• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

espn's Jemel Hill calls Trump a white supremacist. White House wants her fired

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
U7KRQKZ.png

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/917701841466593280
Might be the best thing he could have done for her career.

What an idiot.

The president of the united states is beefing with sports reporters, athletes and threatening NK with nuclear war over twitter. If this isn't the darkest timeline I don't know what is. Making a total mockery of the office but it is what we get for allowing him to win. Craziest part is the first year of his term isn't over yet! Still 3 years and change of this mess to go. It would make me very happy if twitter suspended his account but that's a pipe dream.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Can this fat piece of shit just have a massive heart attack already? I’m so tired of this.

newjeruse

The worst part is that he can solve a lot of problems for himself by going to war. Want fans to unite against NFL players who don't stand for the anthem? War can make that happen.

Kusagari

It's a typical Trump play where the only one winning is himself.

ESPN is hilariously boxed in now because if they fire her, they're going to be attacked viciously with people saying they did it because of pressure from Trump. And if they don't fire her, Trump's fanbase will attack them just as viciously.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

ESPN is hilariously boxed in now because if they fire her, they're going to be attacked viciously with people saying they did it because of pressure from Trump. And if they don't fire her, Trump's fanbase will attack them just as viciously.

That's the whole reason ESPN has a don't talk politics policy in the first place.

That's the whole reason ESPN has a don't talk politics policy in the first place.

A policy that is not enforced at all because many of their people have slammed Trump before. The fact she called him a white supremacist is what initially irked them despite the fact that others have called him other names for months

Hell She didn't even do it on the show, unlike some of the other people I've seen attack Trump on ESPN.

Mike has been an abbreviated form of microphone since the early days of radio.
From the first google hit for "mike microphone"...
Both mike and mic commonly appear as shortened forms of microphone, but mike is the accepted spelling in most dictionaries. Mic presents difficulties because it looks like it should be pronounced mick and because it produces the problematic participles miced and micing. Miked and miking work better. Of course, however the word is spelled, it is a verb mainly in the phrase mic/mike up, meaning to put a mic on someone or something.

Kusagari

Both are correct. Mike is the older term, mic has taken over in the 25-30 years.

Yeah, and it makes sense Trump would use mike instead. He regularly throws around words that have fell out of use in the last 20-30 years. It's like he's stuck in the 70s.

Yeah, and it makes sense Trump would use mike instead. He regularly throws around words that have fell out of use in the last 20-30 years. It's like he's stuck in the 70s.
This is the biggest "look at this bitch eating crackers" thing ever seen on NeoGAF. Good Lord, there's so much to criticize, we don't need to look like clowns going after totally innocuous and correct grammar.

cwmartin

Whats the best course of action here? I intentionally didn't tune into ESPN last night but is there a better way? Avoiding Coors Light and Applebees is the same as breathing air to me.

RPGCrazied

Whats the best course of action here? I intentionally didn't tune into ESPN last night but is there a better way? Avoiding Coors Light and Applebees is the same as breathing air to me.

Don't watch Cowboy games. And yeah, should not give your money to advertisers for them.

Late Flag

So espn is going to let the president just attack one of its employees?

The issue isn't that the president attacked her. The problem is that Hill suggested that maybe people should boycott the NFL's advertisers. That was apparently a step too far for ESPN. And of course it confirms that ESPN is mainly just a marketing company, not a journalism enterprise. Any genuine media outlet should be standing up for its reporter here.

Kusagari

This is the biggest "look at this bitch eating crackers" thing ever seen on NeoGAF. Good Lord, there's so much to criticize, we don't need to look like clowns going after totally innocuous and correct grammar.

Which is why I brought it up. Like, of all the things to go "good lord" at Trump about, using an accepted AP abbreviation for microphone is not one of them.

ESPN is all about their partners, especially the NFL. Nobody should be surprised by this after they axed bill Simmons for the same thing.

Draxal

Jemele is also big winner out of this, she had a fair share of critics before(before calling Trump the white supremacist stuff), but she's getting much more support now.

You can't fire Jemele now, the backlash would be too big.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Politics aside, the six is absolutely an abhorrent show that hopefully never comes back. Women in her 40s trying to act all young and hip is the most cringe worthy shit ever.

Please Please give the spot to Katie Nolan. She's exactly what you're looking for espn.

OR how about she was a kid in the 80s that listened to hip-hop and is apart of the culture and that's naturally how she truly is.

Ever think of that? Or are you cool being a sexist pig?

cdyhybrid

ESPN is getting played by trying to bend over backwards to satisfy a demographic that will never be satisfied until they become Caste Football.

The only way to win for them was to not play. Instead they buckled and refused to stick up for their own.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
OR how about she was a kid in the 80s that listened to hip-hop and is apart of the culture and that's naturally how she truly is.

Ever think of that? Or are you cool being a sexist pig?

..he literally suggested Katie Nolan as her replacement. Do...do you actually read what people are posting or is that an auto fill outrage response?

As for Jemele - this might actually help the Six's ratings. This entire concept of corporations punishing employees for their comments / views outside of the workplace is...ugh. I hate it. It will not work out for marginalized voices in any meaningful way. :(

Top Bottom