• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eddie Guerrrero is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Continued spoilers from raw

(5) Melina (from MNM) won a diva battle royal. All active divas on the roster, excluding Lita, participated in the battle royal. Maria was said to have done very little during the match, and spent most of her time in it avoiding physical contact.

(6) Eugene defeated Simon Dean. Eugene won it with the Rock Bottom.

They then aired a video of Chris Benoit and Eddie together. Benoit gave a speech about how close he and Eddie were. He broke down during the speech, as this was clearly a very emotional time for Benoit. He said, "Thank you for everything you've given me. I'll never forget you. I love you."

After this, Triple H gave a speech about Eddie. This was an inopportune time for Hunter to give his speech, following Benoit like that. It was said that a skeptic might have questioned Hunter's intentions. Hunter said Eddie was well liked by everyone in the locker room, and that no one had a bad thing to say about him.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Shard said:
Hoefully Eddie is having 5 star matches with the likes of Owen Hart, Brian Pillman, and Mr. Perfect in wrestling heaven right now.
I'm sure Stu Hart is training some other guys in heaven right now, too, to join the OWF (Otherwordly Wrestling Federation). :)

Boogie said:
*insert picture of David Arquette with WCW Championship belt here*

Which, of course, has nothing to do with Eddie Guerrero earning his title run.

When people turn their lives around, overcome various drug addictions, and manage to rise to the top of their profession they have achieved a triumphant life victory. Additionally, Eddie transcended the role of mere entertainer when he used his past mistakes to spread a positive, inspirational message in order to guide others along a better path.

Most of the "honest opinions" I've seen in this thread neglect basic human compassion and instead are using someone's death to further their own selfish agendas.

Mr Gump

Banned
I believe someone put it best when they said "When you die, im going to laugh at how far you made it in your chosen profession."

No offense to anybody else works at McDonalds.

Final Spoilers:

(7) Ric Flair defeated William Regal. The finish came when Flair made Regal submit to the figure four leglock. Flair had an Eddie Guerrero arm band on, and played it up for the crowd and got a nice ovation for it.

They then aired clips of Eddie Guerrero and his relationship with Chyna, and things that went on during that time period.

(8) John Cena defeated Randy Orton by disqualification. The finish came when "Cowboy" Bob Orton interfered on his son's behalf. The match was said to have been not very long and not very good.

Overall, the best match of the taping was Rey Mysterio vs. Shawn Michaels, but in general the focus was on Eddie Guerrero, and in no way would that be considered a match of the year candidate. There were no promos (other than the tribute speeches for Eddie) and no angles whatsoever. Just video packages and matches.

MrDaravon

ManDudeChild said:
What a crazy thread. You know, I agree with some of the points made as far as the whole "why worship WWE? It's fake." I also don't think the whole show's entertaining, I'll even go so far as to say that I found it to be silly when I was 8-years-old, and I find the attitude and crap the franchise puts out to be repulsive. I also have little respect for many of the wrestlers, (save a couple like The Rock, who donated all that food to the island he was from), due to things like hitting women, causing problems on airplanes and just the general way everything's handled.

However, even with my almost loathing level towards wrestling (well WWE wrestling, olympic wrestling I can respect) clear, it really isn't the time to slam a dead man. It's sad whenever a life is lost, and despite the fact I dont agree with the worshipping, this should be viewed as a tragedy. A tragedy that a man only 38 years old died. Many of these men die young it seems, usually from drug or heart problems. I guess what I'm saying is, if you want to mourne then do so, but it's not cool to come into a thread about a person that has died, and start trying to break his life into bits, trying to somehow troll with a, "his life sucked anyway" theme.

That's all I gotta say on that.

QFT. I could go on about my intense dislike of the WWE and it's stupidity, but that has nothing to do with this man's death, take it to another thread or something. Normally I'd suggest making a thread if people want to take up the issue, but just posting negatively about wrestling seems to be bannable around here.

Guzim

Some of Smackdown's spoilers
After a quick set change, they moved Eddie's car to the aisle. It was confirmed that Tazz and Michael Cole were doing commentary for the show.

Batista came out, and said he didn't know if he should be the one to out there at this time. He said, "He'd hate to see me out here crying like a baby. There's two things I know: He loved his family and he loved this business. He found peace in this ring. My one comfort is knowing Eddie is now at peace. He is with God. I miss you, I love you, I will make sure no one ever forgets you."

(1) Matt Hardy defeated Carlito Cool. Hardy won the match with a Twist of Fate. After the match, Hardy hung around Eddie's car for a bit. He did not get as emotional as some of the other wrestlers on this night, though.

Vince McMahon then came out to say some words. He said Eddie loved to perform, and then gave one of his trademark big gulps. He said there was one thing Eddie loved more than wrestling and that was his family. Vince talked about how everyone, all the wrestlers and production people and everything, were his family. He concluded by saying, "Eddie was a good man. A damn good man."

(2) LOD defeated Lance Cade & Trevor Murdoch. After the match, Big Show gave a speech about Eddie. He said, "My only comfort with losing a friend is knowing that all the pain is gone. He is with God. Now he is safe. I love you, bro." Show broke down during the course of his speech.

(3) Chavo Guerrero defeated JBL. Late in the match, Chavo threw a chair to JBL and took a ghost bump. The referee turned around to find the chair in JBL's hands, and admonished him for it. This got a huge pop from the crowd, who chanted "Eddie!" Chavo hit the three amigos suplexes and the frogsplash to get the victory.

After the match, Chavo thanked the fans. He said Eddie gave his life for the business, for the fans, and for the boys in the back. He said, "I know you all will miss Eddie Guerrero."

Guzim said:
Chavo Guerrero defeated JBL. Late in the match, Chavo threw a chair to JBL and took a ghost bump. The referee turned around to find the chair in JBL's hands, and admonished him for it. This got a huge pop from the crowd, who chanted "Eddie!" Chavo hit the three amigos suplexes and the frogsplash to get the victory.

:) <3 Respect, and all that kinda stuff

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I've been off the internet all day, due to extenuating circumstances, so I'm just hearing about this now. There are so many awesome moments frmo Eddie's career that are running through my head right now, I don't know where to start. The Latino World Order? His run with Chyna? The awesome work he did elevating Chavo as part of Los Guerreros? The great matches he had as part of the Smackdown Six? His feud and culminating ladder match with Edge? Fuck fuck FUCK this makes me sick. There's something wrong in the WWE - hell wrestling, period - and I'm not going to say anything about steroid/hard drug use until we see a full report...but something's gotta give. I'm tired of seeing talented guys die under suspicious circumstances, and I'm tired of hearing about older wrestlers succumb to the demons involved when you live your life on the road 300 days of the year. RIP Eddie, you will be sorely missed.

Littleberu - good day to you sir.

Zen

Banned
RIP Ediie, I'm still sore about you defeating Blitzkreig back in the old days of WCW ( Along with the other 137 wrestlings who did it =( :) ) but you've always been entertaining. Reguardless of weither you pass on from drugs, or the abuse of the drugs that you had since left behind, RIP. :)

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Drinky Crow said:
Fir the record, I think they're athletes. However, half of 'em are on steroids, and the entertainment they provide is largely vaudeville. I have nothing against folks liking wrestling, but in the end, wrestlers are all largely replacable, and unlike veterans or the Nobel set, they've done little to warrant any real respect beyond the ability to score some air time.

The fact that a burned out druggie of a "pro wrestler" gets a huge community outpouring of grief but our veterans collectively barely merit a nod *is* a creepy comment on how Americans especially value the trivialities of their lives and prefer to disacknowledge the dangers.
I spent the early morning of November 11th in the pouring rain at the Veteran's Memorial in my hometown, with my father and my son. I wasn't posting about my experience here because I didn't feel the need to display an "outpouring of grief" while paying my respects, as you so succinctly put it. Thank you ever so much for setting me straight.

MAF, your contributions as of late have been sorely lacking. Consider your troll card pulled.

Matlock said:
You missed one of the three amigos, but gracias.
He wasn't missed.

Triumph

Banned
This is absolutely terrible. I just got home after a 15 hour shift at work and find this. Terrible.

R.I.P. Eddie. You will be missed and even though some no talent jackass will take your spot, no one will take your place.

Takuan

Eddie was always so intense on the mic and I enjoyed his in-ring performances. Here's hoping his death wasn't drug related, even though in all likelihood it probably was. It's a huge loss for wrestling.

bishoptl said:

jrballsfast7et3vh.gif

Matlock

Banned
DMczaf said:

You make a strong point...but...

Drinky Crow
nhb8.gif

The ass still remains.

bishoptl said:
I spent the early morning of November 11th in the pouring rain at the Veteran's Memorial in my hometown, with my father and my son. I wasn't posting about my experience here because I didn't feel the need to display an "outpouring of grief" while paying my respects, as you so succinctly put it. Thank you ever so much for setting me straight.

...but not unburned.
emotpatriot3cw.gif

evil ways

Just caught the rerun of my local news and I was surprised to see they covered Eddie's death. They mentioned that the death was apparently caused by heart failure.

I'd really like to believe that perhaps all those years of alchohol & drug abuse, plus the abuse on his body from wrestling and grueling schedules caught up with him.

ToxicAdam

Eh.. people were making jokes 3 minutes after Dale Earnhardt and Owen Hart died on message boards. Some things never change.

Eddie is dead, but Konnan still lives. Life is not fair.

I just found out about this while watchnig the TNA PPV (which was a greta show BTW).

At first I was perplexed by the Eddie signs in the crowd as I've been away from a computer all day. Then Konnan spoke... then I knew what had happened. My heart just sank.

I'm shocked and saddened. My stomach turned a bit when I saw the WWE front page. Just utter disbelief.....

Much love Eddie, you will be missed by wrerstling fans everwhere.... I still have a hard time believing it..... Rest in peace Eddie, you;ve lived a hell of a rough life and you should have been able to go out on YOUR terms... you deserved that much.

Eddie_Guerrero_-_Eddie_Guerrero_28.jpg

Rest well Eddie, we all love you and miss you and you can NEVER be replaced.

Final SD Spoilers...

(4) Juvi won a cruiserweight battle royal. The competitors included Tajiri, Shane Helms, Paul London, Kid Kash, Brian Kendrick, Scotty 2 Hotty, Nunzio, Funaki, Psicosis, Super Crazy and Juvi. It came down to London and Juvi. London was on Juvi's shoulders, and then both went over the top rope. London hit the floor first, and Juvi managed to keep himself on the ring apron.

(5) Chris Benoit defeated Triple H in about 13 minutes. Benoit finished things off with the top rope headbutt, locked in the crossface, and then managed to leverage Hunter into a pinning combination from the crossface to get the victory. After the match, they hugged and shook hands. Dean Malenko came out, and while he did not say anything, he celebrated with Benoit and held his arm up in victory.

Afterward, Benoit said, "Eddie was a man who walked through every possible valley you can imagine. Eddie was a true inspiration to every life he touched. We'll always love you and miss you." The crowd didn't leave until Benoit's speech was over, as they were very interested in what he was saying.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
The ghost bump, guy caught holding a chair who did nothing wrong almost had me crying when I read it.

I also have a huge favor to ask. Im going to be on a buisness trip all week, and I dont know if the hotel Im in gets USA or not. Its an Embassy Suites so it only gets a few channels, and odds are not good I'll get to see it. I'll be back home Friday night for smackdown, but if someone could encode the tribute bits for me. I dont really care about the matches.

I've been in a funk all day :(

33BADSEED4.jpg

Zen

Banned
When do the Raw and Smackdown shows air? Have they already aired or are they this week. I don't watch wrestling anymore really, but I'll be tunning in.

CB3

Zen said:
When do the Raw and Smackdown shows air? Have they already aired or are they this week. I don't watch wrestling anymore really, but I'll be tunning in.

Raw-9 EST
Smackdown- 8 EST if i remember correctly

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
ColdBlooded33 said:
Raw-9 EST
Smackdown- 8 EST if i remember correctly

this is correct, I will add that Raw is still on Monday nights and Smackdown is on Fridays now, just make sure no one misses this.

CB3

Oh man, i just remembered this is gonna be on at the same time as monday night football.
I have a feeling im gonna be using the recall button on my remote alot...

Shinobi

I decided to avoid this thread until now (first time I've even clicked on it) due to all the silliness that I knew was taking place. Seen enough shit on this board the last few weeks to give me an ulcer, and I didn't need to speed up that process.

Damn shame that he's gone...from all accounts he was still on the wagon, so this might've just been stuff from the past catching up to him. I also wouldn't be surprised if his own pressure to perform in the main event and his apparant depression from (in his own account) failing to carry the company as champion as well as he'd hoped played a role in his passing, but I guess speculating is pointless until the report comes out. Anyway, I'll defintely miss seeing him...one of the few performers in WWE who can do it on the mic as well as in the ring, and was always fun to watch. RIP.

ManaByte

Gold Member
StoOgE said:
this is correct, I will add that Raw is still on Monday nights and Smackdown is on Fridays now, just make sure no one misses this.

And add that Raw is Monday on USA network and Smackdown is Friday on UPN.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
I dont know what to say, I really don't. I just watched the that highlight vidoe that was posted, i heard from a friend he died earlier today, but it didnt really sink in until i remembered how much a great wrestler he was. :(

:(

i just read the news from fox sports site. eddie was one of the reasons why i loved watching live wrestling.

latino heat will be remembered.

Really sorry to hear about this. Eddie was the f'n best.

rsilva13, do you have that pic in a higher resolution? I'd really like to make that my new desktop.

Guzim

From Jericho's site,
I am devastated by the news of Eddy's passing and I am so sad...

I've lost alot of friends over the years but this one hurts the most by far.

I had the pleasure of meeting Eddy in Mexico City almost 14 years ago and we've been close ever since (although it didn't start that way!) He is one of my favorite people that I've ever met in the wrestling business, as well one of the greatest performers I've ever seen and had the pleasure to work with. One of my favorite times in my career was when Eddy and I were an underutilized, underpushed, hell, almost non-exisitant tagteam, that were thrown together randomly in WCW. But there was a chemistry there that existed becuase we had mutual respect for each other and we both loved what we were doing. One of my most cherished matches was myself and Eddy vs Chris and Dean in Knoxville, on a benefit show for our dear friend Brian Hildebrand. All four of us started the same way and had the same love and respect for the business, for Brian and for each other...it was a magical night. My best match of 1997 was against Ed at Fall Brawl that year. He was as talented as they come and a true class act.

He was also so humble and a true family man and most importantly a warrior for God. He taught me so much about wrestling and about being a man and it is an honor to call him a true brother and friend.

I have so many classic Eddy stories that I would love to share, but instead I'm just going to go and cry myself to sleep remembering what an awesome human being Eddy was and will always be...

May God bless your family and your soul and may he keep you safe forever putillo falso....I love you my brother...

Love your chapete
frontpage10uu.jpg

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Rowdy Roddy Piper has a point. I don't care if "The Sickness" is a gimicky way of saying it. Pro wrestling has a syndrome associated with it in this country. Look at all the early deaths:

* Eddie Guerrero
* Crash Holly
* Curt Hennig
* The Big Bossman
* Road Warrior Animal
* Owen Hart
* Brian Pillman
* Rick Rude
* Bruiser Brody
* The British Bulldog
* Yokozuna
* Miss Elizabeth

Who's had a happy ending, outside of Ricky Steamboat? As much as certain wrestlers are criticized by their peers and by fans for not being dedicated to "the business," some level of distance seems almost necessary to keep sane and healthy.

Think of it this way: An industry attracts mainly poorer, lesser educated workers, who travel 50 weeks a year, are treated like "independent contractors," given very little long-term job security, suffer pain every day they work when things go well and get injured when they don't, and to top it all off, the industry is practically a monopoly. Is it any wonder there's this level of suffering and death?

Wrestlers need to unionize, or else WWE needs to deeply re-think the way it organizes itself, otherwise these problems are just going to persist. Fat chance of either one of those two things happening, though.

Drinky: Three points.

1) "Yeah well how bout Veteran's Day?" is on par with any number of InstaMalkinFootballs "Why aren't the liberals posting about Kurdistan?" rants. I don't know why you think that any time and energy spent caring about entertainers takes away from Important Things any more than PC gaming, DVD watching, God-blaspheming non-reproductive sex, etc.

I mean, is it disrespectful of those dying and being maimed in Iraq if I sulk about Arrested Development being cancelled? I sure hope not.

2) Of course half of them are on steroids. There's only one major employer in the country now, and they make steroids a de facto condition of employment.

3) The Nobel set? Honkey please. Eddie would have smoked Harold Pinter, and his dramatic pauses.

rsilva13 said:
Human_Shield, it would be my pleasure.
Anybody else feel free to use it (it's not like i could stop you).

Here:
1280x1024
1280x1024 (without tagline)
1024x768
1024x768 (without tagline)

Short story behind picture:
It's from his visit down to Australia (return of the deadman tour). It ended up being the only good picture thanks to the flash in the background to help with the lighting.

rsilva. thanks. Great picture for an appropriate tribute to the legend of Eddie.
Dammit, it's even harder to believe today than it was last night.

Raw is going to be HARD to watch tonight. Eddie seemed to be a guy who was loved by everyone backstage... Even HHH gets broken up tonight.

Shinobi

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...the only way dramatic change is going to occur within this company and the industry in general is if somebody dies in the ring on live TV. And I don't mean the way Owen did where a set of circumstances begat an accident. I mean someone being in a chokehold or an arm bar, literally just dropping dead right out of the blue. That's the only thing that's going to give this company the kick in the ass it needs. Alas I fear it'll give reason for Congress to legislate the fuck out of it themselves and go well overboard, but they've had more then enough opportunities to fix things themselves and have failed to do so.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
There are two ways things could change, and neither of them are likely at all.

First, enough of the top talent in WWE demands changes, and has enough leverage to force it. This won't happen because Vince has been very careful to consolidate power, very much so since the disaster with Bret.

He promotes company men like HHH and JBL, he favors WWE-developed talent over ECW/WCW/indy pickups, and he makes sure WWE trademarks everything it can so that a wrestler isn't able to export their gimmick if they leave. There will be no rebellion.

The second possibility is a rival federation offers a better deal which addresses the problems. This is also unlikely, because there isn't enough of a market to easily raise capital. The only time WWE had major competition was when Ted Turner, out of nostalgia more than anything, opened his checkbook. I don't see Mark Cuban, Bill Gates, or George Soros deciding to fund this sort of thing.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
bishoptl said:
I've been off the internet all day, due to extenuating circumstances, so I'm just hearing about this now. There are so many awesome moments frmo Eddie's career that are running through my head right now, I don't know where to start. The Latino World Order? His run with Chyna? The awesome work he did elevating Chavo as part of Los Guerreros? The great matches he had as part of the Smackdown Six? His feud and culminating ladder match with Edge? Fuck fuck FUCK this makes me sick. There's something wrong in the WWE - hell wrestling, period - and I'm not going to say anything about steroid/hard drug use until we see a full report...but something's gotta give. I'm tired of seeing talented guys die under suspicious circumstances, and I'm tired of hearing about older wrestlers succumb to the demons involved when you live your life on the road 300 days of the year. RIP Eddie, you will be sorely missed.

You said it Bish... Eddie has had some great runs as heel and face... as well as s elevating those around him.. so many great memories... WCw and WWE... <sigh> it's just not fair at all.....

Ryck

Rip Eddie this has truly truly shocked and upset me....For the assholes, you guys have absolutley no class none whatsoever, I know this is a message board and sometmes we act foolish and say stupid things but damn..

vitaflo

Sad sad sad. ;_;

I haven't watched wrestling for a long time but was a huge fan of Eddie back in WCW and later when he came to WWE. I've set the Tivo to tape Raw and Smackdown this week. It all seems surreal. RIP Eddie.

Those trolling this thread really need to check themselves. I agree we should honor our Vets, but this is not the thread to prove that point. Even if you think wrestling is worthless, and our posts would be better suited to something more meaningful, then perhaps we should remind you of that when you constantly troll the gaming forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom