• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Edge" is free?! EA to Tim Langdell: "Fuck you"

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
via Eurogamer, click to see full article

Electronic Arts has petitioned the US Patent & Trademark Office to cancel a range of registrations associated with Edge Games, Inc.

EA's interest stems from Mirror's Edge, which came out last year. "Since 2008, Registrant [Edge Games] has continuously threatened to file suit against EA for distributing the Mirror's Edge game on the basis of his purported 'family of registered EDGE marks'. Petitioners reasonably believe that Registrant will contest their right to use the Mirror's Edge mark," the petition noted.

this has been discussed in other threads, I reckon it's thread worthy.

three cheers for EA?

Jonnyram

I'm going to trademark the word "Loser" so that when Tim Langdell eventually becomes one, I'll rob him of any pennies he might have left.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
smh. Langdell has clearly very much misunderstood the spirit, at least, of trademarking. You can trademark 'regular' words in very specific contexts (i.e. you could trademark a word for a specific trading purpose), but it doesn't close others from using the same word in other trading contexts, and has no bearing whatsoever on other marks that may use that word as part of their mark.

You can't trademark a word and then turn around and start threatening anyone who uses the word in any other mark! Hope the USPTO revokes his trademarks.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Tim Langdell is not patenting anything. This is all about Trademarks.

Hope EA wins.

Ponn

Banned
gofreak said:
smh. Langdell has clearly very much misunderstood the spirit, at least, of trademarking. You can trademark 'regular' words in very specific contexts (i.e. you could trademark a word for a specific trading purpose), but it doesn't close others from using the same word in other trading contexts, and has no bearing whatsoever on other marks that may use that word as part of their mark.

You can't trademark a word and then turn around and start threatening anyone who uses the word in any other mark! Hope the USPTO revokes his trademarks.

Correct. I have no idea why Namco even caved in for Soul Edge. Hasbro has been doing this all along. They lost trademark on several Transformers names like Bumblebee and hound and for awhile were calling them in print Autobot Bumblebee and Autobot Hound and the same for some others. Just because you trademark the name of a property doesn't mean you own every use of the words used everywhere else. Thats just BATshit insane. (TM DC Entertainment)

Next up:
145hmh.jpg

Is there nothing we can to to help this, and make sure the people involved listen. A corporate email address or something to send complaints en masse to?

I'm so glad that a behemoth like EA released this game and is standing up against him.

Unlike all the others he threatened, EA has deep pockets and doesn't fear a battle in court.

I normally don't root for EA, but this time I seriously hope they win. Langdell's bullshit needs to stop!

AniHawk

Keyser Soze said:
Is there noting we can to to help this... an corporate email address or something to send complaints en masse to?
2wfipms.jpg

Title: CEO/Lead Designer & Developer
Company: EDGE Games
Address: 530 South Lake Avenue, #171
Pasadena, CA
United States
Phone: 6264494334

2ik353n.png

Hahaha I just looked up their website for the first time. I have a feeling that this is the entirety of the content that has been made for the game "Mirrors" by "Edge". I hate guys like this.

AniHawk said:
http://i35.tinypic.com/2wfipms.jpg/IMG]

Title: CEO/Lead Designer & Developer
Company: EDGE Games
Address: 530 South Lake Avenue, #171
Pasadena, CA
United States
Phone: 6264494334[/QUOTE]

I dont think emailing him helps.

I was more concerned about alerting the people who grant the Trademark, to show how badly he is misusing it. If a large enough quality shows up in their inbox then it can only help the cause to get this guy knocked the fuck out

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
oh hell fucking yes. I was just reading the other thread wishing some big company would take him down, and as i scroll down I see EA have started to do just that :lol

I seriously hate that this guy was allowed to get rich off being a complete prick and laying claim to the use of the word EDGE everywhere. That he is associated to one of the industries most respected magazines is ridiculous.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
He stole Edge magazine's logotype?

Or...?

(I remember eons ago Edge reported how tickled they were that there was an Edge magazine in the US with a very similar logotype, but it was dedicated to...er..the naked male form, by men for men).

Yoboman

gofreak said:

Or...?

(I remember eons ago Edge reported how tickled they were that there was an Edge magazine in the US with a very similar logotype, but it was dedicated to...er..the naked male form, by men for men).
Haha I was about to say... They aren't related to Edge magazine are they?

Vagabundo

gofreak said:

Or...?

