• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enterbrain Numbers 17 - 23rd Jan Uh-oh!!

Miburou

I think the funniest thing is the people who kept insisting that the PSP vs DS war doesn't matter because the GBA SP will outsell them both combined.

Jonnyram said:
But what does the DS need to sell to reach Nintendo's shipment estimates? :D

Anyway, not mentioned on the first page:
28 Band Brothers 6600 / total 126,000
29 Metal Gear Acid 6500 / total 82,000
30 Mojipittan 6500 / total 61,000
Whoa, Band Brothers did over 125k? This makes me smile. It's really the only game out of the current DS line up in Japan that makes me feel quite happy to own the system.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
duckroll said:
You got a very valid point there. Maybe what we could do is sticky an official "bet your ban" thread and have everyone participate on weekly bets (including this week) but with no actual bans. Everything tallies up and at the end of 2005, if the PSP sells more than 10 million, all those betting on the PSP would be cleared of any ban debts they incurred while those betting on the DS would ALL get a 1 month + total ban tally during 2005 big ass ban. And if the PSP fails to sell 10 million by the end of 2005, vice versa. That would make it far more exciting! :D

:lol Not a bad idea at all.

RE4 sales will boost GC sales to 350k!!11 ;)

Damn, maybe he needs to stay around for one more ownership ceremony... for old time's sake, ya know :)

Diffense

Looking over the sales figures it seems the increase in PSP sales has been quite modest.

Enterbrain

Period - PSP | DS

Dec 27-Jan 2 - 111k | 173k

Jan 3-9 - 55000 | 132k

Jan 10-16 - 57000 | 58000

Jan 17-23 - 66000 | 47000

DS sales are definitely stabilizing to more normal levels earlier probably due to greater availability and the fact that it launched first. It was unrealistic to expect the godly 100k+ figures to continue unabated.

OTOH, PSP sales are showing a slight increase after the drastic post-launch dip. However, by now DS has a sizeable lead and can afford to concede a few K for a few weeks. Furthermore, I think Nintendo has software that can cause DS sales to spike.

It's not inconceivable that this could be the turning point for the PSP but maybe the level of celebration is excessive. These gains are babysteps on the road to dominance. :)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"What, so you honestly think PSP will continue to outsell DS from now on, maybe widening the gap every week even though it doesn't have a particularly big release for months and the "shortage" problem is now fading?"

note 1 : Kutaragi lied or made a mistake regarding 800k
note 2 : THERE ARE STILL NO PSPs readily available, when they do become available (at a rate of 100k+ a week) , it's going to be an absolute horror show in terms of sales ownership.
note 3 : if you still think the streets are paved with PSPs here and that the GAF.jp crowd are lying (?) then you need help!

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Broshnat said:
Well if you look back to my very early predictions for xmas sellers, you'll notice it wasn't all that bad overall...

http://www.ga-forum.com/showpost.php?p=665020&postcount=1

Some decent predictions in there, no doubt.

Jonnyram aka The Man said:
Anyway, not mentioned on the first page:
28 Band Brothers 6600 / total 126,000
29 Metal Gear Acid 6500 / total 82,000
30 Mojipittan 6500 / total 61,000

Glad to see MGA doing decently... it's a great game!

No, you guys should start betting money.

I'm down, baby :D I already put up a PSP game of choice for anyone who wants to take me up on my bet regarding the potential regional lockout on games -- I bet that I will be able to play the majority of USA titles on my Japanese PSP. You win, I buy you a PSP (or any other handheld) game of your choice (non-limited edition); I win, you buy me a PSP game of my choosing. I'll put up straight $$$ on that, too :)

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
JackFrost2012 said:
N-BOTS ... BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH!

I would like to bet that PSP will break 1.1 million units in Japan by March 15th. (March 15th is a Tuesday, so technically this is the week ending March 13.)

I was gonna bet 1 million units, but that's practically a gimme at this point. The extra .1 is to make things ... interesting.

Period of ban to be 2 weeks.

WHO WILL BE FIRST TO FACE MY CHALLENGE?!

I'll take you up on this too only if it's a 2 periodd of 2 weeks

I just hope Naruto DS comes out before March to slow down PSP sales.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I wanna see some staunch fanboy bet an E3 ban when the forum hopefully gets locked to non-registered lurkers!

thefit

I don't think yoshi is gonna do much. PSP seems to be on a roll due to its cool factor its kick ass features and what it will offer in the future. Its the gadget everyone wants but not necesarily for the current games out its the next ipod. This is the PS2 vs GC all over again. What would you rather be caught in public playing a PSP or something that will make you loook like you about to powder your nose, wich will get you more attention, wich just looks out right cooler?

Mrbob

Oi, oi, oi, oi, oi, oi, oi, oi, oi, oi, oi, oi, oi, oi, oi

See me ride out of the sunset
On your colour tv screen
Out for all that i can get
If you know what i mean
Women to the left of me
And women to the right
Ain't got no gun
Ain't got no knife
But don't you start no fight

Chorus:
'cause i'm PSP, i'm dynamite
PSP and i'll win the fight
PSP i'm a power load
PSP watch me explode

I'm dirty, mean and mighty unclean
I'm a wanted man
Public enemy number one
Understand
So lock up your daughter
Lock up your wife
Lock up your back door
And run for your life
The man is back in town
Don't you mess me 'round

PSP oi, oi, oi
PSP oi, oi, oi
PSP oi, oi, oi
PSP oi, oi, oi
PSP oi
I'm dynamite (oi, oi)
PSP oi,
And i'll win the fight,
PSP
I'm a power load
PSP
Watch me explode!

PSP is just the better product given its price and what Sony is offering.

It's also sleeker, sexier, and appeals moreso to the older consumer, which make up the bulk of 1st year buyers.

Also I think the PSP seems "fresher" than the DS because we really have never had "Sony styled" gaming on a portable before. Games like Ridge Racers or Hot Shots Golf you'd expect to play at home, but being able to play games like this on the road is something entirely new for a lot of people.

Pokemon DS should cause a fair spike in DS sales towards the end of the year. The main problem I see with the DS is its too expensive for the audience Nintendo really wants (the "I can't play video games because they're too complicated!" crowd). The problem with this is $150 USD is *a lot* of money to ask for when you're trying to appeal to non-gamers or people who don't value gaming as much.

Monk

Banned
Sho Nuff said:
Come on. Meteos is a quirky puzzle game from a third party. I would be surprised if it sold over 100k.

There are a lot of factors to consider though. Yoshi's touch and go will be released one month before Metoes and by that time, sales would have burnt out. When it gets released to a month later there is nothing(unless you think pac pix can be considered real competition) for a month later. So metoes is going to have a free unrivaled month to sell itself.

The game iirc wifi with one cart to four players, this will be its word of mouth. And Sakurai ability to make a simple intuitive game will sell itself from there.

heidern

soundwave05 said:
Pokemon DS should cause a fair spike in DS sales towards the end of the year. The main problem I see with the DS is its too expensive for the audience Nintendo really wants (the "I can't play video games because they're too complicated!" crowd). The problem with this is $150 USD is *a lot* of money to ask for when you're trying to appeal to non-gamers or people who don't value gaming as much.

Well, they're doing ok so far having sold twice as many DSs as the competition. Even the current sales of around 50K a week are very strong. Not bad for a system that has gone almost two months without any new software. If DS sales drop off even further(say to 25K a week) despite new quality games, then there's a problem. If Sony actually cut into the DS lead significantly and consistently then there's a problem. As is, the psp is merely still selling on the launch hype and shortages, once the system hits the million mark, then you can see what kind of consistent selling power it has,

Jonnyram

If Nintendo doesn't meet their fiscal year targets, I think we're gonna see a price drop in summer. They'll probably drop the price of GBA to follow suit too. The DS is cheap enough, but compared to the PSP it is at the wrong price point.

Jonnyram said:
If Nintendo doesn't meet their fiscal year targets, I think we're gonna see a price drop in summer. They'll probably drop the price of GBA to follow suit too. The DS is cheap enough, but compared to the PSP it is at the wrong price point.

Well the thing Nintendo is actually revising their DS hardware totals upwards from 5 million to 6 million to be sold by the end of March.

Right now DS is hot, because Nintendo is the established market leader with Game Boy and they do have a loyal audience that will support them out of the gates.

It's the period between April 2004 and April 2005 I think that's going to be really interesting though.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:

Let's hope the development of Pokemon DS is going by smoothly. :D

Bebpo

Banned
Didn't read through the thread yet, but just on those PSP numbers:

PSPs are finally out there! I just got back from game store at lunch break to pick up the 1/27 stuff and they had like a full stock of PSP value packs. This is the first time I've ever seen them in stock since launch.

I think Sony's finally got their supply going in full force and even with Yoshi DS, I'd expect PSP hardware numbers to be even higher for next week :)

CVXFREAK said:
Let's hope the development of Pokemon DS is going by smoothly. :D

How hard is it to make those games though really?

They already have the Game Boy Advance engine which they could beef up, and if they want to use the second screen to show your Pokemon in 3D, they already have all the Pokemon modelled in 3D from the N64 Stadium games.

I think they'll add some stuff like voice recoginition (like being able to call your Pokemon by name) though.

Izzy

Banned
Mrbob said:
Oi, oi, oi, oi, oi, oi, oi, oi, oi, oi, oi, oi, oi, oi, oi

See me ride out of the sunset
On your colour tv screen
Out for all that i can get
If you know what i mean
Women to the left of me
And women to the right
Ain't got no gun
Ain't got no knife
But don't you start no fight

Chorus:
'cause i'm PSP, i'm dynamite
PSP and i'll win the fight
PSP i'm a power load
PSP watch me explode

I'm dirty, mean and mighty unclean
I'm a wanted man
Public enemy number one
Understand
So lock up your daughter
Lock up your wife
Lock up your back door
And run for your life
The man is back in town
Don't you mess me 'round

PSP oi, oi, oi
PSP oi, oi, oi
PSP oi, oi, oi
PSP oi, oi, oi
PSP oi
I'm dynamite (oi, oi)
PSP oi,
And i'll win the fight,
PSP
I'm a power load
PSP
Watch me explode!

:lol @ AC/DC reference

jiggle

soundwave05 said:
I think they'll add some stuff like voice recoginition (like being able to call your Pokemon by name) though.

*imagines ppl yelling out pokemon names on a train*

:lol :lol :lol

that would be so fucking awesome.

I'm not a Pokemon expert, but isn't that one of the popular catchets of the TV show?

That the character Ash calls his Pokemon by name ("I choose you Pikachu").

That might be a shortcut for getting the Pokemon character you want, instead of having to scroll through the menu, you could just call their name out.

Fularu

Banned
Bebpo said:

PSPs are finally out there! I just got back from game store at lunch break to pick up the 1/27 stuff and they had like a full stock of PSP value packs. This is the first time I've ever seen them in stock since launch.

I think Sony's finally got their supply going in full force and even with Yoshi DS, I'd expect PSP hardware numbers to be even higher for next week :)

If your last week offer is still valid, I'd love a value pack :p

Jonnyram

Bebpo said:
I think you were just lucky enough to catch the shop on the day of shipments. It's happened to me a couple of times. All online stores are still working on a pre-order basis with strict limits, including playstation.jp.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Seems a fair comment about software for the DS and PSP that others have pointed out - where is it after the next couple of months?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Sho Nuff said:
NO NO NO NO NO NO FOR GOD'S SAKE IT'S NOT, YOU CANNOT BUY THE GODDAM THINGS ANYWHERE! IF YOU CAN, TELL ME WHERE, COZ IT'S EBAY TIME!
Actually I saw a bunch of them (both DS and PSP) in Seoul stores this Sunday :)
I am betting that import shops are leeching off like 30% of the total shipments :D (no no no no I'm not betting against a ban)

GDGF

Soothsayer
JackFrost2012 said:
N-BOTS ... BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH!

That's just a little extra funny to me, because that happens to be my birthday :)

Anyway, a bet is a bet, and I am a man of my word. One week ban, here I come.

Endymion

Hmm, looking ahead of time, I think PSP will constantly surpass DS in sales by the end of the year. DS had the advantage of GBA backward compatibility, which gives it a huge boost to all GBA gamers. But maybe, its not conquering new gamers the way PSP is doing and probably will do in the future, and its somewhat overpriced when compared to PSP. When PSP will get it's share of Wipeout, Squenix RPGs, Winning Eleven and GT, Madden not to mention all the kind of love/dating games that appeal to the japanese, the battle could very well turn in Sony's favour permanently. Anyway, as someone said, it all comes down to third party support. Sales of third party software are to be watched closely...

Broshnat

Banned
Endymion said:
Hmm, looking ahead of time, I think PSP will constantly surpass DS in sales by the end of the year. DS had the advantage of GBA backward compatibility, which gives it a huge boost to all GBA gamers. But maybe, its not conquering new gamers the way PSP is doing and probably will do in the future, and its somewhat overpriced when compared to PSP. When PSP will get it's share of Wipeout, Squenix RPGs, Winning Eleven and GT, Madden not to mention all the kind of love/dating games that appeal to the japanese, the battle could very well turn in Sony's favour permanently.

Hmmm... that's rather a vague statement. It's hard to really say what'll happen in 18 months time or whatever.

Over the next 11 months or so though, I expect DS to build up a fair lead on PSP- the advantage of launching 3-4 months earlier in the US alone will be a large factor.

And worlwide, GBA will outsell both this year.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
PSP software sales are doing pretty good. The top sellers (Minna no golf, Ridge Racers, Dynasty Warriors) are doing about 30% of the installed base, which is on par with the DS' top sellers (Sawaru made in Wario, Mario 64)

SantaC

Bebpo said:

maybe you should tell sho nuff.

jarrod

Banned
Miburou said:
I think the funniest thing is the people who kept insisting that the PSP vs DS war doesn't matter because the GBA SP will outsell them both combined.
Can't speak for everyone, but I was talking worldwide with that. Japan usually sees rather immediate dropoff, same thing happened with PSone in Japan, while in other regions it continually outsold PS2/GC/Xbox their first year. Expect the same for GBASP, North American sales mainly plus new markets like China and South America will ensure it moves more units than any other handheld in 2005.

Broshnat

Banned
jarrod said:
Can't speak for everyone, but I was talking worldwide with that. Japan usually sees rather immediate dropoff, same thing happened with PSone in Japan, while in other regions it continually outsold PS2/GC/Xbox their first year. Expect the same for GBASP, North American sales mainly plus new markets like China and South America will ensure it moves more units than any other handheld in 2005.

Agreed. It'll probably ship another 6-7m in the US alone.

jarrod said:

I think one thing people are missing is the difference in introductionary price. Don't know the American price but in the UK it was a sub-100 quid PSOne (I think the RRP was 80) vs. a 300 PS2.

With the DS, the impression that I'm getting is that Nintendo aren't particularly pushing to point out that it's B/C with the GBA. DS is $150 right? What's the GBA price at the moment. In the UK I'm guessing a 120 for a DS, against an 80 for the GBA (is it still 80 I haven't bought a GBA in a while). If word of mouth about GBA B/C spreads and /or a price cut happens I can see the GBA also trailing off very suddenly in the US as well. I think the holiday sales & the new and unknown-ness of NDS helped to give the GBA a boost it might overwise not have had.

And that's just with the DS. Throw the PSP in there as well, especially if Sony are aggressive on pricing and I don't think the GBA will hold ground against the new handheld generation as well as the PSOne managed to.

Broshnat

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
I think one thing people are missing is the difference in introductionary price. Don't know the American price but in the UK it was a sub-100 quid PSOne (I think the RRP was 80) vs. a 300 PS2.

With the DS, the impression that I'm getting is that Nintendo aren't particularly pushing to point out that it's B/C with the GBA. DS is $150 right? What's the GBA price at the moment. In the UK I'm guessing a 120 for a DS, against an 80 for the GBA (is it still 80 I haven't bought a GBA in a while). If word of mouth about GBA B/C spreads and /or a price cut happens I can see the GBA also trailing off very suddenly in the US as well. I think the holiday sales & the new and unknown-ness of NDS helped to give the GBA a boost it might overwise not have had.

And that's just with the DS. Throw the PSP in there as well, especially if Sony are aggressive on pricing and I don't think the GBA will hold ground against the new handheld generation as well as the PSOne managed to.

Some fair points, but GBA still managed to sell (oct-dec 2004):

0.93m Japan (compared with 0.94m same period last year)
4.21m USA (cw 4.13 m)
2.48m PAL (cw 2.20m)

So hardly a big dropoff, 2.3m in Dec in the US alone according to NPD.

Also, compares well with PS2:

Oct-Dec '04
Japan 1.58m
USA 2.63m
PAL 3.18m

heidern

There's also nothing stopping Nintendo cutting the price of the GBA further if they have to. Its not like the sales are at GC levels either, with the usual Christmas boost its on course to sell 2M this year anyway, so hardly a dead system. Maybe it is doomed, but its still a little early to call really. I think it just comes down to how well Nintendo market the GBA, it should still sell very well for the next year or two.

Broshnat said:
Some fair points, but GBA still managed to sell (oct-dec 2004):

0.93m Japan (compared with 0.94m same period last year)
4.21m USA (cw 4.13 m)
2.48m PAL (cw 2.20m)

So hardly a big dropoff, 2.3m in Dec in the US alone according to NPD.

Fair enough, but I'm saying that if it hadn't been the holidays then GBA would probably have suffered more. And in Europe GBA was the only thing out there at all. NDS was still so fresh and new that people weren't sure what it was and as it takes hold & the reality of the amount of development that's been shifted to it becomes more apparant on the shop shelf, then as a B/C unit, not hugely more expensive, it'll effectively make the GBA redundant.

It'll only become more pronounced once the PSP joins the fray. I don't think US sales will drop off as rapidly as JPN, but I expect GBA sales to be significantly down on this year.

Pimpwerx

Broshnat said:
Hmmm... that's rather a vague statement. It's hard to really say what'll happen in 18 months time or whatever.

Over the next 11 months or so though, I expect DS to build up a fair lead on PSP- the advantage of launching 3-4 months earlier in the US alone will be a large factor.

And worlwide, GBA will outsell both this year.
How will the GBA outsell the PSP when (a) Sony is gonna try to sell close to 15M by New Year's, and probably close to 20M for the fiscal year, and (b) the GBA is already dead in Japan. So the PSP will be selling great in 3 territories, and the GBA will have to hope its sales don't get cannibalized in the US and EU. So in two territories, the GBA is gonna gain back ground on the PSP? And what would that do for the DS?

One of those Nintendo handhelds is gonna bite the bullet. If you don't think so, you're naive. They won't have two systems selling 15M units in a year. One of them will fade like the disco culture. I'm betting on the GBA being the victim here. I think you'll be suprised how quickly its sales drop off, especially in Europe. Past trends be damned. The past trends didn't involve a competitor of Sony's caliber. The PS1 kept momentum b/c Sony played their cars right. They didn't have another PS1-esque unit there to cannibalize sales. OTOH, Nintendo does, and I'll eat my hat if they manage to sell both of them against the PSP.

It's pointless to make silly bets, but the PSP will outsell the GBA by the end of the year. I think that's a no-brainer now with the GBA all but stalled out in Japan. People think PSP sales will level out? Why? Weren't the PS2 and GBA selling over 100k per week on a regular basis in their prime? Even after launch, they'd still sell that many during big software weeks. I don't think PSP sales have peaked yet. I think we'll see them level out at 80k+ for a number of weeks. Again, gotta consider the number of units Sony expects to move, and they've got the software schedule to keep that momentum going. PEACE.

Broshnat

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
How will the GBA outsell the PSP when (a) Sony is gonna try to sell close to 15M by New Year's, and probably close to 20M for the fiscal year, and (b) the GBA is already dead in Japan. So the PSP will be selling great in 3 territories, and the GBA will have to hope its sales don't get cannibalized in the US and EU. So in two territories, the GBA is gonna gain back ground on the PSP? And what would that do for the DS?

One of those Nintendo handhelds is gonna bite the bullet. If you don't think so, you're naive. They won't have two systems selling 15M units in a year. One of them will fade like the disco culture. I'm betting on the GBA being the victim here. I think you'll be suprised how quickly its sales drop off, especially in Europe. Past trends be damned. The past trends didn't involve a competitor of Sony's caliber. The PS1 kept momentum b/c Sony played their cars right. They didn't have another PS1-esque unit there to cannibalize sales. OTOH, Nintendo does, and I'll eat my hat if they manage to sell both of them against the PSP.

It's pointless to make silly bets, but the PSP will outsell the GBA by the end of the year. I think that's a no-brainer now with the GBA all but stalled out in Japan. People think PSP sales will level out? Why? Weren't the PS2 and GBA selling over 100k per week on a regular basis in their prime? Even after launch, they'd still sell that many during big software weeks. I don't think PSP sales have peaked yet. I think we'll see them level out at 80k+ for a number of weeks. Again, gotta consider the number of units Sony expects to move, and they've got the software schedule to keep that momentum going. PEACE.

GBA isn't dead in Japan yet. It still did some good numbers over xmas. It should do another 1.5 million this year in Japan alone.

And how will PSP do 15million?? Please.

GBA only did 16m last year with no shortages, lots of momentum, and strong SP sales to boost the situation.

As we have bet, PSP will have to aim for around 10m by Dec 2005.

Top Bottom