allies have a strong stance on these matters, and love Ian to bits, so maybe it's YOU that's the problem?

Mista Koo

Posing game is on point.

Wrong characters though. Should've been Koichi, Rohan, Polnareff, and.. ahh..
Also love the divisions names: west and coast.

Not into the Easy Update episode. Would rather have one about Don's, Damiani's, and Blood's(?) superior pets.

I know JoJo but thanks for the write up. Just couldn't place Ian. Damiani reminds me more of Caesar.
It is the same one. Caesar's is more popular due to the anime.

My channel has the most popular version of the FF7R + Shenmue reaction, and I have to delete so many comments about Elyse. Just due to the sheer volume of comments some have probably gotten through, but whenever I come across something like that, I delete it/hide user from channel.
Ironically Elyse is the only one I can relate to in that video.

Bahorel

Not into the Easy Update episode. Would rather have one about Don's, Damiani's, and Blood's(?) superior pets.

Lmao does this mean you're a cat person?

And yes the "stop with the politics" usually means one of two things. A) "you're condemning my own behavior and I don't like it" or B) "I'm bored and I don't care about why anyone else cares" which is also not good.

I listened to the podcast yesterday and they did an excellent job. Ben was amazing. I think they handled the whole thing very well and I hope that some of the gaf people from the original pdp thread are happy to hear it. Strangely the Allies were brought up a few times in that thread (originally people were asking for gaming channels that were free of hate but then people got spooked and were discussing "I hope my faves aren't secretly like this too" etc) Which of course they aren't and I hope that's all the more apparent. Anyway love and respect I thought y'all did a great job discussing it, Allies.

Auctopus

I really don't think FROM Software is announcing anything at TGS but I'd happily be wrong. Post-Dark Souls FROM Software seems too relevant to the West to reveal their latest big project at TGS.

Ian's Final Bet seemed weirdly specific (as if he knew something), although I'm not sure if he was just making a indirect prediction about Bloodborne.

Bahorel

I really don't think FROM Software is announcing anything at TGS but I'd happily be wrong. Post-Dark Souls FROM Software seems too relevant to the West to reveal their latest big project at TGS.

Ian's Final Bet seemed weirdly specific (as if he knew something), although I'm not sure if he was just making a indirect prediction about Bloodborne.

Sounded like he was covering bloodborne and armored core ("starts with the first six letters of the alphabet") Definitely the safest of the final bets

Friend has been trying to get me into the allies for a few months and after the latest podcast and easy update I'm hooked.

Loved the intelligent and respectful discussion they had about the internet drama. That's hard to come by.

bryanee

I hope they do better with the mic situation in the next betting special. It was a little annoying not hearing a bunch of stuff people were saying.

_Ryo_

This isn't really a question about Easy Allies or anything but I am interested in you alls opinion on Two/Super/ Best Friends Play. Are they good? I listened to their Persona spoilercasts and found them enjoyable but tbqh I don't want to start listening or watching their videos and then later find out that their really nasty or anything or if they are eager to defend pewdiepie. It's weird, that I have to take such precautions to even start listening to another podcast/stream but I guess it's just the kind of world we live in.

I trust the EZA community here and I agree for the most part with all the Allies opinions from the latest podcast re:pDP especially Ben. So if anyone also watches/listens to Best Friends Play/Cast, give me the downlow so I won't regret watching them pls? xd

ShadyK54

This isn't really a question about Easy Allies or anything but I am interested in you alls opinion on Two/Super/ Best Friends Play. Are they good? I listened to their Persona spoilercasts and found them enjoyable but tbqh I don't want to start listening or watching their videos and then later find out that their really nasty or anything or if they are eager to defend pewdiepie. It's weird, that I have to take such precautions to even start listening to another podcast/stream but I guess it's just the kind of world we live in.

I trust the EZA community here and I agree for the most part with all the Allies opinions from the latest podcast re:pDP especially Ben. So if anyone also watches/listens to Best Friends Play/Cast, give me the downlow so I won't regret watching them pls? xd

Been watching for years at this point, and have listened to their podcast since the beginning & they've never once said anything that would make some stop watching or anything. I don't think they would ever defend the actions of someone like PDP, especially Woolie.

_Ryo_

Been watching for years at this point, and have listened to their podcast since the beginning & they've never once said anything that would make some stop watching or anything. I don't think they would ever defend the actions of someone like PDP, especially Woolie.

Thanks! Guess I'll watch their Yakuza series to give me something to watch until the EZA Sony TGS Press Conference.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The podcast was great this week, as was the discussion regarding PewDiePie.

What is disappointing, if not straight up disgusting, are some of the comments on the video on YouTube. Don't get me wrong, I doubt many of them are actually fans of Easy Allies. Most are likely trolls who simply want to defend a racist.

The people posting nonsense like, "Well, I hope the Allies know that the WSJ report was very unfair and blah blah blah," in response to Ben talking about Felix having a history.

Listen, yes, the WSJ report absolutely had some issues. But that did not change the "death to all Jews" incident. It didn't change the shitty things Felix said before that on stream. And since then, he screamed the n-word on camera and almost said it again at least once.

So if you're in YouTube comments ranting with, "Yeah, sure, he said the n-word but the WSJ report was unfair a few months ago!" you're disingenuous. Also, a jackass.

Hasney

I hope they do better with the mic situation in the next betting special. It was a little annoying not hearing a bunch of stuff people were saying.

They won't, they're too animated for them for betting specials using the desk mics, but the quality is much better than the shotgun mic.

I wouldn't want to calm them down though.

ilium

I was having a 'conversation' with someone on Patreon who commented on a quote I posted, and after explaining to him what he misinterpreted about it, he deleted all his posts in that conversation. But not after telling me he felt offended by me copy&pasting that quote from neogaf (where I originally posted it anyway!) and then calling the book in question 'nonsense' and 'racist' lmao.

People are weird and that's clearly enough internet for me today.

Edit: I hope it was that guy from the Q&A

Budi

Listen, yes, the WSJ report absolutely had some issues. But that did not change the "death to all Jews" incident. It didn't change the shitty things Felix said before that on stream. And since then, he screamed the n-word on camera and almost said it again at least once.

So if you're in YouTube comments ranting with, "Yeah, sure, he said the n-word but the WSJ report was unfair a few months ago!" you're disingenuous. Also, a jackass.
I never got to read the entire article since there's a paywall, but I watched the video. And I really can't agree that there would be much "context" missing or that it was misleading in any way. And I assume the text doesn't paint a false narrative either. What these people seem to have issue with is that people aren't okay with Pewdiepie's attempts at humour. And somehow confuse people not accepting the "jokes" to not understanding the "jokes" because of the missing "context". Also the reasoning that WSJ would want to defame Pewdiepie out of fear because he is popular, is some tin foil hat shit

I also liked the discussion EZA had, been wishing for more of this stuff from them. Bring on the "politics".
Not real politics though, but any gaming/entertainment related discussion that makes certain set of people uncomfortable.

BBboy20

Bring on the "politics".
We're living in 1930s Germany.

Felix is the face of both gaming and YouTube.

White Supremacy is returning to it's dragon form rather than it's current chameleon state.

This form is encroaching on everyone and everything.

"Politics" is increasingly becoming unavoidable.

Visceir

Had some little niggling complaints here and there but they handled it alright. Would have been a good opportunity to do another Hoeg Law segment to get his input regarding the DMCA takedown.

Had some little niggling complaints here and there but they handled it alright. Would have been a good opportunity to do another Hoeg Law segment to get his input regarding the DMCA takedown.

His letter regarding fan games would generally apply. PDP is free to contest the takedown all the way to the courts to force an actual judgement, but I think it's unlikely he has the interest in pursuing that.

dickroach

His letter regarding fan games would generally apply. PDP is free to contest the takedown all the way to the courts to force an actual judgement, but I think it's unlikely he has the interest in pursuing that.

he gets 5 million views / day. I doubt he's worried about Firewatch videos from last year

Fanuilos

he gets 5 million views / day. I doubt he's worried about Firewatch videos from last year

True, but if the case were to go against him it would set a precedent that would not favor him or other youtubers/streamers. Many companies would be content to keep the status quo, but there would be companies that would use the precedent.

True, but if the case were to go against him it would set a precedent that would not favor him or other youtubers/streamers. Many companies would be content to keep the status quo, but there would be companies that would use the precedent.
OTOH, what indication do we have that he gives a shit about other streamers? He himself seems to be insulated from the market pressures because he's too big to fail, and would we be talking about this if he came across as the magnanimous, empathetic sort?

Top Bottom