• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Egypt police kill 70+ Muslim Brotherhood protesters in 2nd mass killing in 3 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapsama

Let me explain something to you. I don't really like the Muslim brotherhood. The thing is I like democracy and as well as human rights more then I dislike the Muslim brotherhood.

I also think a lot of the arguments that you are proposing are just reactionary racism using right-wing buzzwords to show how much of an other they are. Please stop trying to demonize democracy and saying people "voted wrong" because you got some inane notion that the government in Egypt is being Islamisized (hilarious since its always given lip service to sharia) when the military junta was backed by salafis.

Either you want the people of Egypt to forever be oppressed so that they don't "vote wrong" or you are for democracy.

Thank you for three paragraphs that didn't answer either of my questions. You wanna try again?

What do you make of the Salafi Islamist al-Nour party (whose mission is to implement Shariah law in legislation) being part of the coup (they had 25% of seats in elections), and these items in the interim constitution (including Article 1!)?

http://www.dailynewsegypt.com/2013/07/09/president-ratifies-constitutional-declaration/

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/...adli-mansour-makes-constitutional-declaration

I make of it that they don't think the MB is bad enough and thus don't want it being successful and stealing their thunder. An extra radical group being opposed to a milder but more mainstream radical group is not that uncommon. Hell just look at Turkey. When Erdoğan left his old Islamist party to form a "reformed" Islamist party, his old comrades at the prior party opposed him. You can call it politics or you can call out genuine philosophical differences. Doesn't really matter.

As for Egypt, I don't think anything will come of it. A minor backer of the coup will not end up calling the shots.

numble

Thank you for three paragraphs that didn't answer either of my questions. You wanna try again?

I make of it that they don't think the MB is bad enough and thus don't want it being successful and stealing their thunder. An extra radical group being opposed to a milder but more mainstream radical group is not that uncommon. Hell just look at Turkey. When Erdoğan left his old Islamist party to form a "reformed" Islamist party, his old comrades at the prior party opposed him. You can call it politics or you can call out genuine philosophical differences. Doesn't really matter.

As for Egypt, I don't think anything will come of it. A minor backer of the coup will not end up calling the shots.
They vetoed El Baredei as the selection for President, and secured pledges for Shariah in the interim Constitution. I don't see how they are a minor party, they were the second largest party after the MB--consider this, they got 25% of the seats previously. If the MB is banned, they will get all the votes that would've gone to the MB.

In parliamentary elections, MB got 37.5% and al-Nour was second with 27.8%. How are they a minor party?

The coup seems to be more about power than secularism.

Kapsama

They vetoed El Baredei as the selection for President, and secured pledges for Shariah in the interim Constitution. I don't see how they are a minor party, they were the second largest party after the MB--consider this, they got 25% of the seats previously. If the MB is banned, they will get all the votes that would've gone to the MB.

In parliamentary elections, MB got 37.5% and al-Nour was second with 27.8%. How are they a minor party?

The coup seems to be more about power than secularism.

I must admit I wasn't aware that they took that many seats.

If the MB ends up getting replaced with them, that's obviously not something I'd support. As for if this was genuine concern for secularism or a power grab. Both are possible.

And I need to clarify something. I'm not pro coup, nor am I for gunning down MB supporters on the streets. But I don't have any sympathy nor will I shed any tears for the MB. Winning an election and then passing wide reaching emergency powers showed us what they wanted early on. The problem with inherently anti democratic I groups like these is that yes you can say, they won the election fair and square, let them serve their terms. Unfortunately if you're not vigilant it might just be the last election you will have. Is this fear mongering? Perhaps. But life isn't perfect. And secular dictatorship a la Mubarak beats the pants off theocratic tyranny.

But life isn't perfect. And secular dictatorship a la Mubarak beats the pants off theocratic tyranny.

That isn't the dichotomy you are presented with here. You are presented with an Islamist leaning, democratically elected government, versus a military coup by a mix of liberals and hardcore Salafis that is currently shooting protests by the hundred.

Also does it really beat the pants off a 'theocratic' (using that word again, explain what you mean) dictatorship. Dictatorship is dictatorship yo.

If anything the majority of dictatorships in the middle east have been secular, the two go hand in hand because the badge 'secular' is used to suppress the tendency of Arab democracies to elect Islamist leaning governments. 'Secularism' is a godsend to anti-democratic leaders in the middle east.

I must admit I wasn't aware that they took that many seats.

If the MB ends up getting replaced with them, that's obviously not something I'd support. As for if this was genuine concern for secularism or a power grab. Both are possible.

And I need to clarify something. I'm not pro coup, nor am I for gunning down MB supporters on the streets. But I don't have any sympathy nor will I shed any tears for the MB. Winning an election and then passing wide reaching emergency powers showed us what they wanted early on. The problem with inherently anti democratic I groups like these is that yes you can say, they won the election fair and square, let them serve their terms. Unfortunately if you're not vigilant it might just be the last election you will have. Is this fear mongering? Perhaps. But life isn't perfect. And secular dictatorship a la Mubarak beats the pants off theocratic tyranny.

Tell me more about how the political party that was:

-at odds with the country's most powerful institution (the military)
-had little control over the state's bureaucracy
-was relentlessly demonized in the oligarch-owned media
-faced widespread public discontent due to failures of governance caused both by their own missteps and the already mentioned uncooperative Mubarak-era bureaucrats

was poised to institute a theocratic tyranny. I've got no love for the Brotherhood, but dear God, people see a Muslim in charge and they start screaming for a strongman to keep the Arabs in line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom