• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

espn's Jemel Hill calls Trump a white supremacist. White House wants her fired

FLQCRwB.jpg

Pretty fucking much.

So... no player from the cowboys has ever kneeled for the anthem...

2 weeks ago, old boy was putting on a lil show for his baby kneel before the anthem....

Now there's a hard-line stance....

Hmmmmmm

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Remember ESPN has a contract with the NFL. I agree 100% percent with with Jemel, but ESPN has history of doing this. See Bill Simmons.

Every company these days has a tight social media policy.

That NFL deal is everything to them

NYR

Jemele on her work account telling people to boycott sponsors who might also be ESPN sponsors. You can't do that.
This. ESPN has been very loyal to her and she isn’t exactly returning the favor - she has free speech but their are consequences for that free speech especially if you talk against your employer and who is driving their business/profit (and your employment).

This. ESPN has been very loyal to her and she isn’t exactly returning the favor - she has free speech but their are consequences for that free speech especially if you talk against your employer and who is driving their business/profit (and your employment).

Is...is this satire?

Infinite

business and profits > human rights, justice and fairness.

old

I get why ESPN suspended her due to ESPN showing NFL games.

But still following her lead and boycotting Dr Pepper and Pepsi.

I didn't know she used her ESPN account to post this. I get why they suspended her, but they really didn't have to or could've just reminded her to use her personal account to post that stuff.

Still, fuck ESPN, fuck Jerry Jones, and fuck the Cowboys. They don't deserve a guy like Dak.

Lkr

Jemele on her work account telling people to boycott sponsors who might also be ESPN sponsors. You can't do that.
It’s a sports take though. Why do they hire her to give opinions if she’s gonna get in trouble for giving an opinion. Would she have been suspended for saying that on her show? Tbh if Max said something similar on First Take would anyone even notice?

Examples of ESPN being loyal to Jemele: When she stood up to a white supremacist, they tried to replace her on her show with another black host until all black people there refused.

Very very very loyal.

Can you believe they didn't even fire her when she stood up to white supremacists? So loyal.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I almost sorta kinda feel for the NFL. It's an awfully comfortable position to be in. Ratings and the like and youth participation are down. Off the field issues, poor play, etc..

..and this controversy isn't helping them. They don't want to alienate their players, and they don't want to alienate the fans and sponsors.

There's a lot of people who don't care about the kneeling, but are tired of the fact that their distraction from the political world is being made political. Trump and Pence's stupid ass actions just made it an even bigger story.

Trumps to blame for making this even bigger than it was.. if he just kept quiet instead of riling up his base the whole thing would have been what it has been since Kap.. a side protest.

I'd love to see the NFL come out in support of the players fully.

I just understand why they can't and they won't. They are going to have to pick a side real soon though as it's not dying down. Whatever position they take is going to piss people off.

..and all this over a stupid anthem that is a minute long that we all pretty much ignored before this started.

Also, someone hire Jemele.. she deserves a better employer.

CDV13

ESPN didn't have anything to say when Trump called for a boycott tho

Don't get me wrong, ESPN is a shithole & what Jemel said isn't bad, but Trump doesn't work for the company....Jemel does..... You don't want someone at your work mentioning boycotting the advertisers on your network (ESPN MNF games). It's like someone at working at Coca-Cola saying if they don't like Coke, boycott it.

Again, this should not matter, but this is not really relevant to the situaiton here.

I thought the President and his neo-nazi friends in the white house were ok with being called white supremecists. I mean, why else have they been acting this way for the last year?

cdyhybrid

What would they do, suspend him for 2 weeks?

Don't get me wrong, ESPN is a shithole & what Jemel said isn't bad, but Trump doesn't work for the company....Jemel does..... You don't want someone at your work mentioning boycotting the advertisers on your network (ESPN MNF games). It's like someone at working at Coca-Cola saying if they don't like Coke, boycott it.

Again, this should not matter, but this is not really relevant to the situaiton here.
This whole "you don't have to give a damn about anything but profit if you're a corporation" mindset is part of the problem. Expect more from them as a customer. They might actually give it to you.

Not

Banned
I get why ESPN suspended her due to ESPN showing NFL games.

But still following her lead and boycotting Dr Pepper and Pepsi.

Hey I've been doing that for 8 years! Probably why business is sagging for them.

Top Bottom