• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE - Sony Conference Report

Withnail

Like the MS equivalent, I thought this was sufficiently interesting to warrant a new thread.

Original article available here.

Sony's ability to foul up and grovel in epic, spiralling loops is rivalled only by Curb Your Enthusiasm's Larry David. The two should really collaborate. "The next generation doesn't start until we say it does," the company boomed in 2006, paving the way for this year's revision: 'the next generation doesn't restart until we say it does - though that doesn't guarantee it won't stop again, at the cost of all your credit card details'. We might never know the full, actual extent of April's disastrous hack of PlayStation Network, but we know this: someone somewhere knows your mother's maiden name, and it ain't your mum.

"This isn't the first time I've come to the stage with an elephant in the room," began SCEA CEO Jack Tretton, who negotiated said beast with customary grace and moved quickly, via a brief welcome to new content partner CinemaNow, to the inevitable Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception. It's a stormy night on the high seas in this demo, and a very high-water mark indeed for art and technology in videogames. More cutscene than action, perhaps, but that's E3 for you. The strange scratching noise at the back was Hydrophobia taking patch notes.

"Our commitment to 3D is unwavering," stressed Tretton, announcing full 3D support for the God Of War: Origins Collection (the upgraded PSP games) and the Ico/Shadow Of The Colossus Collection, both due in September. "Content is just one of the barriers to 3D adoption, the other is price," he contined, deftly forgetting the one about the Max Headroom glasses and their effect on your relationships. An "affordable," PlayStation-branded TV addressed the second point, at least, and was shown using its 3D tech to interlace two different gameplay sessions, both in fullscreen, at the same time. Splitscreen, basically, minus the split. Madness. The unit will cost $499, plus $69.99 for each additional pair of glasses.

Much was in 3D at this event, which like a stuck record we'll tell you is really very good, and a different proposition to the Ebert-unfriendly nonsense you'll see at the cinema. The stuff that really mattered, though, required neither visual aids nor the BS filter of Ubisoft's earlier briefing. After the frightening regression of Microsoft's Kinect demos, this was Move's chance to shine.

The hard-working NBA2K tried first with its 'NBA On The Move', a supposedly intuitive, partially automated motion-control system aiming for "accessible simulation" in 2K12. Kobe Bryant's a natural on both court and stage, it seems, or maybe just confused the venue for his doubtlessly colossal living room. Whichever, he did good. Medieval Moves: Deadmund's Quest, meanwhile, is an inventory-system-free, first- and thirdperson hack-and-slash puzzler - keep up, please - with motion-chucked arrows and shurikens. Not the Child Of Eden demo both platform holders could have done with, but not laggy light-sabers, either.

"Our goal has always been to provide unique experiences," said Tretton, welcoming Starhawk and Sly Cooper: Thieves In Time to the screen, and CCP CEO Hilmar Pétursson to the stage. Pétursson is a man you listen to when he speaks, because he's probably going to demo something like Dust 514, CCP's genuine revolution in plugging a complete FPS into the highly-evolved fabric of Eve Online. The closed beta starts at the end of this year, with a full release planned for Spring 2012.

It was business as usual for BioShock: Infinite (acting smart, looking great), less so for Irrational boss Ken Levine, perhaps the only man who can 'proudly' eat humble pie. This he did by retracting his "uncharitable" words about motion control in earlier interviews. "We're just starting to get our head around what [Move] can mean for BioShock: Infinite," he said, leaving with a sweetener: a BioShock spin-off for Vita, the finally-named successor to PSP.

Meanwhile, the platform-exclusive bits-and-bobs tactic galvanised by Batman: Arkham Asylum continues with bits for Saints Row: The Third, a BioShock 1-shaped bob for BioShock: Infinite, and a digital download prequel - let's call it a 'bib' - to Digital Extremes' newly-announced co-op Star Trek game. We enjoyed Dark Sector; we were surprised by BioShock 2 multiplayer; we trust Digital Extremes. Didn't think much of the footage, though.

As for Kaz Hirai... Well, who doesn't love him? Kaz Hirai could take all that credit card info and use it to fund a new Too Human and you'd still give him the benefit of the doubt. "We have been overwhelmed by fans who recognise the value of a connected experience," he beamed, announcing PlayStation Suite, which makes PlayStation content available on non-PlayStation certified hardware. Android phones were the example, providing a neat link to The Handheld Formerly Known As NGP, PlayStation Vita.

Dual touchpads, an OLED screen and dual cameras, said Hirai, "truly blur the lines between entertainment and your real life." Vita's pitch has two aspects, the first being a vision of comprehensively networked play enabled by 'Near', a social networking framework.

The other is of course games. At its best, the lengthy Vita presentation skipped the bit about promising the Earth and simply delivered it with Sony Bend's Uncharted: Golden Abyss. The dynamic lighting, realtime shadows, expressive Drake, and dual touch and stick controls are compelling to say the least. This is more than just Uncharted in your pocket. "Painting edges," a touch control scheme that simplifies tedious climbing tasks, chains those moves together as you draw across the screen.

As social action RPG Ruin showed off its elegant cloud-based save sharing with PS3, it became clear that the personal microphones were providing a uniquely unwelcome insight into the workings of each presenter's oesophagus. ModNation Racers helped us ignore it, though, with its front and rear touch panel support. You draw splines on the screen, 'rub in' lakes and 'paint' trees, the back panel shaping mountains. Then you jump quickly to the track for a realtime test.

"Crossplatform interaction is functioning in many different ways on Vita," we were assured, and launch title Wipeout 2048 will feature cross-play between Vita and PS3.

The suggestion that 'Play, Create, Share' is somehow unique to PlayStation as anything more than branding is ludicrous and irritating. Still, it was worth hearing just to witness LittleBigPlanet soak up Vita's new functionality like a big hessian sponge. The biggest collective gasp of the presentation escaped to - believe it or not - Street Fighter X Tekken. Capcom's Yoshinori Ono took the stage to announce, via a translator who looked like the late John Peel, a faithful-looking Vita version. Cole from Infamous is an exclusive character, too, and is in a happier place as a mute electric punchbag.

Confirmation of a reasonable price point ($249/euros for the WiFi-only model, $299/euros for the 3G version) and 80 game titles in development wasn't so much reassuring as essential. In no way - not image, catalogue, interface or technology - can Vita afford to underwhelm. Whether it does will have to wait for the honeymoon period - the one symbolised by Ridge Racers on PSP - to end and publisher loyalties be tested. Will the likes of Activision and Ubisoft exploit this wealth of interfaces in good ways or bad? Will augmented reality become gimmick or genre? What will be the classic that couldn't work on anything else? Can we at least have another Ghosts N' Goblins?

With the end (and a hands-on play session) in sight, Hirai seemed in danger of freestyling hyperbole until someone dragged him off stage. Tretton did it tactfully, though, with a gag about Ridge Racer and his own lurid tie. We like him. He's transparent, a necessary front man for a company whose gaffs are often too big to hide, and which has run out of space for hollow gestures.

For the second year running, Sony was fed an alienated audience which Microsoft had confused for a different one. This is E3, not Good Morning America. The show is gradually evolving, yes, the limelight moving to mega-publisher keynotes and pre-E3 soirees, but the job of the platform holder is unchanging: to reassure the audience that there'll be games to warrant investment, and to reassure the industry that there'll be gamers to warrant the games. Important new IPs were in short supply at both events, but Sony seems likelier to discover them.

glaurung

Another excellent writeup from the EDGE offices. Hits all the spots.

Though the "80 titles in development for Vita" quip reminded me a lot of the PSP reveal. Then they also said that a huge number of PSP titles were in development. Yet it took over 24 months for a respectable repertoire to form.

Kunan

The best part of the conference was when they played the soothing, sexy music to the Vita's analogue sticks being wiggled onscreen. I was like "wat." lol

SLY 4!!

Another good writeup from EDGE.

I'm still of the opinion that Sony's conference was overall pretty good, with a diversity of games I'd actually like to play. With the price unveiled and (especially) the features shown in Modnation Racers abd LBP, they've made a pretty compelling case for Vita that I can't ignore.

It was undoubtedly more appealing than Microsoft's pitable effort. In fact it succeeded in the specific places in which MS failed.

MS showed the input of Kinect as a tacked on control feature for core games, replacing quick control pad functionality with slower and inefficent voice and gesture movement. Sony sold Vita's input by demonstrating it doing things that you can't easily do with a controller, ie design levels and content. MS range consisted of DEATHSHOOTERKILLSHOOTERS and KIDKINECTCHILDGAMES with nothing to bridge the gap, whereas Sony intentionally showered a range of different software from shooters to platformers to racers, etcetera.

It wasn't one of the best conferences, and didn't bombard us with new things ala Nintendo last year, but it was a pretty capable effort. Though EDGE's wording can be ambiguous, they do seem to receive their conference more positively than Microsoft's pitable effort.

Galvanise_ said:
Sony's conference was better than Microsoft, but it really lacked some new PS3 game announcements.

Indeed.

What worries me most is that the next generation really isn't going to happen until 2013/14 and both Microsoft and Sony are happy to let their home platforms die out.

French

Banned
Galvanise_ said:
Sony's conference was better than Microsoft, but it really lacked some new PS3 game announcements.

This. Overall the conference was meh.

Maybe at GamesCom ? They announced a new Ratchet and a new Resistance last year, and Quantic Dream has two games to announce.

And no Agent = lol.

Rainier

Good write up as always from Edge. I'm also in the camp that it was a better showing than Microsoft, but still disappointing. Looks like Nintendo will probably take this year's E3.

Most disappointed that Uncharted is starting to look dated compared to some of the games coming out. The new Tomb Raider looked far better.

Sony did exactly what they had to do to counter Nintendo in the handheld market, and address MS in the motion control market, they did nothing more and nothing less.
Hopefully TGS brings more games

BlazingDarkness said:
Sony did exactly what they had to do to counter Nintendo in the handheld market, and address MS in the motion control market, they did nothing more and nothing less.
Hopefully TGS brings more games

Sony had a chance to bring out all the big guns, but decided not to. Not even a price drop?

BeeDog

While I disapprove of Sony blowing their load the weeks leading to E3, they still have announced some cool stuff for the PS3, e.g. Sly 4, Dust 514 and Starhawk. So it's not completely barren, but yeah, this was obvious Vita's time to shine.

Corto

Galvanise_ said:

It should be expected though. The star of yesterdays show needed to be the PSVita. Considering that what surprised me was the lack of Epic and EA demonstrations for the device.

ZeroRay

NemesisPrime said:
Sony had a chance to bring out all the big guns, but decided not to. Not even a price drop?

Probably at Gamescom. Can't announce a price drop two months out. ;p

NemesisPrime said:
who announces a price drop in June?

Keep that shit until August when there a new games for people to buy.

V_Ben

Banned
Galvanise_ said:

Remember, we saw Resistance 3 and Ratchet A4O announced within 10 minutes of each other at Gamescom last year. I appreciated the focus on upcoming games here, and Vita did its job admirably. I suspect Gamescom will bring the new stuff, and Vita will get a release date there. :)

Edit: Funkystudent... Price drop in August would be sensible. Hmm... If only there was a big convention in August. Oh.

Galvanise_ said:

Was there even any games from Euro division?

I guess we will see them at Gamescom? It is perplexing though...sony has a ton of decent devs that showed nothing. The frustration is because Sony DO have stuff to show...

Corto

nelsonroyale said:
Was there even any games from Euro division?

I guess we will see them at Gamescom? It is perplexing though...sony has a ton of decent devs that showed nothing. The frustration is because Sony DO have stuff to show...

Focus. They needed to focus on the new hardware. Anything that could distract from that will be showed in another opportunity.

Haunted

Galvanise_ said:
That's basically what I feel.

I'm not interested in Vita/3DS stuff, it's all about home gaming on the big screen for me atm.

The multiplatform...ness of this generation has really taken out the oomph out of the hardware manufacturer's conferences, save when they're talking about new consoles. The games for PS3 and 360 are still coming, they're just not first party stuff.

edit: fuuu typed this without actually reading the last sentence
The show is gradually evolving, yes, the limelight moving to mega-publisher keynotes and pre-E3 soirees

well played, Edge

Spiegel

I don't know why people keep saying that Vita was the focus yesterday when Sony spent 2/3 of the conference talking about PS3.

Move games are also PS3 games.

Damn well written piece. Eloquent and to the point. I particularly like this line:

For the second year running, Sony was fed an alienated audience which Microsoft had confused for a different one. This is E3, not Good Morning America.

Haunted

Spiegel said:
I don't know why people keep saying that Vita was the focus yesterday when Sony spent 2/3 of the conference talking about PS3.

Move games are also PS3 games.
no one here gives a toss about Move and Kinect

kadotsu

Banned
The Sony conference for me was:
Uncharted -> zZz -> SLYYYYYY -> zZZz -> PSN becoming XBL on PSV -> PSV games -> 249$

All in all, GREAT JOB JEREMY!

Withnail

Sly 4 and Starhawk would have been big crowd-pleasing announcements if Sony hadn't blown their load in the past few months. But that seems to be the way they choose to do things now. It did make the conference feel a bit underwhelming though.

Also if the Vita name hadn't leaked we'd all be talking about that today.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, I know the developer is different and the focus of the game is different, but was Sorcery canned in favour of Dead Man's Quest? Is Dead Man's Quest a followup of the Sorcery project? Or does Sorcery still exist?

It seems weird to announce a Move exclusive spell-casting fantasy action game in 2010, delay it multiple times, and then announce a Move exclusive sword-and-steel fantasy action game in 2011 for release around Christmas with no mention of the previous game.

Corto

Spiegel said:
Me neither.

I'm talking to the people saying that PS3 wasn't given enough attention because of Vita.

Though you're right on the time spent on each system on the conference you can't deny that the profile of the announcements on each one was skewed towards the Vita. And I'm counting the Move announcements too, I have Move but those announcements were tepid at best. Bioshock Infinite with Move support was the biggest surprise, but still short from a Diablo 3 exclusive deal or an Epic game coming to the PS3. Those would obfuscate any PSVita announcement Sony could have.

But I loved Resistance 3, Sly 4 and Dust exclusive demos/announcements. Dust in special could be a great game withe the integration with the PC already existent gigantic EVE universe and the PSVita cross-play.

Stumpokapow said:
So, I know the developer is different and the focus of the game is different, but was Sorcery canned in favour of Dead Man's Quest? Is Dead Man's Quest a followup of the Sorcery project? Or does Sorcery still exist?

It seems weird to announce a Move exclusive spell-casting fantasy action game in 2010, delay it multiple times, and then announce a Move exclusive sword-and-steel fantasy action game in 2011 for release around Christmas with no mention of the previous game.

That does seem odd. The Sorcery game, obviously, had a much heavier focus on the spellcasting stuff though. Don't know why they wouldn't show it however...

f0rk

Stumpokapow said:

Yeah that was sad, Sorcery looked so much better as well. Don't really understand why this new game was on rails - they have a navigation controller right?

Top Bottom