• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM: Does the Nintendo Seal of Quality mean nothing?

RavenFox

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
Yeah, the PS2 has nothing but gems.

All it's ever supposed to mean is that the software won't break your console. It's not a "this got over 60% on GameRankings" seal.

Dude how long has the PS2 been out and why are you comparing this to PS2? Isnt this THEIR next gen console? So let it stand in that arena.

mepaco

McLovin said:
You can't honestly tell me that you are fully satisfied with what nintendo has put out? Yes there are good games on the wii.. I own one I should know. But I'm talking about all the other garbage titles that are out. Once upon a time Nintendo wouldn't release some of these games.

Segata seems to have covered most of what I would have said, but since you asked...

Yeah, I'm fine with the current 1st party lineup and pretty disappointed with the 3rd party games so far. I see 3rd party getting better and Nintendo will keep making games in their traditional franchises. I'm really not sure what people are expecting from Nintendo sometimes. They have always made the same types of games but people seem to expect them to start coming out with ultra-realistic shooters or more violent games which has never really been their focus. That is where 3rd parties need to step it up.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with your original assertion that Nintendo doesn't care about graphics, controls, or storylines and only makes games you have to 'dumb down' to enjoy.

RavenFox said:
Dude how long has the PS2 been out and why are you comparing this to PS2? Isnt this THEIR next gen console? So let it stand in that arena.

Oh god, it never ends.

RavenFox said:
Good plan. Let's talk about how shitty the PS3 lineup is right now. The only one not fucking the dog software-wise at the moment is the 360. And they have a year head-start and were able to use some of the money they saved by having their console designed/manufactured by bonobo apes.

McLovin

Segata Sanshiro said:
Actually, as far as Nintendo's releases, I'm not really that pissed off. It's the overall Wii picture that I'm pissed off about. Nintendo's released what...

Wii Sports
Zelda
Excite Truck
Wii Play
Wario Ware
Mario Party 8
Big Brain Academy
Super Paper Mario
Mario Strikers Charged
Metroid Prime 3

I...think that's the lot. Nothing there is really garbage per se, aside from BBA which suffers from being at the wrong price and Wii Play that fortunately is only $10.

But it is Nintendo's responsibility to ensure there's a good flow of third party stuff coming along too, no matter how much they like to pretend it isn't. In that, they have failed, badly.

Failed at what? I wasn't trying to convince anyone that the wii was garbage. Im just saying theres alot of crap on it. And I said the wii has good games but it has way way more bad games. Its just a console anyways. I'm not gonna get all worked up because some random guy on the internet disagrees with me. I could easily list twice as many games that are terrible and got really low scores to boot. But I wont because I don't care enough to. How about we just agree to disagree.

McLovin said:
Failed at what? I wasn't trying to convince anyone that the wii was garbage. Im just saying theres alot of crap on it. And I said the wii has good games but it has way way more bad games. Its just a console anyways. I'm not gonna get all worked up because some random guy on the internet disagrees with me. I could easily list twice as many games that are terrible and got really low scores to boot. But I wont because I don't care enough to. How about we just agree to disagree.
Okay, but see...my list was the list of everything Nintendo has published for the Wii. And you were talking about how they've put out all this garbage on the Wii. There's nothing you can add to that list because that list is the entire list of games Nintendo has put on the Wii.

But sure, let's agree to disagree, because I'm no longer sure what your point was at all.

McLovin

mepaco said:
Segata seems to have covered most of what I would have said, but since you asked...

Yeah, I'm fine with the current 1st party lineup and pretty disappointed with the 3rd party games so far. I see 3rd party getting better and Nintendo will keep making games in their traditional franchises. I'm really not sure what people are expecting from Nintendo sometimes. They have always made the same types of games but people seem to expect them to start coming out with ultra-realistic shooters or more violent games which has never really been their focus. That is where 3rd parties need to step it up.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with your original assertion that Nintendo doesn't care about graphics, controls, or storylines and only makes games you have to 'dumb down' to enjoy.

Oh god, it never ends.
Damnit thats what I'm saying just in different words >.< I may have chosen the wrong words but aren't there more third party games then first party games on the wii? Meaning more crap then good?

McLovin said:
Damnit thats what I'm saying just in different words >.< I may have chosen the wrong words but aren't there more third party games then first party games on the wii? Meaning more crap then good?
I think you did choose the wrong words. Unfortunately, sometimes choosing the wrong words results in your sentence having an entirely different meaning, which is what I think happened here.

Rocked

You can't honestly tell me that you are fully satisfied with what nintendo has put out? Yes there are good games on the wii.. I own one I should know. But I'm talking about all the other garbage titles that are out. Once upon a time Nintendo wouldn't release some of these games.

What a load of crap... All Nintendo consoles have had their shovelware. The Seal Of Approval was never a mark of quality.

563422_45500.jpg

Box_ysafari_pal.jpg

McLovin

Segata Sanshiro said:
Okay, but see...my list was the list of everything Nintendo has published for the Wii. And you were talking about how they've put out all this garbage on the Wii. There's nothing you can add to that list because that list is the entire list of games Nintendo has put on the Wii.

But sure, let's agree to disagree, because I'm no longer sure what your point was at all.

I was talking about the crappy games... basically 75% of third party games. I never mentioned 1st party. And I never tried to compare it to any other gaming platform.

McLovin

Segata Sanshiro said:
I think you did choose the wrong words. Unfortunately, sometimes choosing the wrong words results in your sentence having an entirely different meaning, which is what I think happened here.

Yes I'll shut up now.

McLovin said:
I was talking about the crappy games... basically 75% of third party games. I never mentioned 1st party. And I never tried to compare it to any other gaming platform.
Um
I AM MCLOVIN said:
But I'm talking about all the other garbage titles that are out. Once upon a time Nintendo wouldn't release some of these games.
That appears to be you making a statement about Nintendo, the uh...first party. And the "once upon a time" prelude seems to indicate you talking about Nintendo's prior consoles, which are...other gaming platforms.

Damn McLovin

WHY'D YOU RUN AWAY FROM US

I WAS ONLY TRYING TO GUIDE YOUR COCK

mepaco

McLovin said:

Actually you came in here and said:

McLovin said:
Guys I'm not trying to bash the wii or anything but Nintendo's target audience is little kids and old people(really old people). This target audience simply doesn't care about "good graphics" "good controls" or even a "cohesive story line" just dumb yourself down and enjoy the your wiis. Thats what I did :\

and then seemed to be surprised when nobody took you seriously.

McLovin

umm.. ok last time I checked 3rd party games have to be approved by nintendo.. hence they let it on their system. Second you ever heard of a joke.. thats why it was under a spoiler tag. You guys take this shit way waaaaay to seriously.
Segata Sanshiro said:
Damn McLovin

WHY'D YOU RUN AWAY FROM US

I WAS ONLY TRYING TO GUIDE YOUR COCK
Running away? :lol :lol :lol :lol

Lobster

Banned
McLovin said:
umm.. ok last time I checked 3rd party games have to be approved by nintendo.. hence they let it on their system. Second you ever heard of a joke.. thats why it was under a spoiler tag. You guys take this shit way waaaaay to seriously.

You're thinking of the old Nintendo that let developers release only 5 games every year. This is the new Nintendo that has to take this shit.

McLovin said:

The "running away" bit is from the movie your name is from.

And if it was a joke, I apologize for not recognizing it. It's just that usually jokes are funny.

McLovin

Segata Sanshiro said:
The "running away" bit is from the movie your name is from.

And if it was a joke, I apologize for not recognizing it. It's just that usually jokes are funny.

Theres a movie with Mclovin it it? I need to get my lawyer.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
well, the reason they no longer have the seal of quality is because they were much damned for their tight control of developers. its part of why they lost their throne to sony. the seal only means that the game is licensed. damned if they do or don't i suppose. stupid double standards...

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
If this thread has proven anything to me, it's that Segata is one of our better GAFfers.

Hey, oh flaming icon of Sega-ity goodness... can I get your Wii system code? I need to be ready when future stuff appears.

DavidDayton said:
If this thread has proven anything to me, it's that Segata is one of our better GAFfers.

Hey, oh flaming icon of Sega-ity goodness... can I get your Wii system code? I need to be ready when future stuff appears.
Sure, I'll PM it to you later. I don't have it handy as I haven't used it even once yet.

CTLance

DavidDayton said:
I admire his seemingly endless patience with those who are ... resistant to learning. :D

Red Scarlet

salva said:
what the fuck is that bear on the bottom doing to the pig?

they seem to be enjoying it
animalsoccerworldbig.jpg

There was a bigger version of the cover with more stuff, the bear+pig looks worse. Also note the angry elephant, the lion almost looks like he's kicking the monkey in the balls, and the hippo's hand is going up the warthog's butt. Total awesome. There's a tiger to the right doing something, but I forget. Oh yeah, the rhino's horn is almost in the lion's butt.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Segata Sanshiro said:
Sure, I'll PM it to you later. I don't have it handy as I haven't used it even once yet.

Whaa... you haven't purchased Metroid Prime 3 yet?

Edit: Also, I'm not sure if I missed this or not, but... the Animal Soccer game... is there a GAME on that disk, or just a cartoon + coloring book + memory/matching "game"?

Edit 2: Also, Yoshi's Safari is a fun little arcade-y game. I'd love it on the Virtual Console, and/or a silly updated sequel.

Top Bottom