• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enterbrain Weekly (31st Jan - 5th Feb)

Jonnyram

Ignatz Mouse said:
I think the damage control lies in asserting that Ds is still "ahead" when it's been on the market a longer.
But not so many people care that the DS sold more in 8 weeks than the PS2.

Laguna said:
The PSP software sales are dissapointing as ususal. Even that the PSP managed to outsell the DS three times in a row none of the PSP games managed to outsell Sawaru or Mario in a simple week.

You do know that a big load of PSPs right now goes to China and other countries and these PSPs aren't bought for games.

jarrod

Banned
DarienA said:
Is this true? I thought the last thread on this topic showed that RE numbers were already taking a dive on the PS2....
It's dive started on PSone, then it plummeted on Dreamcast, then stablizied on PS2/GC. Par for the course really considering how RE was mired in formula, same thing happened with Street Fighter in the 32bit generation. Arguing RE's drop was only due to moving away from the PlayStation fanbase makes about as much sense as claiming Street Fighter similarly dropped only due to moving away from the Nintendo fanbase.

ypo said:
Don't worry the gap will be closed next week, if not then the week after or whenever that magically selling game appears!!!
Er, which gap? The PSP weekly 15-20k lead over DS or the DS 850k total lead over PSP?

duckroll

Jonnyram said:
But not so many people care that the DS sold more in 8 weeks than the PS2.

Nooooooooo! Jonny! Don't read the posts! They'll drive you mad eventually! Just check the sales numbers, nod, and enjoy the photoshops. :lol

Diffense

Ignatz:

I think the damage control lies in asserting that Ds is still "ahead" when it's been on the market a longer.

Err...I think your post is the damage control.

Tell me, what factor of DS sales should be thrown out because it dared to launch earlier with more units and forced people at gunpoint to buy it. What factor of PS2 sales should be discarded in comparison with other consoles because it launched first?

I'm sorry but this is past idiotic.

DCharlie

Banned
The DS was launched 10 days (?) before the PSP... even if the DS dropped to zero sales a week for four weeks , at the current rate sony STILL wouldn't catch up so i don't see how you can say the fact that the DS is ahead is down to the extra week and a bit they've had.

Sony are still promising 1 million units a month, with "800k units sold" (as of Jan 21st) which is basically absolute bullshit. If they had lauched with 1 million units, they would have sold them all... but they didn't (not Nintendo's problem) because Kutaragi wanted to balance risk with inventory (does *anyone* actually believe that???)

Guns N' Poops said:
You do know that a big load of PSPs right now goes to China and other countries and these PSPs aren't bought for games.

What are they bought for? Why didn't they get games? What makes the Chinese (and other) consumers so different from the Japanese in terms of what they intend to use their PSP for?

DCharlie

Banned
"You do know that a big load of PSPs right now goes to China and other countries and these PSPs aren't bought for games."

These are bought from stores , not direct, so STILL show up as sales.

It might damage software sales, but then how many units a month do you think are going to China?

bud

The PSP will outsell the NDS.

I think that the PSP will be outselling the NDS by july/august.

SantaC

jarrod said:
Yep, looks like Bio4 is going to bottom out around 200k. Capcom really should've just waited until March before announcing the PS2 port, they've practically sabatoged the GC release. Bad idea for a game on an already struggling console.... I wouldn't be surprised if US sales also turn out to be much lower than many are expecting. :/

You hit the nail on the head.

DCharlie

Banned
Yep, looks like Bio4 is going to bottom out around 200k. Capcom really should've just waited until March before announcing the PS2 port, they've practically sabatoged the GC release. Bad idea for a game on an already struggling console.... I wouldn't be surprised if US sales also turn out to be much lower than many are expecting. :/

Capcom should have never left the PS2 in the first place (from a business point of view)

Although personally i'm glad they did because Bio4 on the GC is the best game ever. :)

duckroll

Yeah it really really sucks for Capcom at the moment. They made REmake and RE4 exactly what fans wanted. RE with awesome graphics, no loading, great gameplay, refreshing experience, mature titles for the GC, etc and they get slapped in the face for it. Sucks to be them. :(

Ignatz Mouse said:
Well, we could ignore the DS's first 1.5 weeks or so, which would put it at about 1 million total.

Bud said:
This mofo has some long legs!
This was said about Minna, but works for Mario and Sawaru too. Really not surprising. These systems have very limited libraries thus far, and it only makes sense that the tens of thousands of new owners will be concentrating upon the few really popular ones.

koam

Big GBA release (or so it seems) and people go off to buy gbas to play it instead of DSes. weird.

Jonnyram

He's added a few more numbers to the blog entry now:
22: Ridge Racers - 7400 (216,000)
24: Piposaru Academia - 6200 (76,000)
27: Mahjong Fight Club - 4800 (55,000)
29: Fafner - 4700 (17,000)
30: Rengoku - 4600 (16,000)

I'm glad the good games are outselling the shite new releases, at least. But where oh where is Lumines? /cry

duckroll

Jonnyram said:
I'm glad the good games are outselling the shite new releases, at least. But where oh where is Lumines? /cry

We haven't seen Lumines on the charts since release. >_<

Oh btw, how did Rez DC and PS2 do in Japan in comparison, do you know?

Diffense said:
Ignatz:

Err...I think your post is the damage control.

Tell me, what factor of DS sales should be thrown out because it dared to launch earlier with more units and forced people at gunpoint to buy it. What factor of PS2 sales should be discarded in comparison with other consoles because it launched first?

I'm sorry but this is past idiotic.

You don't have to throw out anything. PSP is outselling DS, and as far as I can tell, nobody asserted anything else. It was your defensive reference to the fact that DS was still "ahead" that set me off-- as if "ahead" means anything at all given the lifespnas of the systems. PSP hasn't even normalized from its launch furvor yet, not to mention being sold out. Who knows what the demand will be, once it settles down. DS may well outpace it. I don't think so, but it might, and I have no crystal ball.

But it sure is fun watching uptight folks who thought PSP was "d00med!1" scamble to explain away the fact that at least right now, PSP is outselling DS, by bringing up units already sold, or whatever. Darrien's comment was spot on.

Goodnight.

ge-man

duckroll said:
Yeah it really really sucks for Capcom at the moment. They made REmake and RE4 exactly what fans wanted. RE with awesome graphics, no loading, great gameplay, refreshing experience, mature titles for the GC, etc and they get slapped in the face for it. Sucks to be them. :(

I more disappointed for the team than the company. They got do things like they wanted to do and kicked out some great games this generation only to be welcomed with low sales. Hopefully things will be different at Clover.

jarrod

Banned
duckroll said:
Well, the previous fanbase was sated by Onimusha and Devil May Cry evidently. I dunno why Capcom expected a FF7 style en mass shift when they continued supplying similar filler content for the old base. It's not like Square dropped the FF7 bomb for PSone, then followed up with "but we still have Romancing SaGa 4 and Chronno Trigger 2 for you N64 folks".

ge-man said:
I more disappointed for the team than the company. They got do things like they wanted to do and kicked out some great games this generation only to be welcomed with low sales. Hopefully things will be different at Clover.
Production Studio 4's really suffered from their GC centric stance and have had by far the largest talent exodus as a result (albeit into Clover Studio). Not that PS2 has been a god send for the other divisions though, Studio 2's seen Onimusha crumble before their eyes, Studio 1's had bomb after bomb (Monster Hunter being a nice reversal though), Studio 3 doesn't seem to be doing anything worthwhile anyway (Dragon Quarter was a fluke) and Studio 6 closed down entirely thanks to their PS2 product. Still, I think Studio 4 would probably be in slightly better shape if they'd focused on PS2 intead of GameCube.

Diffense

JSlone

Well, we could ignore the DS's first 1.5 weeks or so, which would put it at about 1 million total.

Indeed.

IIRC, it sold <100k on the very week PSP launched.

I just think these threads need to be a bit more level headed.
After all, we have to endure them every week. :)

My semi-recent return to following game threads seems to have left me with an information deficit and a mistaken impression. I did not realize DS went on sale so late in Japan-- I thougt it launch significantly earlier than the DS is the US. My bad.

Anyway, still ridiculous damage control and still ridiculous to be making predictions based on the timeframe, and still :lol at all the folks who said the PSP would bomb.

Diffense

Ignatz...I'm sorry the word 'ahead' offended you.
It was not my intention.
The word 'ahead' was meant to express a simple numerical fact.
Maybe a mathematical equation would have been more diplomatic...

1582K - 750K = 832K

SantaC

I can't believe the bad BH4 numbers. RE0 did over 400K in japan, and it's much much worse. (the game)

Z

zylo

Unconfirmed Member
SantaCruZer said:
I can't believe the bad BH4 numbers. RE0 did over 400K in japan, and it's much much worse. (the game)

i guessing it's because they announced the PS2 port before releasing the GC one so a lot of people probably decided to wait for that version.

Diffense said:
Ignatz...I'm sorry the word 'ahead' offended you.
It was not my intention.
The word 'ahead' was meant to express a simple numerical fact.
Maybe a mathematical equation would have been more diplomatic...

1582K - 750K = 832K

Diffense-- see my post above. I was mistaken abotu DS launch timeframe.

Still, you led off the defensiveness by trying to diffuse a "celebration" when nobody had even made a comment yet. Jumped the gun a little there, sport.

Diffense

BTW, I have no problem with people pointing out that PSP is currently ahead in weekly sales becuase it's 100% TRUE. I'm just pointing out that the fanboy posts celebrating the 'failure' of the DS are extremely premature.

SantaC

zylo said:
i guessing it's because they announced the PS2 port before releasing the GC one so a lot of people probably decided to wait for that version.

yes I think capcom lost around 100-200K on that annoucement. If they waited until late february, it wouldn't done nay damage.

Yeah, but there weren't any (yes, I guess).

Just Darrien's sarcastic and funny dictum to begin arguing. I don't think the PSP Fanboys are even wanting to beat this horse anymore. Without the N-Bots to fuel the fire, I don't think there's any reason to.

Diffense

Ignatz, I'm not having a good time conversing with you because you seem quite 'unaware'.

No one had 'said anything' before I commented?

You are wrong...again.

duckroll

duckroll's Nintend00m Photoshop Series #3: Two guys, a bomba and a touchscreen game

iwata_w_bomba.jpg
reggie_w_bomba.jpg

Ignatz Mouse said:
Still, you led off the defensiveness by trying to diffuse a "celebration" when nobody had even made a comment yet. Jumped the gun a little there, sport.
Ehh, there were several of the usual worthless "popcorn" type posts, and Broshnat mocking over the subject.

Unrelatedly, something that slipped by me until now. Doesn't look like Mario Party Advance did nearly as well as the console versions. Another indication that the people who say different types of games are best for portable and console (like Pokémon and Mario Party respectively) are correct, or more due to stolen thunder from DS and PSP? Particularly DS's inability to do GBA multiplayer.

PSP : 71,000 (total 699k)
GBA SP : 22,000
NDS : 42,000 (total 1.547m)
These are last week's numbers correct? Hmm, PSP hit a drop I see, but I wonder how it'll be in MC's numbers. I thought this would happen after the past few day's daily numbers with Minna no Golf losing it's gain over either Sawaru or Mario 64, and also how the other PSP games weren't too close to the top 10 as they were a week ago. I doubt it, but I wonder if it's any indication of the PSP also hitting lower numbers each week. This won't be good for getting passed the DS total sales. But I also wonder if the DS will keeping follow its decline, it's getting quite close to those SP numbers.

Nice numbers for SRW though, I still need to get my hands on it. Gah, I've been so behind in games lately.

Diffense said:
Ignatz, I'm not having a good time conversing with you because you seem quite 'unaware'.

No one had 'said anything' before I commented?

You are wrong...again.

I suppose Sonycowboy... I guess I didn't find that tiresome celebration.

Diffense

Ignatz Mouse said:
I suppose Sonycowboy... I guess I didn't find that tiresome celebration.

I suppose Ignatz...we're looking at different threads. :-D

Anyway, it's not a big deal...we can end it here.

People still using the total sales of the DS as a crutch.

Nintendo products get bigger boost at holidays compared to Sony systems. Look at GCN compared to PS2, GCN gets a much better boost at gift giving time and subsequently bigger drop off after gift giving time. Expect same between DS and PSP.

PSP was limited release in Japan.

DS was release was full blown release.

Diffense said:
I suppose Ignatz...we're looking at different threads. :-D

Anyway, it's not a big deal...we can end it here.

Yeah, I mean if we're above arguing about the sales themselves, we can at least argue about the thread arguning about the sales! :lol at myself. I think I'm done being stupid now.

jarrod

Banned
KeithFranklin said:
PSP was limited release in Japan.

DS was release was full blown release.
Well, not entirely... DS was also supply restricted for it's first month or so on market. It'd be fairer to say PSP was a more limited release while DS was also a limited release and PSP's still being pushed by supply not meeting demand while DS is now out of it's launch cushion.

DER HERO OF SAVE THE WORLD IS NOT OF KNOWING LA BOMBA. IS TI A SPEAL OF MAGIC OF CASTERING BY THE WIZARDO?

I WILL GO UNDO TEH MONSTARS IN DER CAVE IN DW7 I MEAN 8 IT SOLD COPIES OF 9,800 :-( THIS MONTH

SantaC

Sho Nuff said:
From whence did you pull said number?

is it really unrealistic to say since RE0 did that "good"? It's like you pulling that there are no PSP's available in every damn thread.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
PSP: 51,000 (750k)
PS2: 49,000
NDS: 35,000 (1.582mil&#65289;
GBA SP: 20,000
NGC: 5,200
XBX: 300
GBA: 500

I cant wait until PSP passes NDS in sales and see this whole board explode.

The sales are not surprising though. I knew that it would only take a while for PSP to gather more sales. The Sony brand is too powerful.

It will be interesting to see how NDS does in the US. PSP will sell like crazy even with its pirce tag, its just so much more appealing.

Imk also concerned about GC sales. GC needs more sales if it wants to stay close to or catch up to Xbox. Ctching up looks like its getting harder and harder, so the sooner Zelda comes out the easier it will be.

Top Bottom