• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

espn's Jemel Hill calls Trump a white supremacist. White House wants her fired

Lkr

I fully agree with and support everything she said but i don't see how she could say what she said in a public fashion and NOT have people instinctively (albeit erroneously) link it back to ESPN which suggests the only other alternative would have been not to say it at all.
The response for the most part is disgusting. People are tweeting the most vile shit at her and she's being made out to be the bad guy (bad woman?).
I don't watch either the six or his and hers when it was on. I am not in the demographic (traditional debate between host shows have become boring to me) for either show and they don't appeal to me. At this point the conversation usually reaches a stopping point because most shit I've seen people post about not being a fan of the six is seemingly more often than not some white people upset they "gave sportscenter to black people" than anything else. I haven't watched sportscenter in years, has nothing to do with who is hosting it now. So I'm not even a fan of hers and I'll tell you espn would be making a huge mistake by firing her for this.
The only personalities I make time for that are still on espn are Bomani Jones and everyone on The Dan Lebatard Show/Highly Questionable. Those shows say way more "inflammatory" (I'm not sure which word to use here but the truth usually inflames the racist mob on twitter) shit on espn airwaves than Jemele said on her twitter account. Hell, it's easy to argue sometimes that Lebatard is personally trying to incite people against him. But they still never get into any real trouble.
Tl;dr don't care for the six at all, but if espn was to seriously punish jemele I would be disturbed by the precedent. You can't compare this shit to what Curt Schilling did multiple times before getting fired.

Teletraan1

Banned
She is 100% correct.

However when you represent not only yourself but also the company you work for as a public figure(her twitter has ESPN shit all over it) you have to keep your social media outbursts to a minimum and bland as fuck or you risk your status with your employer, maybe not fired due to bad optics, but maybe she doesn't get pushed as much or they phase her out slowly. Was it worth it for her to potentially risk her livelihood to state such an obvious yet somehow still politically charged thing publicly? I guess that is ultimately only up to her to decide.

Also from all the garbage that comes out of DT's Twitter how dare the White House ask for anyone to be fired for anything that appears on anyone else's.

She is 100% correct.

However when you represent not only yourself but also the company you work for as a public figure(her twitter has ESPN shit all over it) you have to keep your social media outbursts to a minimum and bland as fuck or you risk your status with your employer, maybe not fired due to bad optics, but maybe she doesn't get pushed as much or they phase her out slowly. Was it worth it for her to potentially risk her livelihood to state such an obvious yet somehow still politically charged thing publicly? I guess that is ultimately only up to her to decide.

Also from all the garbage that comes out of DT's Twitter how dare the White House ask for anyone to be fired for anything that appears on anyone else's.

to play devils adovcate, why hire a personality to share opinions if they cant share opinions?

platocplx

She is 100% correct.

its crazy that you think someone is risking their livelihood to combat white supremacy. Especially when it has been see in the highest office in the nation and the people who he is surrounded with.

I could understand this if this was some radical belief. Its not. White supremacy is americas original sin and its absurd that anyone would have their jobs at risk for calling out someone who said "there were good people on both sides" when we had nazi and white supremacists. So honestly any company firing someone for this is insane when you literally have had donald trump himself call the previous president a racist.

hbkdx12

Good to see black people sticking together.

Fuck ESPN. They damn well know that if they weren't at risk of facing an even bigger backlash from replacing them with white hosts, that would have been their first option and they would have done it before you can even say SC6

Ok it's one thing to come out with the original statement but trying to replace her with another black co-host to cover their asses? Fuck you ESPN

Smith is good people and doesn't seem like the type to get pushed around.

Black people are nothing more than props to be used for good PR for these fuckers.

Jackpot

Banned
The government is literally trying to get a black woman fired for speaking out.

It's like the definition of trampling 1st amendment rights but the "muh freeze peach" crowd are all in hiding.

UberTag

The government is literally trying to get a black woman fired for speaking out.

It's like the definition of trampling 1st amendment rights but the "muh freeze peach" crowd are all in hiding.
Not only are they literally trying to get a black woman fired for speaking the truth about your white supremacist of a leader... but they would have SUCCEEDED in doing so had Jemele's co-workers not put their foot down to ESPN management.

RBH

According to two sources who spoke with Lindsay Gibbs of ThinkProgress, ESPN originally wanted to keep Hill off the show that evening, but her co-host Michael Smith refused to appear without her.

ESPN then tried finding two replacements, but that didn’t work either:

Both sources also said that producers reached out to two other black ESPN hosts, Michael Eaves and Elle Duncan, to ask them serve as fill-ins for the show — but Eaves and Duncan did not agree to take the place of Hill and Smith, either.

When none of the four black hosts would budge, and the only other option was two white people hosting SportsCenter, ESPN relented and allowed Hill and Smith on the air, according to Gibbs.
http://deadspin.com/report-espn-tried-to-sub-out-jemele-hill-for-last-nigh-1811489188

blakep267

Hmm. So I remember twitter saying black people were overreacting when pewdie said the n word and it's just words get over it. Are they saying the same thing now

hbkdx12

Well, yeah, but ESPN was afraid of using white people. It's right there in the article.
wsod.gif

keuja

She could have said also piece of trash or sexist or whiny man child or incompetent idiot. All of them 100% truth.

Geist-

This feels like some kind of both sides bullshit because of all the white supremacists who were outed and lost jobs after Charlottesville.

Top Bottom