• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eddie Guerrrero is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raw64life

Now that the initial shock of loss has passed, I think they should do what they know Eddie would've wanted on Smackdown. Have Benoit take his spot in the triple threat match and win the title.

"won a WWE Championship" -- wtf

don't you mean "when his character was WRITTEN TO WIN a WWE Championship"

Geezus, Lance Armstrong and an actor are hardly comparable when it comes to legitimate physical accomplishments

Well look, they don't give belts to people just at random. Not even the tag team belts. The belts may not be an athletic achievement per se, but they are an achievement as an entertainer.

Poor Eddie. He had a lot of personality, and was a great wrestler too. At least he went out as a face.

Keyser Soze said:
How about you drive in a car and stay as far as you can away from your family for 300 days of the year, train with weights and stuff the days you are at home and 4 hours a day every year then go to you cloest boxing club ask some on to throw you around in the ring for about 20 mins then do that about 20 times a month!

Ahh don't try to make me cry here. There are worst things in this world than that. I know what this kind has done is kinda tough and was probably the hardest thing in his life, but comon, he won a WWE tournament. He's not an athlete, he's an actor that lift weights. You can't deny that.

Matlock

Banned
Matthew Gallant said:
Well look, they don't give belts to people just at random. Not even the tag team belts.

The tag belts are given to the first two people who work together these days. :lol

Littleberu said:
He's not an athlete, he's an actor that lift weights. You can't deny that.

Work a match for 20 minutes, and get back to me. Then you'll see how much he's not an athlete.

Drinky Crow said:
"won a WWE Championship" -- wtf

don't you mean "when his character was WRITTEN TO WIN a WWE Championship"

Geezus, Lance Armstrong and an actor are hardly comparable when it comes to legitimate physical accomplishments

Ok now I know you're not serious.

Professional wrestling is a performance art. Yes, winning a championship does mean something in the business and it is an accomplishment. For the most part, to wear the main championship of a company means that to the management you are thought to be the best performer in the company (not always, but it is an assumption). You have fought through the politics and proven yourself on more than one occasion. You are handed nothing in the professional wrestling business. You have to earn everything.

It is an accomplishment : But it's no way an "triumphant victory" over his demons.

He's just another dude in spandex panties. There's more where he came from, and I'm sure they'll all have plenty of tragic character flaws to keep you in convenient self-indulgent television viewer grief for the next ten years as well.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
Littleberu said:
Good news everyone : WWE is fake.
orly-36497.jpg

Foodbunny

I'm half the way there, having been treated for cancer this year. My cancer isn't as serious as Lance's was, no metastates to the brain or lungs. And I could never ride in teh Tour de France and know that right off the bat.

You know what a triumphant victory is? Overcoming hardship and returning to what you love and being the best damn person at it. Lance won the Tour de France and that was a huge victory because he overcame cancer. Eddie returned to the business he loved and excelled. His hardship is not Lance's, his profession is not Lance's, and holding anyone up to the standard of Lance Armstrong is ridiculous.

J2 Cool

Drinky Cow and Maf love having a different viewpoint on a situation. Btw, Drinky Cow's tag is banned? Somebody finish the job please.

the_geche

Truly sad...

And to all you fucktards, I have trained as a professional wrestler. I've even worked a couple matches and I can attest that if you don't think these guys are athletes, then are a fucking dumbass.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Drinky Crow said:
He wasn't on the TEEVEE, MAF! Heroes get plenty of air time! Losers just get a box and a kick to the teeth!

Just as a side note, the word hero gets thrown around too much these days. Last week there was a school shooting in which the kid shot the principal, and throughout the whole weekend everyone was claiming the principal as a hero! A hero because he got shot by a kid? Whateva!

Hero's are stupid anyway. If you have heroes youll never be Number 1!

Crush your friends, crush your enemies! There is no team in I!

DCX

DCX
Wow, very sad news indeed. He was one of my favs, and not for nothing but now more than ever Smackdown is fucked. Batista out with injury, Christian leaving and now Eddie's death...who is left?

DCX

Fir the record, I think they're athletes. However, half of 'em are on steroids, and the entertainment they provide is largely vaudeville. I have nothing against folks liking wrestling, but in the end, wrestlers are all largely replacable, and unlike veterans or the Nobel set, they've done little to warrant any real respect beyond the ability to score some air time.

The fact that a burned out druggie of a "pro wrestler" gets a huge community outpouring of grief but our veterans collectively barely merit a nod *is* a creepy comment on how Americans especially value the trivialities of their lives and prefer to disacknowledge the dangers.

Matlock

Banned
DCX said:
Wow, very sad news indeed. He was one of my favs, and not for nothing but now more than ever Smackdown is fucked. Batista out with injury, Christian leaving and now Eddie's death...who is left?

DCX

Randy "Poop in your bag" Orton

FOR THE RECORD, the only things that bother me about this thread:

1.) The Veterans Day thread made 7 posts, half of them mocking veterans and veterans day.

Yeah thats about it. The rest was just my standard mockery.

DCX

DCX
MrAngryFace said:

1.) The Veterans Day thread made 7 posts, half of them mocking veterans and veterans day.

Are you really surprised? I mean this message board has a certain age group and mentality. I do find it very sad that a Veteran's Day thread gets 7 posts but i'm sure alot of real world topics fall to a similar fate while WWE/Gaming/Girl threads are instant multi-page threads that are bound for the GAF Hall of Fame...it's just life, and it's just the Internet...

DCX

J2 Cool

MrAngryFace said:

You should make it again, with an attractive eye-catching title. I missed it the first time.

3kuSaS

Unconfirmed Member
Death is death, whether they are a veteran, a junkie, a wrestler...It's still death,and it affects people other than you. To show this kind of a lack of respect for someones life, and peoples feelings...its just disgusting.

RIP Eddie.

Kuroyume

Banned
We celebrate fucking veterans day every damn year... Ever 365 fucking days a year. Cops, Firefighters, Teachers, etc... Yes we get it.

Drinky Crow said:
The fact that a burned out druggie of a "pro wrestler" gets a huge community outpouring of grief but our veterans collectively barely merit a nod *is* a creepy comment on how Americans especially value the triviliaties of their lives and prefer to disacknowledge the dangers.
Speaking as a veteran, I have no idea what you're talking about. Nobody joins the army so they can get props on GAF every year and if they don't see a damn big thread they get depressed. I mean, those car magnets are less empty of a gesture.

Veteran's Day is every year, and a message board is hardly the place to celebrate it. On the other hand, Eddie is only going to be dead once, and we talk about wrestling at least twice a week on this board.

It seems pretty obvious to me that there is absolutely nothing wrong here.

None of us RECOGNIZE veterans day anymore, we just go out shopping.

Veterans get propz every year. If you call that 7 post mockery of a veterans day thread propz you have some low standards.

Yeah, and Eddie Guerrero didn't die so he could get a big damn thread on GAF, either.

Speaking as a man whose father is a vet, I know my old man appreciates having people nod their head and say "thanks" once a year, because two tours of duty in 'nam as a frontline field medic kinda gives a person the idea that a little simple respect for the folks who put their asses on the line for our country, ill-guided as it may be sometimes, is in order.

No matter how you slice it, priorities ARE out of whack around here. Of course, I'll admit that's a pretty fuckin' obvious observation, but it never hurts to restate it from time to time. :/

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Kuroyume said:
We celebrate fucking veterans day every damn year... Ever 365 fucking days a year. Cops, Firefighters, Teachers, etc... Yes we get it.
Don't forget Memorial Day, too. Or Labor Day. Or D-Day in some places, too.

I understand that it's a crime that people don't openly speak up about veterans day, but it's a totally different thing that 9/11 taught us. We like our heroes to be larger than life and able to take on the world... not the everydayman like your soldiers or firefighters are. So is it any real surprise that we show more shock when the 'larger than life' people die than the people who make the choice and sacrifice without our praise? Certainly the soldier deserves our praise more than the wrestler, but at the same time soldiers are never really held up on pedastals of invincibility. It's more tragedy and less shock when we see soldiers die than it is when we see our 'Titans' die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom