• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eddie Guerrrero is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eddie Guerrero's "invincibility" was IN HIS SCRIPT.

I know, I know, "pro wrestling is fake lol lol" but wow, do you people REALLY buy into these storylines?

Littleberu said:
Yop, apparently I don't. That's it.

And on another note : Why is trolling wrestling not allowed, while Drinky Crow and MAF troll everything in their way? Or that some people troll movies thread?

Corrupted moderations.
MUBLER!!! You should really stop mubling because I can't understand a word you're saying.

Btw. Eddie.... I personally will miss you as well as the rest of the fans of the wrestling world.

TNA/ WWE / ECW / WCW - You made wrestling a fun sport to watch. RIP. :(

Foodbunny

When fans of, say, Buffy the Vampire Slayer talk about how she can knock down a two-story building with her furious hatefucking of Spike, no one is saying that Sarah Michelle Gellar has the pelvic power to demolish buildings.

A lot of wrestlers use their real names for their character names. If I was talking about the Undertaker got buried alive in every damn Buried Alive match ever, I'd call him Undertaker. If I wanted to talk about how he was a really nice, softspoken guy outside of the ring, I'd call him Mark Calloway.

Can't do that with Eddie since he's just Eddie.

The character of Eddie seemed invincible. The person of Eddie was vulnerable to drug addictions but had seemingly cleaned up. Both make his death hard to accept.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Drinky Crow said:
Eddie Guerrero's "invincibility" was IN HIS SCRIPT.

I know, I know, "pro wrestling is fake lol lol" but wow, do you people REALLY buy into these storylines?
no, not in the least. I don't even watch wrestling anymore... haven't since like my sophomore year in high school. But the fact still remains that he's held up on a pedastol, in the public eye, for people to see, thus its more shocking when he dies than the average soldier.

I mean, the difference is of a personal nature. People here simply go "omg he rox wtf rip" and then go on their merry way. but when a soldier dies that we know, it's a far more shocking experience, and it's an incredibly gripping situation that keeps people who knew the soldiers grieving for days and days and could probably change their lives. People just don't wave it around like a flag, because it doesn't make for good convo on gaf.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Holy shit I can't believe this... wow... life is so f'n unfair... meanwhile people who bring no joy to others continue to live.....

whytemyke said:
no, not in the least. I don't even watch wrestling anymore... haven't since like my sophomore year in high school. But the fact still remains that he's held up on a pedastol, in the public eye, for people to see, thus its more shocking when he dies than the average soldier.

I mean, the difference is of a personal nature. People here simply go "omg he rox wtf rip" and then go on their merry way. but when a soldier dies that we know, it's a far more shocking experience, and it's an incredibly gripping situation that keeps people who knew the soldiers grieving for days and days and could probably change their lives. People just don't wave it around like a flag, because it doesn't make for good convo on gaf.

Precisely. I don't see why it's so shocking and hard to believe that people will mourn the deaths more of people they knew rather than another average faceless person.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
For everyone trolling this thread, you suck.

But to make you understand, Eddy was a guy that had drug problems before, had alcohol problems before, almost died because of a DWI. He cleaned himself up enough to get the WWE Championship. To get that belt, you need to prove to the company that you are a great performer and they can trust you not to embarrass the company, are responsible, and in great shape. As the Champion you are going out doing PR, charity work, autograph signings, etc. So yes, from Eddy being a drug addict and alcoholic to being able to be trusted with the Championship, hell yes it was a great accomplishment.

To see him die is a sad day. Hopefully it isn't drug related, but either way it sucks. To come in here and make it a "Wrestling is fake so who cares" is bullshit and you know it. To troll someone's death, especially when you know that many on the board are effected by the death is repulsive. But alot of you social degenerates probably would wear a ban proudly for doing it.

APF

I think it's disgusting that people worship false idols in hollywood and in professional wrestling, while the threads about real heroes don't get any posts at all! I mean, sure, I didn't publically show my own thanks for veterans or fallen service men either, because thanking people is a private act you do in your own mind. But you guys are hypocrites for giving props to someone you watched specifically for years on television, because wrestling is fake and I can't tell the difference between ad copy and professional respect.

karasu

oh fuck the military. What kind of idiot do you have to be to tell people which stories to empathize with? jesus. Daddy didn't get enough ass kissing? Buy him a card and move on.

DarienA

Doug I think it's funny as hell that you choose this thread as an attempt to make your point, which regardless of its validity, isn't going to go anywhere... and that's coming from a vet to you. ;)

I'm curious though we have lots of death threads that get more posts than the Veterans thread that I participated in.... was it the closeness of this thread to Veterans Day that prompted your post, because I don't think I've seen you participate in any of the death threads or the Veterans Day thread.

EDIT:

karasu our avatars seem to be dancing together. ;)

On another note, I still remember the thread about a priest accidentally electrocuting himself. Just because he was a priest the whole thread was OMG TEH DUMBASS!! LOL!!! Meanwhile, some guy who probably just killed himself through drugs...what a tragedy.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
:(

Im really sad right now for alot of reasons. Eddie's comeback story was a real feel good story, him winning the title was one of the best moments of all time, seeing him and Benoit in the ring together at WM20 was really special, and yeah winning the title in the WWE is a victory like anything else. The fact that he was HAND PICKED to win the title means even more than winning a non-staged event. It means that the management had faith in him to carry the brand.

I feel bad for his family too, especially since they were so heavily involved in some of his storylines. I dont know them, but I know them to a much greater extent than *most* wrestlers families.

Im also really sad for very selfish reasons. I cant help but think about all the great storylines that we are going to miss out on, all the great matches that we wont get to see.. his latest feud with Batista was great.. him playing both heel and face at the same time was great and he was carrying Smackdown on his back for the last month or so.

RIP.

Darien, I don't post in either thread because A) I'll tell the war veterans I know personally that I appreciate the sacrifices they made, and B) celebrity deaths don't mean shit to me.

WHAT LOL WHAT

Rest in peace, Eddie.

He gave me some great moments to remember him by, from his classic matches with Dean Malenko in ECW to standing triumphantly mid-ring with Chris Benoit at WrestleMania XX. He was one of the best at what he did. It's a shame his addictions, whether he was truly able to clean himself up or not, have cut his life so short.

APF

All I'm saying is that you peons should do as I say, not as I do; and if I have to use the body of someone you respect and admire, along with the memories of US servicemen and women, as props to hypocritically assert my own moral superiority, so be it. In fact, I'm offended that you're offended!

DarienA

Drinky Crow said:
Darien, I don't post in either thread because A) I'll tell the war veterans I know personally that I appreciate the sacrifices they made, and B) celebrity deaths don't mean shit to me.

WHAT LOL WHAT

Ok but what made you pick this particular thread as a target for your "wrath". We get these threads all the time... The thing is as you well most of today's kicks don't know anything about the sacrifices that wartime vets have made... this generation(the one in this thread) doesn't have a connection to "war" per se. Unfortunately it's a disconnect that simpy being taught about wars in class doesn't bridge vs. having someone in your family have participated, suffered and perhaps died in.

Drinky and MAF make good points, but it's irrelevant to the thread taking place. You're not in any place to tell anyone who and when to mourn or respect, that is up to the people themselves. I'm sorry that your dad isn't as respected as a wrestler, but it's not our responsibility to post when and where you want us to post. We have that choice as people in a free country that your dad fought for.

I'm sad about the fact that my last great memory of Eddie is him being a total dick at the ECW PPV and sabotaging his match with Benoit because he didn't like how short the match was and that he'd lose cleanly. I wish I could have something more positive to recently remember him for.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Dont know if this was posted yet, but from pro wrestling torch

"Eddie Guerrero was found in his hotel room in Minneapolis with his toothbrush in his mouth. He apparently died while brushing his teeth. At this point, the belief among WWE personnel is that Guerrero died of heart failure.

Shortly after Guerrero's body was found and removed from the room, Chris Benoit, Rey Mysterio, Dean Malenko and Chavo Guerrero visited the hotel room to say their goodbyes. WWE wrestlers and staffers were visibly shaken and emotional while leaving the hotel to go the Target Center, the site of tonight's Raw/Smackdown taping. Word from WWE sources is that the tenor of tonight's taping will be dramatically different and that the Smackdown show will need to be revised.

Guerrero's death is now the lead story on WWE.com, under the headline "Tragic Loss". The article says that WWE is "deeply saddened" by Guerrero's death, and provides no further details on his passing."

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
My god... I can't believe Eddie is gone.

RIP, Eddie Guerrero. RIP.

And to all you guys arguing and bitching about who's death is more important: Fuck you. This thread is NOT the place to bring your stupid politics about who's death is more important than another's into the open. Take it to PM or email or a chatroom or another thread.

And if your response to that is something like "But he's just a performer! Who cares?! How can you not participate in the Veteran's Day thread?" I CARE. While I can appreciate what every war veteran has done (whether I agree with the particular war cause they are associated with or not), I don't know any of them personally. I don't follow their trials in war for several hours every week for years and years at a time.

Despite your varying opinions on how much he was a performer and how much he was an athlete, Eddie Guerrero is a man who provided many of us on GAF with hundreds of hours of entertainment. Many of us know details on his own personal life, we KNOW what he has overcome because he's put in a spotlight, and we thus connect with him more. There's much more of a connection between me and a wrestler who I have personally watched and been entertained by for hours and hours upon end than with, say, Private John Smith of the U.S. army, a guy who died in combat and whom I have no knowledge of outside of a small paragraph describing how he died and the names of his immediate family members under a black & white picture of him in newspapers.

That's why there's a bigger, more widespread reaction to the death of a president or a movie star or a professional sports player or a wrestler than there is to the death of any particular soldier in the army.

Now, regardless of that, I don't go into a veteran's day thread and mock the lives and deaths of soldiers just because I don't connect with them, because that's just fucking rude. If you don't give a shit about Eddie Guerrero's death, then STAY THE FUCK OUT OF THIS THREAD AND DON'T CRITICIZE OTHERS FOR PARTICIPATING IN IT.

I feel disgusted after typing that and knowing that I'll be posting this politicized garbage in this thread, but really, what some of you people are doing is just ridiculously disrespectful.

Matlock

Banned
http://www.onlineonslaught.com/columns/circa/20040528.shtml

Old article, but it's strangely appropriate.

As I sat and watched the Eddie Guerrero documentary "Cheating Death, Stealing Life" that aired on UPN Wednesday night, one revelation kept repeating in my head. I'd never stopped and thought about it until I saw Eddie weeping on camera, describing his near-death experiences with drugs, alcohol, and automobiles - or until I watched Dean Malenko explain how he, Chris Benoit, and Perry Saturn ratted Eddie out to Jim Ross because they feared if they didn't, they'd find Guerrero dead in his hotel room before long.

What kept running through my head the entire time was that Eddie Guerrero is Brian Pillman with a second chance. He's Pillman with a guardian angel. And if it weren't for the help of those around him - and his own will to live - Eddie would probably be where Brian Pillman is today.

The two men shared strikingly similar propensities for self-destruction. Listening to the current WWE Champion describe getting wasted on all the usual poisons - and then wrecking his car doing 130 mph into a curve while high - I couldn't help but think how much that sounded like Pillman's accident.

Eddie got a second chance. And really, calling it a second chance is very generous, since the accounts given by his family, friends, and co-workers on the documentary seem to indicate that Eddie got more like 10 or 12 "second chances."

What Guerrero repeatedly explained, with good reason, is that he had no control over his addiction. Guerrero will never, ever kill his addiction to drugs and alcohol. It is with him for the rest of his life. It is with him ever time he steps into the ring on Smackdown. He's not a recovered alcoholic. He's a recovering alcoholic. It might sound like a subtle difference, but given the example Eddie gave of his post-rehab relapse - where one glass of wine turned into a binging excursion and a trip to jail - the difference is huge.

