• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

espn's Jemel Hill calls Trump a white supremacist. White House wants her fired

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Sports and politics have always mixed.

I hate the "stick to sports" argument.

Yes, but it's a no win for ESPN in their eyes to talk politics which is why they tell their people not to talk politics.

I mean I agree with Hill on this, but it's obvious why ESPN would like to steer clear of this.

Yes, but it's a no win for ESPN in their eyes to talk politics which is why they tell their people not to talk politics.

I mean I agree with Hill on this, but it's obvious why ESPN would like to steer clear of this.

Except when they shit on Kaepernick.

The real issue is folks don't like when the politics aren't pro conservative.

Lkr

vzYcPRz.png
Y'all are missing the big picture with this tweet. It proves trump doesn't have the most basic understanding of our economy. Sure he is just parroting the alt right ESPN decline bullshit but it always needs to be pointed out people aren't simply no longer paying for ESPN. They are cutting cable entirely. Everyone is feeling the pressure from this

Y'all are missing the big picture with this tweet. It proves trump doesn't have the most basic understanding of our economy. Sure he is just parroting the alt right ESPN decline bullshit but it always needs to be pointed out people aren't simply no longer paying for ESPN. They are cutting cable entirely. Everyone is feeling the pressure from this

That's true, but I know people in real life who ditched ESPN for their "liberal views."

Servbot24

Banned

He knows that. You can't read any semblance of presumed truth in his tweets.

Lkr

That's true, but I know people in real life who ditched ESPN for their "liberal views."
Yes it is true that some people stopped watching espn, it is dangerous when the president is out there parroting this fake news propaganda though. You can also use those anecdotes for anything. I don't watch the bachelor because it's shit television but millions of Americans disagree with that apparently...🤔

effzee

ESPN backed themselves into a corner because of how terribly they've handled this situation. Hill should be given a medal for her comments but instead you have the press secretary saying she should be fired. Fuck ESPN for how they handled it and fuck the White House for bringing this up in the press briefing. The Deadspin quote below nails the situation perfectly.

Lol given a medal for her tweet?

Now I agree with her 100% but it's not shocking nor is it horrible that company wouldn't want an employee to label or attack the President on social media. Most corps have policies about this and monitor their employee's social media activity, esp if the employee has the platform on social media because of their position/role in the company.

The real anger should be placed at the WH and the hypocrisy of the conservatives who called Obama and his family who knows what and then act like what Hill did was unacceptable. They have no leg to stand on but ESPN is well within its right to discipline its own employees when they feel like they have crossed a line.

Just want to add my two cents....
Why the fuck is ESPN talking about politics. Why not fix their own shitty programming first.

If I do watch ESPN it's for sports scores or sports, not fucking politics.

Except this was on twitter and not on ESPN.

ESPN isn't talking politics. This is another BS made up myth by the right. ESPN has 4-5 channels and when they aren't showing live sports, they CAN NO LONGER just show highlights or scores if they want to survive in the market. They aren't the sole source of highlights, scores, and most ppl don't even both checking those on ESPN when they can have that instantaneously on their phones/devices from 100 diff sources.

ESPN tv programming has moved more and more towards debate shows similar to sports talk radio because people actually tune in for that. It's why First Take works (ratings-wise).

And on these shows, you will have race, politics, and sports mix when you have the administration we have and when you have social issues like players sticking up against police brutality.

ESPN can't just stick to sports. They cover many issues and you can't just stick your head in the sand and pretend the world the athletes live in and endure doesn't exist.

Except they have a large group of ppl on air and radio who defend Kaepernick. ESPN as a channel has no official stance on Kaepernick.

effzee

I challenged one of these ppl I know in real life. They haven't quit or ditched ESPN cause apparently they know who and what is said by each ESPN personality every single day.

When I asked for examples of thier liberal views or agenda, all they can provide are some debate clips from FT where Maz or SAS are arguing with Will Cain. When I point out how can the network be liberal when they have conservtive commentators like Will Cain, they go quite or talk about other examples that they don't have time to find right now.

Yes it is true that some people stopped watching espn, it is dangerous when the president is out there parroting this fake news propaganda though. You can also use those anecdotes for anything. I don't watch the bachelor because it's shit television but millions of Americans disagree with that apparently...🤔

I'm not making a case for Trump's batshit insane tweets, just giving an anecdote as you said.

Lkr

I challenged one of these ppl I know in real life. They haven't quit or ditched ESPN cause apparently they know who and what is said by each ESPN personality every single day.

When I asked for examples of thier liberal views or agenda, all they can provide are some debate clips from FT where Maz or SAS are arguing with Will Cain. When I point out how can the network be liberal when they have conservtive commentators like Will Cain, they go quite or talk about other examples that they don't have time to find right now.
The people that say espn is liberal are something else tbh. SAS has a hot take that you disagree with? He must be a dirty librulll hell bent on destroying our country!
What they really despise is that espn hires black and brown folks to give their opinion on sports. They are quite different from Fox News in that regard where every single person is an old white man or a young white blonde woman

I'm surprised he didn't mention ESPN's massive layoffs from earlier this year in his tweets.

Now I agree with her 100% but it's not shocking nor is it horrible that company wouldn't want an employee to label or attack the President on social media. Most corps have policies about this and monitor their employee's social media activity, esp if the employee has the platform on social media because of their position/role in the company.

This here, however much I don't agree with plenty of "corporate policy" in big companies. I literally sat through a Disney/ESPN HR session upon starting here that spelled out in no unclear terms the social media policy, which all employees go through, along with several social media scenarios of "does this go against the code of conduct" (this is literally from Disney, not just ESPN).

Tawpgun

I'm confused.

Tons of comedians and talk show hosts on big broadcast networks have done the same or alluded to it. Why haven't they been singled out?

I'm confused.

Tons of comedians and talk show hosts on big broadcast networks have done the same or alluded to it. Why haven't they been singled out?

Because white supremacists are delicate flowers who want to be able to watch their sports without being reminding how utterly repulsive their views are. They probably have long given up watching those comedy/talk shows other than those on fox news because it hurt their feelings too much.

Lkr

I'm confused.

Are they black? The stick to sports crowd always comes out for black and brown athletes and media members. Tim Tebow is a hero for saying his prayers on the sidelines and preeching in his interviews but Kaep needs to stick to sports for example.

Cagey

Banned
I'm confused.

She's a woman.

She's a black woman.

She's a black woman sports news anchor, so politics aren't seen as her/their domain to comment on. She's on ESPN, not CNN, etc.

It's similar to War on Christmas culture wars type shit, with the difference that we now live in a world where we get official WH commentary on these issues.

Draxal

They canned Curt, problem is that most traditional consumers of sports media are conservative.

For example, NYC liberal bastion of the world. The big three radio broadcasters ... well two now were Trumpers (Francesa/Boomer/Carton).

All this talk about ESPN, politics and Trump reminds me how much conservative pundits on Fox News openly hated on soccer everytime there was a World Cup. Except this time the broadcasting rights are Fox's to use for the very first time.

Needless to say it will be extremely interesting to see if Fox News bashes on soccer for it being the favorite sport of dirty immigrants now that its sister channels are going to have it (over the air FOX, FS1,and FS2).

But I digress. Fuck Trump.

I know everyone loves to shit on steven a/first take and skip bayless/undisputed, but both those shows address politics in and out of sports all the time.

I love the idea that ESPN, the network that unleashed Skip "I became famous by accusing Troy Aikman of being a homosexual" Bayless and Stephen A. "I publicly threaten NBA players" Smith on the world now wants to pretend like they have actual news standards and values.

RDreamer

Wonder what she did specifically. Looking through her twitter and there's nothing that bad. Is she just not supposed to talk about the issues facing the NFL now?

I'm pretty sure she's getting suspended because she said that Jerry Jones forcing the players to stand puts the black players in a tough position, I'll try to find the tweet.

Either way though, it's extremely dumb

mreddie

So she said people should boycott the Cowboys advertisers (Pepsi, Miller) and why do I get the feeling Roger Goodell had a say in this?

I'm pretty sure she's getting suspended because she said that Jerry Jones forcing the players to stand puts the black players in a tough position, I'll try to find the tweet.

Either way though, it's extremely dumb

Jesus Christ it does, fuck this white supremacist country

Top Bottom