• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

espn's Jemel Hill calls Trump a white supremacist. White House wants her fired

jwhit28

ESPN gave her celebrity, attention and a platform. It's why you have likely have 40 followers and she has 750k. It's called logic, look into it.

She covered sports and the olympics for multiple outlets before ESPN. And it's funny how ESPN is only afraid to piss off its advertisers on this subject. They have no problem with ripping boxing and the NCAA for corruption, blasting Nike and Adidas for the role they played in the biggest scandal in college sports for the last few weeks. She wasn't talking about some random Fortune 500 CEO, she was discussing the remarks of the owner of the most valuable franchise in the most popular sport ON HER PERSONAL TWITTER.

giga

ESPN gave her celebrity, attention and a platform. It's why you have likely have 40 followers and she has 750k. It's called logic, look into it.

What argument are you even trying to make here? Jemele's speech, while free, isn't free from consequences. Yes, we know how the first amendment works and what it does and doesn't protect. So ESPN can fire her or suspend her, sure. But why aren't you angry at that? When we say "Fuck ESPN" we're angry that ESPN is punishing a sister pushing the truth to the world. And instead, you're saying she should be grateful for their loyalty to her? Why? Do you not agree with Jemele? Would you rather her be censored?

Mahonay

Banned
ESPN gave her celebrity, attention and a platform. It’s why you and I likely have 40 followers and she has 750k. It’s called logic, look into it.
watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

krazen

LOL. What's great is that your posts perfectly align with what I had to deal with as a Nyer from Rangers fans...sometimes overt, sometimes sub.

The thing is that she's mandated to be on social media by ESPN and sprout of opinion and I guarantee they want her to be 'political' but not political enough. You act as if ESPN is the glorious god that swooped down from the heavens to pick her up as opposed to being a newscaster with years of experience.

For a organization that considers itself sports news in general ESPN has had an issue with basically being in the pocket of the NFL While its within their rights, lets not as if Hill is some gonzo protestor throwing molotov cocktails. All she said was if you disagree with Jones, boycott. ESPN is less mad about her politics, more mad at having the owners mad at them which is a sad place to be for a supposedly impartial news org. And the sad thing is thanks to their parent company they have more 'fuck you' money than God anyway, so its really cowardice thats driving all of this

DogDude

Politics aside, the six is absolutely an abhorrent show that hopefully never comes back. Women in her 40s trying to act all young and hip is the most cringe worthy shit ever.

Please Please give the spot to Katie Nolan. She's exactly what you're looking for espn.

Derwind

Today I learned, talent & hard-work has nothing to do with cultivating your audience and ESPN totally doesn't profit off of that, you should all be grateful!

IrishNinja

She covered sports and the olympics for multiple outlets before ESPN. And it's funny how ESPN is only afraid to piss off it's advertisers on this subject. They have no problem with ripping boxing and the NCAA for corruption, blasting Nike and Adidas for the role they played in the biggest scandal in college sports for the last few weeks. She wasn't talking about so random Fortune 500 CEO, she was discussing the remarks of the owner of the most valuable franchise in the most popular sport ON HER PERSONAL TWITTER.

#factsonly

What argument are you even trying to make here?

a lazy & dumb one, about an accomplished black woman that he believes owes everything to ESPN & should fall in line during times of protest

JABEE

She listed the Cowboys sponsors and told people to boycott them. Maybe she should have listened to her boss when they asked her not to post stuff like this the first time.

How about no.

She's paid for her opinions on sports.

Jerry Jones is an asshole who is threatening players who stand up for the rights of black people in this country.

ESPN should be on the right side of history.

JABEE

ESPN and the NFL (and Jerry Jones is one of the most powerful NFL owners) are in bed together. They are no longer interested in being a news/journalist outlet. They just want a bunch of talking heads that are going to give a bunch of shitty, shallow hot takes while shilling for their partners.

Seriously. ESPN should be ashamed of itself.

RS4-

How about no.

Jerry Jones is an asshole who is threatening players who stand up for the rights of black people in this country.

ESPN, instead, is on the white side of history.

TalonJH

This stuff sounds like the commentary you would expect on a show that pays you to cover a subject and talk about opinions. Nothing really even inflammatory. It's pretty sad that ESPN would try to silence her for telling the truth and providing commentary(which is her job). I guess it wasn't the"correct" commentary they wanted to hear.

Malvingt2

@JonHeyman
anyone surprised by espn treatment of jemele hill should wake up. the guys in charge who sank them w/awful rights deals fired 100 great pros

tbm24

ESPN gave her celebrity, attention and a platform. It’s why you and I likely have 40 followers and she has 750k. It’s called logic, look into it.

Literally says ESPN in her bio and plugs her show on ESPN. It’s not a Personal account - She is on there to promote her brand, not take selfies and pictures of her dinner and share it with her friends.
She can state what she does for a living on her personal Twitter. It’s for doing whatever the fuck the she wants to do. Until you show me her tweets where she says fuck ESPN, she shouldn’t be reprimanded for it.

She can state what she does for a living on her personal Twitter. It's for doing whatever the fuck the she wants to do. Until you show me her tweets where she says fuck ESPN, she shouldn't be reprimanded for it.
Guy tweets this to Jemele
Here's a few:
AT&T
Bank of America
Dr Pepper Snapple Group
Ford Motor
MillerCoors
PepsiCo

Jemele responds with
This play always work. Change happens when advertisers are impacted. If you feel strongly about JJ's statement, boycott his advertisers.

Mike-Mike.jpg

coors-lightchf-awardsubmission-7-638.jpg

SC1.jpg

+ the countless TV ads all those companies run

That'll get you suspended from work every time.

Madness

How about no.

Jerry Jones is perhaps the most powerful owner in sports right now. Jamele would be fired if ESPN just couldn't risk the bad press. He is to the NFL what Steinbrenner was to MLB. He is a megalomaniac and one of the most draconian owners in sports.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I'd say something about white supremacy here, but shit, they basically lost Bill Simmons (their biggest star by miles) after suspending him for shit-talking Goodell. ESPN is basically going up or down with the NFL ship, one way or another.

Money talks, I guess.

jwhit28

I'd say something about white supremacy here, but shit, they basically lost Bill Simmons (their biggest star by miles) after suspending him for shit-talking Goodell. ESPN is basically going up or down with the NFL ship, one way or another.

Money talks, I guess.

They have no problem attacking the NFL when it's easy. They dedicated whole Sports Center segments to Hannah Storm being ashamed of watching the NFL after the Ray Rice incident. They even let her interview Ray Rice about the Greg Hardy incident on air. That player Jerry Jones thought was worth giving a 2nd chance because the girl he beat took the hush money and ran.

They just don't see bringing attention to police brutality as a worthwhile cause.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
They have no problem attacking the NFL when it's easy. They dedicated whole Sports Center segments to Hannah Storm being ashamed of watching the NFL after the Ray Rice incident. They even let her interview Ray Rice about the Greg Hardy incident on air. That player Jerry Jones thought was worth giving a 2nd chance because the girl he beat took the hush money and ran.

They just don't see bringing attention to police brutality as a worthwhile cause.

Except Simmons' suspension (which was to, frankly, a far bigger star, and a rich white dude) had nothing to do with police brutality. Based on those examples, the more accurate take would be "they'll attack the NFL on domestic violence and nothing else". That would be the Venn diagram that fits most of the cases (backing down on Goodell, concussions, boycotting advertisers of a team, but attacking the NFL on Rice, Hardy, Josh Brown).

Arc

And ESPN would be more than happy to give them away. The six's ratings are horrible

Yeah Smith doesn't have any leverage at all here unfortunately. The ratings are terrible and FS1 isn't doing well as a channel at all either.

Literally says ESPN in her bio and plugs her show on ESPN. It’s not a Personal account - She is on there to promote her brand, not take selfies and pictures of her dinner and share it with her friends.

She's popular and has a platform on ESPN because she's good at what she does (which presumably attracted ESPN) rather than them doing her a favor.

Now I don't like her latest tweets because what will do the most damage is people like her saying go after the advertisers vs. some random fan of the game doing it on their own. But that's another story.

IrishNinja

Now I don't like her latest tweets because what will do the most damage is people like her saying go after the advertisers vs. some random fan of the game doing it on their own. But that's another story.

random fans wouldn't know to do it without her speaking on it, though - that's how a platform works

Hmm the usual free speech wailers are not talking about this 🤔🤔🤔🤔
I was going to say that I can't be in every thread that involves free speech until I realized I was seeing this thread in my subscribed list.

As an ardent free speech advocate, I'll defend her. She has every right to call a spade a spade, and as I've said before, as long as her speech doesn't materially impact her work product or work environment, her employer shouldn't act on her personal exercise of her civil rights.
Unfortunately, advocating boycotting your employer's partner's advertisers, many of whom likely advertise on your employer's platform as well, probably crosses that line.

Top Bottom