• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE - Sony Conference Report

Corto

Stumpokapow said:
So, I know the developer is different and the focus of the game is different, but was Sorcery canned in favour of Dead Man's Quest? Is Dead Man's Quest a followup of the Sorcery project? Or does Sorcery still exist?

It seems weird to announce a Move exclusive spell-casting fantasy action game in 2010, delay it multiple times, and then announce a Move exclusive sword-and-steel fantasy action game in 2011 for release around Christmas with no mention of the previous game.

I have a funny feeling that Sorcery will resurface as Demon's Souls 2. Maybe when Dark Souls comes out Sony will announce this...

NemesisPrime said:
I hope you were not really expecting that???

Hey... I expected a "Gabe Newell" moment on this conference those would be akin to that.

I reckon Gamescom will be big for PS3 games.

If we look at the locations of the teams we are expecting announcements from, they are (largely) either in Europe or Scandinavia.

- Quantic Dream
- Studio London
- DONTNOD Entertainment
- Tarsier Studios
- Guerilla Games (There were rumours of a PS3/Vita cross platform project)
- Studio Cambridge (They are working on Killzone Vita)

Fallout-NL said:
Yup, and rightly so.

Move seems have occupied a small space of limited appeal...but I wonder how long kinect can run...in the long I think it will just be another form of control, which is in no way suitable for all types of games...I mean driving games without a steering wheel?

V_Ben

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
So, I know the developer is different and the focus of the game is different, but was Sorcery canned in favour of Dead Man's Quest? Is Dead Man's Quest a followup of the Sorcery project? Or does Sorcery still exist?

It seems weird to announce a Move exclusive spell-casting fantasy action game in 2010, delay it multiple times, and then announce a Move exclusive sword-and-steel fantasy action game in 2011 for release around Christmas with no mention of the previous game.

People had appointments at GDC to see sorcery, but those were cancelled... I do wonder about that game now.

Also, what mad logic dictated that Dead Bloke Game wasn't going to be Medieval: Dan's Quest? That would have been a perfect fit for the license. Bloody muppets.

I'm glad they didn't announce games for the sake of announcing them. I don't need to see fall 2012 games this early, hell thats something Sonys taken a lot of slack for in the past. I'd rather in E3 2012 they announce X game for "this holiday" for a change.

gogogow

What a load of bullcrap to announce and show that shitty Move game. "From the best-selling Move title Sports Champions". So why not make Sports Champions 2??!! This shitty Move game is gonna bomb so hard, can't Sony see that? I have no idea why they would cancel Sorcery, which could've been a decent to great Move title. At least that wasn't a on-rails game and the audience seemed to like it.

Pistolero said:
WHAT??????????????????

Yeah, visuall Uncharted looked>TR. Lighting in TR was good, and the overal aesthetic is excellent...but environments and animation U3 is more impressive...Visually, its the best looking game on consoles in my opinion.

While certainly better than MS' effort, to be honest the whole Sony conference boiled down to Uncharted (PS3 + Vita) for me. Infamous 2 is already out and none of the other big reveals appealed to me.

French said:
And no Agent = lol.
Pretty much. It's been like over four years now since the mystery Rockstar PS3 exclusive was announced and two years since it was announced as Agent.

It should be a big coup - it's a Rockstar North game, it's exclusive. But the complete lack of info leads to the thinking that it's either cancelled, in development hell, no longer exclusive or it's been moved to next-gen. Who knows!

The Lamp

Galvanise_ said:
Sony's conference was better than Microsoft, but it really lacked some new PS3 game announcements.
Last year they only announced Twisted Metal.

It seems for Sony, E3 is about showing your games. Not always overwhelming with secret title announcements. Which is fine. Almost everything they showed was new and PS3 exclusive (trailers...demos...etc) and even a few announcements. Sly 4 for PS3 is a welcome announcement to me, anyhow.

Carl said:
Why is that "lol"? R* can go for YEARS between announcing a game and even acknowledging its existence for a second time

"Agent" is just a ruse to get Sony to let Team Bondi take LA Noire to R*, third party publisher promises usually aren't kept, not in this day and age.

gogogow

R* North is busy with GTAV, do people really think they have time for another game? Unless it's a small PSN game which only requires a small team, otherwise I don't see them making a exclusive PS3 game in this day and age.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Stumpokapow said:

I felt like Dead Man had a few assets that looked strikingly similar to Sorcery.

I bet it was canceled/steamrolled into this game. :(

It's pretty fucking weird, actually, that they showed NOTHING of Twisted Metal, All 4 One, or any PSN titles whatsoever.

Equus Bellator Apex

Monty Mole said:
Pretty much. It's been like over four years now since the mystery Rockstar PS3 exclusive was announced and two years since it was announced as Agent.

It should be a big coup - it's a Rockstar North game, it's exclusive. But the complete lack of info leads to the thinking that it's either cancelled, in development hell, no longer exclusive or it's been moved to next-gen. Who knows!
I thought L.A. Niore was cancelled too.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
chubigans said:
I felt like Dead Man had a few assets that looked strikingly similar to Sorcery.

I bet it was canceled/steamrolled into this game. :(

For some reason the score gauge and the sparkles when he killed enemies seemed immediately familiar to me, and a lot of the environment textures too. I think this possibly false memory is what's causing me to think that it could be the same game.

badcrumble said:
It's pretty fucking weird, actually, that they showed NOTHING of Twisted Metal, All 4 One, or any PSN titles whatsoever.

There was a big Twisted Metal gameplay session on Spike/GT prior to the conference if you're looking for coverage. Looked... a lot more expansive than I thought it would.

M.D

Monty Mole said:

Or it just Rockstar being Rockstar

ChryZ

Rainier said:
Most disappointed that Uncharted is starting to look dated compared to some of the games coming out. The new Tomb Raider looked far better.
SycSZ.gif

Stumpokapow said:
There was a big Twisted Metal gameplay session on Spike/GT prior to the conference if you're looking for coverage. Looked... a lot more expansive than I thought it would.
I did see that, yeah - that was precisely why I find it odd that Sony didn't show anything of it at their conference, actually. It's looking like a pretty big game with a bigger budget and scope than people realized; one would think Sony would take the opportunity to hype it up pretty heavily since it's one of their big autumn titles.

I'm guessing it'll almost certainly have a pretty big presence at their Gamescom presentation.

Opus Angelorum said:
Indeed.

What worries me most is that the next generation really isn't going to happen until 2013/14 and both Microsoft and Sony are happy to let their home platforms die out.
Come on now, this is a bit OTT.

The PS3 has Infamous 2, Resistance 3, Twisted Metal and Uncharted 3 coming this year alone. Next year we can look forward to The Last Guardian, Starhawk, Final Fantasy Verus XIII, Sly 4. Then you've got the new game by David Cage (Quantic Dream), Agent from Rockstar both on the horizon for 2012/13. Not to mention all the 3rd party titles coming to both systems.

I'd hardly call that letting a console die out.

Even though I would of loved for a new GTA, MGS, GOW4, ect type of announcement i wasn't holding my breath. Plus they would most likely be late 2012 games anyways. 2011 is PACKED. The amount of AAA games coming out this x-mas is insane. This conference needed to be about Vita and win people over. And they did a great job at it.

ico collection, batman:ac, twisted metal, uncharted3, cod:mw3, mgs hd collection, Asscreed:rev, and now PSV and any good launch titles. My wallet is crying.

V_Ben

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

Replied to this already, but here's somehthing new;

Dev's site#

FEB 11: Sorcery
Development for "Sorcery" is in full-swing. We're really excited on the progress so far.

So... it might still exist? Or at least it did last february.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Rainier said:
Good write up as always from Edge. I'm also in the camp that it was a better showing than Microsoft, but still disappointing. Looks like Nintendo will probably take this year's E3.

Most disappointed that Uncharted is starting to look dated compared to some of the games coming out. The new Tomb Raider looked far better.

It was a decent conference, but (apart from the Vita price) could have really done with a megaton... or even something pretty simple, like a localization for Ninokuni.

Strike

djtiesto said:
It was a decent conference, but (apart from the Vita price) could have really done with a megaton... or even something pretty simple, like a localization for Ninokuni.
I'd wait for TGS for any updates on that.

The cluster fuck that was the last 10 minutes of the conference, with taiko(?) drums combined with game sfx combined with acid-trip dj combined with ballet dancer made it my favorite conference ever.

Honestly, could not remember or care about anything else the boring conference had to offer after that.

I would have rated Sony's conference above Microsoft's based on Vita alone. That said even though I was expecting a lot of surprise announcements and was definitely disappointed on that end I give Sony a big pass because I know all those games exist and are in development. Sony has a ridiculous source of new IP's that they just don't feel E3 is the place to reveal anymore it sucks but at least I know the games are there.

With Microsoft outside of Gears the platform holds nothing for me this year so I expected some heavy hitters to be revealed. Last year I was really excited about whatever Crytek was working on and when it was revealed that basically every IP that Msoft has is getting Kinect play shoehorned in or even worse built from the ground up for Kinect it really alienated me from them.

3N16MA

Banned
Lack of PS3 games makes me feel that TGS will be better than E3. I just want "The Last Guardian" info already.

Rainier said:
Good write up as always from Edge. I'm also in the camp that it was a better showing than Microsoft, but still disappointing. Looks like Nintendo will probably take this year's E3.

The new Tomb Raider looked pretty dated itself, whether it's the water, physics or the lighting, none of it was on par with U3.

nelsonroyale said:
Yeah, visuall Uncharted looked>TR. Lighting in TR was good, and the overal aesthetic is excellent...but environments and animation U3 is more impressive...Visually, its the best looking game on consoles in my opinion.

The U3 boat demo had pretty sweet lighting tbh.

Appollowexx said:
Come on now, this is a bit OTT.

The PS3 has Infamous 2, Resistance 3, Twisted Metal and Uncharted 3 coming this year alone. Next year we can look forward to The Last Guardian, Starhawk, Final Fantasy Verus XIII, Sly 4. Then you've got the new game by David Cage (Quantic Dream), Agent from Rockstar both on the horizon for 2012/13. Not to mention all the 3rd party titles coming to both systems.

I'd hardly call that letting a console die out.

Agent doesn't exist.

Galvanise_ said:
Sony's conference was better than Microsoft, but it really lacked some new PS3 game announcements.
Usually most announcements at E3 come from SCEA (inFAMOUS, GoWIII, MAG, ModNation Racers, etc.). Most gamescons stuff is SCEE, so if there's a new game by the makers of Heavy Rain, I expect it there (along with maybe a new Liverpool or Cambridge game). SCEJ stuff will likely be TGS, like I'd expect to hear a lot on Gravity there.

Top Bottom