• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ET found in landfill [Xbox troll = ban]

The Flash

Banned
I'm only skeptical. Nothing more, nothing less.
Can i have the right to be skeptical?
BKLorenzo's tag
Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!

Never let it be said we denied any man his God-given right to be a fool.

BU42q.gif

Danlord

Apologies if this was brought up but I did search 'DeLorean' in the search and found no results.

I found this image on ArsTechnica about the dig, and this shows up

delorean.jpg

Anyone whom recognises the license plate knows this is Ernest Cline's DeLorean, author of "Ready Player One", a nice 80's theme going for the dig. I'm liking the attention this is getting and will be very interested to watch the video(s) when it's published.

RedStep

Well if this is true then it's very interesting and kinda cool.

Ah, so it is interesting to you.

Personally I think they sold have left it alone. What's the point of this really?

Wait, they shouldn't have done it and there's no point.

I don't like how this is probably going to be part of Xbox one original programming. It's an interesting part of gaming that should be available to everyone.

But now it's significant enough that it should be available to everyone.

Microsoft being behind this doesn't sit well with me for some reason. Not trying to gather a conspiracy but just doesn't sit right with me .

No wait, you just don't like MS. And it's not a conspiracy but it's a conspiracy.

Makes sense.

Oh man. It is a pity he didn't found it first for his movie.

Well, he's not making a documentary,, but instead a fictional take on the Atari 2600 cartridge unburying, so there would have been no first for him. But James did comment on his blog that he wanted to be there but couldn't because it was his daughters first birthday. But if anything, having this so close to his movie will only make the release of the AVGN movie more timely.

Adventure was a great game and it also started my love for RPG's. Back in those days it was a refreshing change to most games that had a static image and just waves upon waves of enemies, which was still great back then, but when Adventure came out it was really different.

Adventure is a deeply under-appreciated title in gaming history. Zork and Akalabeth get their (rightful) due for their influence on adventure and role-playing games, but Adventure was a brilliant (and sneakily influential) title in its own right.

mrgone

Apologies if this was brought up but I did search 'DeLorean' in the search and found no results.

delorean.jpg

Anyone whom recognises the license plate knows this is Ernest Cline's DeLorean, author of "Ready Player One", a nice 80's theme going for the dig. I'm liking the attention this is getting and will be very interested to watch the video(s) when it's published.

So now that the ET carts are real, does that mean the hoverboards are real too?

delorean.jpg

I'm looking forward to watching this also :)

border

So exactly how many old games did they uncover? None of the photos or descriptions really seem to convey the size or scale of the find.

delorean.jpg

Also interesting to note (for those who missed it) is that the 2600 shown in this picture is none other than Keith Apicary's

qJXWEsv.jpg

Dai101

Banned
So exactly how many old games did they uncover? None of the photos or descriptions really seem to convey the size or scale of the find.

Well they are still digging. And is not just dig and fill buckets. NO. It's a dedicated almost archeological dig, they are going to count, separate and catalogue all of it.

Well if this is true then it's very interesting and kinda cool. Personally I think they sold have left it alone. What's the point of this really?

I don't like how this is probably going to be part of Xbox one original programming. It's an interesting part of gaming that should be available to everyone.

Microsoft being behind this doesn't sit well with me for some reason. Not trying to gather a conspiracy but just doesn't sit right with me .
There is so much contradiction in this post

Oh, I now see someone already pointed that out

AlexMogil

After giving the thread a good full onceover, I'm confused how this became an urban legend at all. I don't understand how something with so much documentation retroactively becomes reported as a rumor for decades.

Atari wouldn't comment because it would be a very black mark on their business and a expose their hubris. The landfill was private property. All that speculation with no one willing to corroborate with any solid information. That's the stuff of rumors.

I don't think this is so much about Atari and the physical cartridges, it's all about Nintendo and Europe. Nintendo was petrified of entering the US market because of this very incident and the business surrounding it. It also nearly eliminated cart-based American game programming, which then opened Europe up for gaming studios on the NES and eventually the Atari and Commodore 64 systems - all of which ended up selling ok in the US.

I think people should appreciate this for what it physically is but also for what it represents to us as gamers! Would we have the same games available in the US we have today without this event?

^^^^ :lol at that kid's face. "Good god, this game sucks."

I know he's probably just squinting from the sunlight. Don't confuse me with the facts!

udiie

Well if this is true then it's very interesting and kinda cool. Personally I think they sold have left it alone. What's the point of this really?

10/10 sarcasm right?!?

Dai101

Banned
Atari wouldn't comment because it would be a very black mark on their business and a expose their hubris. The landfill was private property. All that speculation with no one willing to corroborate with any solid information. That's the stuff of rumors.

I don't think this is so much about Atari and the physical cartridges, it's all about Nintendo and Europe. Nintendo was petrified of entering the US market because of this very incident and the business surrounding it. It also nearly eliminated cart-based American game programming, which then opened Europe up for gaming studios on the NES and eventually the Atari and Commodore 64 systems - all of which ended up selling ok in the US.

I think people should appreciate this for what it physically is but also for what it represents to us as gamers! Would we have the same games available in the US we have today without this event?

Also, thanks to that we ended with the shitty NES design, ROB and every other bullshit nintendo make to differentiate from a video game console.

Lol. I'm amazed they were actually able to find it (and that it's really true). I was certain they'd come up with nothing.
Dunno, I always believed it was true, and people on most of the sites I went to believed it too.

I only heard about this in 2007, and considering the consequences this game had on Atari and the industry as a whole (besides having massive stock), it made sense to me that they would actually bury it all in a desert.

Sean*O

I'm really confused, GAF.

Was the rumour "Atari buried some games in the New Mexico desert" (for which there is documented evidence) or that "Atari buried 1,000,000+ (crushed?) copies of ET because they couldn't sell it" (the rumour as I understand it)?

It seems there is evidence for the former, and not yet the latter, but people who are skeptical are being called out. The idea that Atari buried miscellaneous excess stock in a landfill is much, much less interesting than the idea that they buried millions of copies of a bad game. I'm not seeing any myth proving here.

Analogy-wise, it would be like draining the Loch Ness and finding that the monster is a slightly larger than normal seal. "How did it get there? Myth confirmed!". No. No it bloody well isn't. It isn't the Loch Ness Monster, according to descriptions.

I'd always heard it was a million copies, not 250 or so. If that's all there is then this isn't the stuff of legend at all.

The condition those carts are in after so many years is kinda scary. Think about all the other synthetic trash we have just sitting below the surface virtually unchanged by time.
Edit: if this has already been said, ignore. I haven't read all 15 pages.

Megatron

^^^^ :lol at that kid's face. "Good god, this game sucks."

I know he's probably just squinting from the sunlight. Don't confuse me with the facts!

And sadly even if it wasn't the sunlight, he'd probably be making that face at any Atari or even NES game.

3bdelilah

Banned
The Atari era was way before my time, but why did they bury it? I'm aware of the video game crash, but why not other possible means of disposal? Burying it, only to be found 30 years later, sounds so... dramatic and at the same time poetic.

sunofsam

Major sure knows how to pull off a hard hat.

BmK7FHpIMAE5dTA.jpg

Haha, I love the Major but he literally looks like a dickhead. Just needs more purple, the dust mask looking like an ascot is tying thee whole look together.

I had ET as a kid on my Gemini (Atari knockoff). Still don't remember the plot other than making his head go up and down and making noise.

danwarb

The condition those carts are in after so many years is kinda scary. Think about all the other synthetic trash we have just sitting below the surface virtually unchanged by time.
Edit: if this has already been said, ignore. I haven't read all 15 pages.

The boxes were in those plastic wraps? And in a desert landfill. If they weren't crushed they should be ok.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I had ET as a kid on my Gemini (Atari knockoff). Still don't remember the plot other than making his head go up and down and making noise.

And falling down pits, sniffing flowers, floating back up, eating reese's pieces, running from agents, finding bits of phone, and eventually getting a splash screen signifying that you had somehow beaten the game.

Still have no idea on exactly how it all fit together :)

Jimez

Banned
Wonder if any of the carts still work. I don't think anyone would want to try it, seeing as this caused the 1983 video game crash.

It is scary to think that even after 30 odd years, they look as good as new (give or take a few)

danwarb

The Atari era was way before my time, but why did they bury it? I'm aware of the video game crash, but why not other possible means of disposal? Burying it, only to be found 30 years later, sounds so... dramatic and at the same time poetic.
They secured the rights to ET and made far too many copies of a terrible game.

I don't know that it was terrible, I haven't played it.

And falling down pits, sniffing flowers, floating back up, eating reese's pieces, running from agents, finding bits of phone, and eventually getting a splash screen signifying that you had somehow beaten the game.

Still have no idea on exactly how it all fit together :)

Watch this walkthrough video from 1982: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLFzzjzcx6k

It was taken from some VHS called "How To Beat Home Video Games" and eplains everything in good detail. ET is no where near as cryptic as Indiana Jones on the Atari 2600, but it's still quite confusing to play if you have no instructions. I was clueless on how to play this game too, when I was a kid.

Watch this walkthrough video from 1982: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLFzzjzcx6k

It was taken from some VHS called "How To Beat Home Video Games" and eplains everything in good detail. ET is no where near as cryptic as Indiana Jones on the Atari 2600, but it's still quite confusing to play if you have no instructions. I was clueless on how to play this game too, when I was a kid.
It's impossible to figure out what to do on your own. It's way too cryptic. What a horrible game. Atari did the right thing back in 1982 and put E.T exactly where it belonged.

GDGF

Soothsayer

Oh I managed to beat it back when I was 5! I just have no idea what sequence of things I did made that happen ;)

Thanks for the vid though. Time to find out what the hell I was doing.

It's impossible to figure out what to do on your own. It's way too cryptic. What a horrible game. Atari did the right thing back in 1982 and put E.T exactly where it belonged.

Not impossible at all, I beat the game back in the day with just the basic instruction manual and no extra help. Not a good game, but not all that cryptic. Indiana Jones was a FAR better game, one of the few full adventure games on Atari, and more complicated too. Definitely need the instructions with that game, but in those days people *read* the instructions, they were seen as part of the game, not something optional to skip. People enjoyed the instructions just as much as the rest of the game.

They manufactured more copies than there were systems to run it on (they made the same mistake with Pac Man), and they spent at the time the most amount of money EVER for a single movie license, before the game flopped. At the time, not many people really cared about the damage we were doing to the environment, so the cheapest, easiest solution was to drive them down to a garbage dump and, well, dump them. Atari then went the extra step and crushed them and (reports say) covered them in concrete to keep people from going out and recovering cartridges, and putting them on sale, taking away from Atari's sales.

Top Bottom