• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emulated PS2 Games on PSN INCLUDING GOD HAND, GRIM GRIMOIRE, More...

leroidys said:
Just my opinion of course, but it is really, really, really awful.
I have beaten Rogue Galaxy and love it with all my heart (well, except the final boss).

Actually, I've been thinking yesterday that it would be very cool to have a Rogue Galaxy HD remake. The structure of the game makes it easy to add the Trophies support, and the game would look gorgeous in HD.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just wondering, I remember they removed the Emotion Engine/Chip on the 80GB PS3 onwards, so I was wondering how does the 80GB PS3 onwards emulate the PS2 games?

lherre

Accurate
ULTROS! said:
Just wondering, I remember they removed the Emotion Engine/Chip on the 80GB PS3 onwards, so I was wondering how does the 80GB PS3 onwards emulate the PS2 games?

Same with 60 pal launch units, the EE is emulated completely in this units. And I think they disabled EE in the old models that have a physical EE on them (20 and 60 gb jap-usa launch units)

Aru

lherre said:
Same with 60 pal launch units, the EE is emulated completely in this units. And I think they disabled EE in the old models that have a physical EE on them (20 and 60 gb jap-usa launch units)

Why would they do that ? Some people still use hardware BC...

lherre said:

They were never disabled. They still run PS2 disc games as well as they always have (assuming that your US/JPN 60GB PS3 still has a working disc drive. Sadly there's a design flaw that means that all 60GB PS3' disc drives will eventually crap out and die, like mine did :( )

Nuclear Muffin said:
They were never disabled. They still run PS2 disc games as well as they always have (assuming that your US/JPN 60GB PS3 still has a working disc drive. Sadly there's a design flaw that means that all 60GB PS3' disc drives will eventually crap out and die, like mine did :( )

So i should remove my 60GB machine's disc drive and sell it at a high price! (my machine crapped out due to a serious case of YLOD but the drive is OK)

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
cabot said:
Adding God Hand to my "Overrated horseshit that GAF likes because that forum is so far up it's own ass it doesn't know a fucking thing" list.
Learn to make your defenses impregnable.

I had a rough time at first, but I was playing it wrong.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Riiiiiiiight

Is there any new PS2 titles coming this week? Or was it just one time thing?
There will be a "steady flow" from now. Doesn't mean it will be every week.

Roto13

Andrefpvs said:
Where does the save data for these games go?
They have their own folder like PS Minis. (That means, unlike PSOne Classics, they don't use virtual memory cards and the saves are not interchangeable with the disc versions.)

onQ123

PSN vs PS2 ISO file sizes from my google searches

God Hand PSN 1.48GB vs 1.45GB PS2 ISO

Maximo: Ghosts To Glory PSN file size 713MB vs 690MB PS2 ISO

Odin Sphere PSN 3.28 GB vs 3.2GB PS2 ISO

Grim Grimoire PSN 1.33 GB vs 1.30 GB PS2 ISO

I haven't found Ring of Red PS2 ISO file size yet

mattp

Roto13 said:
They have their own folder like PS Minis. (That means, unlike PSOne Classics, they don't use virtual memory cards and the saves are not interchangeable with the disc versions.)
ugh
why would they do this

mattp said:
ugh
why would they do this
Probably to differentiate these from actual PS2 games on BC PS3.
Pretty silly reason though.

Xbox Originals aren't compatible with BC Xbox files either (at least, Ninja Gaiden Black isn't). Sucks.

mattp

wait, i though these were just running in custom-made emulators per game? not native ps3 code

edit: custom tweaked per game i should say

So what games do people want in the next batch of PS2 releases? (nominate three)
For me:
1. Yakuza
2. Yakuza 2
3. SSX Tricky

(I'm assuming Devil May Cry will receive the HD treatment at some point).

1. Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land
  2. Skygunner
  3. Dark Cloud

I'd like to see more niche games that are difficult to find for a decent price where I live. I'm definitely planning on buying God Hand and Ring of Red if/when they reach Europe.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'd nominate Shadow Hearts but that's going to be impossible (Midway = dead). Disaster Report too but they killed the IP.

I'll say:

• Suikoden V (or Suikoden III)
  • Valkyrie Profile 2
  • Haunting Ground

Ifrit

I know this are just emulated, but are there no improvements over the originals regarding access speed, faster loading times or maybe more stable framerates?

Roto13

Ifrit said:
I know this are just emulated, but are there no improvements over the originals regarding access speed, faster loading times or maybe more stable framerates?
Well, there's a graphics smoothing option.

Ravage

ok for the next batch of games, i'm wishing for

1. Star Ocean 3
2. Shadow Heart Trilogy (impossible i know)
3. Unlimited Saga

mostly because i don't think they stand any chance of getting remastered.

Dragon said:
Ugh@Star Ocean 3. I could not get through that game for the life of me.

imo, Tri-Ace perfected the action-RPG gameplay with SO3 :)

RedSwirl

klee123 said:
Yeah, I'm actually quite surprised with the game selection here. I was expecting something a bit more mainstream

Very unlike the usual SCEA.

The mainstream PS2 games are all getting HD ports, so most of what's left to focus on is the niche stuff. Or at least that's what I think is happening.

Yakuza and Yakuza 2 definitely need to be up there soon. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the Clover and Suda 51 stuff ended up there too like Viewtiful Joe, Okami, and Killer 7.

Roto13

I just bought the PS2 version of Yakuza 1 a few weeks ago for like $25. I'd be kind of annoyed to see it up there for $10 and playable on a PS3. :p

Rolf NB

I'd insta-buy SMT Nocturne. Never got to play that but heard a lot of the right things. By the time it came out in Europia (under a different name too), I was already winding down my PS2 game purchases.

And Dark Cloud 2 please.
MikeE21286 said:
I'd buy SO3 if it came out. That was always a PS2 game I wanted to get but never got around to it.
It's not that great. Tri-ace proved their complete mastery of tedium with that one, the combat is in no way good enough to carry it, and the story is bordering on the offensive.

Rolf NB said:
I'd insta-buy SMT Nocturne. Never got to play that but heard a lot of the right things. By the time it came out in Europia (under a different name too), I was already winding down my PS2 game purchases.

And Dark Cloud 2 please.It's not that great. Tri-ace proved their complete mastery of tedium with that one, the combat is in no way good enough to carry it, and the story is bordering on the offensive.
I think it was called SMT III: Nocturne Maniacs in Europe. Anyway, for my list of three, I own these and would buy them again day one:

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2

Dave Long

Banned
archnemesis said:
  1. Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land
  2. Skygunner
  3. Dark Cloud

I'd like to see more niche games that are difficult to find for a decent price where I live. I'm definitely planning on buying God Hand and Ring of Red if/when they reach Europe.
This is a pretty great list. I'd go with Dark Cloud 2 over the first, though.

Grinchy

Banned
JWong said:
Still waiting for that Odin Sphere Odette fight framerate report.

Edit: Example of what I'm talking about. Contains spoilers... I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBP5o1hxBKk
Wow Dark Souls really makes bad framerate seem ok. I mean that was definitely some crappy slowdown, but it seemed perfectly manageable for a complaint I've read about for all these years. I've always wanted to try this too. Maybe I should buy it.

joshwaan

Purchased Godhand and Maximo. What other games are worth getting out of the ps2 games on PSN atm?

Sony please add the following games thank you :)

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II
Dark Cloud
Devil May Cry
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Haunting Ground
Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks
Okami
Ratchet & Clank
Tekken Tag Tournament
Twisted Metal: Black
Urban Reign
Yakuza

I don't ask much but please add and I with many others will buy :)

DasRaven

joshwaan said:
Purchased Godhand and Maximo. What other games are worth getting out of the ps2 games on PSN atm?

Sony please add the following games thank you :)

Tekken Tag Tournament

I don't ask much but please add and I with many others will buy :)

Buy Tekken Hybrid and get TTT remastered in HD. That's what I'm doing.

So i bought odin sphere and grim grimoire last night...

just tried them out.

i found easy slowdonws in Odin sphere , i had hoped they would be inexistant thanks to the emulation or the superior hardware ...and it's not ..

It's trully a shame..

Well the game is still quite good

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
So, are these actually coming out on the JPN store? (Let alone the EU store...)

I'm frustrated, because not only do I not have a US account/address/credit card, but I'd quite like to support God Hand in the EU if I can, and failing that, just play it in Japanese like I did on the PS2.

Why are there these stupid discrepancies between territories with something as simple as 'Classic PS2 Games on your PS3'? This sounds a bit extreme, but at times like this, I don't think I'll ever understand/appreciate modern gaming, no matter how much it tries to be cool.

Maximo Army of Zin was one of my favorite PS2 games, but Ghosts to Glory is seriously testing my patience. It's much harder, mostly for all the wrong reasons. The camera control makes it hard to judge even the simplest jumps and makes for tons of cheap hits from enemies spawning offscreen. It takes like an hour to manually adjust the view in the direction you want. Brutal. Mechanically the game is really fun, but I don't know if I can stick with it.

Fantasmo

I did it. I had to. I double dipped on God Hand. I seriously think Mikami is my favorite game designer of all time. Or the most consistent anyway. I love all the games he has directed. God this download is taking too long.

The next set of games

Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland – Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland takes the popular series in a whole new direction, offering a deeper and more robust role-playing experience. It might be best described as a ‘Life Simulation’.

Raiden III – Raiden III for PlayStation 2 is a port of the classic arcade shooter, complete with a stage select mode that lets you replay stages once you’ve cleared them. The series has transitioned from its 2D roots to 3D, creating lush environments, devastating explosions and countless enemies, without a drop in frame-rate. Two players can play together to push back the invading forces, just like in the arcade!

Bloodrayne – As the vampiric agent BloodRayne, you’ll travel through the eerie swamps of Louisiana, to Argentina and Germany in this battle-heavy, third-person thriller. The game features non-linear gameplay in more than 40 levels and three massive worlds, the ability to suck blood for health, and to use slow-motion, zoom and aura visions to aid in death dealing. Pull off fantastic acrobatic moves to bend the environment to your will and dispatch enemies with BloodRayne’s blades and kicks for awesome in-your-face combat.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/10/30/the-drop-week-of-october-31st-2011-new-releases/

Top Bottom