Edge magazine has bought his licence - or piece of shitty toilet paper - as far as I know.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ponn01 said:
Correct. I have no idea why Namco even caved in for Soul Edge.

They did? WTF? That doesn't make any sense.

They have their own 'Soul Edge' trademark. Any action would have been thrown out.

Indeed if you search for 'Edge' in the uspto you see there are multiple trademarks registered under different classifications by different people. This dude doesn't even have exclusive rights to the word 'edge' on its own in trademarks let alone as part of any other trademark. EA has their own 'mirrors edge' mark too.

This guy would get nowhere with litigation, surely he understands that? And surely someone like Namco would too?

Vagabundo said:
Edge magazine has bought his licence - or piece of shitty toilet paper - as far as I know.

I wonder if that came before or after they started up... and I highly doubt they borrowed the logotype?

Anyway...if he has a trademark for 'Edge' in the magazine classification, that's fair enough. But that's a whole other kettle of fish to all these other uses.

billy.sea

Banned
Does he get any money out of all these lawsuits? Because it would be sad if he does.

Actually it's even worse if he doesn't, because that means he has serious mental problem for suing people for nothing.

kaizoku

oh my god, I wa slsow but it finally clicked, Mirrors by Edge - Mirror's Edge. Hooooly shit what a fucking douche.

I am already amazed.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Aquavelvaman said:
2ik353n.png

Hahaha I just looked up their website for the first time. I have a feeling that this is the entirety of the content that has been made for the game "Mirrors" by "Edge". I hate guys like this.
PS3? I bet Kaz doesn't like this guy claiming to be making a game for them. It's outright lies.

jett

D-Member
Does his livelihood involve anything but being a trademarking douchebag? :lol This could royally fuck him up. EA ftw.

kaizoku

who's responsible for EA's transformation from horrible company to all kinds of awesome?

they deserve some mad props.

Xater

kaizoku said:
who's responsible for EA's transformation from horrible company to all kinds of awesome?

This guy:

hte8ep.jpg

EDIT: Damn you Keyser Soze! :lol

Woo-Fu

Banned
He should make a game where gamers get to punch him in the face, he'd probably make more money. (I'm talking about Langdell, don't get confused by the two posts before mine)

AniHawk

kaizoku said:

Probably my favorite thing this gen has been EA's turnaround.

hamchan

Woo-Fu said:
He should make a game where gamers get to punch him in the face, he'd probably make more money. (I'm talking about Langdell, don't get confused by the two posts before mine)
:lol Good thing you had that bracketed bit

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
For those who're hearing about Tim Langdell for the first time, do a forum search on him. There are several threads in the past few months highlighting his dubious actions, mostly started when he got the iPhone game "EDGE" pulled from the app store. Lots of good stuff were dug up about his shady history; including not paying developers, stalking women, etc.

sinxtanx

This guy sort of deserves to be stripped of all his trademarks. He is clearly a criminal. And a douche. And a parasite. I don't like his BEARD. He should be stripped of his beard.

Aquavelvaman said:
2ik353n.png

Is that shit real ? :lol

Looks like a site i made when i was 12, only without dancing babies.

poweld

As weird as it feels to be rooting for EA and opposing an independent developer...

Yeah this guy is all kinds of fuckwad rolled into a greedy talentless husk. I hope he realizes the err of his ways.

Oh, and maybe he can actually make a game for once and begin redeeming himself.

Milk Lizard said:
Is that shit real ? :lol
AFAIK it's been up there since Mirror's Edge was released as a jab at EA for "stealing" his trademarked word: EDGE. :lol

Aquavelvaman said:
2ik353n.png

As to what the "MIRRORS (by) EDGE" was about: EA wrote us saying that in their opinion our game Mirrors would never been confused with their game Mirror's Edge even if we promoted it using our house brand EDGE. From the moment we started promoting it using our house brand EDGE we have been flooded with people linking MIRRORS by EDGE with EA's game Mirror's Edge, thus proving EA wrong. Their use of Mirror's Edge is likely to cause confusion in the consumers mind with our use of our marks Mirrors and Edge, and while it can tend to be reverse confusion (since they have marketed Mirror's Edge so well and our game has yet to be launched) their use is still an infringement of our registered rights, proved in part by all the recent public discussion of our legitmate use of MIRRORS by EDGE to promote our upcoming game.

http://www.the--edge.com/edgegames/mobigame.htm

:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom