• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

espn's Jemel Hill calls Trump a white supremacist. White House wants her fired

Mahonay

Banned
This. ESPN has been very loyal to her and she isn’t exactly returning the favor - she has free speech but their are consequences for that free speech especially if you talk against your employer and who is driving their business/profit (and your employment).
Lol.

Loyalty huh

CDV13

This whole "you don't have to give a damn about anything but profit if you're a corporation" mindset is part of the problem. Expect more from them as a customer. They might actually give it to you.

I don't expect anything from ESPN, it is a shit channel. I watch it when they have Cavs games only on their channel. That's about it.

My point was that you mentioned they did nothing when Trump said something, but cared when Jemel did. I was just pointing out why they cared now.

^^ Like someone posted above, they pulled this shit with Simmons too. This is what they do.

ESPN has always been a garbage network and organization. Read up on Dan Patrick's history with them.

This, sadly, is not shocking. Hopefully Hill can leave and find a place that respects her views and gives her the proper platform.

It’s a sports take though. Why do they hire her to give opinions if she’s gonna get in trouble for giving an opinion. Would she have been suspended for saying that on her show? Tbh if Max said something similar on First Take would anyone even notice?

If she ran down a list of Cowboys sponsors, one of which is Coors who sponsors ESPN's Cold Hard Facts segments, and told viewers to stop buying their products then yeah they probably would suspend her.

Mudcrab

LeBatard and Bomani are going to amazing tomorrow. Both will probably suspended and/or fired by the end of the day too.

cdyhybrid

That's not how the capitalism I know works...
Yes, that's the point.

I don't expect anything from ESPN, it is a shit channel. I watch it when they have Cavs games only on their channel. That's about it.

My point was that you mentioned they did nothing when Trump said something, but cared when Jemel did. I was just pointing out why they cared now.

^^ Like someone posted above, they pulled this shit with Simmons too. This is what they do.
I'm aware. I'm wondering why people just shrug their shoulders like it's an inherent truth in the world that it's okay and that there's nothing we can do about it.

Slacker

This guy sums it up nicely (my bolding):

ESPN Hasn't Yet Realized That It Needs Jemele Hill More Than Jemele Hill Needs It

Jemele Hill is perhaps, after her truth-telling tweets about President Trump last month, the most famous sports-media personality in the country—a status which combines with her talent and her blackness to place her in a unique position to articulate exactly what's wrong with what Jerry Jones is doing and exactly how to combat it. ESPN, Hill's employer, is in the unique position of possessing an opportunity to circle their wagons around this star. Which would undoubtedly lose them customers and money today but would place them on the right side of history. Which is where Jemele Hill will be.

Instead, they chose to suspend her—a craven and transparent attempt to appease a base that will never, ever, ever, ever, ever be satisfied unless all black athletes and media personalities either become mutes or Jason Whitlock.

Mahonay

Banned
Yeah, it’s called still having a job. Try doing what she did at your job - let’s find out if you still have a job after.
Y'all blacks better not get uppity about our blatantly racist president if you like your jobs!

giga

Yeah, it's called still having a job. Try doing what she did at your job - let's find out if you still have a job after.

Shit, should civil rights protestors have made the same considerations in the 60s too? Your job is more important than the livelihood of your people, yeah?

Be on the right side of history.

gamerMan

Yeah, it's called still having a job. Try doing what she did at your job - let's find out if you still have a job after.

I'm pretty sure she knew that she would be risking her job. ESPN probably didn't fire because of the risk of the fallout, but I don't think it will matter. Sometimes there are things that are more important than your job. She is going to be on the right side of history. Hopefully, some the NFL players take a real stand against this systematic oppression next week. The entire Cowboys team needs to be courageous like her and kneel.

ESPN and the NFL (and Jerry Jones is one of the most powerful NFL owners) are in bed together. They are no longer interested in being a news/journalist outlet. They just want a bunch of talking heads that are going to give a bunch of shitty, shallow hot takes while shilling for their partners.

Which is why Bill Simmons was suspended for daring to speak poorly of Goodell

hbkdx12

There's no loyalty here. Racial tensions (particularly as they pertain to the NFL/anthem/kneeling) is at an all time high.

I have zero doubt that they would fire her but firing her with the climate being what it is, would be a disaster.

What they're doing is what most everyday HR companies do which is called creating a paper trail. You keep track of all the infractions and offenses so that when they do fire her they have something to point to to be like "see, she had all these warnings and we didn't get rid of her until she did xyz" to justify why you'd otherwise want to get rid of that person in the first place

Just read their statements (including the original one where she talked about trump) and notice how they talk down on her like she's some kind of fucking child, it's ridiculous.

IrishNinja

She listed the Cowboys sponsors and told people to boycott them. Maybe she should have listened to her boss when they asked her not to post stuff like this the first time.

I'm pretty sure she knew what the risks were and put her beliefs over business.

Or maybe you could do 30 seconds of research to see what she actually said instead of *coughcough* but hey.

Shoulda lissent to yer mastuhs, girl

^exaccctly
some of y'all will be defending this right up to the end though, no doubt

Gonna put this out there too, DON'T READ THE REPLIES.

this will forever be true

Le Batard isn't a black woman

important contextual key here, yeah

This. ESPN has been very loyal to her

You can't operate a for profit enterprise on justice alone.

I almost sorta kinda feel for the NFL.

Shit, should civil rights protestors have made the same considerations in the 60s too? Your job is more important than the livelihood of your people, yeah?

^ white supremacy is a motherfucker

BriGuy

I wish I watched ESPN so I could stop watching ESPN.

I know this kind of bullshit and these double standards have existed forever, but I've never seen them so pronounced in my lifetime.

This. ESPN has been very loyal to her and she isn't exactly returning the favor - she has free speech but their are consequences for that free speech especially if you talk against your employer and who is driving their business/profit (and your employment).

ESPN tried to replace her for stating facts and calling Trump a racist. When they couldn't 't find fellow black ESPN employees to replace her they decided it would be a bad look to replace her with a white person. How in the fuck do you even begin to classify this is "very loyal"?

I mean .... what a tone def post.

Placing the onus on Businesses for social responsibility? Good luck with that. Talk about ridcoulous expectations.

I have a feeling you've hypocritically suggested the free market pressures would do this work. I would love to be proved wrong though.

I call trump a racist all the time on social media and still have a job. What's your point?

Yeah, it’s called still having a job. Try doing what she did at your job - let’s find out if you still have a job after.

This is always the dumbest and laziest position to take, as if all employees are treated equally or held to the same standard

NYR

60s protesters were not using their platform given to them by said company to talk shit about how that company made money. She is.

And is there anything more lame and dismissive to say that when you disagree with someone that they are on the wrong side of history? Give me a break, Not everyone who doesn’t support Hill is racist.

This is always the dumbest and laziest position to take, as if all employees are treated equally or held to the same standard
No, the laziest and dumbest position to take is to reply with one sentence and just dismiss someone’s opinon as dumb and lazy.

_Ryo_

DLuBiRqWkAEMYNz.jpg

https://twitter.com/espnpr/status/917469637033512960

I hope this decision loses you all a fuck ton of subscribers and money, yall facist enabling cunts.

Fuck ESPN.

jwhit28

60s protesters were not using their platform given to them by said company to talk shit about how that company made money. She is.

And is there anything more lame and dismissive to say that when you disagree with someone that they are on the wrong side of history? Give me a break, Not everyone who doesn’t support Hill is racist.

ESPN gave her twitter? Is that a 5th year bonus or something?

giga

She's using her personal twitter account. She may represent ESPN as an employee but Twitter is the platform here.

And when the fuck did I call you a racist? I am calling you privileged and ignorant though for saying ESPN is loyal for what they've done and not seeing the value in one of their employees speaking the truth.

Everyone blindly allowing white supremacy to continue in the name of protecting a corporation(s) is.

Also, Jemele doesn't work for the Cowboys. She works for ESPN. As a sports reporter. And she did this on twitter, not on the air. If she can't report on a sports team, what is the point of her job? And should she not be allowed to, in her own free time, suggest forms of protest people can take against an organization that she doesn't work for?

NYR

ESPN gave her twitter? Is that a 5th year bonus or something?
ESPN gave her celebrity, attention and a platform. It’s why you and I likely have 40 followers and she has 750k. It’s called logic, look into it.

She's using her personal twitter account. She may represent ESPN as an employee but Twitter is the platform here.
Literally says ESPN in her bio and plugs her show on ESPN. It’s not a Personal account - She is on there to promote her brand, not take selfies and pictures of her dinner and share it with her friends.

Kill3r7

You can do or say just about anything you want but if you bad mouth the golden goose (NFL) ESPN will show you the door. Case in point Bill Simmons.

Infinite

I wish I watched ESPN so I could stop watching ESPN.

I know this kind of bullshit and these double standards have existed forever, but I've never seen them so pronounced in my lifetime.
I was there with you but I stopped watching and I don't even miss it.

IrishNinja

ESPN gave her celebrity, attention and a platform. It’s why you have likely have 40 followers and she has 750k. It’s called logic, look into it.

nothing like coupling your weak defense of white supremacy with needless condescension too, well done guy

Enzom21

No, the laziest and dumbest position to take is to reply with one sentence and just dismiss someone’s opinon as dumb and lazy.

Nah, the smartest thing folks can do here is immediately dismiss any and all of your nonsense, especially when it comes to anything having to do with race/racism.

No, the laziest and dumbest position to take is to reply with one sentence and just dismiss someone's opinon as dumb and lazy.

Your opinion was simplistic an naive, so it got the response it deserved. Besides, your said "opinion" was one sentence itself, so I have no idea why you are bringing length into the discussion as if "try doing that at your job" is some pearl of wisdom that needs to be dissected.

Top Bottom