• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

espn's Jemel Hill calls Trump a white supremacist. White House wants her fired

Ponn

Banned
So they really have successfully turned calling people racist into as bad as calling someone an actual racial slur? When you can't call someone racist, racism no longer exists i guess.

This is so fucking stupid.

RPGCrazied

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 20m20 minutes ago

ESPN is paying a really big price for its politics (and bad programming). People are dumping it in RECORD numbers. Apologize for untruth!

Its up!

How long do you think it'll take him before he starts calling her out by name? Really, this is what you think about is ESPN? When the world is crumbling, you think about what some woman said, free speech you asshole.

Brinbe

Stupidest non-controversy ever. She's right. So why the fucking idiotic response? ESPN should be ashamed for trying to both sides this shit. Shows that the only color they respect is green, even if that does come from white supremacists.

And I fucking hate that these racist assholes always cry about getting politics or social issues out of sport when those things have always been ingrained into the very fabric of sport.

These douchebags probably have no problem watching some college football or NFL games with all these black people they hate so much.

Kill3r7

Maybe, IDK. Still no excuse for Rush, though.

ESPN is always looking for ways to improve viewership numbers. One could argue that they added Rush at their peak but a similar move would not surprise me today. Either way the free speech folks should speak up on this.

Sanjuro

vzYcPRz.png

platocplx

Stupidest non-controversy ever. She's right. So why the fucking idiotic response? ESPN should be ashamed for trying to both sides this shit. Shows that the only color they respect is green, even if that does come from white supremacists.

And I fucking hate that these racist assholes always cry about getting politics or social issues out of sport when those things have always been ingrained into the very fabric of sport.

These douchebags probably have no problem watching some college football or NFL games with all these black people they hate so much.

And if they really don't care about who the players are and their experiences off the field in two predominantly black leauges( NBA and NFL) they can go and watch something else. ( they won't though)

effzee

The dumbest myth which always is brought up is how because of the conservative backlash ESPN is losing viewers or subscribers.

I can't stand it. ESPN is losing subscription just like all of the cable industry is. Most ppl don't have the option to opt out of just ESPN.

bionic77

The dumbest myth which always is brought up is how because of the conservative backlash ESPN is losing viewers or subscribers.

I can't stand it. ESPN is losing subscription just like all of the cable industry is. Most ppl don't have the option to opt out of just ESPN.
Take the facts and apply some conservative thinking to it.

Millennials hate cable AND black people.

Welcome to to the Republican party.

Kill3r7

They're dumping it in RECORD numbers guys

RECORD

NUMBERS

I know you are joking but unfortunately for ESPN this has been true for the last few years. It is a major issue because if sports viewership goes down those multi billion dollar contracts become unsustainable.

EDIT: it has little to do with politics and more to do with folks ditching cable or the younger generation not caring about sports as much. When I was in college over a decade ago, we had a TV in the apt dedicated just to ESPN.

I know you are joking but unfortunately for ESPN this has been true for the last few years. It is a major issue because if sports viewership goes down those multi billion dollar contracts become unsustainable.

I know, it's just the absurdity of it all. It's so ridiculous to hear a grown man and a president bitching about ESPN's ratings because he got called a white supremacist.

Socivol

I know, it's just the absurdity of it all. It's so ridiculous to hear a grown man and a president bitching about ESPN's ratings because he got called a white supremacist.
Mind you he still hasn't signed that joint resolution denouncing white supremecy while doing all of this Twitter bitching, thus proving her comment.

The government is literally trying to get a black woman fired for speaking out.

It's like the definition of trampling 1st amendment rights but the "muh freeze peach" crowd are all in hiding.

It's the reminder that black people were added as an addendum to the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Fox News for 8 years: "Kenyan Mulsim anti-Christ trying to destroy this country and upend the white establishment! Michelle looks like a man!"

Trump: "He's not even from America! Where's his birth certificate?! College degrees?!"

Half of America: "They're right! Terrible man! Kenyan! We need to hang him!"

----

Jemele: "Trump is a white supremacist"

Half of America: "HOLY SHIT RACISM!!! Respect the President!! How unAmerican!"

Two Words

Fox News for 8 years: "Kenyan Mulsim anti-Christ trying to destroy this country and upend the white establishment! Michelle looks like a man!"

Trump: "He's not even from America! Where's his birth certificate?! College degrees?!"

Half of America: "They're right! Terrible man! Kenyan! We need to hang him!"

----

Jemele: "Trump is a white supremacist"

Half of America: "HOLY SHIT RACISM!!! Respect the President!! How unAmerican!"

To be fair, that half of America is being pretty consistently shitty.

akileese

So they really have successfully turned calling people racist into as bad as calling someone an actual racial slur? When you can't call someone racist, racism no longer exists i guess.

This is so fucking stupid.

ESPN backed themselves into a corner because of how terribly they've handled this situation. Hill should be given a medal for her comments but instead you have the press secretary saying she should be fired. Fuck ESPN for how they handled it and fuck the White House for bringing this up in the press briefing. The Deadspin quote below nails the situation perfectly.

The only lesson to draw from this is that ESPN fucked themselves. If they had never allowed disingenuous squawking from clowns like Clay Travis and Britt McHenry to scare them into admonishing Hill, this issue would have never made its way into the White House press room. This mess is entirely a creation of ESPN’s own corporate cowardice.

Honestly I'm shocked they didn't use this as an excuse to out both of them considering the ratings haven't been great. That being said, I'm cackling that they are now trapped for a while even if the show has bad ratings because the shit storm of PR they would get would be even worse for ratings. FUCK ESPN

Just want to add my two cents....
Why the fuck is ESPN talking about politics. Why not fix their own shitty programming first.

If I do watch ESPN its for sports scores or sports not fucking politics.

Infinite

Honestly I'm shocked they didn't use this as an excuse to out both of them considering the ratings haven't been great. That being said, I'm cackling that they are now trapped for a while even if the show has bad ratings because the shit storm of PR they would get would be even worse for ratings. FUCK ESPN
What's even considered good ratings on this channel anymore?

Top Bottom