• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elizabeth Warren silenced for reading Coretta King's 1986 letter admonishing Sessions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peltz

Warren was effectively silenced because turtle-neck McConnell thought this was a violation of the rules:
Under the Senate's ”Rule 19," senators are not allowed to ”directly or indirectly, by any form of words impute to another Senator or to other Senators any conduct or motive unworthy or unbecoming a Senator."

Hmm... if that is the rule, I don't see how it was not applied correctly. It says directly or indirectly. I'm a big fan of Elizabeth Warren, but it sounds like they are using the rule as intended.

Then again, I have very little experience in Senate Rules.

Zereta

Hmm... if that is the rule, I don't see how it was not applied correctly. It says directly or indirectly. I'm a big fan of Elizabeth Warren, but it sounds like they are using the rule as intended.

That rule gets broken literally every single day.

Toxi

Banned

The cabinet appointment is a Senator. Rule 19 is being applied in this instance to silence any criticism of a cabinet appointment's merits when the Senate is supposed to be assessing the cabinet appointment's merits. Which is a fucking joke.

It doesn't fucking matter if she "broke the rule" if the rule is not being used in the service of honest government.

That rule gets broken literally every single day.
Also this

IronRinn

KY Democratic Party

6SRCpz4.jpg

Based on history the rule was established to prevent fights from breaking out not about discussing current senators seeking confirmation on an appointed post.

Jeels

I know it will probably take several cycles, but I can't wait for Mitch to be finally deposed at Senate majority leader. Fucking scum.

Tovarisc

Chuck Schumer calling out inconsistency on using Rule 19 and rightfully putting into question why this letter triggered use of it when more vile shit has been more than fine in past.

oh please they let The zodiac fucking call people LIARS and spout whatever he wants on the floor.

It's an abuse of senate process to shut down debate. It's a confirmation hearing -- there's supposed to be criticism of the appointee. They used the fact that the appointee is also a senator to stop the criticism.

Aside from that, it's a rule that's almost never enforced. It was intended for the days where there were fist fights on the senate floor.

OmniOne

Does anyone think that the theory for why McConnell did this was to intentionally elevate Warren, because they view her as an easily beatable potential 2020 Presidential nominee, holds merit?

So male senators have been allowed to read the letter without being silenced?

Please don't try to assert that gender played a part here. They're allowing it now because they will create a disaster if they continue to try to stop it. They're probably regretting it in the first place. No one was paying attention to this hearing. Not until he silenced Warren. Now everyone is watching. He's fucked up bad.

Does anyone think that the theory for why McConnell did this was to intentionally elevate Warren, because they view her as an easily beatable potential 2020 Presidential nominee, holds merit?

No.

Crayons

Banned
Bro, Tin foil is for Ivanka's dresses, not your head

UCBooties

Exactly. Get back to me when you free the slaves, Dems aka the party of the KKK.

actually had this card pulled on me and was jumped on by others when I said it was absurd. I don't social media anymore

That's right, the GOP and Dems can only be judged by their actions 150 years ago and 50 years ago respectively. Nothing that has happened in the intervening time can have any bearing when discussing the positions and actions of the two parties in regards to race. No siree.

I feel your pain

j-wood

Did this guy seriously just say we shouldn't make personal attacks on a person because of the position they take?

Tovarisc

Warren having strong interview on CNN about this issue, hopefully they release full video soon after this segment is over.

Gutek

Did this guy seriously just say we shouldn't make personal attacks on a person because of the position they take?

No, some women said it and he just repeated it.

P.S. I wonder when Colin Moriarty will chime in to tell us that " Regressive Republicans are trying to stymie free speech!"

Arkeband

Banned

I think the reason why he did it is because he's an insufferable douchebag.

KoopaTheCasual

On Morning Joe today (lol morning Joe iknowrite) they were saying that they thought McConnell chose to elevate warren in this way thinking it would benefit republicans if she became the face of the democratic parties resistance to the GOP and possibly a 2020 nominee.
Why would Warren be easily beatable? Not even a rhetorical question. If anyone has insight please jump in. She seems pretty consistent. I guess she's seen as "too radical"?

Arkeband

Banned
Why would Warren be easily beatable? Not even a rhetorical question. If anyone has insight please jump in. She seems pretty consistent. I guess she's seen as "too radical"?

Because the Republican base is racist as fuck and the Pocahontas line of attack would probably work.

Also she's a woman and they think now that they've beaten Hillary, all future female candidates are just as beatable.

Fox Mulder

On Morning Joe today (lol morning Joe iknowrite) they were saying that they thought McConnell chose to elevate warren in this way thinking it would benefit republicans if she became the face of the democratic parties resistance to the GOP and possibly a 2020 nominee.

or theyre just dumb and made a big deal out of nothing since they'll confirm anyways. Should have just let her read a letter, but theyre in power and want to flaunt it every way they can.

KoopaTheCasual

Because the Republican base is racist as fuck and the Pocahontas line of attack would probably work.

Also she's a woman and they think now that they've beaten Hillary, all future female candidates are just as beatable.
Wait wtffff??? I'm just learning about this Pocahontas angle. I don't know whether to laugh at how stupid of an "insult" it is, or cry that poking fun at someone having native heritage and actually speaking in interests of natives is somehow a "dig."

It's akin to calling her a "hippy dippy" or something dumb of that nature. That angle would never do damage in a presidential campaign and would only serve to invigorate the progressive base even more.

Edit: And this isn't like Sanders where they can delegitimize her influence and pull with those kind of insults. She's had very steadily growing support and power in left.

Misha

Banned
Conservatives really seem to love their safe spaces

How are they going to function in the outside world if they just avoid the mean stuff people say about them?

/s obv

I hope the media tears them a new one for this.. If not .. save us SNL?

Make them look like the assholes they are. The reason the SNL stuff seems to work is because conservatives can't stand to be laughed at. It may be their ultimate weakness.

Warren has no interest in running for President. So if the intention was to elevate her McConnell is barking up the wrong tree.

Republicans have been expecting her to run for awhile now and have a consistent attack message that seems to be sticking with both their base and moderates.

This is an absolute farce. This rule is broken daily, and way worse.

I think that's giving McConnell way too much credit.

Blader

Because Elizabeth Warren was such an obscure figure beforehand and THIS was the event that elevated her to a national level.

ITT (and pretty much every political topic here on GAF since November 8th 2016): white people realizing just how many ****s their fellow white people do not give.

Y'all still ain't woke yet. Just wait till the fallout from a DeVos-led educational system funnels the Next Generation into Sessions' LAW AND ORDER domain.

"But those emails."

*well there it is.gif*

Ogodei

Because Alison Lundergan Grimes ran a shit campaign trying to distance herself from the President.

Also, Kentucky. Fucking Kentucky.

She wouldn't have won even as a stronger candidate, frankly. You don't get to be head of your caucus if you're in a fragile position and 2014 was a bad year for Dems.

Getting an unapologetic Democrat to run against him would've been a nice start, yeah.

RPGCrazied

Something seems fishy. Sanders just tweeted he was allowed to read this letter, but Warren could not. Yeah, Mitch is just woman hating now.

Eagerly anticipating the condemnations of this from the alt-righters who value free speech so highly when it comes to speakers at college campuses (and internet forums).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom