• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elizabeth Warren silenced for reading Coretta King's 1986 letter admonishing Sessions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Appalling. Disgusting. Horrifying.

I hope the Republican Congress burns in hell.

"Applies to quotes." Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit.

I'm very very curious to know if they've ever "iced" any document as hard as they've iced Coretta Scott King's letter.

Like, can they just go up there and start reading Mein Kampf instead? That's more palatable for the GOP?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
After the stunt Senate Republicans pulled with Obama's last SCOTUS nom, this hardly shocks me.

I am a little curious though how this Rule #19 isn't in direct conflict with properly vetting a nominee for the administration that also happens to be from the senate. How can you properly vet someone if you're not allowed to say anything bad about them, esp. if there's something legitimately bad about them to put on record? Either the rule needs to be waived in appointments like this, or senators should be ineligible for outside appointments if there delicate snowflake selves can't handle being called out for doing bad things.

Masked Man

I said wow
Puffy-faced McConnell looks like a bee-sting victim, and he frankly deserves an entire hive placed over his head at this point. Fucking scum.

Keasar

Mitch McConnell is probably one of the most despicable political people I know of in the USA as a outsider. If ever I read about some shit going on in the American politics, his name is somewhere around there.

Can't believe that he is allowed to still work.

I'm amazed that I'm still being amazed by this garbage. At this point, the entire GOP backing Trump are trying to incite a civil war. An unconstitutional Muslim ban, lashing out at world leaders, silencing the press and opposing senators, and picking a fight with the most powerful state in the union.

If we don't get complacent, they can't possibly win in the long term. Their base is slowly dying off due to old age, they have more than half of American citizens furious and protesting in record numbers, nearly the entire free world is united against us, and the judicial branch can stop them. I can't decide if they are stupid, desperate in a short term gamble, or both.

Magwik

Banned
I'm very very curious to know if they've ever "iced" any document as hard as they've iced Coretta Scott King's letter.

Like, can they just go up there and start reading Mein Kampf instead? That's more palatable for the GOP?
I'd pay good money to see someone try and read Mein Kampf. If they allow it then why would that be more preferable than the letter. If they don't then is the letter on the same level as Mein Kampf? It's a perfect get fucked opportunity.

BBboy20

C4HLCnuUoAM3Hyt.jpg:large

leroidys

Mitch McConnell is probably one of the most despicable political people I know of in the USA as a outsider. If ever I read about some shit going on in the American politics, his name is somewhere around there.

Can't believe that he is allowed to still work.

It gets better. Despite spending the last 30 years in the senate with no real job, he has an 8 digit net worth.

Azuran

Banned
The day Mitch McConnell finally bites it is the day the US is getting a new national holiday.

That turtle-face piece of shit perfectly represent everything wrong with the Republican party.

Whiny punkass

"What I fear is the Majority Leader is working his way toward breaking his word to the Senate and to the American people, and blowing up this institution and making it extremely difficult for us to operate on the collegial basis that we've operated on for over 200 years. He wants to have no debate. Do what I say, and do it now. This is the culture of intimidation that we've seen at the IRS, that we've seen at HHS, at the FEC, at the SEC and now here in the Senate. Do what I say when I say it. Sit down. Shut up. Or we'll change the rules. We'll break the rules to change the rules."

OuterLimits

Surprisingly, Sessions was among the somewhat smallish group of Republicans that voted for Eric Holder.

So, I guess he had one decent moment.

OuterLimits

Im guessing based on what happened that Pence isn't going to be needed for Sessions like Devos? Seems like no Republican defections on this one.

Im guessing based on what happened that Pence isn't going to be needed for Sessions like Devos? Seems like no Republican defections on this one.
Probably not, but I called my Senators anyway. And after how Warren was treated, I left them a message reading off the first page of the letter.

Future

I'm amazed that I'm still being amazed by this garbage. At this point, the entire GOP backing Trump are trying to incite a civil war. An unconstitutional Muslim ban, lashing out at world leaders, silencing the press and opposing senators, and picking a fight with the most powerful state in the union.

If we don't get complacent, they can't possibly win in the long term. Their base is slowly dying off due to old age, they have more than half of American citizens furious and protesting in record numbers, nearly the entire free world is united against us, and the judicial branch can stop them. I can't decide if they are stupid, desperate in a short term gamble, or both.

Children are keeping the same views if they grow up in certain areas. You'd think these views are outdated but they are alive and well among youth as well unfortunately

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Not American, but:

C4HGUoCUMAABeFf.jpg

Why does this rule exist? Doesn't it mean you can never attack a bad nomination? It seems excessive and vague at the same time.

Not American, but:

C4HGUoCUMAABeFf.jpg

Why does this rule exist? Doesn't it mean you can never attack a bad nomination? It seems excessive and vague at the same time.
I mean, I assume the rule is there to say yo, don't be an asshole and personally attack your fellow senators while debating tax policy or whatever. It's beyond reason to think that it was intended to prevent anyone from bringing up a sitting senator's conduct or character in the context of their nomination to a higher position. What's even the point of the damn thing if you're prohibited from saying anything negative about the guy. Republicans are shameless.

Fuck the GOP. Racist fucking scumbags, the lot of them, they pretty much confirmed as much with this vote. They deserve neither civility nor respect.

Also, they should man the fuck up, I've heard worse 'insults' in Question Time over here in Australia's parliament. Thin skin like their president, apparently.

How do we make Mrs. King letter a front page news story?

Can a ad campaign against Sessions nomination be played on network television during commercials?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The funny thing is, not a lot of people would have heard about this if this didn't happen. Just shows the people how the republicans really tick.

Maledict

Not American, but:

C4HGUoCUMAABeFf.jpg

It's standard parliamentary rules. Most parliaments and governing bodies have it - for example, you're not allowed to call another MP in the Houses of Parliament in the UK a liar. It's to prevent debates becoming insulting matches - it's also a standard rule for debating societies as well. Debate the argument, not the persons

Of course it shouldn't apply when considering someone for nomination for a separate job like this - that's just McConnel continuing to be one of the most evil men alive.

(Seriously, his actions on the Supreme Court in stealing that seat have cost progressives and young people literally decades of progress).

"She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless she persisted"

That idiot McConnell just gave Warren a new and powerful slogan free of charge.

There is no such thing as a "Good Republican."

This was proven today.
This is really the issue. Americans who vote Republican don't see themselves as guilty for a lot of this. 'Well I'm not racist', 'well I don't hate gays', 'well I believe in women's rights' and then they're throw around some vague idea of 'I'm Republican when it comes to the economy' which is just a weird thing to say and many couldn't actually explain what they mean and is almost purely a way to rationalize pre-existing beliefs of 'how they should vote' as there's practically no grounding in it.

I know, I know, 'blah, blah, echo chamber' but I don't know how you rationalise supporting a party that will roll back social reforms, roll back green technologies, not give a fuck about minorities and far more.

Shit, in the UK Brexit actually happened but at least the party that was always pushing it, UKIP, only got one MP. Farage, Trump's English BFF and leader of UKIP, didn't even win his own constituency.

I know its inflammatory but its just insane to me that even 48% of the country would enable these people. Though, I guess with so many supporting the Muslim ban it actually shouldn't surprise me and I'm not being inflammatory, maybe almost all republicans do actually support this shit.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
"She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless she persisted"

That idiot McConnell just gave Warren a new and powerful slogan free of charge.

"Nevertheless she persisted" will probably be her epitaph, LOL.

I know its inflammatory but its just insane to me that even 48% of the country would enable these people. Though, I guess with so many supporting the Muslim ban it actually shouldn't surprise me and I'm not being inflammatory, maybe almost all republicans do actually support this shit.

CNN had a poll about Trump's first two weeks in office. 90% of Republicans think he's doing a good job. Between the vast majority of Republican voters being happy with Trump and the vast majority of Republicans in the House and Senate supporting Trump's picks and agenda, the distinction between "there are no good Republicans" and "the majority of Republicans are not good" is a frivolous technicality.

but "the party of Lincoln"
"The party of Lincoln, who freed the slaves" line always gets me. It's a reminder that that is how they feel they should connect with AA's: They don't see black people as constituents, not as people who have thoughts / concerns / issues that need addressing by they're representatives.

...they just see us as "freed slaves".

A lot of things make more sense once you realise that.

acklame

Appalling. But thanks to them, I've just read the letter which demonstrates just how bad of a choice Jeff Sessions is for AG.

Chumley

Banned
We have to make all of these fucking pieces of shit pay in 2018.

I'm so fucking angry at the entire GOP. Good for people like Rick Wilson and others standing up for sanity, but they really should leave the Republican party. History is going to look at this moment in time as their final, disgusting, morally bankrupt death rattle trying to bring down everything with them in hopes of somehow averting the impending demographic disaster coming their way.

If we can just come together we can destroy them and shame them into oblivion for the rest of their rotten lives.

It seems conservatives made a nice, comfortable safe space for themselves again. Those liberals are so mean when they read the words of Coretta Scott King verbatim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom