• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enterbrain Weekly (31st Jan - 5th Feb)

ypo

"Er, which gap? The PSP w"eekly 15-20k lead over DS or the DS 850k total lead over PSP?"

:lol Awww how cute, he looks serious.

*Looks at thread title* Enterbrain Weekly...

Hmmmm

duckroll

jarrod said:
psycho_snake said:
I cant wait until PSP passes NDS in sales and see this whole board explode.

See you in 2006. :p

Yeah, this isn't going to happen for a long long time. I'm certain the PSP will sell 10 million by Dec 2005(as long as Sony can make them!) but I'm also pretty certain the DS will easily surpass 10 million in 2005. But what everyone should be surprised about is how easily Sony is easing into the market. Released a few weeks later after the DS, the PSP now has half the userbase the DS has while costing more. That's a huge achievement no matter how you look at it.

The interest in the DS/PSP war for me is not so much about supporting Nintendo or Sony, but looking at the strong indication that Nintendo is completely wrong when they say that gamers are getting less interested in games and only they can show the light to the industry. Obviously gamers don't give a flying fuck about how "unoriginal" Sony is.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Great DS #s! Putting up 30K a week this far post-launch with just Yoshi propelling the system is impressive, IMO. Says good things about when Nintendo gets Mario Kart, Advane Wars, Animal Crossing, and a true pokemon sequel ready.

I think that Nintendo should release two big titles, like Kart and AW, ont he same day that they announce a price drop, maybe to the equiv. of $120, sometime this summer/fall. They'd sell millions. MILLIONS.

Endymion

DarienA said:
Is this true? I thought the last thread on this topic showed that RE numbers were already taking a dive on the PS2....

How could this be possible if no exclusive RE game has been released on PS2 before the Capcom announcement in the September 2001?

nitewulf

:lol :lol :lol
These photoshops are hilarious.
Anyway, with regards to RE4, so let's say PS2 owners and RE fans held off from buying Gamecubes and RE4s due to the announcement of RE4 being ported to the PS2. But what about Gamecube owners themselves, are they also waiting for the PS2 port of RE4? Does that make any sense to *anyone*?

duckroll said:
duckroll's Nintend00m Photoshop Series #3: Two guys, a bomba and a touchscreen game

iwata_w_bomba.jpg
reggie_w_bomba.jpg

ninbomb.jpg

:lol :lol

damn duckroll!

BlackSalad said:
do you think the GBA SP is hurting the DS's sales? Competition between nintendo handhelds!
Of course the GBA hurts the sales of the DS and PSP. And the DS hurts the sales of the GBA and PSP (or would if it wasn't in such low supply). And the PSP hurts the sales of the GBA and DS.

nitewulf said:
But what about Gamecube owners themselves, are they also waiting for the PS2 port of RE4? Does that make any sense to *anyone*?
Some people would prefer to get a version that they presume will offer extra features.

duckroll

nitewulf said:
Anyway, with regards to RE4, so let's say PS2 owners and RE fans held off from buying Gamecubes and RE4s due to the announcement of RE4 being ported to the PS2. But what about Gamecube owners themselves, are they also waiting for the PS2 port of RE4? Does that make any sense to *anyone*?

GC 3rd party sales do NOT make sense in general. Being a GC owner who plays imports, it's fucking sad to watch one exclusive after another bomb, bomb and bomb. I've come to realize that most GC owners didn't get it for 3rd party, they got it for Nintendo games as reflected by sales. The 200+k people buying RE4 GC in Japan are probably the only 200+k people with a GC who are actually interested in the game. Most GC owners probably don't give a shit if it's the BEST GAME EVER, as long as it's not a Nintendo game they're not interested. Welcome to the sad reality of GC 3rd party. :( :( :( :(

GDGF

Soothsayer
human5892 said:
I think there are a few others, but they've learned to keep their beliefs hidden in the silence of shame.

I'm a gonna keep mums about handheld battles until Pokemon D&P release later in the year, thank you very much. I learned my lesson!

(of course, if any of the Square games or Jump Super Stars put the NDS ahead of the PSP for the week along the way I will be very chatty :D)

GDGF

Soothsayer
koam said:
Big GBA release (or so it seems) and people go off to buy gbas to play it instead of DSes. weird.

Yeah, I was wondering how that was gonna play out earlier. Guess we found out.

Deg said:
DS is a GBA playable system.
Sure. But since GBA is still an option, the subset of people who could afford the DS but don't care about its exclusive games/features or would prefer to do GBA multiplayer, could be considered DS's lost sales to GBA.

EDIT: As for the people talking about the GBA getting a boost this week... whaaa? It's actually slightly lower than last week. PSP dropped more, though, so the ceiling is just closer. Here are the numbers for this week, along with the numbers from last which which I _think_ were Enterbrain, though it didn't specifically say.

PSP: 51,000 (71,000)
PS2: 49,000 (53,800)
NDS: 35,000 (42,000)
GBA SP: 20,000 (22,000)
NGC: 5,200 (9,700)
XBX: 300 (500)
GBA: 500 (400)

The reason the DS isn't selling so well right now is due to competition from the Game Boy Pocket. And that's a scientific fact (so says the wise words of Champ Kind). :D

DS + GBA sales are just as I expected, PSP sales is still something to watch. If and when it starts meeting demand, will numbers be greater or more modest? And the software not penetrating the chart yet is interesting too. I'm not gonna draw any conclusions from anything, cos I'm not qualified to. I'm just gonna keep reading the predictable threads.

I hope you guys in the states have been buying RE4. You had my import to help a lil'!

RE4 US +1

jarrod said:
See you in 2006. :p

And ducky, that last photoshop was great. :lol

IMO, it will happen before then. Right now the PSP is completely supply constrained and once they are readily available, you might see som spectacular sales. As always, the software will have to be there to support it.

Even though I believe that from a development standpoint, the two systems are quite equal, I just tend to believe that the incredible technology in the PSP will benefit it more from great games than the DS will.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Amir0x said:
Do we have totals for DS and PSP in Japan in 2005?

Enterbrain 1/2/05-2/6/05

DS: 314000
PSP: 300000

Media Create 1/2/05-1/30/2005 (#'s for last wk not available yet)

DS: 249922
PSP: 267602

Official numbers from either Ebrain or MC will probably differ for 05 to date since these are just tallies based on weekly numbers posted, starting with first full week of 05.

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
IMO, it will happen before then. Right now the PSP is completely supply constrained and once they are readily available, you might see som spectacular sales. As always, the software will have to be there to support it.
It's possible, but then when supply ramps up demand may just level out as well. PSP's still enjoying an extended launch push thanks to it's miniscule supplies, I'm not sure you can expect sales to just shoot up once supply builds. If DS was following the same supply trend PSP has, it's sales would be identical right now.

In the short term too (at least for Japan) I think DS will have the advantage in high profile software releases. This year all PSP really has is GT4mobile, while DS boasts Mario Kart, FF3, Rockman.EXE and maybe even Pokemon DP. PSP will come around in 2006 (with FFVIICC leading the way) but right now it's seems DS is benefitting from shorter development cycles, mobile crossover and smaller scale resource demands. PSP won't pull ahead in Japan until FFVIICC releases imo, which won't be until spring 2006 most likely.

Amir0x

Banned
kaching said:
Enterbrain 1/2/05-2/6/05

DS: 314000
PSP: 300000

Media Create 1/2/05-1/30/2005 (#'s for last wk not available yet)

DS: 249922
PSP: 267602

Official numbers from either Ebrain or MC will probably differ for 05 to date since these are just tallies based on weekly numbers posted, starting with first full week of 05.

I love battles.

Prine

Banned
yeah, fantastic news from Japan. Its great to see PSP selling so well.

PSP will overtake NDS this year, thanks to EU and Japan. US will take a little longer, mostly due to the price

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
jarrod said:
It's possible, but then when supply ramps up demand may just level out as well. PSP's still enjoying an extended launch push thanks to it's miniscule supplies, I'm not sure you can expect sales to just shoot up once supply builds. If DS was following the same supply trend PSP has, it's sales would be identical right now.

In the short term too (at least for Japan) I think DS will have the advantage in high profile software releases. This year all PSP really has is GT4mobile, while DS boasts Mario Kart, FF3, Rockman.EXE and maybe even Pokemon DP. PSP will come around in 2006 (with FFVIICC leading the way) but right now it's seems DS is benefitting from shorter development cycles, mobile crossover and smaller scale resource demands. PSP won't pull ahead in Japan until FFVIICC releases imo, which won't be until spring 2006 most likely.

Don't forget Jump Super Stars for the DS, which I think will be it's best selling game in Japan, or maybe second to Pokemon DP, when all is said and done.

Insertia

I can't believe the consensus of why RE4 bombed is because it was annouced for PS2. :lol :lol

It bombed because it's on Gamecube.

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
It's dive started on PSone, then it plummeted on Dreamcast, then stablizied on PS2/GC. Par for the course really considering how RE was mired in formula, same thing happened with Street Fighter in the 32bit generation.
The series took a slight dive on the PS1 with RE3. Yet that still sold millions. It's all been downhill from there. I'm not buying that it "stabalized" on the PS2/GC. Putting the series on the Gamecube was just as stupid-if not more-than putting it on the Dreamcast. I'd imagine Code Veronica's DC sales are about the same as that of either REmake or RE0. I feel bad for the people who worked on RE4 as they'll have to watch their game seriously underperform on Gamecube. With only Nintendo and Capcom to blame.

Izzy

Banned
DCharlie said:
The DS was launched 10 days (?) before the PSP... even if the DS dropped to zero sales a week for four weeks , at the current rate sony STILL wouldn't catch up so i don't see how you can say the fact that the DS is ahead is down to the extra week and a bit they've had.

Sony are still promising 1 million units a month, with "800k units sold" (as of Jan 21st) which is basically absolute bullshit. If they had lauched with 1 million units, they would have sold them all... but they didn't (not Nintendo's problem) because Kutaragi wanted to balance risk with inventory (does *anyone* actually believe that???)

David, if I recall correctly Sony actually mentioned '800 k shipped by Jan 21st', not sold; even in their NA PSP press release. But it's all moot, isn't it - Media Create usually show ~100k higher PSP total so it should easily be around 850k sold.

4. Bioharzard 4 - GC - 29,000 (174k)

It may yet reach ~250k, but it'll clearly end up the worst selling game in the main series. What a horrible, and potentially deadly mistake by Capcom - instead of stabbing Sony, they stabbed themselves in the back.

jarrod

Banned
Insertia said:
I can't believe the consensus of why RE4 bombed is because it was annouced for PS2. :lol :lol

It bombed because it's on Gamecube.
You'd think it would've at least put up RE0, Naruto 2-3 or Symphonia numbers then. Big exclusive 3rd party games can usually expect 350-450k on GameCube in Japan, what exactly made RE4 diferent from those? RE4 is underperforming even *for* GameCube, there's pretty clearly some other factor at play here than just the platform. I bet sales would've doubled if Capcom had waited until now to announce the PS2 port. I expect the same to happen in all markets really.

Juno said:
The series took a slight dive on the PS1 with RE3. Yet that still sold millions. It's all been downhill from there. I'm not buying that it "stabalized" on the PS2/GC. Putting the series on the Gamecube was just as stupid-if not more-than putting it on the Dreamcast. I'd imagine Code Veronica's DC sales are about the same as that of either REmake or RE0. I feel bad for the people who worked on RE4 as they'll have to watch their game seriously underperform on Gamecube. With only Nintendo and Capcom to blame.
RE3 sold about 2 million less than it's predecessor, it's actually the 2nd sharpest decline the series ever had (the drop to CV was slightly more then). Then things seemed to stabilize on GC/PS2, all the games selling about on par. Just look at the sales yourself, GC was definitely not a worse choice then Dreamcast, especially given the nature of the first 2 GC titles (a PSone remake and a N64 upgrade, released within 6 months of each other). I doubt they'd have performed much better on PS2 in all honestly, probably 500k more at best. And notice how big PS2 games like Onimusha/DMC have fallen as well.

*Japan only sales so far.

Resident Evil (PS) 2,750,000
Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PS) 2,330,000
Resident Evil 2 (PS) 5,560,000
Resident Evil 2 (N64) 1,100,000
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PS) 3,500,000
Resident Evil Code: Veronica (DC) 1,160,000
Resident Evil Code: Veronica X (PS2) 1,320,000
Resident Evil (GC) 1,240,000
Resident Evil 0 (GC) 1,190,000
Resident Evil Outbreak (PS2) 1,290,000
Resident Evil Outbreak: File #2 (PS2) 230,000*
Resident Evil 4 (GC) 180,000*

Onimusha: Warlords (PS2) 2,020,000
Genma Onimusha (XB) 180,000
Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny (PS2) 1,990,000
Onimusha 3: Demon Siege (PS2) 1,290,000

Devil May Cry (PS2) 2,160,000
Devil May Cry 2 (PS2) 1,500,000

Dino Crisis (PS) 2,400,000
Dino Crisis 2 (PS) 1,190,000
Dino Crisis 3 (XB) 110,000

Clocktower 3 (PS2) 300,000

jarrod said:
RE3 sold about 2 million less than it's predecessor, it's actually the 2nd sharpest decline the series ever had (the drop to CV was slightly more then). Then things seemed to stabilize on GC/PS2, all the games selling about on par. Just look at the sales yourself, GC was definitely not a worse choice then Dreamcast, especially given the nature of the first 2 GC titles (a PSone remake and a N64 upgrade within 6 months of each other). I doubt they'd have much better on PS2 in all honestly, probably 500k more at best.

Jarrod, you've done this listing before, but I think trying to use the 3rd and 4th iteration of a game on a console, when that games design was antiquated is an unfair comparison.

Look at GT3 on the PS2. It sold way more than it's predecessors, because it had pent up demand on a new system that could really show off the title. And it was an excellent game to boot. If you look at most sequels that made it to this next generation, they've been inferior to their predecessors in some way.

Tomb Raider, Crash, Driver, Mario, Zelda have all had significantly less acclaim that there predecessors and were not nearly as successful.

You simply have to assume the likelyhood that a 3rd and 4th iteration will naturally lose steam on a system and that the quality of the game makes a difference.

I think there's a pretty good possiblity that RE4's first week sales on the PS2 will outdo what the game has sold on the GC up to that point. It seems especially likely with a game like REOutbreak debuting with 200k (higher than any GC RE debut).

People are forgetting that Nintendo has much more room to manuver in terms of pricing the DS. I think when PSP production ramps up, the DS will see a price drop.

I'm really hoping RE4 sales take off here in North America. Other than the occasenial clipping, this game is the most polished console game I've played since Ninja Gaiden.

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Jarrod, you've done this listing before, but I think trying to use the 3rd and 4th iteration of a game on a console, when that games design was antiquated is an unfair comparison.
Well, every RE since part 2 has been mired in "antiquated" design really. Would you agree it's also unfair basing GameCube potential off a PSone remake and N64 portover released within a 6 month stretch?

sonycowboy said:
Look at GT3 on the PS2. It sold way more than it's predecessors, because it had pent up demand on a new system that could really show off the title. And it was an excellent game to boot. If you look at most sequels that made it to this next generation, they've been inferior to their predecessors in some way.
Actually, I thought GT1 had outsold GT3 too? What are the totals?

sonycowboy said:
You simply have to assume the likelyhood that a 3rd and 4th iteration will naturally lose steam on a system and that the quality of the game makes a difference.
Oh I'd agree, my original point was that RE's decline was inevitable so long as the series stuck to it's 32bit design. Same as what happened to Street Fighter last generation.

SolidSnakex said:
I think there's a pretty good possiblity that RE4's first week sales on the PS2 will outdo what the game has sold on the GC up to that point. It seems especially likely with a game like REOutbreak debuting with 200k (higher than any GC RE debut).
I agree, though it's worth noting RE0 debuted with 190k (which isn't far off from REO and was also what RECVX PS2 started with). Also worth noting REO File #2 saw a pretty substantial drop (1st week was 90k, which is actually the lowest 1st week for any RE).

If Capcom hadn't announced the PS2 port, I think sales would've played out more like Symphonia on GC/PS2 (about 350k/400k) but now PS2 owners will simply wait it out.

jarrod said:
Actually, I thought GT1 had outsold GT3 too? What are the totals?

http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/previews/preview.pl?sys=ps2&game=gt4

FRANCHISE STATISTICS

* North American sales
- Gran Turismo (May 1998 release): more than 3.9 million
- Gran Turismo 2 (December 1999 release): more than 3.8 million
- Gran Turismo 3 A-spec (July 2001 release): more than 6 million (Includes GT3 Racing Pack)

* Worldwide sales
- Gran Turismo: more than 10.8 million
- Gran Turismo 2: more than 9 million
- Gran Turismo 3 A-spec: more than 13 million (Includes GT3 Racing Pack)

jarrod

Banned
Izzy said:
Jarrod, you should use combined PS2 + DC worldwide sales for RE:CV in your list.
What good would that do when looking at platform performance though. Should I also combine RE1, RE1 DC and RE1 Remake?

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
I only have US numbers, but

· North American sales
Gran Turismo (May 1998 release): More than 3.8 million;
Gran Turismo 2 (December 1999 release): More than 3.5 million;
Gran Turismo 3 A-spec (July 2001 release): Nearly 5 million (Includes GT3 Racing Pack)

Here's JP figures...

Gran Turismo: 2.6M
Gran Turismo 2: 1.8M
Gran Turismo 3 A-spec: 1.4M

I think they're Famitsu... I remember hearing GT2 sold about 9M worldwide and GT3 about 12M. I dunno about GT1 though, GT3 might very well be the best selling in the series.

Izzy

Banned
jarrod said:
What good would that do when looking at platform performance though. Should I also combine RE1, RE1 DC and RE1 Remake?

I love your lists, and I think single platform numbers should be left as they are.

But, for some games like RE:CV and RE4, in addition to single platform numbers, you could make 'an all platform total :) '.

jarrod said:
Here's JP figures...

Gran Turismo: 2.6M
Gran Turismo 2: 1.8M
Gran Turismo 3 A-spec: 1.4M

I think they're Famitsu... I remember hearing GT2 sold about 9M worldwide and GT3 about 12M. I dunno about GT1 though, GT3 might very well be the best selling in the series.

I updated the numbers above using the latest preview I could find. ;)

jarrod

Banned
Izzy said:
I love your lists, and I think single platform numbers should be left as they are.

But, for some games like RE:CV and RE4, in addition to single platform numbers, you could make 'an all platform total :) '.
Well, here goes...

Resident Evil 1~ 6,320,000
Resident Evil 2~ 6,660,000
Resident Evil 3~ 3,500,000
Resident Evil Code: Veronica~ 2,480,000
Resident Evil 0~ 1,190,000
Resident Evil Outbreak~ 1,290,000
Resident Evil Outbreak: File #2~ 230,000
Resident Evil 4~ 180,000

...it's worth noting that these numbers are missing the DC/GC ports of RE2-3 and RECVX GC. They'd likely bump things up around 50-200k each I'd guess, I don't really know. :/

It's also missing any sales from PC ports (RE1-3), though generally nobody really looks at PC sales for console games.

sonycowboy said:
I updated the numbers above using the latest preview I could find. ;)
Well seems GT3 is not only the best selling GT game but also the best selling PS2 game period. Think any of the GTAs will ever pass it?

jarrod said:
Well seems GT3 is not only the best selling GT game but also the best selling PS2 game period. Think any of the GTAs will ever pass it?

Both GTA:VC and certainly GTA:SA have a shot to. GTA:VC is over 13M (as of sometime last year), but that includes Xbox and PC sales (which cannot be over 2M WW tops).

And GTA:SA is significantly ahead of GTA:VC at similar timeframes.

Top Bottom