• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emulated PS2 Games on PSN INCLUDING GOD HAND, GRIM GRIMOIRE, More...

leroidys

Oh god this is so awesome. I've had ring of red in my goozex queue for like 2 years. If these indeed are playable on vita, the vita will be the most amazing srpg machine OF ALL TIME on launch day.

fna84 said:
Time for me to buy a new ps3...60gb isn't enough anymore :(

errr you can just get a new hard drive.

androvsky

fna84 said:

I believe there are 1 TB hard drives that will fit in a PS3 nowadays. :)

My 500 GB is going to start feeling the pinch, I fear...

Sblargh

Banned
fna84 said:

Customizing PS3 hard drive is the easiest thing in the easy town of easy planet. And yeah, I recommend 1TB, it's just worth it never have to worry about space for anything.
--
And what is this meme about these being playable on Vista? Reality can't be that awesome, can it?

Amagon

Cool to see these PS2 games finally pumping into PSN. Though, I'm not gonna double dip on titles I do have in my collection. But thankfully, God's Hand, Maximo, & Odin Sphere I do not own. If its price accordingly, they could take my moneyz.

The Lamp said:
Bring Tomba and Tomba 2 or there is no justice in this world.
Preach it brother, PREACH IT!!!

zlatko

Banned
Color me interested in Odin Sphere as I missed out on that game. I hope we see more PS2 titles make it like Dragon Quest 8, because I also missed out on that. :)

Tizoc

THE NO LIFE KING said:
Cool to see these PS2 games finally pumping into PSN. Though, I'm not gonna double dip on titles I do have in my collection. But thankfully, God's Hand, Maximo, & Odin Sphere I do not own. If its price accordingly, they could take my moneyz.

Preach it brother, PREACH IT!!!
Aren't Tomba 1 and 2 on JP PSN?

Ellis Kim

Banned
duckroll said:
Well, currently...

PS1 = $4.99 to $9.99
PS2 = $14.99 to $19.99 (assumed)
PS3 = $29.99 to $59.99

In future we can expect new PS4 games to cost the same as new PS3 games now - $59.99. That still allows them to price PS3 re-releases for $29.99 or even $24.99. There's still a long way to go between ~30 bucks pricing hits ~60 bucks pricing.

So maybe you're worried about the PS7 or PS8? Lol.
$5.99 USD. Its why they're $3 when they do 50% off sales.

Also, for clarification for others, the $$9.99 premium for some PS1 games is not exclusive to S-E. The trend is to charge $9.99 for the "first entry" in a series, i.e. Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, etc., while the sequels are regularly priced.

Personally I'm hoping for $9.99 for these PS2 games if they want to be competitive with Gamestop. $15 premium. $20 is a god damned HD port (Damn you, Capcom, sleezy bastards).

linko9

So uhhhh... how easy is it to transfer everything from an old hard drive to a new one... because if this is true, 120GB will not be enough for me.

Animekatt

Man this is great news. With this news, a new Bloody Roar, and new episodes of Pop-up video, I'm just in shock at how many good things are happening for me in a span of a few days.

Even though it's not a PS2 port, how about Legend of Dragoon to the PSN store? Or even an announcement of Legend of Dragoon 2??

duckroll said:
Most likely yes. Don't expect any trophies or HD enhancements.

I would be ok without any HD enhancements but all these semi-emulated games without trophies is annoying... I'm looking at you NeoGeo and PC-Engine!

Sblargh

Banned
linko9 said:
So uhhhh... how easy is it to transfer everything from an old hard drive to a new one... because if this is true, 120GB will not be enough for me.

Everything is backupable to a pen-drive, so if you have one big enough you can just follow the instructions and everything will be ok. Without a good pen drive, tho, it can be a hassle to copy individual save files and game datas and stuff like that to and from a PC, but it's doable.

C_H_T said:

I did not know that. Fuck me, seriously.

Ellis Kim

Banned
linko9 said:
Depends, do you have saves that are copy-locked?

If no, then its very easy: Just delete everything on your HDD except for saves and profiles, and backup everything onto a 4GB thumbdrive. (if you want, you can do a total backup via external hdd w/ 500gig cap)

If yes, you have two options:

1) Buy 3 months (or a year) of PS+ and backup your non-copyable saves (i.e. Demon's Souls), and do the above for the rest.

2) Buy a new PS3 and connect the two systems for a complete data transfer. I am serious.

androvsky

The thing that bugs me is that I've been slowly picking up these games because it seemed like Sony was never going to get off their ass and do something about the PS2 situation. Just paid $20 for GrimGrimoire a month ago, probably would've preferred a PSN version (depending on the port/emulation quality).

IdreamofHIME said:
How about us Europeans that are actually buying PS3's every month?

We getting punished (coz we secretly like it) again?

Most likely we will get these games a month later and as 50Hz slowpoke versions ;D

zlatko said:
Color me interested in Odin Sphere as I missed out on that game. I hope we see more PS2 titles make it like Dragon Quest 8, because I also missed out on that. :)

Odin Sphere is without doubt one of the most beautiful and interesting games on the PS2. It is also incredibly boring...but it sure looks nice.

GG is a much better game.

Noshino

duckroll said:
No way. Maybe you should go check how much they are charging for stuff like God of War Collection and most PSP games on PSN.

GoW Origins 39.99
GoW CoO (PSN+) 19.99
-------CoO (PSP) 19.99
GoW GoS (PSN+) 19.99
-------GoS (PSP) 29.99

GoW Collection 29.99
GoW 1 (PSN+) 14.99
GoW 2 (PSN+) 14.99

RE4 19.99 PSN+ $10.00
RECV 19.99 PSN+ $10.00
PoP Trilogy 39.99
SC Trilogy 39.99
TR:Underworld 14.99
MoH:Frontline 14.99

So I guess I ll adjust my estimate and say that they ll stick to the 15 to 20 price point

Ellis Kim said:
Also, for clarification for others, the $$9.99 premium for some PS1 games is not exclusive to S-E. The trend is to charge $9.99 for the "first entry" in a series, i.e. Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, etc., while the sequels are regularly priced.

For EU (from the top of my head:)

€5 for most PS1 games
€2,50 - €3 for shovelware trash PS1 games
€10 for almost all of the Square games, including all of the Tomb Raiders (not just the first one), some Capcom games and MGS.

Prices are pretty inconsistent, but when I look at Nintendo's Virtulol Console offerings, I'm reminded that things can be way worse.
duckroll said:
What disgusts me most about S-E's "premium" PS1 releases on PSN is that some of them were really shitty ports on the PS1 to begin with, and they're charging 1200yen for them. It's really puzzling.

Chrono Trigger and FF6? Never played those games but I remember people slamming them around yeah.

In the end, Square and Capcom don't come close to Ubisoft and their generous €70 offer for Driver, though.

Adamm

With 'HD Classics' & now this i will be playing more PS2 games than ps3 ones these days.

Not that im complaining - Odin Sphere, ODIN SPHERE!!!!!

Any word is this is Sony wide or just SCEA.

Given the timing of the news hitting I guess SCEE might be in but we haven't seen anything from ether SCEA or EE

duckroll

funkystudent said:
Any word is this is Sony wide or just SCEA.

Given the timing of the news hitting I guess SCEE might be in but we haven't seen anything from ether SCEA or EE

Haven't heard anything official from Japan or Asia yet either. I'm guessing the news is breaking via media outlets first, and there'll be a formal announcement later today or some time tomorrow.

androvsky said:
Well, PAL is getting that NTSC import store for PS1 games...

Yeah but that is like a special selection of games for import fans. All other PSX games and such are still required to be the PEGI-rated european versions :/
PLEASE LET THESE BE 60Hz NTSC

Durante

GrimGrimoire is awesome.

Suairyu said:
It won't be straight software emulation; the ps3 doesn't have the horsepower. We are talking a port.
I'm not convinced. It could be a kind of slightly customized generic emulation, like what MS did for Xbox titles on 360. None of the announced games are very demanding.

duckroll

Durante said:
GrimGrimoire is awesome.

Yes!!!!!!

I'm not convinced. It could be a kind of slightly customized generic emulation, like what MS did for Xbox titles on 360. None of the announced games are very demanding.

That's not true at all. Ring of Red is a VERY demanding game
on your patience.

Jonnyram

Awesome. Announce it in Japan already, Sony.
And you know these are all gonna be playable on Vita too. OM. NOM. NOM.

androvsky

Durante said:
GrimGrimoire is awesome.

That's true, there is a straight software PS2 emulator that hackers managed to unlock, and it was working with some games even back in 2009 (apparently Twisted Metal Black runs quite well on it). Chances are pretty good that the PS3 can emulate a decent number of PS2 titles with a tweaked emulator for each title, but most of the really big titles are also the ones most likely to push the hardware the most and not work. And some of those are getting proper HD ports.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
duckroll said:
Most likely yes. Don't expect any trophies or HD enhancements.
You know, until they come out, I wouldn't rule out the chance the games were recompiled to run Nativity on the PS3, instead of being emulated. If they were, it may mean they could run at a higher resolution, and may fix potential slowdown.

While I am not expecting any more then just the 480i games released half a decade ago, I think there is enough of a chance there may be inherent upgrades if the developers had to actually recompile the code for the PS3.

Top Bottom