Eddie went into that relapse thinking he was recovered. But there is no such thing. Eddie was merely recovering, and he'll be recovering forever, because addiction is impossible to completely remove. It's always there. The trick is stomping it out, one day at a time. Guerrero will concentrate on going the rest of the day without a drink or a pill. Then tomorrow, he'll focus on finishing that day. And so on.

When a wrestler like Brian Pillman dies, fans wonder aloud how such a vibrant guy could have perished. Pillman had so many friends; how did nobody see that he needed help? He was with the WWF every day; couldn't the McMahons have put their foot down? Why didn't anyone stop Brian Pillman? Why didn't anyone HELP Brian Pillman?

Lord knows I certainly don't have those answers, and I'd bet that if anyone does, they're the people closest to the situation and they don't want to talk about it. But I'll say this: God bless Dean Malenko for going behind his friend's back.

If you missed the documentary, Malenko described how Eddie Guerrero began showing up for work so visibly wrecked that one day, the fear of seeing Eddie die grew so big that he did something about it. Malenko, Benoit, and Saturn confronted Jim Ross as a group, and secretly informed him that Eddie needed help. Eddie had no idea they did it. But Ross and the WWF took it to heart, and sent Eddie to rehab.

That was one "second chance." Then Eddie gave in to his addiction one more time, and they fired him. Eventually, Eddie wound up losing his wife, his job, and people's respect. About the only thing he hadn't lost was his life. And as he said in the documentary, he was beginning to care less whether he lost that, too.

Fast forward to 2004. Eddie Guerrero has his wife back. He's got the respect of his family, friends and fans back. He was given yet another chance with WWE, and this time, he made the absolute best of it. He looks great in the ring. He is the WWE Champion. He's where he wants to be. He is successfully fending off his addictions.

He's everything, unfortunately, that Brian Pillman didn't become.

Our WWE Champion is a rare bright spot in an industry rife with tragic statistics. Bravo, Mr. Guerrero. And here's hoping more of your contemporaries will follow your lead.

Docpan

Littleberu said:
What? You guys are blind delusionnal fanboy or some shit? I'm no way trolling WWE or wrestling, but this DVD is just a BIG PR STUNT. The guy died, probably from drug overdose from what I heard, and this guy post a DVD that said "he fough back and won a WWE championship" after one of his drug overdose....

CLAP CLAP CLAP.

Seriously, shut the fuck up. This is a thread to honor a man who passed away at such a young age. Take your fucking shit elsewhere.

CB3

Damn, i was hoping id never see another WWE show like the Raw after Owen passed away. But im gonna have to tune into smackdown this week and watch...

J2 Cool

ColdBlooded33 said:
Dont know if this was posted yet, but from pro wrestling torch

"Eddie Guerrero was found in his hotel room in Minneapolis with his toothbrush in his mouth. He apparently died while brushing his teeth. At this point, the belief among WWE personnel is that Guerrero died of heart failure.

Shortly after Guerrero's body was found and removed from the room, Chris Benoit, Rey Mysterio, Dean Malenko and Chavo Guerrero visited the hotel room to say their goodbyes. WWE wrestlers and staffers were visibly shaken and emotional while leaving the hotel to go the Target Center, the site of tonight's Raw/Smackdown taping. Word from WWE sources is that the tenor of tonight's taping will be dramatically different and that the Smackdown show will need to be revised.

Guerrero's death is now the lead story on WWE.com, under the headline "Tragic Loss". The article says that WWE is "deeply saddened" by Guerrero's death, and provides no further details on his passing."

:( RIP

Fatalah

Something has to be done to help wrestlers. Is there a wrestling union? There should be. The WWE should do alot more to look over their talent, too many people have died. I want a clean federation, with serious drug testing.

I'll miss you Eddie. You were great.

Pimpwerx

Wow, that really sucks. I've liked him since LWO. I didn't know him well before that. Wrestlers are dying young. I'm guessing from roids and in-ring abuse more than just drugs. But hey, it's life. I don't really care for congressional hearings or stuff like that. I figure the industry will regulate itself eventually. Eddie will be missed. PEACE.

J2 Cool

Guzim said:

Seriously, that is an awesome moment. I heard a lot about it, and wish I had ordered that Wrestlemania. But it had been such a long time since I cared. It was great to see there were still some awesome performers, ready to put on a show for people. And those two deserved it so much. Will they have some sort of tribute match for Guerrero on Raw or Smackdown? How do they handle this? I have no clue what shape Benoit and Eddie's other friends are in right now emotionally. That's so hard to deal with.. It could be a very somber, respectful, or celebratory show for Eddie, but something will definitely be different.

J2 Cool said:
Seriously, that is an awesome moment. I heard a lot about it, and wish I had ordered that Wrestlemania. But it had been such a long time since I cared. It was great to see there were still some awesome performers, ready to put on a show for people. And those two deserved it so much. Will they have some sort of tribute match for Guerrero on Raw or Smackdown? How do they handle this? I have no clue what shape Benoit and Eddie's other friends are in right now emotionally. That's so hard to deal with.. It could be a very somber, respectful, or celebratory show for Eddie, but something will definitely be different.
Both shows are now tribute shows. Tonight they're taping both shows back-to-back.

CB3

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Both shows are now tribute shows. Tonight they're taping both shows back-to-back.

I want to watch raw on monday and see it "live" with everyone else, but i know ill be reading the report of both shows tonight because i want to see what happens

Raw64life

Guzim said:
I think since Smackdown was going to have the triple threat, they'll have Benoit in his place.

Raw64life said:
Now that the initial shock of loss has passed, I think they should do what they know Eddie would've wanted on Smackdown. Have Benoit take his spot in the triple threat match and win the title.

180px-Thumbs_up.jpg

On a side note I think it's hilarious how under the main headlines, they have two pics of Arnold and Masters doing the same pose.

Seriously though. Give Benoit that damn belt.

What a crazy thread. You know, I agree with some of the points made as far as the whole "why worship WWE? It's fake." I also don't think the whole show's entertaining, I'll even go so far as to say that I found it to be silly when I was 8-years-old, and I find the attitude and crap the franchise puts out to be repulsive. I also have little respect for many of the wrestlers, (save a couple like The Rock, who donated all that food to the island he was from), due to things like hitting women, causing problems on airplanes and just the general way everything's handled.

However, even with my almost loathing level towards wrestling (well WWE wrestling, olympic wrestling I can respect) clear, it really isn't the time to slam a dead man. It's sad whenever a life is lost, and despite the fact I dont agree with the worshipping, this should be viewed as a tragedy. A tragedy that a man only 38 years old died. Many of these men die young it seems, usually from drug or heart problems. I guess what I'm saying is, if you want to mourne then do so, but it's not cool to come into a thread about a person that has died, and start trying to break his life into bits, trying to somehow troll with a, "his life sucked anyway" theme.

That's all I gotta say on that.

LakeEarth

I'm watching the press conference right now... Chavo looks really out of it.

EDIT - Sounds like Eddie didn't fall off the wagon recently, he was talking to Chavo about being 4 years sober recently.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Wow. That's all I can say. I was looking foward to his turn on Batista. Just...shock.

CB3

LakeEarth said:
I'm watching the press conference right now... Chavo looks really out of it.

EDIT - Sounds like Eddie didn't fall off the wagon recently, he was talking to Chavo about being 4 years sober recently.

Press conference taking forever to buff. Chavo looks like he is about to break. :(

To all those making light of this guy's death, is it just a disrespect of wrestling? Would you be doing the same if a more respected entertainer like Bob Dylan, or Paul McCartney bought the farm?

Willco

Hollywood Square
Nobody is making light of his death. Whatshisface said that the documentary was laughable that he came back from his inner demons to win a championship, when a championship is nothing but a scripted event. It's not like he earned it through hard work.

I see a bunch of oversensitive wrestling fans, one person saying the documentary is a farce and two others bothered by the fact that this is three (correction: four!) pages and the Veteran's Day topic is like, five posts.

I don't see anyone saying, "Good riddance."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom